Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,706MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    If Zimmer is going to have his name connected to a Bond film, I’m pretty sure he is going to get personally involved so it isn’t just a box ticking mediocre affair. Well, you’d think, wouldn’t you.

I'm sure he'd get involved, but how much he can do depends on how much time he has. I'm sure he's a very busy man and I doubt he can just slot a new film into his schedule easily. I'm not a huge fan but I'll be interested to see what he'd bring to it as he's clearly very talented.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    I can't find anything on the Internet saying Romer's out except mi6. Not even the Daily Mail!

So, I dunno.

Yeah it's all a bit unclear. It seems like something might be up but it's not concrete yet. Some films don't seem to get their replacement composers announced at all, and some only three months or so before the film is out, so it's hard to be sure.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    FWIW Lorne Balfe is following Fukunaga on Instagram and Benjamin Wallfisch is not following Cary. John Powell is not following Fukunaga either. Henry Jackman doesn't appear to be on Instagram.

Grasping at straws again?
    Number24 wrote:
    If Rohmer is/gets replaced, will this result in the title song being more integrated into the score? I hope so.

If Romer is replaced, it's less likely for the new composer to work on the title song considering how early on Sam Smith wrote the song for Spectre. On the other hand, if one of Zimmer's guys gets the job they may be willing to incorporate someone else's theme in the score since that's their speciality. They don't seem to have a problem working with others' compositions
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    If Rohmer is/gets replaced, will this result in the title song being more integrated into the score? I hope so.

If Romer is replaced, it's less likely for the new composer to work on the title song considering how early on Sam Smith wrote the song for Spectre. On the other hand, if one of Zimmer's guys gets the job they may be willing to incorporate someone else's theme in the score since that's their speciality. They don't seem to have a problem working with others' compositions

Indeed, plus they may well be creating the score far later than Bond composers usually do, so the song may well have been written by then which you'd think would actually make it easier to integrate. I think often when Arnold or Newman were presented with the song it was too late for them to do much with it.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Yes. I didn't mean the composer would work on the title song (even though that may happen), but the composer integrating the melody of the song into the soundtrack.
    Number24 wrote:
    Yes. I didn't mean the composer would work on the title song (even though that may happen), but the composer integrating the melody of the song into the soundtrack.

Yeah; I'm not too worried if it is or isn't as I don't think it's all that essential, but I know a lot of people like that so hopefully it happens.
    Number24 wrote:

From Russia with Love is the only time a composer integrated a title song they didn't compose into the score (and Barry may have had a hand in composing that title song since Lionel Bart wasn't really a composer). Arnold and Newman briefly used title songs they didn't write in their scores, and I think the brevity had more to do with them not writing the songs than it did with them not having the song written in time.
    edited December 2019
    Matt S wrote:
    From Russia with Love is the only time a composer integrated a title song they didn't compose into the score

I'm pretty sure George Martin used McCartney's song a fair bit in his score too ;)

None of 'em since '62 composed the Bond theme and not many had much of issue putting those in(!) so they should be able to cope with a song melody. I feel like perhaps Hamlisch is maybe the one who uses the Bond theme the least..?
    emtiem wrote:
    Well none of 'em since '62 composed the Bond theme and not many had much of issue putting those in! I'm pretty sure George Martin used McCartney's song a fair bit in his score too ;)

That's why I said "title song". Martin had a hand in the LALD theme.
    Matt S wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Well none of 'em since '62 composed the Bond theme and not many had much of issue putting those in! I'm pretty sure George Martin used McCartney's song a fair bit in his score too ;)

You also said 'compose' :) Martin didn't compose it.
    emtiem wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

You also said 'compose' :) Martin didn't compose it.

Yes, you're correct. I should have clarified that in my initial statement.
    Thanks for being reasonable :) It's interesting they're the only two to do it throughout. I guess, as you mention, Arnold quotes the Jack White song here and there but it's fairly blink-and-you-miss-it.
    I actually think Madonna's DAD could have been effective in an orchestral form, but I guess there was no time for it. LTK would've been good too, but it doesn't seem to match Kamen's style to use a full theme like that.

As the Bond theme is also a piece of music composed by someone else, who do you think used the Bond theme the least? I reckon it could be Hamlisch...? It pops up a couple of times but it's fairly isolated. Newman actually liberally uses it in Spectre, and even Serra used it here and there.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:

As the Bond theme is also a piece of music composed by someone else, who do you think used the Bond theme the least?

Arnold in CR06. Deliberately withheld (except for a bar or two) till the finale.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Zimmer or his crew could turn out a great soundtrack. He's certainly done some terrific ones in the past, and they couldn't be any worse than Newman's mostly forgettable sonic wallpaper. I like David Arnold, but a lot of his work sounds the same and his "action music" is often discordant compared to the more steady work of John Barry.

You can't use the criticism of "a lot of his work sounds the same" when also talking about Zimmer (and Zimmer's crew) and Barry. You can say that about even better film composers like Jerry Goldsmith (in his last two decades) and John Williams.
    Of course you can if a lot of the music sounds discordant. Arnold works best when his incidental music is slower and melodic -- the bit in CR when Bond gets off the seaplane, for instance, and sometimes when sped up, like the part driving to the hotel. Iike his music for the teaser in TND and the parking garage scene in that movie, too. But a lot of his action music can sound like a trunk full of notes being thrown down the stairs. All composers have their styles depending on genre and purpose

Zimmer may be no more repetitive, but his minimalism stands out. I like his work. His soundtracks for Nolan's Batman films are terrific, as we're his scores for The Thin Red Line and Dunkirk, among others. Not everyone will agree, but I'd be fine with his doing NTTD
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    FWIW Lorne Balfe is following Fukunaga on Instagram and Benjamin Wallfisch is not following Cary. John Powell is not following Fukunaga either. Henry Jackman doesn't appear to be on Instagram.

Grasping at straws again?

No more than usual.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Unless EON gets Arnold back or Michael Giacchino, whoever ends up doing the score will engender serious debate on the AJB :)) .
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited December 2019
    I rarely repost news from the Exceedingly accurate and incredibly true rumours about Bond25 thread, but I'm making an exeption. I promise this is just as true as everything else on that thread …. :v

Hallstein Bromskimlet, an artist who lives in a town near me and mainly survives on state grants, says a he has a method to compose a soundtrack for NTTD in time. EON is intrigued by the idea. Personally I suspect parts of Eric Serra's soundtrack for GE was composed in the same way ….

a07db93e4aeb79236b2b1f62e9072867.jpg
    Barbel wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

As the Bond theme is also a piece of music composed by someone else, who do you think used the Bond theme the least?

Arnold in CR06. Deliberately withheld (except for a bar or two) till the finale.

Oh yeah: of course! :)
  • JET007JET007 Austin, TXPosts: 184MI6 Agent
    Although it would delight my cousin to no end, I'd dread Zimmer and his ilk on NTTD. I'd want something brassy and melodic for Craig's final turn, not droning notes with heavy percussion.
    @JaviTru on Twitter and @TheBondIsNotEnough on Instagram. Occasional contributor to thejamesbonddossier.com
    JET007 wrote:
    Although it would delight my cousin to no end, I'd dread Zimmer and his ilk on NTTD. I'd want something brassy and melodic for Craig's final turn, not droning notes with heavy percussion.
    Have you read Zimmer’s IMDB entry? How many of his 210 scores do you think you could characterise as ‘droning notes’? Driving Miss Daisy?
  • JET007JET007 Austin, TXPosts: 184MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    JET007 wrote:
    Have you read Zimmer’s IMDB entry? How many of his 210 scores do you think you could characterise as ‘droning notes’? Driving Miss Daisy?

It's funny you bring that up. We recently watched The Holiday and I couldn't believe he did the score. Also, I wouldn't say that about ASM2, but he also teamed up with several people on that. When I think of modern Zimmer, I thing of non-melodies, though
    @JaviTru on Twitter and @TheBondIsNotEnough on Instagram. Occasional contributor to thejamesbonddossier.com
    JET007 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    JET007 wrote:

It's funny you bring that up. We recently watched The Holiday and I couldn't believe he did the score. Also, I wouldn't say that about ASM2, but he also teamed up with several people on that. When I think of modern Zimmer, I thing of non-melodies, though

But as you know that’s far from all he’s capable of it seems odd to dread him doing it because of just of the styles he’s used over the years.
    emtiem wrote:
    JET007 wrote:

The vast majority of his scores in recent memory are droning notes, but he used to write memorable melodies. Now, do you think anyone is hiring him today because he used to write melodic music?
    edited January 2020
    Ok it's official now......NTTD Happy New Year double shot at my local megaplex tonight.
    Saw the NTTD trailer in the Dolby Cinema w/ the new Star Wars (the trailer has much, much more impact on that 60' wide screen w/ Dolby Atmos Sound) :) and also saw this in its' 8 feet tall glory at the theater (sorry for the crappy cellphone photo):

20191231-183714-1.jpg
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    JET007 wrote:

The vast majority of his scores in recent memory are droning notes, but he used to write memorable melodies. Now, do you think anyone is hiring him today because he used to write melodic music?
    Zimmer is arguably my favorite composer at the moment but I agree with Matt that the vast majority of his recent scores are mostly droning notes and simplistic motifs.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I agree with gassy man that Zimmer’s work in the Nolan Batman trilogy was excellent. I also like his work in Interstellar, and a few others. But to Matt’s point, the sound he is known for just doesn’t stand out to me as Bondian. So unless he’s going to do something different (which is obviously possible), a Zimmer score will not give me what I’m hoping for out of a Bond score.
    Matt S wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    JET007 wrote:

The Lion King? Boss Baby? Kung Fu Panda 3? Spongebob 2? :D He really does do more than just the occasional Chris Nolan film you know ;)
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    FWIW David Arnold and Lorne Balfe are tweeting each other...
    https://twitter.com/DavidGArnold/status/1212503748083359747?s=20
    They’re both film score composers so it’s not surprising.
    Been checking out some of Balfe's work. I like the MI:Fallout score, especially his takes / incorporation of the iconic MI theme. He also utilized a good amount of brass and some Max Steiner/Barry-like musical punctuation to action. Balfe's score for 6 Underground is pretty decent also but unfortunately is pushed to the back by that film's awful use of some grating contemporary techno/rock or whatever it's called. Of course, 6 Underground is a Michael Bay film so I'm sure the music is a reflection of how Bay uses music while NTTD, as was MI:Fallout, could be a much better opportunity for Balfe to shine.
  • Bruno BananiBruno Banani Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    edited January 2020
    As I was watching the trailer premiere event I noticed immediately how short Craig looked amoungst that group of people.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWt08BlZM8&t=145

Whoever is responsible for not preventing Craig from looking the smallest person on stage during that event, should be fired immediately !

chci-2g-860e.jpg