Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    With Barbara Broccoli independently and with EON looking to make smaller, less commercial films between Bonds, I wonder if we will see a film adaptation of the play A Steady Rain which starred Craig and Hugh Jackman.

That would be fantastic to see. Would hope the two would be happy to come back to their roles for a film.

It would be an opportunity for Barbara to continue to work with her friend Daniel Craig post-Bond. The play itself was very well received with Craig's performance praised by critics.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    To bring some dates to the idea of EON's two films, Nancy and Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, being the reason why Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson are not making Bond25 announcements right now:

This month, Nancy was only at the Sundance film festival, screened on 20 January, and I can't find other release dates, so that film would not seem to be an obstacle as it will be out of the way now and only likely to be released much later this year IMHO.

FSDDIL, according to IMDB's release dates data, has already been released in a wide variety of markets, while its remaining release dates extend out to almost May. FSDDIL will be at a Dutch film festival on 30 January, but its release date in that country is 8 March.

During February FSDDIL is released in Greece, Portugal, and Croatia - Dubrovnik anyone? In March, along with the Netherlands, it opens in Spain and the Czech Republic. Then, finally, Germany and Sweden get it in April.

If FSDDIL had got any Oscar noms, that award event is on 4 March. For anyone who thinks Nolan might be the Bond25 director, then maybe, whether he wins for Dunkirk or not, early March is possible for a Bond25 announcement.

Personally, I think Sam Mendes is back, as Asp9mm suggested, and as everyone will know Bond25 is a Spectre sequel if he is announced, they don't mind delaying it.

As for 'late' director announcements, for Quantum, Marc Forster was not officially announced as the director until June 2007. Please note the officially announced reference, I don't mean wild speculation by the media or rumour. I mean an actual EON announcement.

So, for all of the above, don't hold your breath for any announcement anytime soon, despite Barbara herself saying 'early next year,' whatever early means.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    there's a review of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool in todays Globe and Mail, mostly focussing on Annette Bening's performance
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/review-hollywood-should-pay-attention-to-annette-bening-in-film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool/article37729935/
    if I was Broccoli, I wouldn't start talking about the next Bond film while promoting this. It seems like a serious, probably quite personal project that she would want appreciated on its own merits. The minute somebody asks about her better known mainstream action franchise, that's all anybody will talk about, and the serious new art-film will get brushed aside.

Broccoli sounded frustrated by the delay in the announcement, as if it wasn't her choice.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    there's a review of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool in todays Globe and Mail, mostly focussing on Annette Bening's performance
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/review-hollywood-should-pay-attention-to-annette-bening-in-film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool/article37729935/
    if I was Broccoli, I wouldn't start talking about the next Bond film while promoting this. It seems like a serious, probably quite personal project that she would want appreciated on its own merits. The minute somebody asks about her better known mainstream action franchise, that's all anybody will talk about, and the serious new art-film will get brushed aside.

Broccoli sounded frustrated by the delay in the announcement, as if it wasn't her choice.

There's also the issue of a deal being done regarding who will partner with EON/MGM and handle distribution. Things have been just as quiet on that end. I get the feeling that there will be a continued news blackout until:

- Barbara/EON are finished promoting both their newest films

- Both a director and distributor are on board (if Nolan is involved, this could be more complicated as it could bring into play both
    Nolan's own production company, Syncopy, and Warner Brothers, whom Nolan has a long relationship with.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    With a release date set I'm pretty sure that a lot more is nailed down than us Muggles know. It's all about news management I suspect. Bond is a huge business and a cultural icon. It's just frustrating for us.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Nolan is doing it. I feel it in my waters :))
    Revolver66 wrote:

I really hope that your waters speak truth although it might be best if he had a clean slate. I'd still happily take it though.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:

That would be spectacular.
    1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I feel like the EON and co. are waiting for the new Mission Impossible trailer to drop so they know how high they're going to have to up the ante on Bond 25 :)). I haven't seen the previous MI film yet but i know Cruise's daredevil stunt work continually makes most other film's action scenes look pretty weak in comparison.
    edited February 2018
    I feel like the EON and co. are waiting for the new Mission Impossible trailer to drop so they know how high they're going to have to up the ante on Bond 25 :)). I haven't seen the previous MI film yet but i know Cruise's daredevil stunt work continually makes most other film's action scenes look pretty weak in comparison.

I hope not. I would like to think that they are aiming a bit higher than just stunts. A compelling story/script would be nice.
    Some of the stunts are great in the MI films. I enjoy the MI films, but more than not it seems that those films (except the first) are pretty much built around someone getting an idea for a great stunt sequence and then trying to put together some sort of story around it. Bond films that follow that pattern tend not to be very good. Also, comparing the character of James Bond with the bland, uninteresting character Cruise portrays (which is basically an American one dimensional take-off on Bond), well there is no comparison. But it's all up to EON. They got their Bond back, now they need to finish up his tenure with something worthy.

Now this is probably just the great cynic in me, not taking anything away from Cruise who really does seem to put it on the line for these films, but sometimes I wonder how much Cruise's doing his own stunts, especially the crazy dangerous looking stuff, is a bit overhyped to sell the films. I know Craig tries to do what he can stunt wise (and he has paid the price many times) but the reality is, films are insured and some of the crazier stuff is just not allowed. Sometimes it just makes me go "hmm" when I hear of some of the stuff that Cruise is reported to have done.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Now this is probably just the great cynic in me, not taking anything away from Cruise who really does seem to put it on the line for these films, but sometimes I wonder how much Cruise's doing his own stunts, especially the crazy dangerous looking stuff, is a bit overhyped to sell the films. I know Craig tries to do what he can stunt wise (and he has paid the price many times) but the reality is, films are insured and some of the crazier stuff is just not allowed. Sometimes it just makes me go "hmm" when I hear of some of the stuff that Cruise is reported to have done.

I know a few people that work on Cruise's films. If anything, he does the dangerous stunt work so well and effortlessly, that it takes away how actually amazing the feat is. The free diving stuff in the latest one didn't really show that he learned and could hold his breath for 6 minutes plus when performing. That's just nuts.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Well the hanging out of the plane was him, also climbing in Dubai.

He was on Norton the other week where they had his stunt cam footage showing him do that MI6 jump, breaking his foot which was a bit wincing
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I've been told the big stunt in MI:6 is mind blowing and he's been training for three years to do it. And even then they don't know if it's possible to do :s
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Interesting, now really looking forward to it. -{ The climbing sequence in MI5 was stunning, I actually jumped at one point
    When Tom lost his grip and fell .......
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Interesting, now really looking forward to it. -{ The climbing sequence in MI5 was stunning, I actually jumped at one point
    When Tom lost his grip and fell .......

You mean MI4? That scene was absolutely exhilarating watching it on a big screen, there were definitely a few jumps from me as well! MI5's "one upping" their previous movie with the hanging on the outside of the plane opener then the underwater stuff later on were also pretty incredible.

I definitely think the Bond producers could learn a lot from the latest entries of the MI series. One big thing I've been particularly impressed at is the subtle use of CGI in the few occasions when it is used. The last couple of Bond movies have far too many moments of obvious CGI use that's really taken me out of the film.
    :)) Yes MI4, I think it also shows how involved an audience can get, when instead of CGI there's an actual Human, in
    Danger on screen. Whether that's an actor or stunt person.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I actually think it sells the M:I films quite short to say that they’re just a canvass for great stunt work. While I agree that Ethan Hunt is incredibly bland, the films themselves tend to be very entertaining, complete with exciting plot twists and nefarious villains. If you substitute Bond for Hunt in the last two M:I films, we’re all raving about how they are classics!

Craig looked worn out in Spectre, and I don’t see how four more years of age are going to improve that situation. Cruise, on the other hand, shows no signs of slowing down. It’s more of a credit to him than a knock on Craig, but it’s a fact.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I actually think it sells the M:I films quite short to say that they’re just a canvass for great stunt work. While I agree that Ethan Hunt is incredibly bland, the films themselves tend to be very entertaining, complete with exciting plot twists and nefarious villains. If you substitute Bond for Hunt in the last two M:I films, we’re all raving about how they are classics!

Craig looked worn out in Spectre, and I don’t see how four more years of age are going to improve that situation. Cruise, on the other hand, shows no signs of slowing down. It’s more of a credit to him than a knock on Craig, but it’s a fact.
    I Just watched Rogue Nation for the first time (what an opening scene!) and I agree that Bond could really use some of the kinetic energy and vigor that's been in the recent MI films.
    I saw Rogue Nation in IMAX and the big stunt scenes were certainly breathtaking.
    That being said, if a Bond film has a really good script, outlandish stunts can't hurt, but they are not a make or break for me.
    I'm good with a great classic hand to hand fight or a well staged shootout in a Bond film providing they are done in a manner that puts you on the edge of your seat with suspense. Even though it's shown in flashback, Bond's "first kill" in the PTS of CR is a great example of a suspenseful, thrilling action sequence that didn't need jets, trains, skyscrapers, explosions. etc... just a bloody bathroom. There are much smaller, non-Bond films that are able to accomplish this. Director Yann Damange was able to accomplish this in '71 as was director Sean Ellis in Anthropoid which is why I think either of them would be good choices for Bond. Denis Villeneuve also did a masterful job of creating a blend of suspense and action in Sicario but unfortunately it looks like he's not available for Bond 26.

I'm hoping that an aging Craig will force a shift towards compelling narrative and suspense rather than overblown Helicopter sequences and expensive explosions that looked like shoddy CGI despite being for real. I'd be happy to leave all that to the immitators. Bond will need action,and it must be done well. Agree that the bathroom scene in CR is the standard.
    Although the big 'spectaculars' are great to watch and go well with the MI films, I like the smaller well set and choreographed things like the stairwell fight in CR and the train fight in FRWL and SP. I think the action should be close and personal around Bond with an edge of real danger. It takes you away from the personal danger element when it's a big spectacular.

As for Cruise aging well, he is aging better than DC, but while DC looks more and more like Sid James, so Cruise is looking more and more like Sandy Toksvig.

2698332.main_image.jpg?strip=all
    :)) :)) :))
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    You've just ruined Sandy Toksvig for me.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I agree that the smaller, more personal action scenes in Bond films are superior. And if they just stuck to those, I think it would be great. The problem is that they insist on also “going big,” and they simply don’t do it as well as others. As mentioned, an aging Craig should force a shift, which would be most welcome.

But in addition, I just hope DC is able to summon some of the energy that made CR and QoS so exciting. That’s the difference between the way he and Cruise have aged. Time has taken its toll on the appearance of both men. But looks don’t matter as much as presence on screen. I thought DC was utterly captivating in his first two, but has lost some of that since then. Cruise, on the other hand, has been consistent in this regard.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    She's just a Randi Scandi to me :D

BTW: Why haven't Randi been used as a Bond girl name yet?
    I agree that the smaller, more personal action scenes in Bond films are superior. And if they just stuck to those, I think it would be great. The problem is that they insist on also “going big,” and they simply don’t do it as well as others. As mentioned, an aging Craig should force a shift, which would be most welcome.

But in addition, I just hope DC is able to summon some of the energy that made CR and QoS so exciting. That’s the difference between the way he and Cruise have aged. Time has taken its toll on the appearance of both men. But looks don’t matter as much as presence on screen. I thought DC was utterly captivating in his first two, but has lost some of that since then. Cruise, on the other hand, has been consistent in this regard.
    Great points that I 100% agree with.
    No question that Cruise is much more "youthful" looking than Craig. That's just luck of the draw genetics of course. Even as a young
    actor, Craig had a weathered, craggy look which IMO actually worked well for Bond. The baby faced and now eternally youthful looking Cruise IMO looks more convincing as Ethan Hunt now with a bit of maturity than he did in the first two MI's. In the first MI Cruise in the "Bondish" scenes, especially in a tux at the Chateau, he looked like he could have been my daughter's high school prom date :)) .
    I think for Bond 25, they need to get back to "Craig's Bond". No forced whimsy or awkwardly placed attempts at "Classic Bond". All the action should serve the story and much of that action should be harsh, suspenseful and memorable.
    What we need is the Bond of CR, albeit slowed down a bit by age and wear but with the cunning and intelligence that comes with age and experience. Bond in his twilight but now the thinking man's blunt instrument who is free of the doubt and angst of the middle films. We need (and Daniel Craig) need the Bond who M handed the dossier for his next mission at the end of Skyfall and responded "With pleasure". -{ {[]
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Thank you for making me laugh out loud. You are so right about Cruise in that scene in Mission Impossible.

I think people here are selling the train fight in "Spectre" short. It's not as brutal and thrilling as the fight in "From Russia With Love" but it's pretty badass. The movie could have just used more of that.
    HowardB wrote:
    I think for Bond 25, they need to get back to "Craig's Bond". No forced whimsy or awkwardly placed attempts at "Classic Bond". All the action should serve the story and much of that action should be harsh, suspenseful and memorable.
    What we need is the Bond of CR, albeit slowed down a bit by age and wear but with the cunning and intelligence that comes with age and experience. Bond in his twilight but now the thinking man's blunt instrument who is free of the doubt and angst of the middle films. We need (and Daniel Craig) need the Bond who M handed the dossier for his next mission at the end of Skyfall and responded "With pleasure". -{

Quite.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb49-oV0F78

I am very very keen for MI: Fallout :o Locations and action scenes/stunts look incredible and the story doesn't look too bad either. Its even got a pretty brutal looking bathroom fight scene with Cruise, Cavil and a random!

Watched the trailer a few more times and wow, it's going to be an awesome couple of hours. Also got some quite heavy SP "searching Mr White's house" feels from a shot at the start of the trailer (0:08-10) and a couple shots a little bit in (0:24-29).
    Trailer looks good. So many nods to Bond, as mentioned the bathroom fisticuffs (Cavill looked surprisingly capable) but particularly the SP overtones, I almost expected " I am the architect of all your pain) The MI franchise don't shy away from 'borrowing' a bit of Bourne here, a pinch of Bond there... they even have in Cavill the nearly Bond. Looks like a fun night out and I'll certainly see it, but until Ethan acquires a personality I won't get too involved. The challenge for Eon is to give Bond a purpose that tests his character but avoids yet more back story or personal ****.