Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I’ll be shocked if Bond doesn’t die in this movie.

I guess this begs the question, why do you believe that Bond will die in 25?
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I’ll be shocked if Bond doesn’t die in this movie.

I guess this begs the question, why do you believe that Bond will die in 25?

Well for one, the recent Bond films have been somewhat derivative of comic book movies (CR and Batman Begins, Skyfall and The Dark Knight, Spectre’s retconned attempt at universe building and the MCU), so it wouldn’t be a stretch for them to draw inspiration from Logan.

Second, I could see Daniel Craig and the producers wanting a definitive end to his tenure, whiCH would support a cleaner reboot, or maybe even a sale of the IP.

Third, it’s never been done before so they might think it would be an exciting “new take.”

I hope I’m wrong because killing Bond would be dreadfully stupid, but I do feel like it might happen.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Craig's Bond has always been the "suffering Bond" and I've pointed out on this site several times before, going back years, that his death is the natural culmination of this character arc. I have no problem with him dying so long as it's done well
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I have really big problems with Bond dying and it must be done very well for me to accept it.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Yes, from time to time the Bonds do take from other series (Live and Let Die=blaxploitation; TMWTGG=chop-sockey films; Moonraker=Star Wars). . .but the producers were always using those things as ELEMENTS against which they played the Bond formula--in the end, Bond still emerges triumphant. Why would they pick up on something that's not really a trend (and which was already spoofed in Deadpool 2) that would leave them with a dead Bond? Just makes no sense. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I can't make myself believe "the big hook" is Bond getting killed. But what could it be? It's not just "Bond sleeps with 2-3 women and then blows up the villan's lair", because that's not new.
    Could it be Bond figures out how to destroy SPECTRE?
    The amnesia story from LALD?
    Bond working close with one or more 00-agents?
    All (or most) other 00-agents get killed?

Any other ideas?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    “Bond sleeps with 2-3 woman?”

Dont think that has happened in the DC era :))

Just saying!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Yes, Craig's Bond has suffered much :))
    This time around the script was written by Hodge based upon an idea/concept of Danny Boyle's so it's hard to get a handle on what they might have in mind. Plus, if what we have been led to believe is true, that Boyle approached EON with his idea rather than EON approaching Boyle with their own (ie P&W) script things get even a bit more murky. Also, take into consideration that Barbara and Michael learned at the knee of Cubby and one thing that was learned with OHMSS is that audiences generally dislike unhappy endings to Bond films.... Also, this concept of the "big hook" could be overstated. Maybe what Boyle and Hodge have come up with is a bit different or maybe it's just really well crafted, has a more original plotline, better developed characters, clever/intelligent dialogue, dark humor (Hodge/Boyle are known for that) some real suspense, cool action....and well....maybe it's simply just a really good script with a nice Fleming feel to it? {[]
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    please!!! Craig and Boyle and Broccolis:
    before the cameras start to roll, understand that Bond dies is almost as stupid and unwanted a plot-twist as Blofeld is secretly Bond's brother.
    And cmon, we already had Vesper dies, and two films later M dies, why should 3 out of 5 CraigBond films end with one of the good guys dying?
    you know what would be a new twist: CraigBond ends up in a liferaft with a ladyfriend. At least 1 in 5 movies should end like that.

But this rumour only makes me worry about Bond26, and I shouldn't have to be worrying about that one when Bond25 hasn't even started filming.
    How will they introduce the next Bond if Bond's dead?
    does he get better, or will it be another origin story?
    or do they just start telling a story with the next fellow with no explanation? I know a few of the comic book film reboots have opted not to retell the well-known origin stories even though it's an all-new cast and slightly reimagined concepts. But comics have long incorporated the concept of parallel timelines directly into the stories. We can assume there's three different Spider-Men on three different Earths, and all their adventures are true. Maybe Q will have to explain alternate dimensions in Bond26?

Either way, what happens to Bond's all-new supporting cast they just got round to introducing two films ago? Will they take another three films to give origin stories to yet another M, Q and Moneypenny? so even once CraigBond is dead there will still be no room for proper plots in the next fellow's films because they're still doing unwanted origin stories?

grrr, whoever started this rumour, please unstart it before reality starts to resemble it.
    I don't think the Bond dies stuff is a rumor, just something that was put out by a couple of posters here trying to guess what the "big hook" in Bond 25 might be.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I don't think the Bond dies stuff is a rumor, just something that was put out by a couple of posters here trying to guess what the "big hook" in Bond 25 might be.

It is most definitely a rumour. Google it
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    I’d say there’s absolutely no chance they’ll kill Bond, even if it’s Craig’s last. Logan worked because Jackman was ready to “hang up the claws” and the studio was ready for character to go out on a high and then be put on ice for a while - I doubt we’ll see a Wolverine in another movie with a different actor playing him for at least 8-10 years.

Bond on the the other hand is pretty much guaranteed to have another film (B26) coming out around 2023 and I doubt the studio would be keen to try and plan another reboot seeing as in the grand scheme of things, CR wasn’t that long ago. As bad as it might be, I would think that the closest we’d see to a “Bond death” would be Bond getting shot, stabbed, blown up, swept away in a rapid etc and assumed dead then in the final scene the Bond girl/Q/Moneypenny finds a memento from Bond left on their desk or something as a sign he’s still alive. Outright killing him – there just wouldn’t be anywhere to go after that unless they do a bit of time jumping and set the new film before he dies or *shudder*, try the ridiculous code name theory (impossible after SF) and recruit the “new James Bond”.

Sorry caractacus, just realised you’ve already brought up similar points.
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Just took a look. Just some nonsense from the tabs. Not even the kind of rumor based on something from an anonymous source, just the author of the article's theory and not really based upon anything except his or her opinion. Typical clickbait.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    If the film is called James, that could be a hint that he dies. Or it could just be following the trend for naming a film after the main character.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    alright, they can have my permission, if! they do it like this:

the other rumour is a female villain. Lets say its Helena Bonham-Carter (I like her).
    So CraigBond and Bonham-Carter are scrapping. She clicks her heels, she has the toe spike. CraigBond dances around trying to dodge her kicks, then gets hit once.
    He looks down, trousers torn, shin bleeding.
    He does his sarcastic "ouch" (reprising a line from his first movie). Then he starts to aim his gun.
    Gungrip falters, camera angle tilts. Craig leans towards camera, does cross-eyes, spins and collapses.
    Film fades to black as we listen to Bonham-Carter's crazed cackle.
    Credits roll.

See? Ambiguous open ended ending, and true to Fleming. just like Craig started, he goes out with a Fleming scene.
    then once they have their new actor cast, Bond26 can begin like this:

gunbarrel as usual.

Film begins with a full minute of darkness, accompanied by rising sound collage.
    Sounds of chaos slowly resolve into dialog etc from the last scene of Bond25.
    Screen slowly shifts from black to deep crimson, with spots dancing round.
    A horizontal white line appears midscreen. The voices change. They are familiar, but words are unclear.
    White line expands to fill screen, there are people there but out of focus. It is a hospital room?

"Look, he's coming round"
    "James! take it easy, don't try to move"
    figures come into focus: they are M, Q, and Moneypenny, and a new character, Dr Molony.
    "James, just relax. You've been through a lot of trauma."
    "No nothing's broken. Yes you still have all four of your limbs. But...
    ...well, Dr Molony had to do a tiny bit of plastic surgery. You should probably take it slow"
    "look out, he's grabbed the mirror"
    "now just relax, James, Dr Molony did the best he could..."

in the mirror is the face of Austin Powers!!!
    Mike Meyers is the new James Bond!!!

"noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

main titles begin, Song by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach:
    "Bond, Twenty-Six!!
    They broke something, they never needed to fix!
    Now theyre stuck looking like this!
    Yes, they're stuck looking like this!!
    Stuck!!... Like!!... Thisss!!!!!"
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    If the film is called James, that could be a hint that he dies. Or it could just be following the trend for naming a film after the main character.

Is this a rumour, that the film will be called James?

I seriously hope not. I don't care if it's a trend. It's the worst trend ever.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I was just making a joke, since this is what many long-running series have been doing. I should have noted it was just a sarcastic comment, but perhaps a tabloid will pick it up now. :p
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I was just making a joke, since this is what many long-running series have been doing. I should have noted it was just a sarcastic comment, but perhaps a tabloid will pick it up now. :p

Ahh, you had me worried there :p

Still, I really hope something similar doesn't happen to Bond. One thing I love about the bond series is that they all have their own titles. For instance, it's not "James Bond - Live And Let Die", it's just "Live And Let Die". I don't recall any other long running film series that do this.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Just took a look. Just some nonsense from the tabs. Not even the kind of rumor based on something from an anonymous source, just the author of the article's theory and not really based upon anything except his or her opinion. Typical clickbait.

Yes I agree. But it's out there circulating. It may be complete rubbish. But it's still a rumour and a possibility at this point
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Ahh, you had me worried there :p

Still, I really hope something similar doesn't happen to Bond. One thing I love about the bond series is that they all have their own titles. For instance, it's not "James Bond - Live And Let Die", it's just "Live And Let Die". I don't recall any other long running film series that do this.

I appreciate that too. Good things the Bond series never became known as the "Dr. No" series! I think that having a specific title for each Bond films helps give each film a stronger identity. It can be difficult to remember which Death Wish film is which since they don't have memorable titles.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    This time around the script was written by Hodge based upon an idea/concept of Danny Boyle's so it's hard to get a handle on what they might have in mind. Plus, if what we have been led to believe is true, that Boyle approached EON with his idea rather than EON approaching Boyle with their own (ie P&W) script things get even a bit more murky. Also, take into consideration that Barbara and Michael learned at the knee of Cubby and one thing that was learned with OHMSS is that audiences generally dislike unhappy endings to Bond films.... Also, this concept of the "big hook" could be overstated. Maybe what Boyle and Hodge have come up with is a bit different or maybe it's just really well crafted, has a more original plotline, better developed characters, clever/intelligent dialogue, dark humor (Hodge/Boyle are known for that) some real suspense, cool action....and well....maybe it's simply just a really good script with a nice Fleming feel to it? {[]

Would love it if you are right, but suspect that the 'idea' must have been pretty radical to get EON to switch Horses this late in the day. I don't mind if he dies, death is no barrier in current movie world. Just really hope he gets a good send off. If it coincides with a change of ownership and IP sale it could make sense, particularly if EON feel that they to are coming to the end of their Bond road. The Babs -Danny love in may mean that Babs is not ready to love again with a new Bond. Who knows. Personally wouldnt lose much sleep if EON passed the baton. Exciting isn't it.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Peter Morgan claimed to have written a "big hook" for Skyfall, which he says was retained. For the life of me, I don't know what it was. The death of M?
    I think I read somewhere it was the death of M.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Would love it if you are right, but suspect that the 'idea' must have been pretty radical to get EON to switch Horses this late in the day. I don't mind if he dies, death is no barrier in current movie world. Just really hope he gets a good send off. If it coincides with a change of ownership and IP sale it could make sense, particularly  if EON feel that they to are coming to the end of their Bond road. The Babs -Danny love in may mean that Babs is not ready to love again with a new Bond. Who knows. Personally wouldnt lose much sleep if EON passed the baton. Exciting isn't it.

We may be overthinking this. Now that we have some actual official basic information and the fears of some regarding being able to make the planned release date have been quelled we are on to new set of fears, possibilities, theories, etc. As I have said, the Boyle/Hodge script may not be anything completely off the wall or radical....it just may be far superior to what P&W came up with and not derivative of other films. I also do not see anything about the new distributorship deals that would send up smoke signals that EON is ready to sell their Bond rights. The only thing, IMO that looms is the film rights expiring in 2035. If it is just a matter of money, EON would have to weigh how much they would potentially make on the Bond films they could produce between the release of Bond 26 and 2035 vs how much they would get for their half of Bond if they sold out. Plus we don't know the particulars of what EON would still hold the rights to concerning Bond beyond 2035 (logos, the Bond theme, etc). Personally, I have no idea if there is anything that EON could do to extend the rights with the Fleming Estate. As we know from the past, this stuff can get pretty complicated.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    HowardB wrote:

The death of Bond is something DC has wanted to do...is giving him that the reason he came back for another...?
    How long are Eon going to keep hold of the rights...?
    YNWA 97
    I'm very curious as to what they're gonna do with Blofeld. I know some people want a Blofeld-free movie. Not me though, because ending the DC era with no Blofeld (after being kept alive and imprisoned) would seem very odd to me.

However, if B26, 27, and 28 were Nolan directing the Blofeld trilogy, then that would be very nice too.

HowardB wrote:

I think Bond actually died in Spectre when Blofeld was torturing him and the last part of the film is the deams if a dying man. It's the only way to explain the wildly implausible last 45 minutes of the film. From the business with the watch, to Bond suddenly being able to jump out of the chair, to Bond shooting bad guys at fifty yards without aiming, to the improbable helicopter that's just sitting there so they can make their escape, to the world's biggest explosion, to Bond shooting down a helicopter from four hundred yards with a shot from a Walther PPK to Bond driving off in a perfectly restored DB5 which had been junk just a week or two before.

So, we've already had one cinematic death of Bond.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I think Bond actually died in Spectre when Blofeld was torturing him and the last part of the film is the deams if a dying man. It's the only way to explain the wildly implausible last 45 minutes of the film. From the business with the watch, to Bond suddenly being able to jump out of the chair, to Bond shooting bad guys at fifty yards without aiming, to the improbable helicopter that's just sitting there so they can make their escape, to the world's biggest explosion, to Bond shooting down a helicopter from four hundred yards with a shot from a Walther PPK to Bond driving off in a perfectly restored DB5 which had been junk just a week or two before.

So, we've already had one cinematic death of Bond.

Very funny, made me laugh. Spectre really was a bag of Spanners.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.