Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    edited September 2018
    The Americanization argument is a silly one. The western is a uniquely American genre of film and a lot of the best ones were directed by Italians who filmed them in Spain.

Agreed - look at Road To Perdition. Directed by a Brit, Mendes, and starred a couple of Brits (one of which we might be familiar with) but I don't recall the film feeling remotely British.
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    Bond 25 is scheduled to release 51 months after Spectre.

I'm sure it's just the nature of the business, but I'm pretty sure the breaks for the DC movies are the longest in franchise history. Outside the transition from Dalton to Brosnan.

QOS-SF 4 Years

SF-SP 3 years

SP-25 4+ Years

Truly amazing considering these long hiatus between films are all without a change of actor playing Bond.

I've enjoyed DC as Bond but I felt one more was stretching it - given the time gap now I'd like to see a new actor in the role. Although given the $$$ involved I don't imagine DC will see it that way.......
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Anyone else thinking that DC will do a 6th bond film in 2022 for the 60th anniversary?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I don't see why the issue of the time lapse between films would have any impact on Craig returning unless he (Craig) appeared too old or not up to the physical demands of the role. If one does not care for Craig in the role that's a different story; I would understand wanting him replaced. It is unfortunate that various circumstances (many of which EON had no control over) have created these gaps.
    Personally, I am glad he's back for one more crack. IMO, SPECTRE wasn't so much a disaster but I missed opportunity that ended up a mediocrity. Hopefully Bond 25 will rise above its troubled gestation and hit the ground running once the cameras roll in March and bring us a worthy farewell for Craig. Then bring on the search for the next Bond. -{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I can't be absolutely sure, but I don't think so.

It's interesting that Henry Cavill has resigned as Superman. I think the smart thing now will be to do a comedy and a drama to show range. It would be good for his chanses to be Bond, but also for his career in general.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Anyone else thinking that DC will do a 6th bond film in 2022 for the 60th anniversary?

It wouldn’t surprise me.
    Jarvio wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me.

Hmm....that would mean only a two year gap between Bond 25 and 26. More than Craig holding up physically or in the looks department, getting another Bond film out just two years after the previous one seems to be the biggest challenge these days.
    I get the feeling the only way it would be possible is that Bond 25 is a return to form critically along with being a box office monster, Craig commits to return right away along with other concrete production plans like an early commitment from a director and a script being commissioned. I have serious doubts and even more serious doubts if a new Bond actor must be found unless they literally have someone waiting in the wings (Henry Cavell???) to take over. I have my doubts about Cavell since any actors who appear to openly campaign for the role never seem to get it. That being said, Cavell came within a whisper of being Bond in CR.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
    Yep, the Official james bond facebook page gave the official nod. Cary Joji Fukunaga is the director with a Feb 14th, 2020 release date
    It’s going to be cold along the red carpet on February 14th...
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I can't be absolutely sure, but I don't think so.

It's interesting that Henry Cavill has resigned as Superman. I think the smart thing now will be to do a comedy and a drama to show range. It would be good for his chanses to be Bond, but also for his career in general.
    Cavill is going to be in Netflix adaption of The Witcher, it's fantasy again but more in the GOT type way. Be interesting to see how he does. So far Ive not seen quite the right thing from him to make a great Bond but that's only my opinion of course.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Cavill is going to be in Netflix adaption of The Witcher, it's fantasy again but more in the GOT type way. Be interesting to see how he does. So far Ive not seen quite the right thing from him to make a great Bond but that's only my opinion of course.

Same here...I haven’t seen anything from Cavill that makes me think ‘potential Bond’...quite the opposite in fact.
    YNWA 97
    Cavill, like a lot of tall handsome actors and models look like Bond material in still photos. Just around or before the time of CR there was an advert with a very young Cavill in a tux and he looked perfect for a young Bond. Who knows, maybe given the opportunity a very motivated and hungry Cavill could seize the opportunity and really find his calling as a screen actor as Bond. I wouldn't be upset if he was selected to follow Craig, but I would be in "show me" mode as I was with Craig.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    None of the actors cited as the next Bond will be the next Bond. The history of who EON selects shows that they are too old, too famous or too short.

I think Bond25 is, as Mark O'Connell tweeted, DC's 'first last' Bond film, just as YOLT was Connery's and Octopussy was Roger's.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I don't think DC will be back after Bond 25. I think this will be it, a new actor and hopefully a new reinvigorated eon will go on from here. Saying that though just maybe if this next film is a critical and box office success and if the stories are good enough who knows what will happen?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Let's face it: the Bond films from the start have been international films--the home production company, EON, is based in the UK; but they've always boasted international casts, locations, screenwriters, and, as observed, producers. Further, they've always depended on international box-office receipts--especially in the US--for their success. In a lot of ways, the Bonds predicted current trends: how many "Hollywood" movies today have non-American directors, mostly British and Australian cast members, and are shot outside the US? I'm no longer sure what constitutes an American or British film. . .

Movie Bond was the first globalized entertainment franchise.

Thus, the British identity was toned down to assure maximum box office appeal.

But, the movie Bond character, from the start embodied a fantasy of post-WW2 Britishness. For proof, look at the way it was parodied in the 60s,and the various spinoffs. Italian Eurospy movies of the 60's distilled the essence, as it was perceived at the time.

It has evolved over time.

Nevertheless, it will always be the case that the first movie Bond with global appeal was a Scotsman playing at being an Englishman. :)
    The Bond Movies aren't typically British, no. In many ways they are American. I suppose the way the could become too American is by letting Bond speak with an American accent or use too many American words and Expressions.
    Number24 wrote:
    The Bond Movies aren't typically British, no. In many ways they are American. I suppose the way the could become too American is by letting Bond speak with an American accent or use too many American words and Expressions.

Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman were both American but also Anglophiles who were committed to keeping Bond British. That being said, what Harry and Cubby did in creating the cinematic version of Bond, casting tough guy Connery and carrying over into the films a good dose of the sex and cold blooded violence of the novels was create a new type of cinematic British hero that was a bit more Mike Hammer than Scarlet Pimpernel but still very uniquely British. Obviously it was a formula that worked. A lot of folks these days do not understand that back in 1962, until Connery/Bond cold bloodily executed Prof Dent (with two shots in the back no less) movie heroes didn't do that sort of thing, especially English Gentleman. It was pretty shocking for the time and changed how violence could be portrayed in mainstream films.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    It’s interesting to get a sense for the Craig-Bond fatigue here on AJB. I wonder how that will translate to general audiences?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    HowardB wrote:
    Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman were both American but also Anglophiles who were committed to keeping Bond British. That being said, what Harry and Cubby did in creating the cinematic version of Bond, casting tough guy Connery and carrying over into the films a good dose of the sex and cold blooded violence of the novels was create a new type of cinematic British hero that was a bit more Mike Hammer than Scarlet Pimpernel but still very uniquely British. Obviously it was a formula that worked. A lot of folks these days do not understand that back in 1962, until Connery/Bond cold bloodily executed Prof Dent (with two shots in the back no less) movie heroes didn't do that sort of thing, especially English Gentleman. It was pretty shocking for the time and changed how violence could be portrayed in mainstream films.

To use Fleming's phrase, if I can correct you without weakening your case: Harry Saltzman was Canadian, and neither Connery nor Bond are English.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    movie heroes didn't do that sort of thing, especially English Gentleman

This always drives me nuts... you know that England and Scotland are 2 different countries, right? Technically Bond is more Swiss than he is English...
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Some Americanisms that come to mind being the spelling of 'AuthoriZed' seen throughout the films, and (one that always grinds my gears when people use it) M's "I could give a $#!+ about the CIA or their trumped-up evidence." That last one makes me wild. :))
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    MrGore wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Let's face it: the Bond films from the start have been international films--the home production company, EON, is based in the UK; but they've always boasted international casts, locations, screenwriters, and, as observed, producers. Further, they've always depended on international box-office receipts--especially in the US--for their success. In a lot of ways, the Bonds predicted current trends: how many "Hollywood" movies today have non-American directors, mostly British and Australian cast members, and are shot outside the US? I'm no longer sure what constitutes an American or British film. . .

Movie Bond was the first globalized entertainment franchise.

Thus, the British identity was toned down to assure maximum box office appeal.

But, the movie Bond character, from the start embodied a fantasy of post-WW2 Britishness. For proof, look at the way it was parodied in the 60s,and the various spinoffs. Italian Eurospy movies of the 60's distilled the essence, as it was perceived at the time.

It has evolved over time.

Nevertheless, it will always be the case that the first movie Bond with global appeal was a Scotsman playing at being an Englishman. :)

Not sure that Connery played him as an Englishman, British certainly :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    It’s interesting to get a sense for the Craig-Bond fatigue here on AJB. I wonder how that will translate to general audiences?
    I think the recent "Craig-Bond fatigue" is a combination of a few things that have been brewing since 2015. Things like how long he's had the role now, his post Spectre comments, Spectre itself, and the last few years of seemingly not much going on.
    MrGore wrote:

It never was the case, and still isn't.
    Yes, I'm sure everyone in my country backing the sixties said : "Let's go watch a Bond movie - it's about a Scotsman pretending to be English!" :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    And if dubbed, a Scotsman, playing an Englishman
    Speaking Norwegian ? :))

Connery was a Badass! In a Great movie, with a great cast. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

This always drives me nuts... you know that England and Scotland are 2 different countries, right? Technically Bond is more Swiss than he is English...

Are people accepting the non-canon claim that Bond was born in what was West Germany?

Isn't Bond, a man with Scottish ancestry, his father was a Scot, something inserted into the novels because of the choice of Connery, his mother is Swiss French, but Fleming never said where Bond was actually born.

I think Fleming wanted a character who would be able to deal with foreign countries, who felt at home while abroad, who understood the world he lived in because he knew that is what a spy with Bond's sort of job would need. Considering what is going on in the UK right now its interesting that a character seen as so British is actually, in the original books, an international man.

If they wanted to comment on Brexit in Bond25 emphasising his international heritage would be good.
    And if dubbed, a Scotsman, playing an Englishman
    Speaking Norwegian ? :))

Connery was a Badass! In a Great movie, with a great cast. -{

To be honest and serious I don't understand why adults who can read accept dubbing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Oh I love all those Terrible German accents in ze old war movies :))
    I too much prefer to hear the actual language in use.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Are people accepting the non-canon claim that Bond was born in what was West Germany?

Isn't Bond, a man with Scottish ancestry, his father was a Scot, something inserted into the novels because of the choice of Connery, his mother is Swiss French, but Fleming never said where Bond was actually born.

All I am trying to say is this:

Bond being Scottish and being described as English is incorrect.

Bond being Scottish and being described as British is correct.
    Thank you Arbogast777. I've been saying that for years here!