Bond 25 SPOILER news

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I can buy that.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I have a suspicion about what the villan's plot is, I think I even wrote a post about it years ago. It's very different from the plot of DAD. We'll wait and see.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Could this be one approach to the garden of death? Genetically engineered plant poisons?
    That's a good idea. I was thinking of DNA-engineered biological weapons targeting spesific groups of people, most likely ethnic groups or families.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_bioweapon
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Just wondering if some the plot for Bond 25 might have leftover ideas from Timothy Daltons 3rd Bond movie?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    That's a good idea. I was thinking of DNA-engineered biological weapons targeting spesific groups of people, most likely ethnic groups or families.

I think that’s a little heavy for a Bond film.
    Number24 wrote:

In MR Drax planned to kill every human on Earth using nerve gas. IN TSWLM Stromberg planned to start a nuclear war between the US and the USSR. In TND Carver tried to start a war between Britain and China, both nuclear powers. All are lighthearted, not heavy movies. Not that I expect Bond25 to be in the style of those movies, but there is a huge difference between what the villan tries to do and what ends up happening in these movies. Of course the "ethnic" part of ethnic bioweapon can be controversial and dark, but I'm sure there are ways to avoid making the plot too dark. There is also another option: using the weapon to wipe out a family or bloodline.
    A member of MI6community reminded us of waht was said in the SPECTRE meeting in ROME:

"... the latest figures show that we presently control 70% of antimalarial vaccines, 34% of HIV, and 40% of all oncological drugs across sub-Saharan Africa, but we face challenges from the WHO in their campaign against our counterfeit pharmaceuticals."

SPECTRE is clearly into pharmaceuticals, so the leap into genetics and possibly bioweapons isn't too great.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge: James Bond Is “Absolutely Relevant Now” But The Film “Has To Treat Women Properly”
    https://deadline.com/2019/05/phoebe-waller-bridge-bond-1202624860/

“There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not [the Bond franchise] is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women,” she said. “I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.”

“When I saw his Bond for the first time, there was a wryness to his performance that I really loved,” she said. “So, I was really excited about writing dialogue for him. I mean, the script was there. It’s already there. I think it’s unfair to say that I’m writing the script.”

“I just want 
to make sure that when they get those pages through, that Lashana, Léa and Ana open them and go, ‘I can’t wait to do that.’ As an actress, I very rarely had that feeling early in my career. That brings me much pleasure, knowing that I’m giving that to an actress.”
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Her line, "the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to", is the key. Moonraker did this by portraying Dr. Goodhead as a very strong and intelligent woman while making Bond a sexist a-hole who looks stupid for his comments. It didn't do it perfectly, but it was a good step forward for the Bond series. It can show the struggles that women face. Unfortunately, people may still see the film as sexist if Bond is sexist.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Good find, Red snow. I think what Phoebe Waller-Bridge says is very promising.
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    "When I saw his Bond for the first time, there was a wryness to his performance that I really loved. So, I was really excited about writing dialogue for him."

I guess the suggestions of it being disrespectful and sexist to hire PWB to only write female characters turned out to be bullocks...
    Baz also wrote that part of her job is to make the genetics plot more understandable and entertaining. Writing the female chracter better is clearly only a part of her job.
    edited May 2019
    Red_Snow wrote:
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge: James Bond Is “Absolutely Relevant Now” But The Film “Has To Treat Women Properly”
    https://deadline.com/2019/05/phoebe-waller-bridge-bond-1202624860/

“There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not [the Bond franchise] is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women,” she said. “I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.”

“When I saw his Bond for the first time, there was a wryness to his performance that I really loved,” she said. “So, I was really excited about writing dialogue for him. I mean, the script was there. It’s already there. I think it’s unfair to say that I’m writing the script.”

“I just want 
to make sure that when they get those pages through, that Lashana, Léa and Ana open them and go, ‘I can’t wait to do that.’ As an actress, I very rarely had that feeling early in my career. That brings me much pleasure, knowing that I’m giving that to an actress.”

Nice to see her use the word 'actress'. I'm a bit tired of seeing right on blokes (!) tell people they can't use that word.

(I'm not as right-wing as that makes me sound ;) )

That's a great quote by the way: all sounds good to me. Giving the characters meaty stuff to do is always a good thing, it doesn't matter which gender they are.
    Matt S wrote:
    Her line, "the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to", is the key. Moonraker did this by portraying Dr. Goodhead as a very strong and intelligent woman while making Bond a sexist a-hole who looks stupid for his comments. It didn't do it perfectly, but it was a good step forward for the Bond series. It can show the struggles that women face. Unfortunately, people may still see the film as sexist if Bond is sexist.

"A woman?" remains one of the best lines in any Bond film! It doesn't really matter if it was intentional or not : I love it!
    And I think you're quite right: Holly was supposed to be an intelligent woman- and she was stronger than Anya was in the previous film I'd say (Anya ended the film as a damsel in distress: Holly was flying a bleedin' space shuttle with Bond in the passenger seat!) Calling her 'Goodhead' was perhaps a slight step backwards; but hey: the lead actor was called 'Roger Moore'- people do actually have filthy names! :D
    Number24 wrote:
    Baz also wrote that part of her job is to make the genetics plot more understandable and entertaining. Writing the female chracter better is clearly only a part of her job.

Aah: you means she is simplifying the science stuff for the women to understand? Gotcha ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Aah: you means she is simplifying the science stuff for the women to understand? Gotcha ;)

Yes, that's precisely what I meant :))
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

"A woman?" remains one of the best lines in any Bond film! It doesn't really matter if it was intentional or not : I love it!
    And I think you're quite right: Holly was supposed to be an intelligent woman- and she was stronger than Anya was in the previous film I'd say (Anya ended the film as a damsel in distress: Holly was flying a bleedin' space shuttle with Bond in the passenger seat!) Calling her 'Goodhead' was perhaps a slight step backwards; but hey: the lead actor was called 'Roger Moore'- people do actually have filthy names! :D

"A woman?" is indeed a great line, and it's certainly intended to be both funny and sexist. How Dr. Goodhead handles his sexism by showing in very smart ways how she is better than he is does her more credit than Bond's powers of observation do him. Like Anya, Goodhead is also a damsel in distress at times, but she is allowed to save the day alongside Bond, which was a huge step up for the Bond films. Moonraker is too often blamed as a sexist Bond film because of Bond's sexist attitude, when it deserves credit for trying to be a feminist Bond film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

"A woman?" is indeed a great line, and it's certainly intended to be both funny and sexist. How Dr. Goodhead handles his sexism by showing in very smart ways how she is better than he is does more her credit than Bond's powers of observation do him. Like Anya, Goodhead is also a damsel in distress at times, but she is allowed to save the day alongside Bond, which was a huge step up for the Bond films. Moonraker is too often blamed as a sexist Bond film because of Bond's sexist attitude, when it deserves credit for trying to be a feminist Bond film.

Is she very damselly? I'm trying to think: I guess in the ambulance? But she's as helpless as Bond, and gives as good as he gives with the ripping out hair stuff once they start to fight back. Does he next see her in the exhaust chamber under the rocket? She's imprisoned by Drax but not quite tied to a chair in a bikini!
    I think she does pretty well on resisting the damsel thing generally and I think better than Anya who is basically useless come the end of the movie: Bond needs her help a lot but also helps Holly out mostly, but it's his film: she should get her own one if she wants to save the day! :D
    edited May 2019
    Regional newspaper Romsdals Budstikke says Black Widow is finished filming in Trollstigen. The ship that's used by the crew is moving north to the Atlantic Sea Road now (ASR), they claim. The good news is that they seem to believe it's Bond that's filming there. Makes sense since Truenorth are the Norwegian facilitators for both productions, so they could use the same boat. Tidens Krav, a newspaper that covers the ASR area also reports it's Bond. No surprise since the helicopter Company mentuioned Bond25 in their papers to the authorities.

[url]https://www.rbnett.no/nyheter/2019/05/31/Filmgjengen-straks-klare-for-opptak-på-Atlanterhavsvegen-19161658.ece[/url]

[url]https://www.rbnett.no/nyheter/2019/05/31/–-Håper-å-se-Aston-Martin-i-action-19161670.ece[/url]

The Black Widow production reportedly wanted cloudy and grey weather to get a moody feel to the scenes, and obviously the region delivered in spades! :#
    The forcast for the Atlantic Sea Road for the 5.-9. June is partly clouded, no rain and some sun.
    edited May 2019
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

In MR Drax planned to kill every human on Earth using nerve gas. IN TSWLM Stromberg planned to start a nuclear war between the US and the USSR. In TND Carver tried to start a war between Britain and China, both nuclear powers. All are lighthearted, not heavy movies. Not that I expect Bond25 to be in the style of those movies, but there is a huge difference between what the villan tries to do and what ends up happening in these movies. Of course the "ethnic" part of ethnic bioweapon can be controversial and dark, but I'm sure there are ways to avoid making the plot too dark. There is also another option: using the weapon to wipe out a family or bloodline.

The story talked about “genetic,” so I’m not sure how we got to “ethnic,” but in any event they’re not going to go there in a Bond film.
    Very promising remarks from Waller-Bridge. Looks to me like she gets it.
    Number24 wrote:
    Regional newspaper Romsdals Budstikke says Black Widow is finished filming in Trollstigen. The ship that's used by the crew is moving north to the Atlantic Sea Road now (ASR), they claim. The good news is that they seem to believe it's Bond that's filming there. Makes sense since Truenorth are the Norwegian facilitators for both productions, so they could use the same boat. Tidens Krav, a newspaper that covers the ASR area also reports it's Bond. No surprise since the helicopter Company mentuioned Bond25 in their papers to the authorities.

[url]https://www.rbnett.no/nyheter/2019/05/31/Filmgjengen-straks-klare-for-opptak-på-Atlanterhavsvegen-19161658.ece[/url]

[url]https://www.rbnett.no/nyheter/2019/05/31/–-Håper-å-se-Aston-Martin-i-action-19161670.ece[/url]

The Black Widow production reportedly wanted cloudy and grey weather to get a moody feel to the scenes, and obviously the region delivered in spades! :#
    The forcast for the Atlantic Sea Road for the 5.-9. June is partly clouded, no rain and some sun.

The crew are based in a ship? Wow: that's an impressive base.
    Gymkata wrote:
    Dr. Goodhead is that rarity in a Bond film: an utterly competent teammate.

True, although maybe not incredibly rare. I'd say Wai Lin is up there (she gets a bit tied up at the end but it doesn't undo everything); Christmas Jones actually isn't bad considering she's not even a trained spy; and there's a case for Pam Bouvier actually being better than Bond in Licence To Kill: she saves his life a couple of times -plus kills the main henchman- whereas he actually messes up her undercover operation by being a selfish dick! :)
    Number24 wrote:

The story talked about “genetic,” so I’m not sure how we got to “ethnic,” but in any event they’re not going to go there in a Bond film.

If one uses genetics to engineer a weapon it's easy to assume the genes are used to target a certain group, be it a family, an ethnic group or possibly humans and not animals (extreme eco-terrorism).
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Red_Snow wrote:

Number24 can report by helicopter :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I'll be diving with a duck on my head :))
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    Could this be one approach to the garden of death? Genetically engineered plant poisons?
    this was my first thought when I saw the word "genetics".
    Actually, more like a OHMSS remake, where Blofeld's plot was biological warfare targeting agriculture.
    This sort of thing would definitely be done by gene-manipulation these days, the same way that Big Agriculture creates designer crops.

Somewhere upthread I said, that in the Fleming-verse, it made perfect sense Blofeld would create that Garden of Death once he went completely insane, as he had already demonstrated an expertise in biology in the previous book. But WaltzBlofeld did not demonstrate any such expertise.
    Glad to see some careful analysis of the SPECTRE meeting dialog shows they did indeed have evil bio-genetic relevant plots already in progress.

But I think Number24 may be right. The article linked to talks about the Human Genome project, rather than genetically engineered crops.

by the way the reader comments in that news article are utterly depressing. Every single commenter hates everything.
    Here is an article from Åndalsnes Avis, the local newspaper for Rauma. It's mostly about how they hope the attention from national and international films and TV will lead to more tourists. The interestring part for us is this quote: "Next week the New James Bond movie will be shot on the Atlantic Sea Road and in Rauma."

[url]https://www.andalsnes-avis.no/meninger/Leder/2019/06/01/Filmene-kan-få-enda-flere-turister-til-å-velge-Norge-19161323.ece[/url]

I think it's interesting that no media I've found has mentioned driving scenes in Trollveggen for "Black Widow". It looks like a driving (chase?) scene on that location still hasn't been done in an international movie.