New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 577MI6 Agent

he was great in that sailing show with Gustav Graves! 😁

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,638MI6 Agent

Yes. Black Sails was a great show. Got a bit off the rails the last season but great none the less. Tom Hopper was excellent as "Billy Bones".

Don't see him as Bond though. With his imposing size and physique would make a great villain IMO.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 18,950MI6 Agent

Let's hope we know the name of the next James Bond by this time next year! 🀞

I actually think it's fairly realistic.

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 3,612MI6 Agent

BLACK SAILS is one of the great 'underrated shows' of the past decade. The first season is kinda a slog to get through but it's fantastic from S2 onwards.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,610MI6 Agent

Having finished the second season of the Witcher, it’s hard to imagine how they could do better than Cavill. Perhaps he’s too famous, too obvious, and too busy. But some things just make too much sense.

I'm watching Aidan Turner's new series "Leonardo" about the fellow from Vinchy. He plays a more insecure and sensitive character than Poldark. He also plays Leonardo as a young man, probably in his early twenties, and convincibly so. Having range is good.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 479MI6 Agent

Deffo agree about Cavill. Looks the part, can do all the action scenes with ease and seems enthusiastic about getting the gig. Can’t imagine him moaning about not enough dialogue in the films, having to do press etc etc

Yes. Considerably!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukey_sparrow/

Thinking outside the box when casting the next James Bond. 😁 (made after SF)

Who's the next James Bond? - YouTube

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,435MI6 Agent

Yes I think you're right: dialogue doesn't seem to be his thing πŸ˜‰

He’s a better actor than many people think. He’s often made the best of thin scripts in blockbusters, and his work in both seasons of the Witcher is outstanding, in addition to being physically compelling.

I dunno, I don't think he's all that great. He's obviously not bad otherwise he wouldn't be working, and if he was cast as Bond I'm sure he'd do a perfectly fine job, but personally I'm hoping for someone a bit more exciting: better than fine, ideally.

We also rarely get to see/hear Cavill speak in his natural accent.

IMO, when he speaks in an American accent (which he does flawlessly) I think his line readings can become a bit stiff (ironically, I actually think this works fine for Superman). In Enola Holmes, he plays Sherlock Holmes and with his natural accent his line delivery is much more fluid and relaxed.

I just believe that Cavill, despite his wanting to be Bond just has too much on his plate with The Witcher being a hit on Netflix and his rumored return as Superman. Plus, I wonder if EON just would not consider him now for Bond because of his identification as Superman.

EON also has a history of not liking to overpay a new Bond in their first film but may be Cavill would be an exception since they liked him so much the first time he auditioned and he has a pretty good track record in big films.

Cavill also has a reputation for being an extremely nice guy, especially on movie/tv sets. People seem to genuinely like working with him. That's not essential when casting a role as big as Bond BUT it definitely helps to know that he'd help to maintain a drama free set.

I would not underestimate what Gymkata said. EON is still run as a family business where relationships are highly valued. Considering that a Bond actor would most likely be around for multiple films over a decade and the challenges, enormity, and team work required of making a Bond film, Cavill's on set reputation would certainly be another asset.

I don’t agree, but you’ve touched on something that I think does work against Cavill, and that’s the fact that he is such a well-known commodity. The casting of Daniel Craig—a relative unknown—has given many people the sense that they want/need to be surprised again. I think Ms. Broccoli buys into this as well. And why shouldn’t she? Her selection of Craig was vindicated many times over by critics, most Bond fans, and the general public. That said, it’s high-risk, high-reward to go with an unknown rather than someone like Cavill. Casting an unknown worked with Craig and Connery, not so much with Lazenby, which is why it was avoided for so many years.

Lazenby was an unknown for sure, but really an outlier because he really wasn't an actor. Moore and Brosnan were much better known when they were cast. Dalton was much better known as a stage actor but had been in some big films but primarily in supporting roles (and like Cavill had been considered for Bond earlier but was a bit too young). Connery was raw but had done films and TV but was barely a "B" lister and barely known in the USA (an exception being Lana Turner and her mobster boyfriend that Connery whooped ass on...I wonder if that was his real Bond audition 😎?). Craig was similar to Connery but had some stage cred like Dalton. We shall see where this all goes.

Brosnan was cast via pure fan demand. Indeed, that fan demand put a cloud over Dalton's run of films simply because he wasn't Brosnan.

Considering the fan demand for both Elba and Cavill (and maybe Page): if someone else DOES get the gig, there's going to be the same kind of crap on them that Dalton received.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,104MI6 Agent

That's an excellent point. Craig didn't take the job from some "heir apparent;" the closest thing was some folks online pulling for Clive Owen. The next guy is going to have more of an uphill battle than even the Blond Bond πŸ˜‚

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 32,264Chief of Staff

Cavill is 38 ,same as Craig when he was cast, but higher profile. Eon won't let him be Superman and Bond. And as Miles Messervy says above, he's already a known commodity. I think Eon will be looking for someone a bit less known.

edited January 20

It's going to come down to charisma and screen presence along with the other Bond prerequisites. Lots of tall handsome young actors out there who spend a lot of time in the gym (and many have been brought up here) but not many who can pass muster when it comes to those special Bond qualities. And now after Craig, there is probably even an expectation that the new Bond is also a good actor, not just a guy doing a Bond impersonation. Could you imagine in these days of the internet and social media, etc how someone like Lazenby, an unknown non-actor, would be eaten alive.

Here’s one prediction: the next Bond won’t look like a body builder (this also works against Cavill). I see the trend moving away from that look, much like the 90s reaction to the steroidal heroes of the 80s. Even the recent comic book heroes are trending away from bulk. Most notably, Robert Pattinson’s upcoming take on Batman. A welcome development, in my view.

he doesn't need to be on HGH but he still needs to be in shape and look/move convincingly enough to be believable in fight scenes.. I don't think you can get away with someone like Brosnan or Moore anymore, to be honest. Nothing against the men but they were both completely unconvincing in hand to hand fight scenes.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 886MI6 Agent

One of the toughest guys ever knew in 30 years of Service in the British army looked more like Charle Hawtrey than Charles Bronson..so never bought into that got to look tough to be tough thing!…. Always thought Kiefer Sutherland played the unassuming tough guy to perfection in his portrayal of Jack Bauer…

edited January 20

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way Brosnan looked or Moore looked most of his tenure. Bond should look fit, but not like someone who spends many hours every week lifting weights. Of course I know there's a lot of difference between real life and Bond movies, but here's a photo of US Marine Raiders training hand-to-hand combat. The Raiders were among the most elite US soldiers in WWII. None of them look like bodybuilders, but all of them are very fit commandoes.

Here's a recent example. The SBS is the British Navy special forces and the modern James Bond served in the unit. This is not a bodybuilder:

I don't really see that, I think the fuss about Elba has passed and most folks realise he's not quite the right age, and I see as much indifference to Cavill as I do excitement. As Phil mentioned, it's not really that different to Clive Owen back then. A few folks got excited about him but not really enough to make a dent.

Gymkata wasn't really talking about their build though (Roger was built like Johnny Bravo: quite a bizarre-looking human in fact!); they were talking about how they moved in fight scenes. I would agree that neither were hugely convincing.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 577MI6 Agent
    edited January 20

Always interesting to think actors of the ilk of David Niven or Christopher Lee wouldn't be touched by Hollywood (generalising) today as at all believable in a role like 007...but of course, they actually proved more than up to the task in real life...

Perceptions and aesthetics for TV/Film have fundamentally shifted. Whilst I think you might get similar to the 90s fight club aesthetic pushback over 80s Conan I do think a level of muscle is fixed for the time being - Pattinson may not have been bulking in lockdown for Batman but the suit has lost none of the intimidating quasi musculature. He also seems the exception not the rule. Just look how excited everyone got over the Kumail Nanjiani transformation for Eternals, ditto Will Poulter for the upcoming GOTG3. And of course we now have instagram bursting at the seams with ex-special forces operators pushing muscle and mass - whatever the reality of those who are still in service.

Of course change has also come to the style of filming and acting...just one of the reasons Moore suffers in comparison to Connery is the abating of speeding up film to make violence seem more intense.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 886MI6 Agent

Well he did mention shape and look!

I'll absolutely agree that being 'in shape' or 'physically huge' is not necessarily an indication of a person's ability to fight. With proper training, anyone can be taught the fundamentals of fighting and be effective. It just never looked like Moore or Brosnan had that training as their fist fights were never convincing. To make up for it, Moore used humor and Brosnan used guns. That was then.

This is now. For modern day movies, there's an expectation of actual physical size that kinda needs to be there visually. I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, it's just the way it is. The action movie competition out there has raised the stakes in terms of what's expected from Bond. Whoever they cast has to look the part per modern standards AND be convincing. Craig looked and acted the part quite well and set a pretty high bar and I'm pretty sure that EON is going to cast someone going forward who can pull off everything that Craig did both in terms of acting ability and in terms of physical presence/fighting ability.