New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

He's great in it. Evil in a subtle, unexpected, charismatic way. The movie is absolutely harrowing.

It was also directed by Cary Fukunaga FWIW.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

I'm not sure I want M to be as appealing to the ladies as Bond is, somehow.

I think Elba would have made a terrific, Connery-esque Bond, but the time has passed now.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

As ever of course, every actor needs to be serviced by plot and direction. Idris was beyond dull as a villain in Hobbs and Shaw and not because he isn't a wonderful actor.

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

Don’t know if he has already been mentioned but… Sam Claflin.

Seen him recently in a couple of things and been very impressed. Also reasonably ‘unknown’. Right-ish age at 36.

Yes. Considerably.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

You can see him in all his 1965 glory in Last Night in Soho...

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

Yep, was going to mention that again. He looks superb there.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent

100%. If you see him in Peaky Blinders he is excellent and has a classic Fleming Bond look.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

One name I haven't heard in the conversation is Jacob Elordi. It would be the second Australian 007. His Hugo Boss advert is a sorta mini Bond audition. I have yet to see Euphoria - but it's the new buzzy show of 2022.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Interesting suggestion. He would be the tallest and (hopefully!) youngest Bond actor ever if cast. I know of Euphoria, a sort of Amerikan SKAM, and he would certainly be a good choice to get younger audiences interested. I'm not convinced, but I do think EON should test him.

edited February 2022

He has a Robert Pattinson/James Dean vibe. Euphoria is next on my watch list

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

It would be ironic to have an actor probably a bit too tall (at 6'5") following an actor who was considered by many as too short.

Elordi would surely appeal to a younger demographic but I have this feeling that Barbara Broccoli will still swing toward an actor in their early 30's, relatively unknown but with a bit more "gravitas" in their acting resume (indie film, stage). That's not a knock on Elordi, just my take on what EON's mindset may be.

Elordi does pass for older though...Plus, Christian Bale was 29 when he played the junior Batman in his first film. Something tells me that Eon want to do a young Bond story. That is pretty much the only untrodden ground. The closest they got was Craig in CR. In my mind, Bond was around 35 in that film. So it might be interesting to have a story where Bond is around 27 and was see him in the SAS as he gets recruited to MI6? In which case, I think Elordi works. Also someone like Harris Dickinson would be great or even the tremendously charismatic and talented Barry Keoghan. Who is cheekily campaigning for the role on Twitter. He would be a surprise choice akin to DC in 2005.

Connery was 28 when DN was released and Lazenby was 30 when OHMSS was released.

If Elordi gets cast he'll be in that age range.

I agree with HowardB that Elordi's IMDB entry probably isn't as impressive as what BB is looking for, but if Elordi is talenter enough he can stil get the part.

edited May 2022

At 6'5'' Elordi is the height of Tim Robbins, Vince Vaughn and The Rock. That's tall, but in my opinion not too tall.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I think Connery was 32 when Doctor No was released.

Yes. Considerably!

His credits are thin on the ground (he has some iffy Netflix films on his resume too). Though I hear great things about Euphoria. If anyone has seen that show, perhaps they can attest to his talent or lack thereof. What I think makes him more interesting is that the show is not a Bridgerton style series. It's a properly made HBO show with acclaimed talent and actors involved. Some of the screengrabs and clips I have seen are beautifully photographed. I think he has the exact look, fanbase and mood to be a 007 in the new mould of leading man emerging in Hollywood these days. He could be the type of name that would appease traditional fans and usher in legions of younger filmgoers.......Though he is Australian.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I don’t think The Rock is 6’ 5”

Yes. Considerably!

I think you're right. Several sources say he's 6'5'', but maybe that's a tall tale from his wrestling days?

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

Connery was 31 during the shooting of DN and 32 when the movie was released.

Furthermore, people look much younger nowadays than 50 years ago. Look at James Norton for instance. He's 35 and looks almost ten tears younger than Connery at the same age...

Jonathan Bailey, anyone?

Right age and look. Around 5'10". British.

Some might point to his sexuality, but why the hell should that matter. He's just an actor playing a role.

It all comes down to the screen test. Some actors are the perfect size, look, age, or whatever but if they don't have that special screen presence, charisma and body language and movement it doesn't matter.

Connery was about 28 when the novel of DN was released.

And Albert Finney wasn't even born when the novel Murder on the Orient Express was released.

What really matters is the age of the actor during the shooting of the movie. So what's your point ?

I was responding to the claim that Connery was 28 when Dr. No was released. You okay?

I thought your post was supposed to illustrate some point about Connery's age. I only wondered what it could be...

I'm also seeing Aaron Pierre getting booked for a number of roles. He's a young British actor who looks as though he could handle leading man status. He also has a reputation for appearing in Shakespearian theatre. He might be a bit big for the role of Bond - though you could say the same about Henry Cavill.

This is an interesting candidate. While many actors his age (Aaron Pierre is 27) behave and look almost like teenagers Pierre comes across as a man. I like that.

Aaron Pierre seems to be turning into a bit of a hot commodity these days. He's been cast in the re-boot of Blade (not as Blade) and a few other things. He looks closer to his actual age without the facial hair. What he doesn't look is soft....he looks like he could kick some butt. He looks pretty big and ripped but I am sure he could trim down. I'll have to try to catch one of his shows.

I agree Pierre looks a very interesting candidate and ticks many of the boxes. Could be an inspired choice.