New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Well at least Bond 26 won't be delayed by money issues.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Forget smartphones... does this mean Bond will be solving crimes with the help of his trusty Kindle? ;)

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

"Hello 007, we just received your new poison gas pen from Amazon".

I am guessing we will be seeing Amazon delivery trucks in Bond 26.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent

Or perhaps they're really subtle and something happens in the Amazon?

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

100% Bezos goes full Trump Home Alone 2.

• kwadwo100kwadwo100 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

I think Damson Idris would be a good actor to take on the mantle of Bond to be honest. His acting skills and versatility are very good to be honest. If anyone has seen Snowfall and other films and tv shows he has been in you might agree with me. It may also bring a different take on James Bond by introducing the first black 007 to lead the franchise.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Does anyone plan on watching Apple TV+'s new spy series, 'Slow Horses?' It has Jack Lowden in a starring role. Could he be a candidate?

I think Lowden is a candidate.

I was wondering if he was handsome enough though. I know Daniel Craig wasn't traditionally handsome - but he had a very edgy and distinct look. In many respects I think Craig looked like a model. He wasn't traditionally pretty, but your eye was drawn to him as he had something really unique about him. On the other hand, Lowden just seems sorta average looking.........Though having said that I think he had rather swishy and wonderful hair in 'Mary Queen of Scots.' He's a serious actor and cannot be discounted for this reason.

edited August 2022

I don't think Craig looks like a model at all, but he is striking. Particularely his eyes, as you mention. Lowden looks "everyman" in some photos and in other photos he looks like the love child of Sean Connery and Ewan McGregor.

I mean 'high fashion model' and not 'catalogue model' in the sense that he has a striking an distinct look. He isn't handsome or pretty - but he's attention grabbing. He has presence. A lot of models are not conventionally beautiful people, but they have interesting faces. I think Craig falls into this category.

re Lowden, great as he is, you can't have Bond and River Cartwright as the Superman and Clark Kent of espionage. He is a brilliant River.

In bittersweet news for me the desecration of the Uncharted series does have the silver lining that Spider Bond is far less likely to be seen as the safe pair of hands to bring in a new generation of fans. Even if, in fairness to him, the odds...sorry, the Wahlbergs...were stacked against young Tom.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Watched first two episodes of Slow Horses..really enjoyed it…. Love Gary Oldman… would make a great Bond villain…thought Lowden was good but not so sure about Bond now.. think I would prefer Tom Bateman…. Early days though and Lowden may make more of an impression..and Tbh would prefer Lowden over the Hardy..Idris lot!

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,146MI6 Agent

I think Daniel Craig is the least handsome of all the Bond actors but he is still handsome.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited April 2022

One Bond candidate that's been mentioned in the other place is Kingley Ben-Adir. He was born in 1986 in London by a father from Trinidad and a Brituish mother, so he's mixed race. He's done theatre work and the TV series "The OA" and "Peaky blinders" he distinguished himself in the movie "One night in Miami" playing malcolm X. Ben-Adir as been cast as Bob Marely in a movie and in a Marvel TV-series. He has been nominated to a range of awards and won some. Ben-Adir's height is claimed to be anything from 5'6'' to 6'2.5'' (😂), but the most common guess is 5'11'' (180 cm). I haven't seen him in anything, but on paper he looks like a credible candidate. Watchers of Peaky Blinders are more qualified to judge.

If he's got the height, not a bad shout. I think they'll go for somebody slightly leftfield with the acting chops, and probably mixed race. Although at 36, may be considered slightly too old by some, if you think the new film may not be out until 2025.

I think som to. That is: In my opinion the Next Bond will almost certainly be a really good actor and possibly someone of mixed race. Ben-Adir's age should ideally be lower, but he's not to old to be a realistisk candidate.

I think 25+ is too long, both for the actor and for the audience. About 15 years is more realistic. But I do hope they're looking for someone relatively young, probably in the late 20s and early 30s.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

The correct decision in my opinion would be to get someone in their mid to late 30’s and make a new movie every two years. No side projects, no spin off’s. Back to what made the franchise great in the first place.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited April 2022

I don't mind if Amazon makes a "Bond universe" if they do it in the right way. One way would be making Bond movies for the cinemas every three years, have a high-quality animated TV-series perhaps set in the 60s not made for kids, a live-action TV series about a 00-agent who is undercover in SPECTRE, a James Bond LEGO procuct , failrly regular computer games and the upcoming reality TV series.

What they shoudn't do is make spin-offs for every MI6 employee and their uncle.

...their U.N.C.L.E?!

The youth question is definitely why I am mildly glad SpiderBond has flopped a beloved franchise. Makes perfect sense for Amazon to want to do a decade+ MCU style long arc. It poses a lot of interesting questions, not least that the current writing style and team couldn't sustain it so it would require a lot of new core voices in the script room.

I do hope they won't have a multi-movie plot arch. We got enough of that in the Craig movies, granted they were retrofitted into a story arch. I want them to go back to standalone movies.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent

I think it's quite interesting how you look at the 70s or 80s when pretty much all kids did love Bond, they've certainly lost that and I wonder if there's a way of getting that back. I fear that if they went more cartoonish with it and embraced the gadgets and all that many long-term fans would look down their noses at it, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I don't think appealing to kids is the way to go for the Bond movies. The Marvel movies have a much better potential in that age group than movies that come out years apart about an assassin. I too would like a lighter tone for Bond movies in the future but not quite as light as it was during Moore's tenure. If it gets too light they run the risk of getting too far from the real character of Bond. I think focusing on older teens and and adults is more natural and smart.

I don't think they could make a movie every two years, it seems to be a bit too much.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

Yes, when people say this, they reveal they don't understand how feature films are made today.

It's like saying: "I don't see why Drake or Taylor Swift can't release three albums a year. The Beatles did!"

edited August 2022

This would requre a much bigger production company than EON.

I wouldn't want my Bond films to have the production feel of a Marvel films though. Marvel are banging them out every one/two years, but for me the scripts and plots are poor, it's all CGI, the soundtracks are generic and the acting is mediocre, as it feels some of the stars are (understandably) just dialling it in (and not even the best actors to begin with, in some cases).

I would much rather have a proper Bond film every three years but still doing it for real, proper stunts, minimal CGI, good scripts, plot, acting, music. Perhaps the odd spin off here and there to keep it in the public eye and bring to a larger demographic but I really hope they don't dilute everything in order to produce more content of a lesser quality for a greater return in $$$. But let's face it, it is likely.

They need to ramp up the association with LEGO. More kits. And a LEGO Bond film and computer game?!😁

edited April 2022

Marvel is a studio though, not a production company. All of those films will be being made by totally separate productions and I wouldn't have thought that the top producer will be as hands on as Broccoli & Wilson are with the Bonds. The closest we got recently was the Star Wars films and most people seem to think that they suffered: the last one in particular was very rushed.