New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    edited May 2022

10 points off, Number24. I really thought you would know better than that.

Why on Earth would he have to do a convincing English accent? James Bond isn't English, he's British (Scots/Swiss to be really pedantic). The two words are not synonyms.

Sean Connery couldn't have done an English accent if his life depended on it. You're saying this should have disqualified him?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

My mishtake, Barbel. ☺️

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff

No problemsh.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

Turner looks like James Bond but I haven't seen him take a powerful lead in a movie yet (we also don't know if he'd want it). Doesn't mean he can't, and he may well ace an audition, but I'd feel more confident in someone who has effectively held a cinema screen.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Even Leo DiCaprio is a Euphoria fan. Perhaps Elordi can get him to be the villian in Bond 26.....Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself 😅

https://www.eonline.com/news/1329591/see-leonardo-dicaprio-praise-euphorias-jacob-elordi-during-met-gala-after-party

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

And that’s precisely a good thing IMHO. I want someone who will discover what a leading role in a movie is with Bond. Turner is mostly known for Poldark, which is a British series, and having him as Bond would be quite a step for him, which is very exciting. Unlike you, I’m very confident because we are talking about a very talented and charismatic actor and I see no reason for him not to be at ease, especially with a good cast and a good director.

Don’t forget experience naturally comes with practice (except if you are a PSG player).

edited May 2022

Is that good? I don't think it is, the guy needs to be able to lead a movie, I don't want him learning on the job and maybe getting good by movie #3. I thought he was fine in Poldark but I'm not sure that translates as movie star charisma.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

I'm not familiar with Jacob Elordi's work but, at first glance, he looks too much like a four-square jock type to be right for Bond, imho.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited May 2022

Slightly confused. Aren't Aiden Turner and Aidan Turner two different actors?

As for Tom Hardy, he might be too old to have more than a couple of Bond films in him but I'd still like to see them.

edited May 2022

I repeat what I said in my previous post, Turner is talented and charismatic. Why wouldn't he be able to lead a movie ?

Sean had no reference in terms of leading role before DN. We saw the result...

edited May 2022

Connery had played the lead or co-lead in other movies, I think Turner has too but they haven't done much and I haven't seen them.

TV and film aren't the same, it just needs proof of concept. I'm not saying he can't, just that I don't feel confident that he can yet. Personally I'd rather get a more established movie actor.

Lazenby had no reference in terms of leading role before OHMSS. We saw the result... 😉 (And Eon never took that risk again!)

Ideally a new Bond actor has had the lead in a very good movie that wasn't a blockbuster. Then EON knows he can hold the screen in a cinema, but most people haven't seen it. Layer Cake with Daniel Craig is a good example.

Lazenby wasn't even an actor ! You can't compare them, it's just nonsense. About Connery, the only real leading role he had before getting the part was in The Frightened City in 1961, it's not like if the guy had an incredible experience at that time so I don't give any credit to your arguments. Sorry.

Lazenby wasn't even an actor ! You can't compare them, it's just nonsense.

They both played James Bond; two of only six actors to ever do so. They're incredibly easy to compare, that's why people do so. Frequently.

About Connery, the only real leading role he had before getting the part was in The Frightened City in 1961

No that's rubbish, I saw him star in On The Fiddle only recently (he's second billed but it's a double act co-lead film).

I don't give any credit to your arguments.

That's because you're looking for an argument, not a conversation. Not really interested in talking to you any further.

I'd say Lazenby and Connery are comparable because they were both James Bond, but in terms of acting experience when they got the role isn't.

Comparing Turner to Lazenby in terms of acting exeprience doesn't work. Lazenby had no acting experience before OHMSS, Turner has twenty entries in IMDB.

"That's because you're looking for an argument, not a conversation. Not really interested in talking to you any further."

@emtiem really ? I'm a little bit surprised because it's not the first time we talk to each other on this forum and it has always been respectful and constructive so far. Believe me, I'm not the kind of person who's looking for arguments. I may use rude words or expressions sometimes, but it's always on purpose, to justify an opinion, never to provocate. I don't see any kind of argument in my various comments.

You seem to have a problem with the fact Turner is not used to leading roles in movies while I just don't agree. It's almost like if you decide not to trust a football player who moves from a little team to a big one only because of his lack of experience. I don't understand why he should be put away. But once again, this is a personal point of view.

Concerning On the Fiddle in which Connery is the co-star indeed, the crazy tone of the movie makes it very special and doesn't constitute a solid reference to evaluate the potential of an actor to play Bond whereas The Frightened City clearly does IMHO.

Both have points to make in my opinion and a discussion is well worth having.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

I think Turner could pull it off. I'd rather have him than Elordi in the role personally and think he's a better actor than Elordi. But let's face it, the role choice won't rest on acting skills!

IMO Lazenby was very good in OHMSS and the film is one of if not my favourite Bond film.

I think whomever they choose, once you add the 'smoke and mirrors' and magic of a Bond film production, they will be believable as Bond. Obviously, people will always have differences of opinion and preferences, that's what keeps things interesting. (Fleming wasn't initially keen on Connery, remember) My favourite Bond is Roger Moore, for some, he's well down the list. But, at the end of the day, when I'm watching any James Bond film, the actor playing our beloved character on screen for those 2 hours IS James Bond.

Let's not fall out over this chaps.🍻

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I think after Craig acting skills will rank very high on the list of what EON is looking for in the next Bond. I agree Turner is probably a better actor than Elordi, but I have watched Turner far more than Elordi. Turner is 38. That's not too old, but close. Time is on the side of young actors like Jacob Elordi who is aging into and not out of the ideal age for Bond.

Interesting point of view. I love OHMSS but what prevents me from ranking it first is precisely Lazenby's performance that I don't find convincing at all. For the rest, the movie is a masterpiece (Maibaum's script, Savalas as Blofeld and Rigg as Tracy, the action stunts, Barry's soundtrack which is the best of all with TLD...).

About acting skills, I don't agree at all. I said several times on this forum what I think about Barbara Broccoli's artistic vision but if there is an element I'm sure she and Debbie McWilliams will take into account very seriously, it's this one. That's why I don't believe one second in the Elordi rumor...

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Elordi is good in Euphoria. In fact, the entire cast is fantastic in that show (especially Zendaya and Sydney Sweeney). This scene demonstrates Elordi's potential as James Bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_Yzh1l6M0

I actually posted a link to that exact scene two days ago! The series certainly gets a lot of awards and cred,

A disturbing scene, when watched out of context (which I'm doing). Still not convinced. On the strength of that, if he was in Bond's universe I'd say he'd be better suited as an Alec Trevelyan sort.

edited May 2022

Don't judge the actor because his character behaves badly. A Bond actor has to be able to conway tension and being dangerous without doing to much, something I think Jocob Elordi did very well.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Who's that? Jimmy Fallon?

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Yeah! Good luck unseeing that similarity.

😂

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I'm still stewing over Barbara's "no rush" comment at the Macbeth premiere. She's one of the play's producers, and it's a big night for Craig, and of course she had to say something to that effect.

But I hope to God it was a lie and Eon really is moving methodically behind the scenes.

What makes this speculation about the actor hard is we have no idea which way they'll go. Young Bond? Bond in mid career (as if the Craig era was all a dream)? Probably not a period accurate Bond, against my personal wishes. But honestly who knows for sure?

edited May 2022

As much as I dislike waiting, BB is right in saying the choises in front of them will influence the franchise for a long time (maybe about 20 years?)