New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    edited April 2022

Yes, that was my point. There’s no question Amazon could churn out multiple Bond adjacent films, tv shows, etc., but 007 centered features, starring the principle actor? No. It would mean reinventing all sorts of formulas, including prepub, marketing, etc., and would place a huge workload on Babs and Michael. Most of all it would mean resetting expectations about what a Bond film IS rather than a global event aimed at making $1 billion a pop. (Think about how it took half a year simply to rollout NTTD at box offices around the world.) It would be a radical project. I’d love to see them make some gestures in this direction (by filming two features back to back for instance), simply because I think the formula needs to be reimagined. But anything more would require replacing the heads of Eon with a youngish, energetic visionary intent on shaking up not just the franchise but how big features in general are made.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

The line of lightness is an interesting one. Even though it's now two decades since Goldmember the spectre (🙄) of Austin Powers looms large for a not insignificant section of media/critics etc ready to pile in if Bond gets groovy on itself...especially as Myers was touting the fourth film again two months ago - one assumes it took him at least 20 years to get over seeing DAD a few months after Goldmember.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

I don't think I would be too keen on a "Bond Universe". I might be ok with something with Felix Leiter but you would have to be careful not to have Leiter overshadow Bond. I could see a Leiter series on Amazon Prime but while Bond could be mentioned (maybe have the series take place prior to Bond and Leiter meeting) , Bond should never be seen or really part of the story. Also, while Bond should never be seen or have any real part in the series or story, I would also make sure that Leiter is very different from Bond in personality, approach, style, etc.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,724MI6 Agent

I think Leiter is the dullest choice for a spinoff to be honest, he's very much a supporting character. There are a few characters you could spin off from the films, or reinvent in their own thing, but you'd have to pick the ones who would be interesting.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,811MI6 Agent

I hope they "spin off" as little as possible. The spin-offs they make should be different in style and have plots that don't mess with the James Bond movies. For example they could make a thriler TV-series about a female 00-agent undercover in SPECTRE, but not use SPECTRE in the tenure of the next Bond actor (I don't think they should anyway).

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

If they go with a younger James Bond, the new WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING really highlights Harris Dickinson as one of the top choices.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent

But man was the second season a slog!

Leiter has been spun off in comics, and they allllmost did something interesting with the idea of

a: a disabled protagonist who is reconciling his new reality with his chosen profession;

b: an almost meta approach to his psychology, playing with the idea that not every operative is a "first man through the door" type - some people are sidekicks, and what does that do to a guy's sense of self-worth, etc. It was an interesting approach but not a home run.

Oh, and if they don't figure out how to make 12-year-olds care about Bond again, there aren't going to be many fans left in 25 years. The series needs to evolve past...well, us 😁

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

I would think that Harris Dickinson would be busy with more Kingsmen prequels plus I don't think that EON is looking to take someone from another franchise that close to Bond.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent

"I would think that Harris Dickinson would be busy with more Kingsmen prequels"

Ehh, little risk of that, I think.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

The niche audience who have Brit Box could do worse than watch Hugh Laurie's Why Didn't They Ask Evan's? adaptation where Will Poulter will be further convincing me that Amazon doing a period series covering all the novels faithfully would be a great thing. Strict rules of golf...

Less niche could always watch Dopesick to get a measure of this increasingly great prospect.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I say no to a Bond universe (although I’d watch a Mathis spinoff if it was Fleming’s Mathis).

I'm dreaming of a Blofeld origins film directed by Martin Scorsese. A violet three hour epic about how Blofeld became the cold, calculated leader of SPECTRE.

Also, it has dawned on me that Harry Styles will almost certainly audition for the next James Bond. He will be able to get into the room for sure. I have a feeling he wants to be Bond. Though I really doubt Eon will hire such a superstar in the part - as he would be so distracting. However, Harry has impressed massive name directors like Christopher Nolan, Chloe Zhao, Robert Eggers, etc.

I think your idea about Scorses directing a Blofeld origin story is a very good one, but only if Bond wasn't his foster brother.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,144MI6 Agent
    edited April 2022

Connor Swindells and Jack O'Connell not doing their chances any harm in the new BBC series SAS: Rogue Heroes

Not sure either are right for me though and Jack O'Connell is only 5'7".

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Harry Styles would certainly get the younger audience bums on seats.

I don't see it for any of them to be honest, but suggestions is a good thing.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

And he is playing Paddy Mayne who was a giant of a man🙄

Variety say that Jacob Elordi has been "whispered" about as the new James Bond

edited May 2022

Unlike many actors his age (24) and even into their thirties Elordi comes across as a man. That's not just a plus, it's a must for Bond. To my ears he speaks "Californian Australian", and that's not ideal for me. I suspect many sees it as a plus that I will never complain that Elorid isn't tall enough to be Bond. 😁

PS: someone commented on Bond and age online: In an alternate reality where Lazenby continued as Bond after OHMSS he could've made all the movies up to and including TND before he got as old as RM was when he made AVTAK!

Lazenby was 29 when he made OHMSS and Elordi will likely be in his late 20s when the next Bond movie gets made.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,273MI6 Agent

A bit young right now, I'd say, but if they only make one film every 5 years, he'll be 29, then 34, 39, 44, 49 and stop.

I think they will do a 'Young Bond' film next. Follow him before he became 007. Akin to Timothee Chalamet in Dune or MCU's Spider-Man. In that context, Jacob Elordi works as he is young but still masculine.

edited May 2022

The novel Dune follows the protagonist from he's seventeen, the movie(s) just follows the books. I don't really follow Spiderman, but isn't he an eternal teenager? Bond is different. The Fleming novels and the movies always shows him as an experienced adult.

I don't want another James Bond origin story. I'd like James Bond in Bond26 to be a 00-agent in his early thirties. Not a veteran in the service, but a fully formed 007.

He's over 6'4"! Personally, I don't want my next Bond to be shorter than 5'10" or over 6'3". I know, I know. I'm being very particular.

Looks wise, he reminds me a little of Michael Praed.

Like N24, I wouldn't be keen on an origins story arc, either. I could see them doing that given it's on trend but not sure I've got the emotional energy or enthusiasm to invest in another 12 years of personal back story, coming of age, angst and betrayal/revenge/atonement. But hey, the series needs to attract a younger audience and as somebody nearing my half century, I fully appreciate I'm not in the prime targeted demographic, anymore.

edited May 2022

When they made CR reboots and origin stories was sort of new and in fashion. Batman Begins was perhaps the prime example. I'm not so sure it is anymore.

As many probably has guessed I don't think a very tall Bond is much of a problem. if Bond is taller than the Bond girls and even the main villan I don't think that causes many difficulties. Here is a photo of Jacob Elordi with his Euphoria co-stars. He's taller than them, but is it a problem?

Henchmen should in general not look small compared to Bond, but tall and athletic actors are out there. The henchmen roles are usually not the most challenging ones acting wise, they don't need to be Oscar winners like the main villan actors.

He was at the Met Gala yesterday evening and was channeling his inner 007. I think if they wanted to tell the story of a 'Young Bond' and also get teenage audiences excited, then someone like Elordi would work. I know people rebuff the notion of enticing younger audiences - which is natural for more seasoned fans - however, remember when you got into Bond? You were likely young. I know I was (and I'm not young anymore). Now they need a new generation to get hyped.

edited May 2022

He's looking really good. But let's not forget there is more he has to convince EON about. Elordi has as far as I know not shown himself to be an actor of Craig's calibre. Can he be tough, rutless, suave? Is he athletic? Can he do a convincing English accent? Does he have the qualities to be a bankable movie star? Elordi shows some promise, but he has yet to prove himself in several areas. I found this sequence of clips of him from Euphoria that I find promising when it comes to his looks and also gives hints of his acting capability.

Euphoria | Nate Play with Fire | Jacob Elordi - YouTube

Here's a scene where he plays cold and threathening: Euphoria 2x06 Nate Threatens Maddy (HD) Season 2 Episode 6 - YouTube

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 408MI6 Agent

For God's sake, is it that hard to ask for the return of a dark-haired actor ? After 15 years of Red Grant, I expect some kind of Connery/Lazenby/Dalton/Brosnan style to create the perfect contrast with Craig and his invisible eyebrows...

How cannot Aidan Turner be on top of the list ? 38, Irish, suave and debonair, great actor, not a big star (the kind of guy who doesn't build a carreer on blockbusters only) and most of all, looks like Dalton who's my favourite Bond after Sean.

"Aidan Turner as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007" It sounds so well !

Just look at this, there's nothing more to say.

Aidan Turner is a very good candidate, but I think you'll find there's a lot more to say. 😁

I completely agree. Aiden Turner is almost a perfect candidate and therein lies the problem.. Ms Broccoli, in particular, has shown she likes to push the envelope and look a bit leftfield, and in order to appeal to an extended demographic, she (Eon) are likely to go with somebody other than him.

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 408MI6 Agent

It depends on your wishes. I miss typical spy thrillers like FRWL, FYEO and TLD and I think Turner would be wonderful in it, some kind of Dalton 2.0 that I'd love to see.

But I've learnt not to expect anything from EON since 1996. Once again, I will let Barbara Broccoli disappoint me in the way she intends to 😜