New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Aaron Pierre's height is listed at 6'2.5'' to 6'3''. But one wonders how a black James Bond with a French name will go down with some.

Here he is in a tux, looking good:

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Looks very sharp. Ultra modern Bond that would attract a younger audience. Might alienate some, as you say. But if he has the acting chops, kicks ass convincingly, has the charm and ultimately has the script and quality of director, then he like any of the names mentioned would be a success.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

I haven't seen him act, and that would be the main thing, but I like his tough look.

I haven't seen him act, but I'be seen him in interviews. He has charm and a deep, comanding voice.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

I haven't seen him in anything either. But he is booking so many big projects. Plus from an interview I saw, it was Barry Jenkins who first saw him in theatre and later hired him. I really like Barry Jenkins' films, so should watch The Underground Railroad. Also, Barry Jenkins apparently pitched Barbara Broccoli a Moneypenny spin-off with Naomie Harris. Another Barry I really like is Barry Keoghan. Could he be Bond? He's a tremendous actor and has a slightly unexpected quality to him - akin to a certain Daniel Craig. I think my preferred 4 choices are:

(1) Jacob Elordi

(2) Aaron Pierre

(3) Barry Keoghan

(4) Jack O'Connell

• MepharielMephariel Posts: 15MI6 Agent

Barry Keoghan looks more like the perfect Bond villain than Bond.

Did you happen to just see The Batman? Personally, I think Keoghan has the edge to make a terrific hero. I recall people saying similar things about Craig in 2005 - "He's better suited as a baddie, etc." Keoghan's more macabre vibe may serve him well in the role of 007.

His age and IMDB list are good, but at 5'6'' (170 cm) he isn't tall like Craig is ....... 😁

But like Craig he has an unconventional look, so maybe BB likes him.

edited March 2022

I prefer his Dunkirk co-star Jack Lowden (31 years old, 6'1'', "War and peace", "Mary queen of Scots".

edited March 2022

Keoghan, Lowden and Mark Rylance:

What do you make of Rege-Jean Page attending an EON Productions event this week in London? Barbara Broccoli was also in attendance. He even posed next to their logo. Could it be an open secret that he is the next 007? He posted this on Instagram

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

With you on this Number 24… think he’d be great but also just watched Underground Railway and Aaron Pierre would be well worth screentesting imho!

I like seeing these more interesting ideas, thanks for sharing.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Keoghan makes Craig look like Cary Grant. Unconventional is one thing, but Keoghan is too weaselly looking (and he looks like a teenager or university student) to be Bond IMO.

He is a decent character actor though, just not Bond material.

edited March 2022

Or the kiss of death for his chances of being Bond😁. I wonder if he might be cast in something other than Bond that EON is producing?

Oops, I just remembered, he has been cast as the Saint in the re-boot which should pretty much remove him from Bond contention (and please don't compare that with Roger Moore; Roger's Saint was a TV show, not a big budget film and was done by 1969). Of course, if the Saint reboot has been canceled (and I haven't seen anything to that effect), then things would certainly be very different.

Pierre looks like a good candidate, but Lowden has the advantage of looking like Sean Connery.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

The biggest problem for Page is he’s not much of an actor. My wife watched Bridgerton, so I was forced to suffer a few episodes while trying not to watch and he’s incredibly flat. Not much more than a pretty face, I’m afraid.

I haven't seen Bridgerton, but I do think Page would better his chances to be cast as Bond if he does a critically acclaimed movie. So far he seems to lightweight.

edited March 2022

The reality is, casting Bond was never only about finding a tall handsome face that looks good in a tux. Sir Roger, who was not a great actor by any stretch, had tons of charm and charisma while being able to pull off a lighter, more humorous version of Bond in a natural unforced way.

My guess is for EON, there will still be a "Wooden model types who can't act need not apply" sign attached to Bond.

I agree. Especially after Craig I don't see how they can cast someone who isn't a good actor. But this doesn't exclude tall, handsome actors. There are many of those.

I agree. Especially after Craig I don't see how they can cast someone who isn't a good actor. But this doesn't exclude tall, handsome actors. There are many of those. Aidan Turner, Nicolas Hoult, Jack Lowden, Aaron Taylor- Johnson, Dev Patel and others.

edited March 2022

I wasn't inferring that tall and handsome was bad, just that tall and handsome alone would not be enough.

I didn't realize Aaron Taylor-Johnson was only 31....seems like he's been around for ever. He's also done quite a few character roles with long hair and a beard (and playing Americans) which also makes him a bit less recognizable. Not many starring roles with top billing lately that I am aware of. He's best known for his Marvel film role as one of the Maximoff twins but that character was killed off. He's also has stage and art film cred (but he's done action and played soldiers) which would be a positive with Barbara. He's also a young looking 31 which helps since we probably won't be seeing Bond 26 for another 3 years.

I do think there's a reason why he's kind of struggled to take off though: he's rather lacking in presence. Maybe he'll suddenly come into his own, I don't know, but right now I wouldn't find him an exciting choice.

He got a very strangely small role in the latest Kingsman film: I'm not sure whether he was cut out or his part was being planted for a sequel.

True, you didn't say that. I just wanted to make a point.

edited March 2022

Taylor-Johnson appeared to be a hot commodity after Kick Ass and Nowhere Boy but while he seems to have no trouble getting film work he has not become the major star he was projected to be. His part is very curious in the latest Kingsman film and as emtiem and Gymkata previously said, it does look like a set-up for I guess what could be considered a sequel to the prequel😁.

The question raised as to whether he has that special screen presence, etc for Bond is certainly valid unless he is one of those very rare uniquely chameleon-like actors who can literally create those intangibles when they are in character; but I guess that's what screen tests are for.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

His allegiance to Vaughn aside, ATJ seemed to be cured of any blockbuster yearnings with Godzilla.

He's got some moves, though!

Yes, he was nicely terrifying in Nocturnal Animals.

Yes he was...and almost unrecognizable. Very good actor, no doubt.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

I stand corrected - just a nine-year break between blockbusters! Fair enough. And yeah, absolutely amazing in Nocturnal Animals; that's the one where it took me a minute to recognize him.