New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

I read in an interview with ATJ where he recounted going a bit too far in his preparation for his role in Nocturnal Animals. In addition to growing his hair long and a beard, he started smoking and drinking, apparently way too heavily. I guess we wouldn't have to worry about ATJ doing his homework for Bond.....(hopefully that would just include getting adept at handling firearms, hand to hand combat, spycraft, etc but not too many vodka martinis and Morelands).

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,714MI6 Agent

I'm sure I remember reading him saying somewhere that he wouldn't want to do Bond, but I don't know where I saw it so I might be mistaken.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Hardly realistic, but I'd personally love to see Brosnan return to the role for a one off movie...

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent

Very far from realistic, but your wish comes from a good place. ☺️

So would Dalton. But casting a former Bond in new Bond movies smacks of stunt casting and would probably spur on the code name brigade. A highly respected character actor is the way to go.

edited March 2022

I just hope EON takes this opportunity and do something completely unexpected with the next entry.

For the first time ever, they have a completely clean slate. I doubt we'll ever see another Bond film be able to pull off what NTTD did and completely annihilate audience expectations of what happens in a Bond film, let alone have the ability to be leave audiences this surprised and uncertain of what will happen in any follow up.

In all seriousness, I know it's a HIGHLY unpopular opinion, but I sincerely hope Nomi is the star of the next film. Let Bond rest for a decade or two, and for now, continue Nomi's story as the new 007. Say what you will about agenda setting, but I for one am all for diversity and inclusion, and more importantly, I'd imagine this would give fresh creative blood to the series, not to mention build a hunger and anticipation for James Bond's return.

And anyway, I just think this iteration of the 00 team (M, Q, Moneypenny, Tanner) is the most inspired and memorable bit of writing and casting since the 60s set the standard (Judi Dench aside). Fingers crossed well see this ensemble continue for a few more films. And anyway, those hypothetical gap movies between NTTD and the next Bond movie would give EON a break from having the inevitable comparison of the newest Bond to Craig.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Supriseingly I would be happy with this idea for a couple of movies… weren’t they thinking of doing something like this with the Jinx character!

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent

I wouldn't mind a Nomi film but 10 or 20 years without a James Bond film is not something I would be happy about. 6 year waits are bad enough and the hunger is there for most after 3 three years.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Sort of... If I'm not mistaken, the original plan was for a spin-off series that would run concurrently with the Bond films?

I'd like to think of it like Star Wars- specifically, the end of the prequels to the new sequel trilogy. Or the gap between the originals to the prequels for that matter...

Say what you will about the quality of the prequel trilogy or the sequel trilogy, but having the story end for a decade or so and wait a while before the board was reset? A cultural phenomenon with unprecedented anticipation... i can't imagine they'd get the same reception if the gap between Star Wars trilogies had just kept going at a regular 3 year pace, especially if the last few years is anything to go by...

I think there are a few spinoffs possible but I don't know if Felix has really got the chops to helm one; he's not really very interesting. Wai Lin, sure; but I guess that's mostly because Michelle Yeoh is fantastic!

There are a few ways you could do spinoffs: Tiger Tanaka and Aki cruising around Tokyo in Tiger's luxury underground train and using various high tech methods of disposing of baddies I'd certainly watch 😁 Or Scaramanga's journey from the KGB to becoming the world's greatest assassin, that'd be pretty cool because he's basically the anti-Bond, and he's actually got recognisable iconography in the gun itself.

I actually think Harris' Moneypenny could easily star in something, maybe a sort of London thriller-ish plot. I think she's very good.

I thought Lashana Lynch was very cool and capable as Nomi and I really would like to see more of that character, but the problem is is that she is a double 0 agent, which means she'd be going on the same missions Bond would, driving Aston Martins and wearing posh watches with gadgets in them, and you're ultimately left the question 'why aren't I watching Bond?'. I don't really think you can do a Bond spinoff with another 00 because you're just doing a Bond plot but with one of the most iconic characters ever devised missing.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

Personally I’m only interested in future films that say in the credits <insert male actor’s name> as Ian Fleming’s James Bond.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited March 2022

Ten or even twenty years without James Bond movies? NO, NO WAY!!

That's most of a generation without new Bond movies. Why would anyone want to do that to our favourite series and character?

edited March 2022

I think some spinoffs could work if they felt like Bond. But it is tricky to find a way of doing that without ending up with a product which could simply just be starring 007 himself.

edited March 2022

But wouldn't that result in a the Nomi TV series where Bond is dead (because in her timeline he is) at the same time as we get a new Bond where Bond never died? It would make no sense. BB also points out that making Bond movies is plenty work and running a big TV series too would require a much bigger company than EON.

The solution to getting a superspy series isn't to make Bond a woman or making a spinoff of Bond (Jinx, Wai Lin, Nomi). The solution is to make a new character (or Modesty Blaise!) completely independent of Bond and start a new franchise. It's that easy (and difficult).

As I said, a Nomi series wouldn't really be a Nomi series: it would be 'an absence of James Bond' series- where she goes and gets missions from M, gadgets from Q, drives her Aston to go and meet posh supervillains etc. She'd simply be occupying the empty space where Bond should be, rather than having a role unique for her, and the audience would be constantly reminded that they're not watching James Bond.

Maybe it would work if you put her in a position that Bond would never be in, although I think you'd still want some element of posh hotels and concrete lairs, otherwise why set it in the 007 universe at all?

So yeah, either you do something completely independent of the Bond world, or you set it in Bond's world but do something totally different. A SPECTRE show feels a bit less 'where's Bond?', yeah.

Perhaps a series about a MI6 agent in deep cover infiltrating SPECTRE? I'm sceptical to a Bond-related TV-series, but that could maybe work.

Emtiem mentined something det in the SPECTRE organisation in the previous post and I'm sure others have too.

Well I was just replying to Gymkata's suggestion. Me, I want a Scaramanga show :)

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent

Possibly not appropriate with things as they currently are now but I think a gritty, dark spin-off of Donovan 'Red' Grant would be good, as per his back story in the FRWL novel.

Growing up in Ireland, the brawling and murdering, boxing, early life in the British Army, defection to the Soviet Union and then various missions for Smersh and Spectre, ultimately concluding to the scene on the Orient Express in FRWL. Hell, it could even be a way to introduce the new James Bond to audiences and have that actor playing Bond in those scenes, carry on in his role in the next film. Although that would mean they have to go down the 'Bond set in the 50's/60s' route (no bad thing), but I think the whole thing could also work in a contemporary setting, and again would lead nicely on to the next Bond film.

Casting: Josh Dylan as Red Grant

James Bond: You choose. But for a period piece somebody (reasonably) tall, dark and handsome in the traditional mould would work best, I think.

Tatiana Romanova: Anya Taylor-Joy

Anyway, all fantasy. Never going to happen.😁

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I would like to see a henchman in a Bond movie not named Red Grant, but using his backstory and personality. I think that could turn out to be a classsic henchman.

Anya Taylor-Joy is great! Have you seen her movie debut in The Witch? But I prefer Bond girls who aren't interantional stars yet, like Eva Green and Izabella Scoruppco.

There are several blonde assassin henchmen, but Grant's backstory has never been used on film.

edited March 2022

In the novel Grant is a psycopath and a serial killer. In other words he has an inner urge to kill. SMERSH finds him and trains him. Then SMERSH gives Grant missions to kill their enemies, directing his urges in a "productive" way, and SMERSH pay and supports him. Imagine TV's Dexter working for SMERSH. In other words the Grant of the novel isn't the anti-Bond. Bond could have become a travel journalist and extreme sports enthusiast. Maybe a racing driver or card sharp. He would be perfectly happy not killing a single person. Grant couldn't because he's a born serial killer.

edited March 2022

I really have no interest in any Bond "spin-offs".

The only deviation I would be ok with other than a reboot to some extent of the cinematic Bond made for theatrical release would be Bond done as a period piece in the timeline of the original Fleming novels (however I would not want the novels remade but original stories set in the mid to late 50's). My other requirements would be that Tom Ellis be cast as Bond and not as a rookie/neophyte Bond but the cold war, smoking, drinking, gambling, charming, womanizing, spying, assassinating, licensed killer for the Crown Bond . IMO, Ellis would be perfect as Bond in that era. The longer form of a high budget Amazon Prime show would also allow the time to get in all the Fleming elements and details like Bond's home, his housekeeper, May, etc. I doubt it will ever happen. Period pieces eliminate the highly profitable opportunities for product placement. But it's just something I have thought about.

edited March 2022

I think the best and most realistic way for a deviation (as you call it) is your idea, but made as a quality animated series made for adults. I haven't watched them, but I understand there are Batman animation of this type.

As an avid Lucifer viewer (that sounds a bit strange) beyond Tom Ellis' looking more physically capable I have found he is looking much better in the fight scenes/physical action in the later seasons of the series. What I find very encouraging relative to Bond in Ellis' performance as Lucifer is the way he so seamlessly and convincingly can go from smooth, charming and gentlemanly to malevolent violent killer but one who still conveys a sense of conflict and even remorse over some of his actions. Ellis also does humor (especially of a dark nature) very well. When I watch Ellis as Lucifer I can't help but see a good dose of Fleming's Bond albeit to an amped up fantasy level.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

I’d rather watch grass grow than Nomi-centric Bond film. First of all, that’s not a “Bond film.” Second, she’s the weakest link in a middling film. Thank the heavens some of you lot aren’t in charge.

Opinions do vary. I don't think NTTD is middling and I don't think Nomi is the weakest link. But I do agree I don't want a Nomi-centric movie.

Yeah, I can't see her as the weakest link in any film which has Safin in it! 😊

She's good as what she is and I would like to see more of her (although I can't imagine how that could happen) but her part is underwritten.