New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

I hope we start getting more 60 years anniversary events and things coming soon. We're almost half way through the year and very little so far, really. I can understand they probably want to peak for October and time their marketing just right for maximum impact, but still.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,702MI6 Agent

They've got to get a script and director first I would imagine; they've probably started on those in some fashion but that's all going to take a while.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

Exactly. Without a script and probably a director, I doubt many actors would commit—even to Bond!

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,787MI6 Agent

My (uneducated) guess is we first get the names of the writers, then the director and only then the actor. I do hope we get the first two this year.

The more I see of Jack Lowden, the more I wouldn't mind him in the role. A little baby faced a few years ago, but ageing well and is only going to look tougher and edgier as the years go by. Would easily have 5 Bond films in him. Would be good to have another Scot in the role as a nod to Bond's literary heritage and of course, Connery.

Height: 6ft

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Would still find it odd having Bond and River Cartwright portrayed by the same actor concurrently...a bit like if Michael Jayston had been Peter Guillam and Bond at the same time.

No disputing Lowden's talent, though.

• SaskSask Posts: 12MI6 Agent

It's a shame Henry Cavill and Idris Elba are too old.

At 39 Cavill is probably not too old.

• BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 351MI6 Agent

Prefer somebody from the tall, dark and handsome mold like that they've traditionally pulled from.

Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Idris would have been perfect. However, he's too old and massively overexposed. He looked like 007 at Cannes this week

Tbh I thought he was older 😅 He was considered as replacement of Pierce Brosnan, so if he is still in his 30s he might have a good chance. Last time most actors who were considered were in their early 30s, but in the end they chose Daniel Craig who was in his late 30s.

I found 2 British actors in their early 30s who no one mentioned so far. So here they are.

Joe Alwyn

Billy Howle

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Craig wasn't chosen for his age, but despite it. The script called for a rookie Bond, but in the end the age was overlooked because they simply wanted Daniel Craig.

Which is more or less how the franchise has always worked. Roger Moore was dropped into For Your Eyes Only (which was specifically written to introduce a new Bond) and View To A Kill (which sure feels on paper as if it was written for a younger Bond) simply because they wanted him back. Watertight logic has never been the franchise's strong suit.

So I wouldn't write anyone off as too old/too young just yet, because that won't be their primary criteria. Everyone thinking Eon is looking ten years down the road isn't paying attention to the history of this franchise.

"Who excites Eon?" is the tail that will wag this dog.

But RM was very much established as James Bond when he made FYEO and AVTAK, the producers simply went with a safe bet. Bond26 will introduce a new Bond actor, so it's not really comparable. Craig in CR is of course much more relevant. But Craig started playing the old, possibly over the hill, Bond in his third movie and tiredness and injuries were among of the reasons for the long delays were between his movies. Perhaps EON wants to avoid this situation this time? But "who excites EON?" is really the deciding factor, I think you're right there.

I suspect the bloom is off the rose with Cavill - it's not that he's too big but too exposed. Five years ago I would have held the "MAN FROM UNCLE" gig against his odds, but at this point he's too aligned with other franchise characters (Superman and The Witcher).

Maybe the x factor for him is movie audiences finally seeing him with a British accent 😂

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 406MI6 Agent

Interesting! What makes you think that ? I'd love to see some kind of Brosnan era 2.0 with better scripts, and Cavill would be perfect for that.

But I'm very pessimistic about his odds. He's already a big star and I don't think BB will hire this kind of profile.

Nicolas Hoult

Hoult is quite primed, I think, and has been laying in the cut with impressive supporting roles of late. I've been mentioning him since before the pandemic. BUT...

Something I'm very wary of is not getting my hopes up for any one choice, as it then stains the eventual choice if they go another way. There was a bit of this with Clive Owen in 2005 and when it went to Craig it fed the negativity. Some folks were so grumpy about not getting their choice that it clouded their enjoyment of the eventual films.

I care less about getting the Bond I want than I do about wanting to receive the new Bond with an open mind.

But yeah...

That's a good point @HalfMonk HalfHitman We should just try and embrace whomever is chosen when finally cast, and start to look forward to Bond 26, with that person in the role.

Nicholas Hoult is down to 80/1 in some bookies at the moment. Good time to place a small bet. I put a few quid on him a few months ago at 66-1. Would be happy with him.

Hoult is still probably the one I feel as most likely, just because of the amount of film experience he has- and that he's a successful movie actor who does a wide variety of roles. Obviously he might not want to do it of course!

edited May 2022

Very good pont, @HalfMonk HalfHitman Keeping an open mind and giving the next Bond actor a chance is important. Like many I was sceptical to Craig when he got the role, but luckily I gave him a chance to prove himself. Like so many others I thought CR was fantastic!

Nicholas Hoult has become a much better Bond candidate in recent years. He has aged well (but still has a way to go IMO) and he has proved himself in supporting roles in movies like Mad Max and The Favourite.

According to some sources Hoult was Robert Pattison's main competitor when The Batman was cast. Apparently Hoult was also cast as a villan in the two upcoming MI movies before he pulled out. It seems like important people see him as a coming star.

Hoult has been my front runner for a long while.

Although Will Poulter running round Ibiza with Florence Pugh is doing himself no harm.

Poulter has many strengths, but in my shallow opinion the proportions of his face are strange.

edited May 2022

I saw those pictures and I couldn't help being jealous of, among other things, his fantastic hair 😁

He's one of those actors that is definitely (still) growing into his face...

...but of course every Bond actor has had some facial quirk...mainly the ears!