Coronavirus

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    An early case of Covid has been dated to 10.November 2019.
    So far she could be Patient Zero

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/bjd.19804
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I skimmed the article and it looks like she was Italy's patient Zero, not the world's.
    Earliest documented Covid Case in China is from 15. November 2019.
    So, so far the‘s the oldest documented Covid Patient.
    And we all know that proper documentation in China is not their highest priority

The article does not give away travel history from that patient.
    But it‘s certainly interesting.

Then we are in agreement.
    For those who still think, that the Covid numbers are inflated or overreported, just check this detailed stats that lists excess by weeks and you can even see the matching spikes to the Covid numbers last spring/early summer.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

They basically take the given deaths that happened over the last years ( and that includes flu waves) and compare it with the 2020 numbers and point out the delta.

If anyone still insists that overreporting happens, he either did not read this or does not understand it - or still lives in phantasyland :D

7cac9460e9.jpg

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Interesting - and dispiriting for Brits.

Noway will be glad of this occasion to come close to 'nul points'.

What's the source for this, Higgins?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2021
    Source, as in my previous post indicated:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

You can thank me later with a praising post, Nap :D :D

Today we reached the sad number of five hundred Covid-19 dead (most of the second wave hit us after the dates on graph). Sad as it us we have gotten off lightly compared to many other countries, as NP points out. A low population density and a culture for social distancing is part of the reason, but Sweden's death toll of around 9000 makes it clear not everything can be explained this way. Unlike the US we've had practically no political fighting over the Corona strategy and the trust in the government and other relevant authorities increased last year. There has been some mistakes done by the authorities, mostly involving foreign workers, but generally the strategy has been good and based on science. Let's hope we all get to the end of this tragedy.
    edited January 2021
    Higgins wrote:
    7cac9460e9.jpg

Why is Turkey represented by Istanbul and Indonesia represented by Jakarta and not the entire country?
    Over 1,500 dead in the UK. That's not including anyone with Long Covid.

The worst figure since the pandemic began.

That there are some in the UK saying this is a hoax is so odd, so unhinged. It's as if you got people thinking World War II wasn't going on because they didn't know anyone who'd died in it and they hadn't seen footage of people dying on the Normandy beaches. That said, you did get people thinking stories of the Holocaust would be disbelieved or branded as hoaxes.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Number24 wrote:

Today we reached the sad number of five hundred Covid-19 dead (most of the second wave hit us after the dates on graph). Sad as it us we have gotten off lightly compared to many other countries, as NP points out. A low population density and a culture for social distancing is part of the reason, but Sweden's death toll of around 9000 makes it clear not everything can be explained this way. Unlike the US we've had practically no political fighting over the Corona strategy and the trust in the government and other relevant authorities increased last year. There has been some mistakes done by the authorities, mostly involving foreign workers, but generally the strategy has been good and based on science. Let's hope we all get to the end of this tragedy.

Sweden has now got 10 000 corona deaths, not 9000. The good nevs is they are slowly changing their strategy and are now doing what most countries started doing about ten months ago.
    Higgins wrote:
    Source, as in my previous post indicated:

You can thank me later with a praising post, Nap :D :D

Higgins, you really are the most marvellous fellow!

iu.jpg

Prof Higgins bows and breaks into song with 'Why Can't The English Teach Their People How To Vote'... :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Higgins wrote:
    And we all know that proper documentation in China is not their highest priority

I am just hearing that China is using the Milan case in their attempt to fingerpoint to Europe now.
    That was not the intention of my previous post - I have no intention to whitewash China and the roots of this pandemic.
    Pretty sure, the virus came from China - I‘ll stand corrected if there is hard evidence of something else.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff

Higgins, you really are the most marvellous fellow!

iu.jpg

Prof Higgins bows and breaks into song with 'Why Can't The English Teach Their People How To Vote'... :D

God forbid, we should grow accustomed to this face-

cr67-pre-credits.jpg
    Higgins wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

I am just hearing that China is using the Milan case in their attempt to fingerpoint to Europe now.
    That was not the intention of my previous post - I have no intention to whitewash China and the roots of this pandemic.
    Pretty sure, the virus came from China - I‘ll stand corrected if there is hard evidence of something else.

Finally WHO investigators are allowed to enter China and Wuhan. A correspondent from Norway tried to film the wet marker believed to be ground Zero for Covid-19, but the place was fenced in and uniformed men (who refused to say what organisation they are from) forbud her to film there and chase her away. Chinese authorities clearly think they have something to hide.
    I‘ve just seen an interview with Etihad‘s CEO.

He labels himself being a helpless optimist and his credo is „ never waste a good crisis“.
    In my opinion something that we should bring a bit more into our focus.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Last week one of my dearest friends died of COVID. She was in her seventies and not in the best of health to begin with, but this was still sudden and a shock. If anyone still thinks this virus isn't a killer, think again.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Hardyboy.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry to hear that too, Hardyboy. And I agree, those who think it's a hoax, or treat it lightly, need their heads examined.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    Sincere condolences, Hardyboy.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Who warnes the world is on the brink of "catastrophic moral failure" because of unequal distribution of Covid-19 vaccines. One can see their point, as 80% of the vaccines planned to be produced in 2021are already bought by rich countries.
    And imo the criticism is correct.

Just imagine tat you are living in a poor country and see the richer countries buying the markets empty and leave you the breadcrumbs at best.

Shows how much of humanitarians we all really are.

Both national and some international media has reported that a couple of dozen old people have died after getting the Covid-19 vaccine. This is because the first in line for the vaccine here are very old people with underlying illnesses. Many of them are frankly on death's door already, and the slightest worsening of their health can be the final straw. We know it's not uncommon for some to get a bit under the weather after a flu shot and other vaccines and sdly that's more than what the frailest among us can take. After these deaths doctors are told to consider not vaccinating the weakest of the elderly.
    I am hearing that in the UK, around 5 million people have been vaccinated - and they have almost finished with all the >80 year olds.

So, it's safe to say - Horray - Barbel is safe now :D

Wonderful news! :)) :))
    I am just reading that UK government are discussing a £500 payment to Covid Positive tested people „ because they have higher expenses during isolation“.

Not sure of that will help to bring numbers down or increase the obeyance to public health measures....

I don't think that's the polnt.
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Knowing the mentality of some people, I can see many nipping out to go and lick shopping trolleys in the vain hope of pocketing a £500 hand-out.

I can't see this payment thing happening, but then again nothing would surprise me in this day & age.

Also been advised by a close friend of the death of one of his relatives following a reaction to the Pfizer vaccine ... not good to hear & worrying.
    Populism Handbook chapter 15.3:

During today's press briefing BOJO and experts gave news about the new mutant, that is going around mainly in the UK (I will not call it the UK virus just like others have called it the Chinavirus...)

Johnson said, that previously, from 1000 infected people 10 died and now it will be 13 or 14.
    Doesn't really sound alarming, right?

Well, he could have said, that because of the new mutant getting stronger and stronger, we have a 30-40% increased mortality number!

This discussion has been closed.