AJB live commentary on GOLDFINGER

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Mr Solo's drive could have been cut, like Calvin Dyson says. Just leave his scenes at the farm.

They wanted to include the car-crushing sequence
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    The fact that we see all the gangsters actually gassed makes us think later (if we're seeing the movie for the first time) that perhaps everyone else in the vicinity of Fort Knox has really been killed too, by Pussy's Flying Circus.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Mr Solo's drive could have been cut, like Calvin Dyson says. Just leave his scenes at the farm.
    yeh but the point is Leiter is following, thinking its Bond, and then the homing device is lost for good
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I like the scene. Showcases a bit of America, some more Oddjob and the car crush.
    Wasting a nice car just to kill one guy...could have done that a lot easier
    edited April 2020
    "Ten'll get you one it's either a drink or a dame." Pointing in the direction of the style of dialogue Felix gets in DAF and LALD. Rik Van Nutter's Felix in TB, in between, is relatively humourless.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    Good points
    Also, the blue car (whatever it is) driving like it doesn’t have the weight of another vehicle in the rear tray...no suspension sag at all.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger is trying to hold Pussy's hand, and she pulls away...
    just a scene or two before Bond's charms finally work on her!
    The "mint julep" scene" is another classic. Goldfinger makes a pass at Pussy (who wouldn't?), then verbally clashes swords with 007. Note how Bond has respect for him ("I apologize, Goldfinger. It's an inspired scheme") which isn't always the case with the villains. Also note that Goldfinger's scheme will kill 60,000 people. Bond's first plan (planting a homer on Mr Solo) has failed. His only resort is to try and seduce Pussy, which of course he does.
    That scene is often quoted as an example of Bond's sexism. In fact, he's trying to save 60,000 people from death.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger just ordered Pussy to change into something a bit more sexy

#metoo
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Here's where the film-makers trump Fleming with a more plausible plot for the villain.
    I think Bond and Goldfinger have the coziest rapport out of any Bondvillains, they share a lot of dilaogs together throughout this film
    Gymkata wrote:
    Connery is still fighting that zit on his left cheek here.

lol
    Great outfit of Pussy’s :x
    this purple outfit doesnt fit the regulation all gold colour scheme!

...in fact purple is opposite/complementary to gold!
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
    Toupee still in place after fight...
    That purple looks good against the golden-y browns and yellows of the barn interior.
    and this is how you save the world!
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Here's where the film-makers trump Fleming with a more plausible plot for the villain.

Which Maibaum is quick to congratulate himself for! :))
    Pussy's submission to Bond forcing herself on her... sparked controversy in times before the whole film passed into 'vintage' status anyway.
    I think Bond and Goldfinger have the coziest rapport out of any Bondvillains, they share a lot of dilaogs together throughout this film

Richard Maibaum saw this film as duel between Bond & Goldfinger, and wrote it as such.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
    Old Ironsides?
    Some more great acting, this time by all the soldiers :))
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Pussy's submission to Bond forcing herself on her... sparked controversy in times before the whole film passed into 'vintage' status anyway.

See post 334 above
    Anyone spotted MGW yet? I haven't!
    Barry's genius compensates for all that unconvincing collapsing by the military personnel.
    When did they flip all the cars and trucks??
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Barry's genius compensates for all that unconvincing collapsing by the military personnel.

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[]
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    I seem to remember those bombs are called Bangalore torpedos