AJB live commentary on Die Another Day

Comments

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Ugh, powering up a falling helicopter...nope, they’re very dead!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    The Moneypenny VR sequence- you either love or hate it!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:

And just because I’m a man who enjoys the arts, what was the name of this play and is there a recording?

Sorry, cn‘t tell you.
    But Barbel was there with an annual ticket :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Music “Going Down Together” on the OST. Very YOLT influenced. Covered by Nic Raine & Co.
    Higgins wrote:
    JTM wrote:

And just because I’m a man who enjoys the arts, what was the name of this play and is there a recording?

Sorry, cn‘t tell you.
    But Barbel was there with an annual ticket :D

And binoculars
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,800MI6 Agent
    A VR love scene soon to be followed by a love scene in a Buddhist temple

tenor.gif?itemid=5356725
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    Samantha Bond gets to do something interesting for what turned out to be her last appearance in the franchise... Cleese and Brosnan, too, though they wouldn't have known it.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Music inspired by YOLT

A disappointing last scene (and last half but that’s already established).
    Arnold now evokes Barry strongly. Tamahori actually wanted 'Mountains and Sunsets' from the YOLT soundtrack but Arnold refused and offered him something else very much in that mode.

Now onto Madonna's foot-tapping Dirty Vegas mix of her song.
    Higgins wrote:
    Music inspired by YOLT

Like I said above, Higgy! 8-)
    Well another one bites the dust! A fun rewatch—I didn’t dislike it as much as much as I remembered.
    So, I thought back to our discussion with TLD

Brosnan certainly had it!
    He played incredibly well when he was conflicted, desperate but always confident.

Comparing him next to Dalton in similar scenes is like comparing a boy to a man

Brosnan was not too old for another one - too bad that he could not do a fifth!

His acting in DAD is top notch!

Shady Tree wrote:

merkel.png
    In his dvd commentary over the end titles Brosnan speaks warmly about being Bond... but that was shortly after post-production and before he'd any idea that this one was going to turn out to be his last.
    JTM wrote:
    Well another one bites the dust! A fun rewatch—I didn’t dislike it as much as much as I remembered.

I agree. I‘ve really enjoyed it in many parts!

Barbel wrote:
    Shady Tree wrote:

merkel.png

Haha... I need to lie down!
    I have to agree with JTM and Higgijns.

This was a fun watch, and the film (while still having obvious weaknesses) wasn't as bad as (a) is often made out and (b) I remember it. Brosnan is just fine, Berry sucks, Stephens better than I remembered.
    Higgins wrote:
    So, I thought back to our discussion with TLD

Brosnan certainly had it!
    He played incredibly well when he was conflicted, desperate but always confident.

Comparing him next to Dalton in similar scenes is like comparing a boy to a man

Brosnan was not too old for another one - too bad that he could not do a fifth!

His acting in DAD is top notch!

Yes, Brosnan didn’t seem as old in this one as I remembered. Certainly could’ve done one more if it was done quick enough.
    But Rosamund Pike was gorgeous!
    Since my first viewing, I had a massive crush on her! Domino material!

Barbel wrote:
    I have to agree with JTM and Higgijns.

This was a fun watch, and the film (while still having obvious weaknesses) wasn't as bad as (a) is often made out and (b) I remember it. Brosnan is just fine, Berry sucks, Stephens better than I remembered.

Agreed on all counts.
    Thank you guys, for a fun evening. If I made lists, which I don't, DAD would have moved up. It's still the weakest Brosnan entry, though. Arnold's score is his worst, and and the overall sense is of missed opportunities.
    What were the thoughts on this when it came out back in ‘02? I know the CGI is something that hasn’t held up over the years but back on release, was it an issue?
    I think the movie had potential to be good, but too many bad ideas, bad CGI and bad editing ideas was its undoing. Especially in the last half. One of the worst entries.
    It wasn't so much of an issue. It was fairly well received.
    Probably the best comparison is with AVTAK, where an ageing Moore is pitted against much younger villains & leading ladies. Brosnan (just) hadn't entered that territory yet but it's still there. He does more than hold his own acting-wise and the flaws (CGI, FX, plot) aren't his doing- just like Moore in AVTAK.
    edited April 2020
    It was an enormous commercial success, but there were concerns at the time that CGI was inimical to the Bond ethos of doing it for real. One misjudged sequence, in particular - the digitised surfing - became the take-away focus of complaint and perhaps eclipsed, in a bad way, an awful lot of genuine and genuinely good stunt work elsewhere in the movie.

The Broccolis had wanted Apted again, but when MGM vetoed him and they got Tamahori instead, they backed many of his key decisions... including on CGI, perhaps against their better judgement.
    If they kept much of the structure but removed the worst, such as Madonna, the invisible car, the bad CGI, Robocop, the surfing in Iceland, self induced cardiac arrest, Jinx' lines and some more …… and replaced it with someting good DAD could have been a solid entry.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    It was an enormous commercial success, but there were concerns at the time that CGI was inimical to the Bond ethos of doing it for real. One misjudged sequence, in particular - the digitised surfing - became the take-away focus of complaint and perhaps eclipsed, in a bad way, an awful lot of genuine and genuinely good stunt work elsewhere in the movie.

The Broccolis had wanted Apted again, but when MGM vetoed him and they got Tamahori instead, they backed many of his key decisions... including on CGI, perhaps against their better judgement.

I wonder what we would have got with Apted.
    Number24 wrote:
    If they kept much of the structure but removed the worst, such as Madonna, the invisible car, the bad CGI, Robocop, the surfing in Iceland, self induced cardiac arrest, Jinx' lines and some more …… and replaced it with someting good DAD could have been a solid entry.

That's the sad thing. It wouldn't have taken much.