Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket Sizing HELP!

Hey everyone! I finally acquired a Barbour Beacon Sports jacket and it arrived yesterday. However, I’m afraid it might be too small. I am 5’10”, a 40” chest, and wear a size 31 in jeans. I usually am a medium in most pieces of clothing, and got the size medium in this jacket. When I put it on I originally thought it fit perfectly, but I can’t help but think it might be too small on me. The sleeves seem perfect, but the rest fits me pretty tight. I understand this is supposed to be a tailored fit, but I feel like it’s too tight. I only have 5 days to initiate a return, and I fear that if I get a size Large, the sleeves will be way too long. The sleeve length is perfect right now in a medium, although the armpits are quite tight, as are the shoulders. Here’s some pics of the jacket buttoned standing, sitting, 2 buttoned, 3 buttoned, and how high I can raise my arm.

Please hit me with any advice/thoughts! I have wanted this jacket since 2012 and just want it to fit right, though I’ve been self conscious anytime I put it on as I can only think it’s too tight.

Comments

• llvhhuillvhhui Posts: 81MI6 Agent

It's just not something you are supposed to layer anything underneath. At least that's how I understand it. The N Peal cashmere jumper is super thin and light weight and that's the only way you can pull it off. If it really bothers you or you plan on layering then go one size up.

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 125MI6 Agent

I have just the jumper on underneath (as shown in the pics) and it still possibly appears too tight to me. Was hoping someone with a similar body size could comment on what size they went with and how it fits them compared to how mine fits me! Thank you for your input

• otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent

Which version is this? There are so many now...

The fits are different between models, too, so that's something to bear in mind. I bought the newer Gold Standard Supra Commander in black, and it's much, much roomier than my original Beacon Heritage Tokito from 2012 or '13 (I think I got one of the second run they did where the bottom button was a little lower). The sleeves might be a little longer and the shoulders a little broader, as well. I bought it from someone on ebay and didn't feel like the hassle of returning it, so I soaked it and left it in my hot car, which shrunk it a little, but it's still much roomier than my original.

But as for that og one, I pretty quickly tore off a button while reaching through my car window one day while I had it buttoned. So I'd recommend sizing up, or going for a M in the Gold Standard version, or comparing the sizing between the other models.

Alternatively...

One of the services Barbour offers is "letting out" (they actually add material I believe) the chest/back.

Alternatively, they'll shorten sleeves too, but on these I don't think they move the elbow/forearm patches unless they absolutely have to (which they probably won't when you size up to a L). You could have a tailor do it I guess, but supposedly Barbour won't ever touch it for re-waxing/modifications in the future.

This is just listed as the “Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket”, the one on FarFetch. And thank you for your suggestion! I didn’t know Barbour added fabric to items for you!

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

I dig this fit in your pics, but obviously if you are uncomfortable, it's got to go as you want it to be something you are happy to put on without feeling self conscious. Sleeves are great (like you mention), so I wouldn't want them any longer (with the larger size). Good luck getting it sorted, whatever you choose.

...a brother from Sydney
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

Congrats on your purchase @coop5150 I did exactly the same thing before NTTD's release and purchased this jacket a couple of weeks ago. Like you I had wanted since 2012!

So, I'm a 37" chest, 31" waist and I went for the small. Pretty perfect fit. I wouldn't want it any smaller or larger. It was actually a bit larger than I thought it would be as it's quoted as being a "tailored fit" and "size up if from your normal size if you want more room etc". I'm always a Small in Barbour so I was surprised how much room I had in it. Layered with a jumper it's fine, perhaps too loose with just a t-shirt. But I do put that down to not having DC's arms and shoulders!

Bit of a rigmarole but you could always just send it back and order the large, then if that's too big, order the medium again. I ordered both the small and medium at the same time so just sent my medium back, as was way too big.

I assume you've studied meticulously all the pics of DC wearing the jacket in Skyfall? Even then it's not easy though as it appears tighter and looser in different pictures/situations.

Good luck with it.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I gave up on this jacket. The small was way too tight and on the medium the sleeves were too long. I ended up getting the Lutz which fits perfectly.

Yes. Considerably!

Yes I have studied the film jacket haha, and I think I am going to return the M and get a L, as you’re right, I can always just return it and get the M again. Thank you for sharing:)

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent

I am a similar build to you, 5'11' with a 41ish chest and 31ish waist, 170lbs. I have the most recent version of the jacket (purchased from END a month ago) and went with a Large and I am happy with the fit. The medium looks a little tight on you but not terrible. I would suggest trying out a large. It is an expensive jacket so you should be 100% happy with it! One thing is for sure the sleeves will be an inch or so too long with the large. I have mine cuffed back for now but plan to use Barbours tailoring service to have them shortened. I think the sleeves would be an easier fix than letting out the body of the jacket.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

Yes, just to add, the sleeves are slightly too long in my Small (I do have quite short arms), but when stretching, lifting and carrying the slightly longer length is quite practical as it doesn't leave your wrists exposed (bit like why Motorcycle jackets typically have a longer sleeve length). Better for the colder weather for sure.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Yeah I find the fit a little odd too. I tried all three sizes and the Large was too big on me; the Medium is a good fit but those armpits really are oddly high.

Just wait until you wear it out and about on a day that isn't freezing though: I've never sweated in a jacket as much! And yet not even felt all that warm. It's quite a bizarre thing

Thanks for everyone’s comments, you guys are all awesome. I think I’m gonna return it today for a L, and if anyone is interested, I can post pics here of the fit when it arrives. You guys rock, thanks for your help:)

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I'm pretty much exactly the same size as you (same chest and waist and just slightly taller) and I found the large too big; maybe get a large sent out and keep the medium so you can compare them and then send the one you don't want back.

edited October 2021

They've got two listings for what appears to be the same jacket (the two chest pockets on the one looks like some weird photoshop thing)

No idea why one is listed for twice as much as the other.

Here's a pretty deep dive one some of the different versions over the years:

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/updated-2020-comparing-barbour-beacon-heritage-x-ki-sports-jacket-and-barbour-beacon-heritage-sports

Doesn't look like they have the measurements listed for the Supa version, but I found these on my phone and I think they might be from my black one, pre-soak:

Arm: 26"

Shoulders: 18"

Chest buttoned: 22"

Waist two inches from pocket seam: about 20"

Bottom (measured at the back): 22.5"

I have another measurement on here that says "Zipper down back 30" that I think is referring to the length from the collar to the top of the game pocket's zipper but I'm not sure.

I got the one with the two pockets on the picture. If you scroll through the pictures, it only has one in the others. Not sure why they have that weird one in there.

• mynameisbond007mynameisbond007 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

Hi mate , I’ve got it in medium and it’s a bit big on me , I’m a 38’ chest, 5’10 and 31 in trousers so not sure if that helps or not , maybe I’ve just got short arms 😂

• llvhhuillvhhui Posts: 81MI6 Agent

I'm 5'9, 39 chest, 31 waist. Had both small and medium. Small was obviously too tight so I sold it and kept the medium. Only issue with the medium is that the sleeves are too long so I was planning to have sleeves shortened. Then the pandemic hit so you know how that went...

I haven’t measured my chest in quite a while, and I guess I’m now a 41” chest. I’ve started the return for the M, but I took different pics of measurements before packing it up.

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent

You made the right call. There was a little too much pulling at the buttons. I think you could have gotten away with it unbuttoned but, for the money, why compromise?

• DontCallMeJrDontCallMeJr Posts: 19MI6 Agent

I'm almost exactly your size. Have a Large on the way. Fingers crossed.

I’d love to see the measurements when it arrives! Maybe post pics/info on this thread so anyone who’s around our size can see?

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Honest question. After watching Skyfall again last night and much like everything worn by DC, the barbour jacket fits him absolutely perfect. Im talking from body, to the length,but then especially to the sleeves. Obviously this was tailored to the nines.

Now to the question, how do you think they tailored the sleeves of this jacket? It literally fits him perfect. This has kept me numerous times from getting certain articles of bond clothing especially this beautiful jacket bc I know they have the best tailors and I just cant seem to find anyone willing to tailor stuff to fit like they seem to do. I know off the rack stuff just isnt going to fit me that well. There are plenty of easily tailored items but with something as specific as how the sleeves are on this jacket does anyone have any idea?

my medium sleeves fit me absolutely perfect with no modifications, and if I could lose some weight I believe it would have fit me perfectly. Granted the new Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket are made tailored to fit like Craig’s, and the original X To Ki To jacket used in Skyfall wasn’t as slim originally, and as I don’t know Craig’s exact measurements, I can’t give you a real answer to that, other than find a size that fits you either perfectly, or is slightly too big, and find a tailor to do the job for you.

Not sure about that re: the measurements of the original vs. yours. Your measurements above seem pretty in-line with what I remember of my original.

edited October 2021

Not sure they tailored the sleeves. Doesn't really look like it to me, unless he's wearing a large, in which case I would have to wonder if they did it at the shoulders so as to not have to fuss with the trim and the elbow patch. Only thing I recollect having heard of them tailoring on this was letting the back or chest out. I could be wrong. I think TBE goes into it in this video:

https://youtu.be/MBwkoqe9-0E?t=421

Barbour will do that. They'll adjust the sleeves, too, but they're notorious for not moving the elbow patches unless they absolutely have to.

Any tailor that also does bespoke suiting should be able to handle it, though Barbour won't rewax it after that (though there are alternatives).

Edit:

One thing worth noting is that the game pocket on the back makes it rather difficult to take the waist in, as discussed towards the bottom here:

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/updated-2020-comparing-barbour-beacon-heritage-x-ki-sports-jacket-and-barbour-beacon-heritage-sports

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

It wasn’t tailored at all. It was a completely off the rack medium size. They only customised it by removing the hood and zip and a few buttons. Plus adding one button off the collar onto the inside to secure the flap. Apart from that they didn’t alter a thing regarding the jacket shape, length or cut. He wore a large for stunts where padding was needed. Again. No alterations.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Not that I'm doubting you, but can you source that information?

I'm wearing my Medium right now and caught myself in a reflective surface thinking "Huh, maybe he did wear a Large, because my shoulders are filling this up and they don't look so wide..." but then, I was also thinking previously he probably wore a medium. So I'm curious.