Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket Sizing HELP!

13»

Comments

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 125MI6 Agent

I reached out to them this morning, it looks like they do great work. Unfortunately, I’m in the U.S. and don’t think the shipping cost will be worth it. I returned my medium last year and got a large instead, and the sleeves are indeed too long. Does anyone here in the US recommend a tailor that has successfully altered their Barbour sleeve length while retaining the original leather cuff and elbow patches?

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

They relined it? I might be interested in that, thank you.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

Do owners of the Beacon find that the shoulder and chest area stretches with wear?

Yes. Considerably!
  • otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent

...And now I've lost my hood! 🤣

I moved twice these past 13 months. Really think it might be a goner. If anyone has one they're trying to get rid of, do let me know.

Very little. Less than denim. In my experience, you're more likely to tear a button than get much stretch.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

After buying the Lutz three years ago which is actually a lovely jacket I finally succumbed and bought the Beacon Sports in a sale. I have to say I’ve not experienced the condensation issue with either jacket. I was wearing the Beacon today when it was quite sunny and about 17 degrees. I was in and out of shops and walking a fair bit and all was fine. I was wearing a light merino jumper underneath.

Yes. Considerably!
  • cmdr_bongcmdr_bong AustraliaPosts: 202MI6 Agent

17C should be OK for a jacket like this, providing the ambient humidity level are low, and you are not doing anything too strenuous.

• BrotherJohnBrotherJohn Posts: 3MI6 Agent

I bought the Lutz because I couldn't afford the Beacon or whatever it was calling itself at the time, and have found it good, though a little short (5' 10', 40 chest, tubby round the middle...)

It's a slim/close fit so I wear it in with minimal jumperage etc. underneath.. I sweated profusely in it, so got my local tailor to remove the stupid lining (why, why is it there???) and its been fine since in all weathers. I don't wear it in the summer as its not really a summer jacket.

Am planning to get the Beacon, but unsure wether to risk a Medium and try and get it let out, or got for a Large which will fit but will be too long.

I was the same size as you when I posted pics of my medium, same height, chest, and a lil tubby in the middle. The medium made me a bit uncomfortable so I got the large and I’m about to send it to The Wax Jacket company that was recommended above. To remove/replace the lining in the sleeves, taper the sleeves, shorten the sleeves, and bring in the sides, it will cost £257 before shipping, £283.95 after shipping from the US. Bummer it costs this much to alter a jacket that was already $350+, but I hate how the sleeves/body fits in the large and won’t ever wear it unless I have it altered. The shoulders and chest fit me much better in the L than the M, although the M sleeves fit me perfectly.

Is this the Wax Jacket Company posting this? Or an actual user? Not sure how I didn’t catch this sooner.

• 00_Jona00_Jona Posts: 27MI6 Agent

Very late, but for future reference for anyone, I am 1.85, 39 chest roughly and 30 waist. A medium fits me fantastically well, here with the storm-clasp to get a clear view, but fits just as well when worn as a sports jacket (possibly better)

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Looks good @00_Jona Nice backdrop too!👍️

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • 00_Jona00_Jona Posts: 27MI6 Agent

@The Red Kind thank you my friend! Lovely spot in a national park in the Mexican state of Puebla. The Barbour performs wonderfully on a high altitude hike next, even next to that chilly waterfall!