Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket Sizing HELP!

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I have the entire screen used hero outfit. And I’ve seen quite a few of the ones he wore that are in various stages of wear, plus the Large’s marked ‘stunt’. Including the wet outfit he used with wetsuit underneath. All of the versions that he wears without protective padding are Mediums. A couple of the large versions had no lining in at all. These were used for the submerged scenes in the lake with wetsuit. Although there were Mediums he used in that scene too. Again, with the lining removed.

You have to remember that although DC is well proportioned and looks buff on screen, he is in fact very small.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

^^

RE: Very small. Is he about 5’10” and 180lbs?

Yes. Considerably!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Yeah, he’s not ‘very small’ 😊 . I’ve seen him a couple of times and he’s just an average-sized, if well-built, man. Roger Moore was built like cartoon character and felt just big in person, so he’s not unusual like that, but he’s not small.

Very cool to have a hero outfit though.

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 125MI6 Agent

We would love to see any pictures you have of the screen-used outfit that you have

Give me a couple of days as they’re buried at the bottom of a load of boxes.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I have the small and the medium* of the To Ki To, both screen accurized re: the hood and extra buttons, and I've had the sleeves altered on both. Any good tailor can do this.

*The small has a more screen accurate fit but the medium allows for more layers underneath. The body is about two inches longer than the small, which I wish wasn't the case.

• DontCallMeJrDontCallMeJr Posts: 19MI6 Agent

Sorry for the messy hair and all the cat toys. Just got home from work late and this shows up. It's a Large. I'm typically a medium. Probably could have gone smaller if I never put anything more than a T-shirt under it. BUT I plan to use it in Colorado winters. So the Large was I think a better fit in the end.

• otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent

The length looks good. And yeah, a little extra room for layering with these isn't a bad idea.

Never apologize for cat toys.

Oh.

Well that's awesome!

It has an extra button inside to secure the flap that the original did not? Interesting. Yeah, I've only got the button on the inside right to secure the flap. Did they add one to the left, or do you mean they added another button to the right so it'd stay extra secure?

It’s on the inside left to secure the flap back and inside the coat. Almost under the armpit. You don’t see the flap in the film being used for that reason. And I guess that’s why subsequent editions don’t have the flap at all.

I’ll post pics up tomorrow.

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Has anyone done the tailoring by Barbour themselves since they do offer it? Struggling to find info on that

edited October 2021

Taken to PM. No. Not for sale.

• otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent

There is that one scene where he's in front of the mirror and you kind of see it, if I remember correctly.

• I have a a size large that still has the tags attached, brand new and never worn if anyone wants it.

Pricing is all over the place for this jacket, Barbour sells it for around $700 and I saw it on farfetch for $1,150, haha

I'll let it go for what I paid. $375.

edited November 2021

I just got back from a walk in the hills of Surrey in mine: it kept me warm enough all day if not completely toasty- I took it off to get in the car and: the inside was absolutely dripping wet in sweat again! 🤣 I never felt hot or stifled all day; it's such a weird jacket.

It might even just be condensation, I'm not even sure.

I wore mine all yesterday shooting. Didn’t have one problem with it, and I usually do. So much so I turn it inside out when I get home. I think it’s down to the under layer. If I wear a decent quality wool sweater underneath, it’s fine. If I don’t. It’s like I hosed the inside down. Especially the arms.

• kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

Just before COVID hit I reached out to Barbour about what they could do about the plastic inner lining that traps the moisture. They would only remove it from the sleeves. But not the body.

I must say it stops me from using the jacket as much as I want to.

I also have to turn it inside out when coming home to let it dry out.

edited November 2021

I had a nice quality wool jumper on but I think it depends on how active you are (I was walking up and down hills as opposed to standing and shooting) and maybe the air temperature as well if it is condensation, mind you it does it on warmer days too so I assume it's just coming from me!

I think if they removed the lining it would be even colder, because it's not a very warm jacket (even though it seems to make you sweat!)- and not even really that effective as a water resistant one. I think I should probably just stick with my goose feather jackets- they seem to have a much greater range of temperatures you can wear them in, even reasonably mild.

I think if you ever buy a second hand one from someone then you'd want to spray the inside with some enzyme spray or something to get their sweat out of it! 😁

I was very active. It wasn’t a stationary shoot and it was over varying terrain carrying a very heavy rifle. But again, it depends so much on weather conditions. It was quite cold, but any direct sunlight would have caused problems. Although I was inside for quite a time at the end with no problems either. This was an older jacket with cotton lined sleeves. I wore my newer one last week with just a polo shirt underneath. When I took it off, the insides of the nylon lined arms were drenched so much I had to wipe my hands on my trousers.

If I bought a second hand one, I’d turn it inside out and shower it down, NikWax tech wash spray it, then hose it down again. A lot 🤣. I’ve done that with an old Lutz that started to honk and it worked very well.

I’ve wanted this jacket for a really long time, but I have to admit for a $700+ jacket this is kind of disappointing and also slightly terrifies me to buy used now. For those that are getting the condensation and/or sweat, what type of climate are you wearing it in? Is this maybe a jacket for more almost not quite extreme but pretty cold temperatures exclusively? I don’t exactly live in the Arctic so I’m beginning to wonder if it’s just more suited specifically for colder climates? If the sweating is still occurring during colder climates this is a bit confusing.

Aesthetically I love the look of it, but would be a little bummed out if I would only be able to wear it for like one month out of the year. Would love some honest feedback from owners of the jacket.

• kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

I own the jacket and only use it in fall / winter.

The sweating is from the plastic lining. Someone described it as like wearing a plastic bag. Your body naturally breathes and the lining traps the moisture.

I live in London so from walking, going up and down stairs for the tube etc all causes the effect. It’s not that I’m doing anything strenuous.

Honest recommendation is maybe get something else. Just my opinion. Shame as I love the look of the jacket.

edited November 2021

It was about 9-11 degrees Celsius yesterday. So not very very cold climates. The open neck and button up front make it less than great for freezing temperatures unless you are quite active. I’d recommend you going for it. Even second hand. It’s not like it’s direct body sweat, it’s evaporated, so mostly just water. Cleaning is easy. A quick inside out wash down, dry and febreeze spray after would be more than fine.

Oh, and wearing it, you aren’t actually hot and dripping with sweat. It just retains the natural condensation your body releases during the day. If it gets warm, or are in direct sunlight, then you have to take it off, then you will sweat.

Wearing 100% wool underneath aids in wicking the moisture, and even when damp or wet, will still be warm. And thick wool sweaters will also retain that moisture far more and hold it in the fibres rather than it collecting inside the jacket. When you take the jacket off, the wool helps that moisture evaporate very quickly without you even noticing it. I find thick ribbed wool sweaters work better than the thin type Bond wears in the film.

edited November 2021

Yeah I think you must be right: it's the lining trapping normal moisture rather than making you sweat (it feels like it can't be sweat because it's never very warm to wear!)- much like condensation on a window.

I like the look of it too but I have so many other outdoor jackets which are both actually warm and genuinely waterproof, good against the wind and don't leave me wet that I would take with me as a first choice if I were going away somewhere. But it's nice to wear for an afternoon if the conditions outside are perfect.

Thank you for the honest feedback. Plastic lining is a tad of a head scratcher. I always assumed they would have used something more like the plaid/flannel type Belstaff uses in most of theirs.

Thank you guys this feedback is extremely helpful. Im curious about what barbour could do but im not looking to spend twice as much on replacing lining etc., just a really curious choice as to why they did that. I love the wool underneath idea.

Side note:

Just spoke to Barbour and looking at a minimum 8 week turnaround for just shortening sleeves and $75. I get that its got the leather at the end but that did surprise me a bit.

Kinda insane but figured I’d put it out there for anyone else interested in the whole tailoring of the jacket.

• LuisGuiLuisGui Posts: 3MI6 Agent

Well... let me share my experience. I´m 5´7 tall (better short)! I just received my Beacon Sports Jacket size S! I believe it is a super slim fit jacket compared to other jackets I have, mostly suits! If I compare it to another jacket from other brand I have (also size S), it feels almost the same in the chest and armpits! I think the problem is the armpits, which I found to high!

I wore it almost all day and it started to feel a little bit looser than it was the first time I tried it! I think it will get better with time! Or at least I hope so, because I think that a M size would have the sleeves to long for me!

• redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent

All of the small ones on the collar and top of the coat EXCEPT for the small very top fastening button and the one that holds the small tab down.

• redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent

Cheers ;)

Interesting to know DC took an unmodded medium. I usually find myself going 1-2 sizes down from him, but I feel like I'm a S-M in the sky fall barbour.

• waxjacketwaxjacket Posts: 1MI6 Agent

I have just had my jackets cleaned re waxed and re sized by The Wax Jacket Cleaning Company they are on instagram under waxjacketcleaning amazing job They shortened the sleeves retaining leather cuff detail and I've had diamond shaped inserts so it gives me more movement inserts have been put in the arm and side colour matching to the original wax cotton

also it relined removing the plastic lining for breathable cotton

such an amazing job