Bond26 Wishlist

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

Ah re the office staff, the same way that Judi Dench played two different Ms. Its clear Barbera Mawdsley (Brosnan M) and Olivia Mansfield (Craig era M) are not the same woman. At leaat to me.

A new Bond will have to be another re-reboot. But that is no reason to dump the office actors. Just alter their backstories or relationship with Bond to fit the new format.

Other wishes.....

New real world locations.

No serialised stories. That just did not work.

Gadgets were always popular. Bring them back.

Realistic character ambitions.

Keep an Aston, but dump the designer label wardrobe and accessories. Make Bond grounded, not a fashion model for the uber wealthy.

Drop CGI in favour of traditional effects. Especially in action and stunt sequences.

Make casting count. - Dave Batusta was great casting, yet they barely used him. By contrast, Harold Sakata and Richard Keil made an impact as Oddjob and Jaws.

We need a new baddas bitch baddie. Its been far too long since we had an Electra King or Xenia Onnatop type character. The wonderful Gwendoline Christie springs to mind immediately.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

M was (maybe) a different M in CR from in DAD, but they were stretching the remake formula there. But in NTTD Bond died and you're talking of keeping all of the MI6 regulars. Then it's no longer stretching belivability, it's just code number theory.

I agree on most of your other wishes, but I don't belive in dropping CGI completely. Use it rarely and effectively to support real action. You have a point about the luxury brands, but I like that aspect of Bond movies.

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Pardon me, friends, for dropping in without having read all the comments in this tread. Please feel free to trash me if my very simple (and perhaps simple-minded) suggestion has already been made. In light of recent events, I think it might be interesting to have the next Bond film focused on a threat that is specific to the UK (as opposed to worldwide peril), and call it “For King and Country”. Just a thought from a know nothing American!

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff

Nice to see you, BL! 🙂

Hi, BL. "For king and country" has been suggested, but not a threat to Britain in particular. Should work.

Hey 24! I hope all is well. Thanks for the heads up. I should have read through all the comments first.

That's a lot of "work". I'm more interested in hearing your unfiltered opinions.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

I would say there's no chance at all of that; they're more likely to hire a director and writer first I would guess. I don't think they're any way into an audition process and they've said they're looking at villains' plans at the moment, which will shape where they go with the film and Bond himself, so we're a long way off getting an actor. So I think I'd say don't get your hopes up! 😊

IFP are announcing something on the day though; hopefully something new rather than just the second Sherwood book.

I live in hope. 🙂

Barbel also believes there's still hope for a Beatles re-union. 😁

Optimism always!

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

Nothing wrong with that! 😊 Michael and Barbara: you've got about a week and half - best get a wriggle on!

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

No Henry Cavill as Bond. He's Superman, not Bond, and no matter how many times he plays Napoleon Solo, or MI agents, I could never see him as Bond. Sorry.

edited January 14

Bond thinking outside of the box, especially using old technology in a modern world, is something I like. I imagine Bond waiting for information from far away, but the villain has access to most electronic communication. 007 is told there's no way the message isn't intercepted, but Bond just walks over to a post box and picks up an old-fashioned paper letter from his ally.

edited November 2022

I think Vilde would be a great first name for a Bond girl. It's a fairly common name in Scandinavia (especially the longest one) and it looks like "wilde". The name comes from a Norse name meaning "Elf" and "combat".

• Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent

I think a 2020s update of the Brosnan era movies, but more coherent and more immersive like most of the Craig movies.

Have villainous locations be to used more and left to breath (like the SPECTRE run Cuban hotel and Safin's island lair).

'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
    edited November 2022

I'm not sure I should post this on the wish list thread because I don't listen to her much, but isn't Taylor Swift starting to look like a very likely title songs artist by now? She's signed on for Universal and that company will distribute Bond26. Now her new album is breaking records holding every place on Billboard Top 10.

• boundjamesboundboundjamesbound Posts: 10MI6 Agent

I'd like for Statham to get a role, long overdue.

• M.lucaM.luca Posts: 16MI6 Agent

Hey there, I would add my suggestion , don’t know if it has already come up, in such case sorry, but why not making a reboot that takes place in the same years Fleming’s books came up?

Ciao

(Ignore the quote above. Not because I think it's bad or anything. It's just there and I can't remove it.)

I was thinking what the safest commercial choices EON can make are. I'd say it's Christopher Nolan as the director, Henry Cavill as Bond and Taylor Swift to sing the title song. Personally I think that would probably result in a good and successful James Bond movie, but I hope and expect the producers to take more chances than that.

edited August 2023

I'd like to see more spycraft in the Bond movies. The age when an agent could look under the phone or the shades over the light bulbs are over, but I still want to see 007 sweeping his hotel room for bugs. Imagine Bond entering his new room. He takes out his phone and starts the app that searches for available aps (or possibly starts a search for available wi-fi networks). Then he hangs up his suit, opens his luggage etc. He returns to his mobile phone and sees two devices/wi-fi available. The room has two bugs. Then he could ask for a new room or start another app that scrambles the bugs. A short scene, but it would be very Bond.

• Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent

My big wish list item is - back to the classics. I want a suave Bond, funny little one-liners, one night stands, and classic drinks. I just miss classic Bond like in the novels.

1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
    edited January 2023

Calvin Dyson brings up some important questions about Tom Cruise, MI and the future of James Bond:

Does James Bond Have A Tom Cruise Problem? - YouTube

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I wasn't entirely certain what the question he's raising is. Something to do with authenticity, I think. He touches very briefly on the trailers - Bond of Craig emphasising character, MI emphasising action - and he's right about that and the manner the promos reflect the movies so closely. The MI franchise is uneven IMO, but they do keep things moving fast and furious which OO7 hasn't since CR and QOS. While Brosnan isn't a fav Bond of mine, I'd never struggle to be entertained, unlike the last three of Craig's. I really do feel any "reinvention" needs to focus on energy and vigour and exotica rather than character development, which in a franchise as long as Bond isn't necessary any more, certainly not in such depth as we've had recently.

I think his point is that MI has been taking over the throne from Bond when it comes to fun and groundbreaking stunts, put Bond is still the best when it comes to character. I agree. Bond should step up when it comes to stunts even though the new actor doesn't have to do them all. I also think the audience (and myself) is ready for more fun in James Bond movies. Not Roger Moore level, but closer to Brosnan.

• jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent

Just give it to Nolan and let him write and direct a trilogy in IMAX with Tom Hardy, complete with jaw dropping pre title sequences featuring practical aerial stunts. Come on Eon, it’s seriously a no brainer.

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    edited February 2023

Personally, I can't see them swaying too far from the current formula a great deal.

Apart from the die hard fans (us who join forums to discuss and debate such matters) the joe bloggs public, general cinema-goer loved Craigs Bond, his trials and tribulations along with the complicated messy back history that dictated the story line over his tenure (largely evident by ticket sales and general positive media coverage).

I think they'll be keen to continue to avoid the excessive cheesyness of the previous Bonds dodgy one-liners (Brosnan I'm looking at you).

The next Actor who plays Bond will likely want to do what Craig did and do something different and unique. So my opinion on the next Bond is;

There will be a smaller personal story mixed in that will span multiple movies. A love interest or nemesis this will give stability to the actor playing the character and the franchise.

He will continue to be a more realistic Bond. rough, hard, edgy, aggressive...real and relatable in some way. This has proved (in my mind) to help create a better Bond movie, than the almost very aged sci-fi versions of previous.

But, I think they'll bring a few more gadgets back in and have a bit more of a playful, humorous Bond (sans the cheesy one-liners).

I would like to see more exotic locations (less Grimy, grey London), some diving/submarine espoionage.

I have a feeling the characters/actors who remain (hopefully Q, MoneyPenny, M) around Bond will have more of an impact in the first movie to settle him in.

Exciting either way, and yes I am a Craig fan so I would personally like to see that style continue.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

I just watched the new FAST X trailer, and I think in that franchise and the Mission: Impossible franchise you're sort of seeing the bastard sons of 007. With Cruise's M:I films, the series seems to constantly be asking and answering the question "What if the crazy stuff in the old Bond movies were done by the star for real?" That's the secret sauce - what Cruise is doing isn't really any crazier than what Rick Sylvester or Jake Lombard did in their day, it's just the novelty that the star is doing it (and the filmmaking technology allowing us to see that has greatly improved).

Whereas the Fast/Furious franchise's question seems to be "Yeah, the stunts in the old Bond movies are all over the top and done by doubles... but what if they were even more ridiculous?" And "ridiculous" is not a dirty word here - the secret is that they're unembarrassed about it.

Look at this trailer which, aside from the sentimentality that is weirdly borrowing a bit from NTTD, feels more of a piece with the path that Moore/Brosnan were headed down. A few clicks over from reality, something the Craig era seemed reluctant to fully commit to. Maybe it's where the franchise needs to go next, action-wise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32RAq6JzY-w

edited March 2023

Many, especially in the media, talk about casting a "female James Bond". I feel this would be a disservice to both the James Bond character and feminism. A far better idea would be writing an original or finding a book series about a female spy and making a quality movie series about her. Build this series around a talented actress such as Margot Robbie, Zendaya, Anja Taylor-Joy or Jennifer Lawrence. Red Sparrow was in my opinion a valiant effort, but it was more a dark spy thriller than an spy action movie. Make more of an espionage action franchise and make it with more money, and it would be better for both James Bond and women.