I see NTTD managed five nominations from the long list:

Outstanding British Film

Cinematography

Film Editing

Sound Recording

Visual Effects

2022 EE British Academy Film Awards: Nominations | BAFTA

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent

what does "Outstanding British Film" mean? is that different from Best Film?

otherwise its all technical awards, usually far down the list from the big awards that make headlines.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

You're not wrong that cinematography doesn't make headlines, but inside the business, it's top tier. Lots of directors (I'm thinking especially of actors who've newly taken on the role) have ridden the coattails of their cinematographers to awards success.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Cinematography is indeed a big deal and great cinematographers can make a good film even better.

I'm not sure about the "Outstanding British Film" nod, either. Like Caractacus, I'm not sure what differentiates Outstanding British Film from Best Film either although as the former has 10 entries, I feel it's likely less esteemed, but I don't know.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

(and Renate Reinsve is nomineated for Best Actress and her movie "The worst person in the world" for Best movie not in the English language 😊)

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Disappointed that she didn't get nominated for Best Person in the World for Best Person in the World 😊

edited February 2022

It does look a bit awkward when she gets interviewed and right behind her is a big standee saying "The worst person in the world" 🤣

edited February 2022

I mean ... the poster alone must be a booster for her self-esteem,

(I'm done hijacking the thread now ...)

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

To answer the question posed about Best British Film, is is what it says on the tin, a film

must have significant creative involvement by individuals who are British, including persons who have been permanently resident in the UK for ten years or more.

However, these must include either the film's director, writer and producer. If none of these fulfil the above criteria a film cannot be judged in this category, except of course by an apparent catch all phrase "exceptional circumstances."

As with most of these Academies, there's a lot of flexibility. It also gives rise to oddities like the Welsh language movie a few years back (I forget the title) which was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Outstanding British Film. Best Film of the Year can be any language, any country as long as it was released for the cinema somewhere in the UK in the previous calendar year.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

chris sez:

To answer the question posed about Best British Film, is is what it says on the tin, a film

must have significant creative involvement by individuals who are British, including persons who have been permanently resident in the UK for ten years or more.

However, these must include either the film's director, writer and producer. If none of these fulfil the above criteria a film cannot be judged in this category, except of course by an apparent catch all phrase "exceptional circumstances."

sounds like our CanCon requirements, which tend to encourage mediocrity filling the CBC's schedule while ignoring successful Canadian talent . Many Canadian culture snobs would never acknowledge the success of, say, Pamela Anderson or that director who made both Titanic and Avatar because theyre good enough to find work in Hollywood. And also not qualifying as CanCon is all the Hollywood film production that happens in Toronto and Vancouver employing thousands of local technicians behind the scenes. There was once the incident of a Bryan Adams song being denied CancCon status because he employed too many American collaborators.

EDIT: for example, would one of Hitchcock's American films qualify for this Outstanding British Film award? what if Cary Grant starred?

Hitchcock's American films wouldn't have qualified as I suggest there wasn't significant creative involvement through the whole process, although how this would be measured is anyone's guess. While Hitchcock movies are essentially always a Hitchcock movie, they do feel very American, in setting and in outlook.

If you take Lawrence of Arabia as an alternative, though financed and produced majorly by Americans, but directed by, written by, starring mostly, and developed, designed, filmed, costumed, etc, mostly by Brits, you can see how an 'international movie' can become a British product. Lawrence of Arabia isn't an American film despite the finance and most of the profit heading that way. This may sound odd, but it doesn't 'feel' like an American film. Back to those 'exceptional circumstances' again.

The award's been around since BAFTA kicked off in the '40s, a time when a Best British award was probably required.

edited February 2022

And in the Oscars, the Academy gave NTTD three nods:

Visual Effects

Sound Recording

Original Song

2022 | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

On a Bond related note, Judi Dench chalked up another nomination - her eighth - for Belfast.

On a general note, the Academy voters like The Power of the Dog, Dune and Belfast; the Japanese film Drive My Car has a lot of nominations. Both Olivia Coleman and Kenneth Branagh (as director) picked up the citations they didn't get for the BAFTAs. A sympathy vote from the Oscars? Hmm.

Great! Javier Bardem is also nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role.

Best Original Song!!!

No Time to Die was the only film I saw last year, so I'm not qualified to compare. But even if Craig for example was not the best actor out of all the actors in 2021 (does anyone believe he was the best?), surely his acting performance in this film was better than that song! Definitely Fukunaga's direction was better than that song.

maybe there was just no good original songs in 2021 to compete? or maybe Billie is hipper than the film and the Academy likes her?

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Every film has direction; few films have an original song. So yeah, the field is much narrower.

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

What about Rising Star Award for Lashana? Does that make six BAFTA nominations?

No. If you read the nominations, NTTD is not listed, only Lashana Lynch. It is a recognition award for personal achievement and increasing a high profile for a newcomer or relative unknown across the industry; Lashana also stared in EAR FOR EYE during 2021 and has been 'on the up' for a few years now since TV's Bulletproof in 2018. This is not a nomination for any particular individual performance in a movie.

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

OK Chrisno. Thanks for clarifying.

edited March 2022

apparently Shirley Bassey performed Diamonds are Forever as part of a salute to the series 60th anniversary at these BAFTAs

if anybody finds a clip we can watch, please post the link or better yet embed it

best I found so far is this Hollywood Reporter article

Dame Shirley Bassey has raised the curtain on the 75th BAFTA Awards with a rendition of classic Bond theme “Diamonds Are Forever.”

The iconic Welsh singer — forever entwined with 007 having famously soundtracked several films throughout her career — helped kick off proceedings in style at the Royal Albert Hall in London while also celebrating the 60th anniversary of the film franchise, with the first-ever installment Dr. No having been released in 1962. The latest Bond movie, No Time to Die, has five BAFTA nominations this year, including for outstanding British film, while the entire franchise has amassed 32 nominations in total, winning four to date.

hella slow loading website, no video there, and I've copied and pasted all the relevant text. but thats my citation.

thanks @Gymkata thats one of my favourite of all Bond songs (You Only Live Twice being its main rival)

the orchestra's too ponderous for my taste, not getting the twinkling effrct which is the main hook of the song.

and poor Bassey can no longer belt out those high notes, its a bit sad when she indicates with her hand where the high note should go and instead sings something lower.

but even when she's missing those notes, she's demonstrating more range than was ever dared by certain more recent BondSong performers I could name

edited March 2022

Congratulations to Tom Cross and Eliot Graham for winning Best Editing for No Time To Die at the Baftas last night.

Lasanya Lynch also picked up the award for outstanding newcomer for her cinema work in 2021.

eighty five! now that you mention it, the math of course makes sense, and therefor that is an incredible performance.

Many rockstars start failing to hit the high notes in their forties by comparison

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

Just watched that performance of 'Diamonds Are Forever'.

Priceless. That right there is why I'm a Bond fan.

Of course, it doesn't quite match the exquisite perfection of the original recording, but it's the sense of occasion and celebration that matter.

Speaking as an amateur when it comes to all things musical, it seems to my ear, at least, that at different points the song 'No Time To Die' is a deconstruction of the more complex 'Diamonds Are Forever', so the choice of 'Diamonds' seems right for the ceremony.

As for NTTD: whatever the merits of the film and the range of nominations it garnered, it's a film which deserves recognition if only for its outstanding contribution in drawing audiences back into cinemas.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Shady, I'd give you that...

• MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

In stark contrast to Sam Smith's Oscar performance of Writing on the Wall. That was so bad I am sure Academy voters were ruing their choice. It made me miss Rob Lowe singing to Snow White.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,316Chief of Staff

I've just watched the Oscar version of NTTD and I think it might have been lip-synched. Not 100% sure but I'm not going to watch it again.

Will Smith, on the other hand, I've watched 3 times! 😂

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

Good on them. Apparently Billie Eilish actually goes down in Oscar history as the first winner to have been born in the 21st Century! 😊

Congratualtions to NTTD! I have to admit I'm mainly disapointed "The worst person in the world" didn't get an award and also that Renate Reinsve wasn't even nominated for Best Actress. I'm telling you: If you don't like romantic comedies but you are compelled to take someone to one - "The worst person in the world" is the way to go!