BAFTAS and OSCARS

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff

Apparently the authorities weren't sure that it really was Will Smith last night. Then they found fresh prints.

• MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

Nice 60th Anniversary homage reel, btw, set to Sir Paul's Live and Let Die. And congrats to the Eilish siblings for their win (although in my opinion only Adele's SF will stand the test of time).

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

yes yes we all know theres video of Smith punching Rock, it was first item on on the morning news before Ukraine

but...

if anyone finds video of Billie singing No Time to Die with "100% more ooomph" could you post a link or embed please?

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

thanks boss

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

What about the annoucement of the next Bond actor ? Some journalists said a couple of months ago it was supposed to occur after the ceremony. Are we going to learn something in the next few days or was it complete bullshit ?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

I want to comment on the incident with Will Smith at the Oscars. It would be interesting to know a couple of things about the background. Was Smith's wife illness generally known or didn't Chris Rock know? Is Jada Pinket Smith's illness serious or is the main sympthom hair loss? if JPS has an illness that's a serious threath to her health and "everyone" knew it I'm not so sure about what I'm about to write.

These things matter, but generally I'm not impressed by Will Smith. I think there's a limit when going on stage and slapping someone can be defended, but so far it doesn't look like that line was crossed last night. It's also a matter what signals he sends when he goes on stage in front of the world and uses (mild) voilence because he feels offended. Does this mean it's okay if someone from the audience jumps on stage and attacks a stand-up comedian if they aren't famous? Is it okay if a pupil hits a teacher if he gets offended by somethingthe teacher said about his girlfriend? I suspect many feel it must be okay if Will Smith did it, who's a role model for many.

Another aspect of this is forcus. A lot of very talented professionals worked incredibly making the movies that wer celebrated last night but that's not what's getting the headlines today because of Will Smith's actions. This includes Smith himself. Last night was supposed to be his big triumph as an actor, but that will forever be overshadowed by that slap.

I've checked it now. Jada Pinkett Smith suffers from an illness called allopecia and the only sympthom is hair loss. I understand that hair loss can be difficult for many, perhaps particularely for women. I still think will Smith went to far last night.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, Will Smith had waited until Chris Rock was off stage (and out of the camera) before walking up and hitting him? That would have changed matters, but how much? At the very least, it would have left things more open to dispute.

Assuming nobody witnessed it (highly unlikely), then it would only be allegations rather than an undeniable incident watched millions of times round the world.

Again for the sake of argument, I'd say there are many men who would punch a comedian making jokes about their wife's appearance. Let's say, the comedian says something like "Hey man, your wife is ugly" then he can confidently expect a punch in the face from the lady's husband. This incident isn't quite so clear cut but it's in the ballpark.

My two cents-

The Academy would be quite within its rights to stop both Will and Chris from attending further ceremonies, but Will should certainly keep his Oscar. The fuss this has caused has diverted attention away from where they would want it, although at the same time has generated more attention than the Oscars ceremony has had in years. However, Will Smith has been a very solid box-office attraction for many years and given many excellent performances- I haven't seen "King Richard" but have little doubt that his performance was Oscar-worthy based on his track record and what I've been reading.

Oh, and one more thing. This

Is going to be an Internet meme for years to come, standing alongside

and

edited March 2022

in the leadup to these Oscars people were saying the institution was out of date, too many films audiences hadnt seen, too many obscure technical awards.

No theyve discovered a new way to get people talking about this stodgy old ritual, I bet many more people will tune in next year in the hopes of seeing next years punch-up, and the organisers will have to provide something sort of similar but even more spectacular. They should probably get Jerry Springer to organise future Oscars ceremonies, his show was good at this sort of thing.

I haven't seen "King Richard" yet, but I'm sure Will Smith has deserved his Oscar. Bu tI understand last year's winner often presents an Oscar to the new winner. It would be apropriate if someone else hands over the statuette next year. PErhaps the accademy could just let Smith's invitation to next year's cermony get "lost in the mail".

I think Chris Rock's joke didn't cross any red line and he handled the situation professionally.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

Yeah I think it's a nasty cheap, cruel joke made at someone else's expense; I'm sure her condition has been very upsetting for her, as it is for many people.

I don't think it's okay for someone to have given him a slap over it, but as you say: he should still have been expecting one regardless.

edited March 2022

Chris Rock compared her to an action hero. is that so cruel? And it wasn't like she tried to hide her bald head. Pinkett Smith could have chosen to wear a wig, When a famous woman turns up at the Oscars with a shaved head one assumes she's making a statement and I don't see how a positive comment on her appearance works agains that.

edited March 2022

Will Smith now says he regrets what he did and he feels ashamed. He writes on Instagram that this behavioir was "unacceptable and inexusable".

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

Is this still a James Bond thread??

It's what the title says, though you're quite right in that we've drifted from the song to the undeniable major news story of the event.

Does anyone feel this thread should be moved to Off Topic?

edited March 2022

He really wasn't complementing her. Please never laugh at a person’s illness.

Here's a blog post from Alopecia UK which should help to explain how hurtful that can be: https://www.alopecia.org.uk/blog/responding-to-the-events-from-the-2022-oscars

Anyway, Bond-wise this is the first time three Bond films in a row have won Oscars.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Will Smith is a hypocrite. He initially laughed at the joke!

I’ve lost a lot of respect for him frankly - his apology also comes across as forced and insincere. His son is also a nob, “This is how we do it” indeed…

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Don't invite Will Smith to next year's Oscar cermony!

If Rock complemented JPS is perhaps a matter of opinion depending on how you felt about GI Jane, but I think it was a positiv joke.

I too think this thread could be movies to Off Topic.

Okay, I'll move this there later today to give a period of warning.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

My two cents worth; The slap was too far as was the language used from his seat afterwards. But Chris Rock's joke was inappropriate and not even funny.

I think Will Smith could still have gone up on stage but quietly spoken to Chris Rock discretely advising that was an unacceptable, insensitive and misjudged joke and you should apologise. Of course, emotions can make us all do things we shouldn't and regret in the heat of the moment, especially when a loved one is directly affected and visibly upset.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited March 2022

I'm not sure the joke was inapropriate, but it wasn't a good joke. I also agree on how the situation should've been handled. This Oscar cermony will be remembered as the time Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on the stage. It won't be remembered as the time Smith for his Best Actor Oscars and it won't be remembered for when some actors reminded us that there are things that are really worth fighting for.

barbel said:

Does anyone feel this thread should be moved to Off Topic?

yes, please.

maybe start a new thread if anybody wants to talks about Bond films nominated for awards or Billie Eilish performing her song