New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent
    I meant of those discussed here. Obviously.
  • jon_1ukjon_1uk Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    "some men are coming to kill us, we're going to kill them first"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    jon_1uk wrote:

Nothing to see here. Just a clickbait story.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Agreed. Hardy, while an enjoyable actor, is too old to start the role now at 43, and I just don't see him playing Bond. And at 5'9" he's even shorter than Craig... :#
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff
    Agreed. Hardy, while an enjoyable actor, is too old to start the role now at 43, and I just don't see him playing Bond. And at 5'9" he's even shorter than Craig... :#

Hardy would be my pick...he has amazing screen presence and Nolan would (probably) want to work with him...could easily knock out three Bond pictures with Hardy...obviously Eon would need a slightly quicker turnaround than they’ve done with DC :)) don’t understand why people get SO fixated on height ?:)
    YNWA 97
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent
    Can’t see it myself. He’s 43 now and I can’t believe they would have made a decision yet as no one knows how all this is going to turn out.
    Yes. Considerably!
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Hardy would be my pick...he has amazing screen presence and Nolan would (probably) want to work with him...could easily knock out three Bond pictures with Hardy...obviously Eon would need a slightly quicker turnaround than they’ve done with DC :)) don’t understand why people get SO fixated on height ?:)

Bond needs to convey presence and gravitas just by walking into a room. Hardy could do that all day long, but not just by walking into a room or seen from a distance. Besides he cannot run the risk (as Daniel has done) of being eclipsed by his female co star. The 'optics' would just be wrong.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Bond needs to convey presence and gravitas just by walking into a room. Hardy could do that all day long, but not just by walking into a room or seen from a distance. Besides he cannot run the risk (as Daniel has done) of being eclipsed by his female co star. The 'optics' would just be wrong.

I’ve seen people over 7 feet tall walk into a room and hardly anyone noticed...height has nothing to do with ‘presence’...obviously I’m not advocating that Ronnie Corbett could have played Bond but I just don’t understand people’s fixation that Bond MUST be over 6 foot tall ?:)
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Bond doesn't have to be over six feet tall, but it makes things easier and it gives the filmmaker more options. If Eon wanted to cast an actress like Famke Janssen (5' 11 1/2'') they would have to cast someone else or spend time and energy on tricks to hide the fact that she is taller. I'm convinced a range of good actors and actress have been ditched from Mission Impossible because they are too tall compared to Tom Cruise.

Height doesn't give you presence on its own, but it helps if you already have some presence.
    Number24 wrote:
    Bond doesn't have to be over six feet tall, but it makes things easier and it gives the filmmaker more options. If Eon wanted to cast an actress like Famke Janssen (5' 11 1/2'') they would have to cast someone else or spend time and energy on tricks to hide the fact that she is taller. I'm convinced a range of good actors and actress have been ditched from Mission Impossible because they are too tall compared to Tom Cruise.

Height doesn't give you presence on its own, but it helps if you already have some presence.

Why would Eon HAVE to cast another actress? ?:)

Is there a rule that a woman can’t be taller than a man? :))
    YNWA 97
    There is a tradition/rule not to have the women being (or att least be shown to be) taller than the hero. My point is that casting a lead actor who isn't tall limits the number of actresses they will cast because casting tall actresses is at best difficult in that situation.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Can anyone name an action movie where the leading lady is taller than the hero and no attempt is made to hide it?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    popeyeoliveoyl-cartoon2.jpg
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Can anyone name an action movie where the leading lady is taller than the hero and no attempt is made to hide it?

Beverley Hills Cop 2
    A View To A Kill
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Red Sonja
    Family Guy
    Wall Street
    Alien
    Attack of the 50ft Woman
    Splash
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

TLD :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent
    Err...really? Watch the fairground scenes in TLD again, you can tell Dalton is taller...

"The spectre of defeat..."

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

TLD :D

But Julie T. Wallace isn't the leading lady, Higgins.
    I haven't seen Tenet yet, so I have no idea if there are lots of full-figure shots of Debicki and John David Washington together. Can anyone tell us?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Beverley Hills Cop 2
    A View To A Kill
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Red Sonja
    Family Guy
    Wall Street
    Alien
    Attack of the 50ft Woman
    Splash

Red Sonja is the hero of "Red Sonja", so it doesn't apply.
    Grace Jones is 179 cm, so Roger Moore was taller than her.
    Eyes wide shot isn't an action movie.
    Beverly Hills cop II: Birgitte Nielsen is taller than Eddie Murphy, so that one counts. But we need to remember that villans are often taller than the hero (making my Famke Janssen example less fortunate)
    Family Guy isn't an action movie, neither is Wall Street and Splash.
    I haven't seen "Attack of the 50 foot woman" in decades, but isn't Nancy (Daryl Hannah) the lead and the hero of the movie?
    Aliens?
    Ripley is the hero of Aliens, so it doesn't apply.
    Ah, ok. Alien3? :D

(Just pulling your leg, N24)
    More seriously-

"The Year Of Living Dangerously"

Does anyone doubt that Sigourney Weaver is taller than Mel Gibson?
    Barbel wrote:
    More seriously-

"The Year Of Living Dangerously"

Does anyone doubt that Sigourney Weaver is taller than Mel Gibson?

Could be a a good example , but I can't remember if the director used tricks to make Mel Gibson look taller (ditches, apple boxes, Signourey Weaver sitting down while Mel standing up, avoiding full-figure shots of them standing next to each other etc)
    Number24 wrote:
    There is a tradition/rule not to have the women being (or att least be shown to be) taller than the hero. My point is that casting a lead actor who isn't tall limits the number of actresses they will cast because casting tall actresses is at best difficult in that situation.

I understand your point but Tom Hardy is hardly small...doesn’t seem to have affected Daniel Craig throughout his tenure as Bond either...traditions/rules are there to be broken - even more so in the current times...would you rule out an actor because he is too tall...? I’d say THAT would present more difficulties...
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2021
    I don't remember calling anyone small.
    We don't know if Craig's height has affected his Bond films, but there is certainly a possibility that actors and actresses have been rejected because they were too tall compared to Craig. I very much doubt this was ever the case with the other Bond actors.
    I guess there is such a thing as being too tall to play Bond, but in my opinion Bond can be really tall.
    I can't see any problems with an actor Alexander Skarsgård's height (6' 4'').
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    There must have been some camera trickery in this scene between Tom Hardy and Svetlana Khodchenkova as according to IMDB she's 2 inches taller than Tom , from Tinker Taylor .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkE1ApoId4&list=PLYFHQMn9LGG5jc2w570ASwVSO1frNJIvh&index=156
    Looks like it to me.
    This begs the question: why spend time, energy and posibly money on making Hardy look taller if his height isn't an issue?