New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    It's probably the Height of everybody else, that's the problem :D

TP - ever the philosopher :))
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Can anyone name an action movie where the leading lady is taller than the hero and no attempt is made to hide it?

Its been a long time since I've seen Beverly Hills Cop 2. But I thought that movie had a really tall female? She might have been a villain. She was tall enough for Axel to quote "God, that's a big b***h"
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Yes, Beverly Hills II has already been mentioned.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't remember calling anyone small.

I don’t recall anyone saying you did? ?:)
    Number24 wrote:
    We don't know if Craig's height has affected his Bond films, but there is certainly a possibility that actors and actresses have been rejected because they were too tall compared to Craig. I very much doubt this was ever the case wit the other Bond actors.

As you say...”we don’t know”... :v

Number24 wrote:
    I guess there is such a thing as being too tall to play Bond, but in my opinion Bond can be really tall.
    I can't see any problems with an actor Alexander Skarsgård's height (6' 4'').

There would be a possibility that actors would be rejected because they would be too small for him :v
    YNWA 97
    But you did write:

I understand your point but Tom Hardy is hardly small...doesn’t seem to have affected Daniel Craig throughout his tenure as Bond either...

so my comments were certainly relelevant.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    But you did write:

I understand your point but Tom Hardy is hardly small...doesn’t seem to have affected Daniel Craig throughout his tenure as Bond either...

so my comments were certainly relelevant.

I did write that...now please show me where I said YOU called someone small...as that seems to be what you are complaining about for some reason ?:)
    YNWA 97
    I wanted to make it clear that I didn't call him small since you wrote the quoted sentence. I din't claim you said I said etc.
    Why don't we go back to talking about the topic?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Yes, let's make short work of getting back on topic shall we, if that isn't too tall an order? ;%
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Is he small...or far away? :)) :))

Given likely delays and desirousness of someone below 34 now I increasingly like Nicholas Hoult.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I haven't seen Tenet yet, so I have no idea if there are lots of full-figure shots of Debicki and John David Washington together. Can anyone tell us?

Yes they are together a lot. Their relationship is not a traditional Male female lead dynamic. It does not damage or diminish him at all. But she is taller than everyone and here's the crucial bit, he's not James Bond. :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    edited December 2020
    I saw Edward Holcroft was suggested in the other place. He comes from a military family, was sent to a public school and has been in London Spy, Gunpowder and both Kingsman movies among other things. Holcroft is 33 years old, 6'1'' (183 cm) tall and has a classical leading man looks. At the very least he's screentest material.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Okay, but he was the snotty posh nob in Kingsman - v possibly a sign of what a great actor he is, as not being like that in real life, perhaps, but the picture you paint suggests he's playing to type.

Post Boris this type might be hard to sell.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I doubt Boris is alone in giving public school types a bad name, but I see your point. I haven't seen him in anything really, but I fear he has years to show his range before EON casts the next James Bond :#
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    I'm sure they will get around to finding someone that half of us will love and half will hate. :))

Is Oliver Stark of the TV series "9-1-1" a potential Bond? He's British and his age and height is near perfect - 29 years old and 6'2''. Stark plays a firefigther and claims he loves doing stunts and he does everything he's allowed to (80% of the stunts).

So far so good. But his CV doesn't look too impressive with some TV and movie work, but nothing that will impress critics. He's done no theatre.

His hair is the same colour as Roger Moore's and his face looks good, but other than a major birthmark near his left eye his facial feature are not particularely distinctive.

• Agent SterlingAgent Sterling Dear Old BlightyPosts: 8MI6 Agent

For my ten cents, I think Fassbender, Elba, Hardy and Hiddleston are too old. The producers will be looking for someone to carry the series for the next 10 - 15 years and the next film probably won't start shooting for at least another two years.

In my opinion, having seen him in "Journeys End" Sam Claflin currently aged 35 is worth a look and he hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I'm aware.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

Good to see Henry Cavill in the lead 👏🏻 In my humble opinion he’s easily the best candidate.

Yes. Considerably!
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent

Agreed. After being dead against him taking over the role I have now gone a full 180 and want him to take over the role 100%.

Smiert Spionam
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters

I have been a Cavill booster since he was 23 years old...and passed over for the role by Craigger in '05...but I think his ship might have sailed. Besides Superman (which might still not be completely over) and his other stuff, I just don't think Eon will throw him enough coin for a Bond debut. If I'm wrong there, I won't be disappointed.

I think (rather than Hiddleston, who remains my current first choice) it will be a lower-tier actor, as Craig was when cast.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

That is my fear also. I think I previously saw him as a bit of a budget Brosnan before but after seeing his work on Man from U.N.C.L.E and Man of Steel I can see he would absolutely have the acting chops to play Bond on the big screen.

As for a lesser known actor I would also throw Tom Bateman's hat into the ring. Thought he was very good when I saw him in 'Behind Her Eyes'. He has a very strong Scottish accent but I'm sure he's more than capable of curbing that slightly.

Smiert Spionam

Yes, a James Bond with a strong Scottish accent could never work! 😁

And I hope for a lower- tier actor in terms of fame.

Trust me Sean has nothing on this guy in terms of Scottish twang 😂

Smiert Spionam
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I'm not against Henry Cavill at all. Ticks all the boxes for a cinematic Bond. A three film deal of stand alone traditional Bond missions without too much personal baggage would be perfect for me.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Exactly…Cavill or Hiddlestone for a 3 standalone mission films every 3 years would be perfect!

• Glidrose007Glidrose007 Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

My number 1 choice right now is Brett Goldstein. Watching him play tough guy Roy Kent in Ted Lasso, I saw something in him that reminded me of Connery. He can do tough and comedy in equal measure, so would bring the fun back to the series, while exuding macho charisma too. Empire magazine also have him tipped as one of the runners.

Forget your Cavill's, Fassbenders and Hardy's. This is the kind of actor that will be chosen. A left field choice, off everyone's radar.

He can raise just one eyebrow to great effect too, the same way Moore and Connery could. That has to be a bonus! 🤨

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Well, if anything, he has Connery's chest hair.😄

Not to beat a dead horse, Goldstein is 41. I am guessing that they won't cast anyone who is over 40, especially since we probably won't see the next Bond film for 4 years. If they did go for someone over 40, my first choice would be Tom Ellis. He literally clicks off all the boxes, especially in charisma and screen presence. Ellis also has that rare combination of charm and danger that works so well for Bond. From a physical standpoint, Ellis might be the closest thing to Fleming's Bond. I like Henry Cavill very much also. A bit younger, but will still be over 40 once Bond 26 gets going and of course all the aforementioned stuff that could rule Cavill out.

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent

So long as Bond is at least average height and proportional, height doesn’t have come into play anymore. It’ll be sexiness and acting chops, and they can certainly find female co-stars who aren’t statuesque but are beautiful and talented. Bond’s towering height has always been his most absurd quality in a secret agent, who should blend in and not stick out. Being a head taller just makes it easier to get in a head shot in a crowded room, he’d be banging his noggin all the time on cockpit glass and underground tunnels, and in nearly every country of the world he’d stick out like a sore thumb. Pure fantasy.

Speaking of which, I’m not sure a pure White male is where they’ll go. The Craig Bonds finished as a testament to the failure of empire and basically deconstructed Bond as the failure of toxic White male masculinity. He is, after all, ultimately killed by bombs from his own country in an air strike he called after being infected with a ‘virus” authorized in secret by his White male boss, thus denying him a future with his girlfriend and daughter, a kind of ultimate deadbeat dad. All they needed to do was play that womp-womp music to drive the point home.

So, unless the millions of young people who now embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion unlike so many of their parents and grandparents suddenly decide to abandon their principles and go back to a 1950s model of the racial pecking order that has dominated movies for decades, Eon may choose to strike out in a different direction. If so, I’m assuming they’ll choose an actor who is more racially ambiguous, having a range of features that makes him “exotic” (read: not purely White but with enough similar features it doesn’t alienate White audiences they fear will otherwise be disturbed). Think a Keanu Reeves type, for example.

Of course, they could always just return to the fantasy Bond. A lot depends on any societal changes in the next few years, such as declining birth rates and who that affects most, and how they affect box office. But I don’t think NTTD is going to be the runaway financial success they’re hoping for, and unless the fantasy Bond seems a surefire hit, they’ll hit newer demographic markers.

All that said, it’s harder for me to imagine who the actor will be. I’d said Aidan Turner in the past, but he’s more the traditional Bond type and getting too old. White audiences seem a little more accepting of the possibility of a Black Bond than, say, one who leans too much toward Asian or Latino/Hispanic, so perhaps an actor with very light brown or black skin or what are perceived as only slight Asian features would be in the running.

edited October 2021

Bond's height is the most absurd quality of a secret agent. .... really? What about every barkeeper in the world knowing him by name, going to space or driving around in St. Marc's square in Venice in a kitted-out gondola?

Height does matter, the question is really about what people think is tall enough to portray James Bond. Do you think Peter Dinklage (a fine actor) is tall enough to be Bond? If you don't think so you agree height matters. If you think he is tall enough you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm very far from being the only one to disagree with you.

Saying CraigBond deconstructed Bond as the failure of toxic white male masculinity is being far too negative. Bond was the hero of those films and the movies often celebrated his masculinity. The movies may have questioned the traditional image of masculinity, but a white male (Bond) saved the world at the end of NTTD. Hardly a deconstruction.

I do agree they might cast someone of mixed etnicity, like Rege-Jean Page. I also agree that an actor who's 40 now most likely won't get cast. I'll ad Sam Heughan's name as an actor who would've been a fine candidate five years ago but probably is too old now.

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent

You seem to be either misreading my comments or changing their context. Is Peter Dinklage at least of average height? If you think someone of his size might present a problem, it’s equally absurd for someone on the other end of the spectrum, at least so far as the points I noted.

Yes, I truly believe the Craig Bonds deconstructed the toxic White male. They’re almost a satire in this regard, which is why some will miss that point. If the movies had a laugh track, they might seem more obvious. Look for interviews with Craig down the road where he acknowledges this, if in an understated way. These Bonds have been more subversive than people realize, like New Wave music in the 80s that set blistering social criticism lyrics to a poppy upbeat melody so the masses didn’t realize they were the butt of the joke so often.

Bond ‘saved the world” from the plottings of other White males — M and Blofeld chief among them. Saffin’s make up is more murky, but he’s Russian (and a White Russian invented the nanobots), and it’s clear he wouldn’t have become a supervillain had it not been for Blofeld, who apparently became an evil genius because of Bond. That Bond essentially dooms Mathilde to a repeat of his own childhood without a biological father just further cements his ineffectiveness as even a parent. While the movies may seem to wrap things up in a bow of heroism, what’s really inside the package is failure. In the end, Bond is left dead and without a family, and fir what? To save what we are shown is a corrupt and dying empire?