Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Morning all!

New post: our 6 essential boots for fall

Inspired by the usual suspects, of course 😁. Enjoy your weekend, gang!

John

• RonBerryRonBerry Posts: 17MI6 Agent

Having watched David's detailed review of the N. Peal HERO (Commando) trousers/ pants, I believe that the closest we as 'budget bond collectors' will get for the foreseeable is the following:

Fjallraven Keb Trousers

- Colour: black, or dusk, or slate grey/ black

Rationale: I own these trousers and have used them for years. They're a highly constructed technical trouser which have been worn by the British SAS following the Manchester arena bombing a few years ago (see photo attached). They're equipped with many of the sartorial features of the N.Peals, and some: front button clasp pockets, zip pockets, leg seam zips, bottom tab closures, slim fit, waterproof

They do however lack the following: no identical colour match, no tab closure or waste adjuster.

In summary the Keb trousers are a high performance trouser used by the world's most elite fighting force. This quality does not come cheap; a new pair of Fjall Keb's cost roughly £170, but are intended to last for several years.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Thumbs up for the Fjallraven Kebs. The brand is my go-to for hardwearing outdoor clothes. They’re also less overtly military trousers than the N.Peal despite being worn by actual commandos.

Damn, I had the Kebs on the short list to include in the post and ended up cutting them at the last minute (couldn't find a store that had a decent size selection in the Dusk, which I thought was the best color match).

I'm on the fence about the N.Peal trousers. Cool design and details (although the poor finishing on the interior seams caught me by surprise; thought they could have taped those to make them cleaner and more durable).

But I honestly don't think I'd get much use out of them. I already have a very similar style from an old Canadian brand called Illustrated Example that are beautifully made, but I barely wear them (the photo below isn't mine, but the ones I have are almost exactly the same).

I think I'll be admiring the N.Peal ones from afar for now.

edited September 2021

Absolutely agree, John. The N.Peals are too specific and lack proportional functionality.

I have the black Fjall Kebs which work nicely with the shade differential of the commando sweater. I'm undecided on the 'dusk' colour as I think it contains too strong a teal pigment. However, this seems to be differ depending on the lighting - see photo attached of some Keb trousers in dusk.

@RonBerry Yes, the color of the Dusk does appear differently on various sites. What was throwing me about the other colors (other than the black) was that most of them had contrasting color overlays, which obviously looks less like the trousers used in the movie. But I'm 100% behind sacrificing some screen accuracy for functionality and if everyone is happy with their performance, then more power to you. Frankly, I wouldn't be wearing a pair of 100% cotton pants to go hiking. So the N.Peal ones are strictly a fashion item as far as I'm concerned.

New post: I asked Bobby Morelli of Matched Perfectly to share his knowledge of colognes and other men's scents and pick his favorites for the fall:

Some great choices at different price points. And I always enjoy Bobby's writing (especially on topics I know absolutely nothing about 😁)

Okay, I'm off to watch the Craig documentary. Cheers all!

John

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

The Combats conundrum..

Despite appearing in the film as a tactical trouser I think the N Peal may ultimately have more of a fashion vibe about them, because they're cotton, made by a fashion brand and not sure ultimately how hardwearing or durable they would be in a real world rough and tumble (e.g. trekking, hiking scenario). However, a trouser like the Fjällräven Keb are fit for purpose and have an outdoor action, sporty feel, especially with the branding, so might not feel as appropriate wearing around town or in the other scenario David suggested in his review. The N Peal will probably work better there. In the same way I would probably feel slightly anxious wearing the N Peal out in the wild in the aforementioned activities, I would feel quite uncomfortable wearing the Kebs on the high street or office on dress down days, it's not their natural environment.

As others have highlighted, the internal stitching of the N Peal also looks pretty poor, at any price point less than £50. Without looking and feeling in person, I can't say whether the £245 will be justified but I'm thinking they are overpriced.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Hey Canoe2 - thanks for the heads-up on the OB OHMSS smock/top. Mine arrived today and it is a great item - though I say that with it priced at the £115 I paid, rather than the £395 original price!😯

There were still some XS, Small and Larges left at the UK store if anybody is interested.

https://www.orlebarbrown.com/men/jackets-and-outerwear/hawthorn/271238.html?utm_term=je6NUbpObpQ&utm_campaign=UKNetwork&utm_medium=Affiliate&dwvar_271238_color=3686&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-Y127AY91HVq5ZNBHh.8MaQ&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-Y127AY91HVq5ZNBHh.8MaQ&ranMID=37373&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&utm_source=LinkShare&utm_content=10

Yes. Considerably.

@Ferinstal glad it worked out for you!

Post update: before NTTD post completely dominate the website, I've added some new alternatives for the QoS Harrington.

Sadly, not many great options out there this season (at least not yet). But the post was overdue for an update and the Mango one doesn't look too bad for $60 (Mango -what a surprise! 😂)

Cheers!

Just stumbled across this: decent alternative for the JV blue suede SPECTRE jacket (from Mango ... again ...🤣). On sale for $89.99/59.99 GBP with plenty of sizes in stock.

U.S. Link

UK Link

Cheers!

John

Morning all! New post on alternatives for the NTTD C&J Moltons:

Tomorrow I'll have the updated post on the Matera corduroy suit outfit. I've added alternatives for the shirt, tie, braces and boots.

Cheers!

John

Thanks, John!

Loving the becketts.

I recently purchased some Loake Spirit waxed suede chukka boots - see photo attached.

The boots lack a SA dainite sole (can be installed) and have a wine finish on the interior, but apart from those minor sartorial discrepancies, they're fantastic.

Not sure on availability, as I believe the boots were last season.

Ron

@RonBerry Those are really nice! I'll dig around and see where I can find them. Cheers!

• Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 157MI6 Agent

Excellent write up for those lovely chukkas!

I would like to add another option as an alternative although definitely not on the budget category.

The ShoePassion n639 chukkas,

https://www.shoepassion.eu/no-639.html

Those are goodyear-welted with an interesting rough upper but lack the Dainite sole.

@Agent Eternal Those are great! I'll update the post to include them ASAP with credit to you for the share!

As promised, I've updated the post on Bond's Matera suit with sections on the shirt, tie, boots and braces. Lots of credit recognized in this one!

Enjoy your Sunday!

John

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Hey John, thanks for the post. I'm seriously considering the Studio Suits option at some point!

I'm curious about measurements however. Let's say I wanted the suit but envisioned myself getting slightly bigger physically. How does one go about ensuring future-proofing a suit if you're liable to change physically? Is this something you can't really account for? Could you slightly boost certain measurements in anticipation or is that a big no-no?

Cheers,

Kris

@kristopherm3 I heading out right now,but I can give you some tips later tonight! Cheers!

Paid a quick visit to NPeal today. The nice ladies got me all dressed up 🤣

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

@canoe2 Interested to hear your impressions! Did they have the suspenders, too?

I'll share all my thoughts in a bit. Still out and about right now. No suspenders and the sales associate didn

OK, I'm back!

@kristopherm3 With suits, the hardest thing to change is going to be the shoulders. To get those adjusted basically requires re-building the entire jacket. So I would estimate what you expect your shoulder width to be and use that. With the sleeve length and jacket length, go with what you are now (working out won't make your arms longer or make you taller). That way you can also ask for working cuff buttons, which is a nice touch. Through the body of the jacket, maybe Studio Suits will build in some extra allowance at the seams? Around a half inch extra material at the side and back seam should allow a good tailor enough material so he/she can let out the jacket body as you get bigger. That's about the only thing I can think of up top. For the pants, you'll probably want to bring in the waist if you lose weight. But that's a fairly easy thing to do. You can also check out this article on IA that has more details about suit fit and what can be adjusted and what can't. Hope that helps!

@Cheverian The pants were ... interesting. The detailing was very cool. And I will say I liked them a lot as a concept. But I could never see myself wearing them. The fit is also a little strange. They come in small, medium, etc. instead of numeric waist sizes. I'm a 32/33 waist in most pants and the small was just too snug to be comfortable. And they're very slim through the leg. So even though the inseam in the small was good for me, the 100% cotton fabric lacks stretch, so everything just felt a little too tight.

When I went up to the medium, the fit was more comfortable in the waist and hips (and the fabric tab adjusters help). But then I got this weird fit where they were baggy through the thighs but super tapered below the knee, so they almost looked like jodhpurs (the photo is me in the medium). And the inseam was too long so there was a lot of stacking and that made the problem worse. Of course, because of the zippers and snap buttons at the cuffs, they'd be next to impossible to hem shorter.

TL;DR: very cool design and some nice details (although that unfinished back seam is a bit of a mess); but they're just not made for my body.

The sales associate didn't know anything about the suspenders when I asked.

Hope that helps!

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Many thanks for the advice, John - I feel more confident now in what to be mindful of!

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Great stuff John. Thanks for the all the information.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Morning all! Quick break from NTTD posts to look at Bond's dressier watches:

DN, OHMSS, AVTAK and SP are covered in the post, with nice options this time around for each.

Cheers!

John

edited September 2021

John,

Reference the trousers, now that N Peal has published the item on their website, I'm intrigued into the functionality of those frontal waist adjuster tabs - do they actually do anything? I can't tell from the pictures.

Ta

Ron

Yes, the adjusters do help. I was able to cinch up the mediums to improve the fit. I would estimate you could pull in about 1" on each tab.

Morning! New Best Budget Style Finds post:

I did a bit of a roundup of the various product launches and added some of the affordable options I've come across so far. And there are a few alternatives for SPECTRE and Skyfall pieces. Plus lots of shout outs to the gang hear, so thank you!

Have a great day, gang!

John

So I know a lot of people weren't feeling too good about Danner launch today. One of my readers sent me an email about these alternatives:

Oakley Light Assault 2 Boots in Blackout. There are on Amazon so exact pricing is all over the place. But it seems like most sizes are around $89.

US link:

UK link (83 GBP):

Cheers!

Also, Covert is back in stock at END Clothing. All sizes in stock as near as I can tell. Added one to my cart to test it out and it worked fine.

Cheers!

John

Happy Sunday! I've updated the post on the Barbour Graham. Some new alternatives (besides the Covert).

Cheers!

John