Royale Morocco Linen Blazer

2»

Comments

• NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent

If you've purchased this jacket (or are thinking of purchasing) I'd recommend reading Dan's post regarding the colour here:-

Great customer service from Dan.

• NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I was wondering if anyone who has purchased the jacket and read Dan’s advise on altering the colour has chosen to give it a try, I’d be interested to see and hear some feedback.

You’ll recall that I was somewhat impatient and ‘jumped the gun’ and my first attempt to amend the colour resulted in a rusty\brown looking jacket.

If anyone is curious I did have another attempt with my jacket.  In no way am I an expert in textile colouring (It’s just a hobby to me) but the best chance I had of getting close to the colour I wanted would be to start with as light a colour as possible (especially after the colour I now had after my initial attempt). 

I’ve not removed colour from a garment before so I did some reading and noted that if it worked then it should take the fabric back (or pretty close) to its original state. The stitching also looked to be cotton so I was confident enough to give colour removal a try. 

You can see on the image below that after the fabric colour removal (I used Rit color remover) my jacket went to a sand linen colour.  I then chose a different dye and opted for a taupe colour.     

I’m a lot happier with how this attempt has turned out. It’s a plainer colouring with a slight shift from brown to grey (It doesn’t have the subtle colouring of the jacket as when it was purchased from Royale).   I could try and go a shade darker to try and get a closer look to what was shown in the film but I think I'll leave this alone now.

The fit, detail and styling is great, the only other point I’d make is that on the shorter size like mine I’d ideally have it be nearly an inch longer in the back length.  

I’m looking forward to wearing this out. 

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 672MI6 Agent

Are there any video reviews of this yet? Looking forward to canoe2's, and hopefully The Bond Experience will do one, as he's got an actual one to compare it to.

Yes. Consssssiderably.

It's been almost a month, and I know canoe2 has stated his video review is on the way. (We look forward to it!)

Just wanted to see if there were any more impressions\reviews\pics of this? I imagine with summer gone, the holidays\colder weather season coming, and everyone in No Time To Die mode this one may be slightly lower on the priority list.

But I'm still holding out hope for a Frugal Bond review from @The Bond Experience at some point!

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Hi! I'm finishing up my review and should have it ready for later next week. Just want to add some final photos. I'll admit I did spend a lot of time experimenting with some dyes, so I hope that helps explain the delay.

Awesome, and thanks again, canoe2! Truly looking forward to it, and really appreciate the time you took on this one!

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent

Also looking forward to the review canoe2. I've just ordered one as I know the quality of the products Dan produces are excellent. More than happy to alter the colour if needed.

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6

I'll give you fine gentlemen a sneak peak at the results of my dye experiment. Left is pre-dye, right is post dye

And a post-dye shot in natural sunlight

Exciting. - looking forward to the reveal!

• JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I bought it and can confirm that the colour seems slightly off (I have never seen the original BC jacket in real life though). It definitely has a pink hue that is especially noticeable in natural daylight.

I tried to "dye" it gently using Royale Filmwear's suggested coffee trick and it seemed to improve the pink hue a little bit but it is still there.

The jacket is alright overall but not the best Royale product so far (having the peacoat, Solden jacket, Altausee jacket, Harrington jacket and shawl collar cardigan to compare with, which I all find brilliant). Mine arrived with quite a few loose threads and minor snags in the material. Also, it came with functioning cuff buttons, making it quite expensive and difficult to tailor to the correct length, which is an added cost to be noted.

Iconic Alternatives' dying results look superb in the photo and I will look forward to reading the review. Thank you for taking the time. Certainly a better colour would make me appreciate the jacket more as I can accept that the jacket fabric and construction is not top-of-the-line at the relatively modest price of $189 less shipping and local taxes.

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 745MI6 Agent

Canoe's color correction looks fantastic... I wear mine often to testify at work and get a lot of compliments on it... very intrigued to see your review Canoe and get tips on how you did yours... likely going to give it a try !

Any update on your experiment? Looking forward to receiving my jacket any day now and would be interested to know what you did with yours.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, but I'll have the review and the process for how I adjusted the color coming tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Apologies for the delay!

Great! I look forward to it and thanks for sharing as ever

edited November 2021

Thanks for the update and your passion and dedication to this review and dying project, canoe2! We are all looking forward to it!

Yes. Consssssiderably.

Okay, review is now live!

If anyone has any questions, just let me know!

Cheers!

John

Thought I'd share my own colour correction trial.

I originally followed John's ( @canoe2 ) steps but for some reason it barely changed for me and I was still left with a lot of the pink hue. I decided to have another go and this time reduced the volume of water and increased the time in the dye a little. I went with 4 teaspoons of Rit Dark Brown in 2 cups of hot water and hen mixed this with 10 litres of cold water and kept it in the dye for about 40 minutes. I'm pleased with the result - perhaps it's now darker than how the original looks on screen but I'm happy with the balance of brown and red tone.

The fit of this is excellent - I'd highly recommend it if you're happy to give the dying a go especially as Dan has dropped the price at the moment.

Indoor lighting:

Outdoors in shade:

Outdoors in direct sunlight:

• Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 157MI6 Agent

It looks good!

A question for people who did the color correction:

How about the lining , labels or contrast stitching? Did you do anything in particular to protect those pieces from the new color?

@DB6 That looks great! Question: did you wet the jacket before putting it in the dye bath? And did you add the fabric softener? So many little things can change how dye functions (even things like the acidity of the water). But I'm really glad your one turned out to your liking!

@Agent Eternal Dyeing didn't affect the lining on mine. However the white trim around the inside pockets was tinted ever so slightly brown. The contrast stitching didn't change. I believe the thread used for the stitiching around the button holes is a synthetic (polyester?) so it didn't absorb much (if any) dye. Hope that helps!

I enjoy reading all the opinions and seeing all the pictures, especially with canoe's in-depth guide!

I am curious if anyone who actually owns or has seen the Brunello blazer can compare it post-dye to the Royale Filmwear version? How close does the dye get? Is it a shade lighter or darker or just right?

Yes. Consssssiderably.

@canoe2 I did wet the jacket before dying but forgot the fabric softener. My mistake and when it dried I thought it had gone stiff but once I’d steamed it a little to get rid of the creasing it softened up.

It seems this got knocked down another $20... $119 now. Anyone who has seen an actual Brunello up close or owns one can shed some more light?

Or are there any other thoughts\opinions\dying alternatives?

Still an amazing deal.

Yes. Consssssiderably.
    edited May 2022

This is on SUPER clearance mode now for only $69.

Only XS through L and 2XL available.

You can't go wrong for that price, especially considering that there aren't too many close alternatives!

And the dye jobs (Royale's instructions, the Budget Bond review, some of the posts up here) look pretty good as well.

They still look pretty on the money in Royale's instructions.....

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1023888#

Yes. Consssssiderably.

That was quick!

It seems there's going to be another version of this blazer, this time going for more of a screen accurate look as opposed to matching the blazer directly.

Which could work.

Honestly, I feel like as long as the inside color (as taken by @canoe2 in his review) can match the outside color, it should look fairly screen accurate.

It feels like the key is to get it to be just a shade darker than the taupe chinos.

Since the highest quality version on Youtube is the COLOR CORRECTED version, I took some screenshots as a reference.....

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • Fulci2020Fulci2020 Posts: 27MI6 Agent

Will it be again in 100 % linen of will it be like the original with silk ?