New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

How do you feel about Dev Patel as James Bond? He's clearly a really good actor who's doing well now in David Copperfield and "The green knight". He's British, 31 years old and the classic Bond actor height of 6'2''.

He's been mentioned as the next Q, but I think he's too famous to be Q.

In many ways Patel looks perfect on paper. Like you I'm uncertain he would fit in real life, but he's interesting.

Since my above post I read Patel has said he's reluctant about playing Bond because he worries that kind of casting is "tokenism".

EON should ideally find and present the next actor next year. It's a big aniversary and it's the biggest news they can offer in 2022. Most of all it's vital that they show the world the franchise is going strong.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

I have to believe that is Eon’s plan. Let NTTD do its thing on Blu-Ray, then make a big announcement during a slow news period when it’s guaranteed to dominate the headlines.

Ideally they'll end the aniversary year by revealing the new actor in December 2022. By then much of the Blue-Ray and DVD sale has been done.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

Cavill doing the press tour for the Witcher currently. Looking like Bond walking to me.

Will be great to get a new Bond actor who enjoys being Bond and all that goes with it.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited December 2021

I don't think they've found the actor yet.

edited December 2021

Here are two British actors I think are interesting. They're both 31, experienced actors and 6'2''. Good age and height, not too famous.

Callum Turner (Fantastic Beasts, Emma, War and peace)

Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, David Coperfield, Green knight)

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Keeping in mind that in Hollywood "in talks" means "we discussed it for 30 seconds in the lobby of the Chateau Marmont," there is this intriguing rumor going around:

I'd prefer an actual Scot to play Conor MacLeod but sign me up for a reboot of Highlander from the John Wick mastermind.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I would be very happy for Cavill as Bond, but I don't think he's right for Connor MacLeod.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Sam Heughan would be better.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent

"I'd prefer an actual Scot to play Connor MacLeod but sign me up for a reboot of Highlander from the John Wick mastermind."

Kind of ironic that the original Highlander film had a Frenchman cast as Connor MacLeod and a Scotsman cast as a Spaniard.

So you had a Spanish character speaking with a Scottish accent and a Scottish character speaking in some wacky bizarre accent that I assume was an attempt at a Scottish accent. I will say, Connery got away with it because, well he's Connery. Lambert, not so much. But I think it's all part of the gonzo wacky charm of that film.

IMO, Cavill would make a great Connor Macleod and I am sure he would nail the accent.

edited December 2021

1990 seems to have been a good vintage for potential Bond actors. Callum Turner, Dev Patel and now Jack Lowden. British, good career (War and Peace, Dunkirk, A united kingdom, Mary queen of Scots ), tall and looks like a mix of Connery and Ewan McGregor.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Yes I think Lowden has potential

Chances are Patel, Turner and Lowden will be at least 34 by the time Bond26 is released, and 35 or even 36 is more likely. Food for thought for those who still think Idris Elba is the next Bond.

Think Amazon will want a movie out sooner tbh

I too think Amazon will push for getting work done faster. The company can also make it easier to get the financing in order quickly. But Purvis and Wade said they (EON, I think) "will take their time". I think casting the next actor early is more important than ever before, but they can't rush it and get it wrong.

People need to know the series is alive and well, and the end of the aniversary year in about 12 months would be perfect for anouncing the new actor. With that in place EON can take a couple of years to actually make the movie.

No expert but think it will be sooner… pretty sure they have an idea who they want.. remember BB said she spotted DC in Elizabeth and said that’s her Bond and followed his career… once he was announced they started filming straight away and as said earlier pressure from Amazon… 2023 when I think Bond 26 will be out!

I love your optimism! It's not impossible, but I think it's unlikely.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff

I don’t think Amazon will have much of a say 🤣

Franchise could be sold yet…putting the next film back a year at least…really don’t see how 2023 is possible 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97

As I said Sir Miles I’m no expert😂

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 402MI6 Agent

@Sir Miles of course Amazon will have much of a say. The ownership of the rights is splitted into two equal parts between EON and MGM. It's precisely because MGM suffered from big financial issues during the last decade that the wait has been so long between the movies.

It's not because Gregg Wilson said there would be a while between NTTD and the next movie that it will be the case indeed. He's not the only one to decide. Bezos didn't spend such an amount to let Barbara Broccoli and her Scooby-Gang set all the rules. Remember what Bob Iger did with Lucasfilm. Did Kathleen Kennedy really approve the schedule ? Reliable sources seem to underline there was a disagreement on that point. But anyone who knows a little bit how the film industry works is aware money is the key...for better or for worse.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Did Amazon know Eon was going to kill off the Golden Goose before they got their hands on its eggs ??

edited December 2021

I guess they knew because some people from MGM had seen the final cut before the buyout, but don't forget Bond is a trademark like any other product for them. After all, no matter what happened in NTTD, the audience will always be there when you deal with Bond, and that's exactly what they expect in their business plan.

No, Amazon will have very little input…other than money 🤣 I admire your optimism though 🍸

YNWA 97

It's possible Amazon saw the NTTD ending as a plus since it signals a new era and clean slates ...

@Sir Miles to be honest, I've never been as worried about the future of the franchise as I am now !

It doesn't seem irrelevant to suppose Bezos will have his word to say about the schedule for instance. What makes you think Amazon will not interfere in any way ? Do you have some concrete elements to illustrate your point or is this just a personal feeling ?

I’m not worried about the franchise….yet 👀 but it’s possible we are at a crossroads…

Why would Bezos even bother? He’s too busy blasting into space…🤣 Amazon won’t interfere, it would be counterproductive…

What concrete elements are you after? TBH, I don’t understand what that means 🤔

Both own 50%…one can’t move without the other…Eon always make a nice profit…why interfere and bugger it up? 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97

Won't it at least be easier to get the financing in order with Amazon?