(SPOILERS) So, Will They Start Over or . . .

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

revelator said:

I'm guessing Madeline, sick of guns and death, raised her daughter in the most safe and boring circumstances imaginable, so Mathilde Bond grew up to be an accountant.

Well thatd be a dull series, dull dull dull, desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring. At least up until the episode when Mathilde goes to see the Vocational Guidance Counselor about her dream job of becoming.. a Lion Tamer!

number24 said:

Mathilde probably knew Norwegian since she watched Fantorangen on TV. Nowadays finding English language childrens' TV is easy, so it was by choice.

yes apologies, I couldn't write stereotypical six year old dialog in Nowegian, but we could make all the dialog in Norwegian that if it brings you on board this project. What do we have to next? @Number24 you probably want the job of contacting Léa Seydoux to let her know we need her for our proposed series.

gosh, I wonder if EON is going to give us a nice big advance, or if we have to wait til actual ticket sales to get paid?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

An advance and perventages of the sales seems reasonable.

Norway is usually very safe, we hardly die at all. We have relatively many guns, but bolt action hunting rifles are boring to get shot at from compared to automatics. Perfect for Madeleine and Mathilde!

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

Olivia is also the middle name of Daniel Craig's mother.

"some of you guys can look past the issue of M being the same actor who was M when Brosnan was Bond and thus see Craig's Bond as a new timeline, I can not."

Hm.

• Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent

Keeping in mind, when looking at the Craig-era as a whole, Bond has worked on a mostly intermittent schedule when it comes to the release of films. The only time this era ever resembled the regular turnaround between Bond films was from Royale to Quantum. Since then, it's been when the time was right (keeping in mind that, up until NTTD, this is pre-COVID).

On that basis, I wouldn't expect Bond 26 until around 2025.

2021-mid 2022: finishing the Craig era with the release of the film, press junkets, promotional tours, interviews, home release.

Mid-2022 until 2023: back to work. Begin discussions for the next film including casting, writing, directors, crew, explore innovative means of distribution with Amazon etc...

2023: talk talk talk. Plan plan plan. That's before even mentioning delays. Announcement of film, casting, the works.

2024: film.

2025: Bond returns

FYI - i haven't even addressed the potential for further lockdowns which may be necessitated through future COVID strains. There's already talk of it despite the availability of boosters. We're still wearing masks, we're still expected to undertake PCR tests, we're still social distancing. We may be more open as an economy than we were in 2020, but we still have a hell of a long way to go before returning to the world of the 2010s. The above projected timeline could comfortably be pushed out toward the latter part of the 2020s.

• Dodge101Dodge101 Posts: 55MI6 Agent

Not relevant because they all played different characters whereas in the context of my posts M was played by the same actress under the same screen name 'M' which makes it a very very big difference.

Then that's just selective nitpicking. On top of my examples, you've accepted six (or at least five) different men playing the same role, four women playing Moneypenny in films in which one man played Q, but this woman playing M in two different continuities is a bridge too far?

(shrug) It's your headcanon.

But Dench does play (possibly) the same person in two different timelines. No-one else has done that as far as I know.

edited December 2021

She's distinct in that she's got one foot in two timelines. But! That has to take on faith that Brosnan's timeline* is the same timeline as Connery and Moore, even though he's got a completely different Moneypenny. Surely the woman Samantha Bond is playing isn't meant to be the same character as the Canadian woman serving as M's secretary in Dr. No? In which case Desmond Llewellyn shares the "same person in multiple timelines" honor.

*You could point to the jetpack in Q's lab in DIE ANOTHER DAY; I could point to the ejector seat in SKYFALL. Neither really proves anything.

It's a very lose timeline from DN to DAD, but it's the same one. There are many scenes that show it's the same Bond, such as Leiter mentioning Tracy in LTK. CR on the other hand is clearly a new timeline with Bond getting his 00-status.

The Moneypenny/Q Paradox will not be explained away!

You know what, Calvin Dyson makes a far better case for all the Bonds from Connery to Brosnan is the same man than I ever can. I urge you to watch his video on the codename theory. I'm not saying you're a follower of that theory, just that Dyson talks about the continuity in a good and clear way.

Love Calvin but it's all subjective and there's no unifying theory, just a la carte headcanon. That's kind of the fun of it.

Basil suggests you forget all that stuff and just enjoy yourself.

edited January 2022

This strange letter has surfaced in certain dark corners of the net and local post office lately. What do you make of it? 😉

Dear Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, two atomic bombs, numbers 4-5-6 and 4-5-7, which were aboard NATO Flight 7-5-9, are now in the possession of the Anti-No Time to Die Brigade of AJB007. Unless within the next seven days EON Productions agrees to bring back Daniel Craig as James Bond for one last film with a happy ending, we shall destroy a major city in England or the United States of America. Please signal your acceptance of our terms by arranging for Big Ben to strike seven times at six p.m. tomorrow.*

• Any simmularities between this letter and Mattjoes' post in MI6Community are not coincidental at all ....

If they destroyed a major city in Scotland, Ireland or Wales the world may not hear about it for years.

• drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent

I'd like to see an origin story. Show Bond as an orphan at Skyfall, the parents dying, etc... Bond getting recruited into MI6 could be the end of the first film in the new series.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

@drum007 have you read Charlie Higson's Young Bond novels, or Horowitz's Forever and a Day? those continuation novels cover the beginning and end points of the period you describe, if your curious about Bond's early years you should read them! There's also John Pearson's long out-of-print Authorized Bond Biography.

there is indeed lots of cinematic potential in those books, but EON seems to prefer not to adapt the continuation novels even though they own the rights. Or they could do something similar in broad strokes, but loose enough its not an official adaptation.

• drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent

@caractacus potts I haven't but you have me intrigued. Will do!

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 402MI6 Agent

I would love a spy movie like FRWL, FYEO and TLD. I'm passionate about geopolitics and the current global context is so conducive to have a story dealing with such issues. Having a politician as the main villain for instance would be so great.

The only thing I hope is there will be no more personal items like doubts, loyalty, revenge, introspection, family, legacy...that have been overused during the Craig era. I think it's time to see Bond back to his genuine DNA: being a spy!

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

TLD has a few doubts/loyalty/revenge issues though. Bond even disobeys his direct orders: twice! 😊

In some way you are right, but I'm sure you got my point. TLD is a masterpiece in terms of screenwriting for those who love Bond and spy fictions. I absolutely love the part in Bratislava with Saunders and the sniper. Typical FRWL atmosphere. Great dialogues and wonderful Dalton. I want to see scenes like that in the next one.

edited February 2022

I do love the tone of Daylights and it might actually be my favourite Bond flick, but I'm not sure it's a masterpiece of a script: all these years and I still get a bit lost as to what the villains' plan is! 😄

But if we didn't have the bits of drama where Bond effectively goes rogue or gets angry because he's personally involved then it wouldn't be half as good. I like all of those touches.

@emtiem I agree the plot is a little bit complex. But this is not a topic about TLD, so I won't explain it here.

I insist on the fact I would love to have a spy story again. In some way, we can consider Dalton, Brosnan and Craig all started with a movie where geopolitics is important to understand the mission Bond is involved in (The Soviet–Afghan War in TLD, the new threats after the fall of the Soviet Union in GE and financing international terrorism after 9/11 in CR06).

I wish they will create the stakes of Bond 26 drawing from the current international tensions.

edited February 2022

I don't think the villans' plot in TLD is too complex. The plot problem is the underwritten villans.

I don't think future Bond movie should be without personal themes. Some of the best Bond movies (OHMSS, LTK, GE, CR) feature them heavily. But I agree there should be a lot less of that sort of thing in the future. Part of the reason it worked so well in the movies I mentioned was because it was done so rarely. In Craig's tenure it happened every single time.

and in most of those cases, the successful personal themes are from Fleming.

aside from Craig's first film, most of these recent personal theme plots are recycled from Batman or Wolverine movies, overfamiliar cliches that do not neatly fit and might not have been anything Fleming would ever have imagined

Much as the actors have more or less contrasted with one another, I think the franchise pivots toward and away from Fleming; I don't expect to see much of him in the next Bond (not at the outset, at any rate). Whether they succeeded is another topic, but I think the producers feel this last version was quite steeped in Fleming "vibes," and I expect the next version to hew closer to Moore and Brosnan, a lighter touch.

edited February 2022

@Number24 I never said the movies should be WITHOUT personal themes, but I expect they won't be the key of the story. Furthermore, look at the way the movies you quote deal with it. It's very well done because it's not overused to justify the plot. Bond remains Bond...

@caractacus potts correct ! And to be honest I think QoS is the most Flemingian film of the reboot. And Craig's performance is pretty amazing in this one. What a shame they didn't have a complete script. It could have been the greatest movie of the Craig era.

Yes I guess, but they have to be careful not to steer too close to any political issues: Bond is escapist nonsense in the end (of the best kind!) and it's almost a bit tasteless to get a silly character like him tangled up in political events. Plus they need to sell these things around the world- you can't show one of your markets as being the baddie! That's why SPECTRE was invented.

The baddies in CR after all are just businesspeople out to make themselves money: they're not idealists in any form.