Movie Posters

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff

What the hell is that last one???

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent

It’s a French spy spoof (Bernard Lee in it as well) , similar to Kid Brother as they both play M/Moneypenny characters, partly filmed in Hong Kong. I’ve never seen it. Mickey Rooney and Clifton James also appear. Western title was From Hong Kong With Love. Now we need a You Tube link 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Although Joseph Wiseman tended to stick to Broadway in his career he did turn up in quite a few movies as well…I haven’t seen Jaguar Lives, it looks interesting as Christopher Lee and Donald Pleasence star in it as well. I wonder if they talked about Bond villains off-set?

Robert Shaw’s Red Grant is arguably Bond’s greatest henchman opponent (vying with Oddjob) and he went on to star in many great movies…

I find it interesting how many times Shaw got caught up in the diagonal billing system. "Jaws" is obviously the most famous of his. It's often said that this was invented for "The Towering Inferno"

but it had been around for much longer than that-

I think McQueen and Newman also insisted that they had exactly the same amount of screen time and words spoken, as well. Towering Inferno was the best of the ‘disaster’ movie phase of that period.

Bond’s greatest ally, Kerim Bey, played by Pedro Armendariz, was also in these movies…

His son was also in LTK and these movies…note the John Wayne connection…

Gert Frobe was magnificent as Bond’s greatest villain and he followed it up by appearing in a host of international productions…And Then There Were None teams him up with TB villain, Largo.

Pete Walker directed some of the best British exploitation movies of the 70’s. Just as he relatively hit the big time in directing House Of The Long Shadows starring a quartet of famous horror names - Price, Lee, Cushing and Carradine - he gave it up to restore old cinemas.

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Wow. Fantastic collection of classic poster imagery. I personally prefer the all action ones, especially WW2 e.g. Where Eagles Dare etc. Always felt that something was missing when styles changed to newer glimpse of main characters as found on current Advertising. They did it with some of my favorites like Battle of Britain and Murphy's War. You've shown some greats that I'd not seen before like Ice Station Zebra.....cool😂

Bond as we know has all types through the years. I bought a ltd edition run of the 'lost' Thunderball Artwork. Pic attached. Years ago I dreamt of having a Cinema room with some favorites. I still have my own adapted one for African Queen. Pic attached.

I Believe the last true painted 007 Advertising Artwork was that by a French Artist for A View to A Kill.

Some Asian Bond movie posters…

I love seeing Bond posters, book covers, etc from round the world.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited August 2023

what is the music score in this one? the James Bond Theme? Underneath the Mango Tree?

@Barbel can you recognise it from just a few disconnected notes interrupted by Connery's head?

I think its kinda cool the poster acknowledges how important the music is, I'm sure thats not the first aspect most normal people think of when they think of a James Bond movie (though that first aspect is positioned front and centre even if her bikini is the wrong colour)

btw thanks @CoolHandBond for the full size graphics, this ones got saved to my harddrive

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

oh and @CoolHandBond you say Asian, but do you know which specific country?

It's the James Bond Theme, cp. My sight reading isn't the best, but that tune I recognise instantly.

@caractacus potts I’m not sure but I would guess at Japan or perhaps Thailand.

@Barbel Thanks for answering CP’s question - I was going to ask you but forgot!

Here are some more…I think they are wonderful and perhaps portray the movies better than the UK ones. I particularly like the use of the 007 logo.

that is impressive @boss! the more I look at it, theres only a few notes that are unobscured. I think youd have to be a genuine Legal Expert on this particular piece of music to recognize it from such few clues!

😁 Now you know I can talk about that for hours!

Some more foreign Bond posters…

Back in the 60’s and 70’s double bills were very popular at cinemas and provided a great evening’s entertainment…

Although some pairings were a little odd…

But most were connected vey well…

I miss those, they're where I watched a bunch of flicks I wouldn't otherwise have seen. (Not the Bonds, of course.)

I think James Mason's house at the end of North by NorthWest is a bit of a prototype for Piz Gloria, and certainly spectacular mountaintop architecture

The one on the left is very Bondian, I think.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent

I like the one on the right the most.

Nice posters @Number24 the house reminds me more of Willard Whyte’s in DAF than Piz Gloria, though.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Yes, a bit of that. I remember going to Flaine in France for a ski holiday some years ago and seeing this hotel, which pleased the Bond fan in me a lot.

I used to love these UNCLE movies as a kid in the 60’s - at the time I didn’t know they were amalgamations of two-part episodes which were omitted from the UK TV series when it was aired. I have seen the original episodes now in my box set and it’s fun to check out the additional material which was inserted.

And if one movie wasn’t enough…

Next in my box set is "How To Steal The World" about which I know nothing so am looking forward to it. I see from the poster, though, that Leslie Nielsen is in it so that makes it all the more tempting. This will be from well before he started making comedies.

I may be wrong but I think How To Steal The World was made up from the last two ever episodes of the TV series.

When you saw posters like these outside cinemas it would make you buy a ticket!