New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

I don't think they'd put an arbitrary deadline on it like the anniversary; they'll just be working through the process. Based on previous castings it seems likely that they'd hire a director and writer first too.

Slightly alarmingly there still seems to be no sign on Companies House of them opening a limited company for production of Bond 26, something they usually do for the next film before the previous one was even released. And I doubt they'll have started any official billable work on B26 unless they can put it against that company for accounting purposes.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

Casting a new James Bond, hiring writers and a dirictor etc and making a movie in three years. Does that sound like EON to you? 😂

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

The new trailer for 'See How They Run' makes a serious case for Harris Dickinson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=Q00qh7Ab6Mk&feature=emb_logo

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

That looks a fun film.

And good shout on him. Ticks a lot of the boxes.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

On paper he looks good, but I don't see the "blunt instrument" in that face.

No surprise that it'll take more than two years from now. What's more interesting is the part about re-inventing Bond. This can mean anything. It can be argued that Bond was re-invented every time a new actor was cast. One can also say Bond was re-invented in FYEO and LTK too. But re-invented can also mean something really drastic. Time will tell.

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Wait, you mean to tell me Barbara and Michael have been twiddling their thumbs for the last 2.5 years while NTTD was in the can?

Are you really surprised?

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

No, I was being sarcastic. It's sad that I'm not surprised. I don't know what the hell happened to this franchise this last decade, but I despair for its longevity given EON's complacency isn't exactly yielding the next generation of fans.

It's sad to see our starry-eyed optimism disapearing... 🙁

If they don't start filming till mid to late 2024, then we might not hear the next Bond till early 2024! That means another 18 months at the very least. During that time we will hear about a writer and director though. If I had to guess, I would say early next year on that front.

I am seeing some talk on Twitter of people reading Barbara Broccoli's comments as saying that Bond needs to reinvent itself to appeal to a 'Gen Z' crowd. Personally, I would love a Bond film in the vein of Euphoria. I wouldn't even mind if Sam Levinson directed and they cast cast Jacob Elordi as 007

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

They've actually had about 15 years to figure our what they were going to do post-Craig as we now know that DC let it be known that he wanted to kill off Bond right at the start of his reign. While the past 2.5 years must certainly have had more than their usual share of thumb-twiddling time, you can't help but wonder why they didn't start working on a post-DC plan almost from the start. Or maybe Babs was so smitten with DC that she just simply couldn't bear thinking of life without him until it actually happened.

While I admit to being very much a glass-three-quarters-empty guy when it comes to Bond right now, I do think they've got a bit of a struggle on their hands. A huge chunk of diehard Bond fans are very unhappy campers now. To win them back, Eon needed a quick, solid, palate-cleansing return for Bond. They needed to announce who the new Bond actor was within 6-9 months of NTTD and reassure the diehards that there would be a bright future for their favourite spy. Now that we know we're going to be waiting years not just for the next film, but even to know who the next actor is ("years" from the release of NTTD, that is), and Babs has spoken of a reinvention at a time when NTTD has left many diehards scratching their heads and wondering if anyone at Eon even has a clue what they're doing anymore, and with no evidence that NTTD created any new Bond fans or even particularly appealed to a younger audience, they've arguably got their work cut out for them like never before. This also means that their choice of the next Bond is more important than ever as there's no guarantee that the "James Bond" brand on its own will draw the masses into the cinema as it did in the past and therefore they may well be forced to hire a well-known actor to help with the draw rather than someone lower-key but possibly better-suited.

Just to make things even more interesting, there will be two Mission: Impossible movies coming out between now and the next Bond film, movies that will certainly have spectacular action scenes and great locations and quite probably no brooding backward reflections or Debbie-Downer storylines.

• JTBondJTBond Posts: 112MI6 Agent

I cannot understand the strategy behind delaying another film multiple more years. They had the perfect opportunity to have the next actor and film lined up during the COVID years and apparently did nothing with that time except sulk about Craig's departure. Even a 2025 release would mean one film had been released within the past 10 years. It's sad how sluggish this franchise has become since 2015.

edited July 2022

I don't mind Bond getting re-invented again (but I do care HOW he is re-invented), I expected to wait at the absolute minimum there years for Bond26, but I do mind that it sees they did nothing to prepare for Bond26 during Covid. I understand finding the road ahead is difficult and very important for the series so it's important not to rush it. But couldn't EON've hired a few writers to think of where to go next and what they would like to try. It would at least helped the prosess along.

edited June 2022

I guess hiring Purvis and Wade to think and maybe write something about the future of Bond is only natural. Maybe just general direction, maybe treatments for scripts. It would be a good idea to hire Phoebe Waller -Bridge to come up with ideas too. To explore a lighter, more RM-style Bond Jane Goldman would be good pick. Antony Horowitz could also offer some ideas about the future of James Bond. Imagine if those people had been sitting in their offices coming up with ideas for James Bond during the pandemic so EON had something to build on after NTTD was released. Wouldn't that be great?

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

None of us should be surprised by these comments. EON moves at its own pace, and that pace is S-L-O-W.

The part about re-inventing Bond is getting all of the attention, we could be reading too much into it. Could just be a common sense observation. After all, they killed Bond, so obviously they can’t just pick up where things left off.

As for casting someone really young to appeal to younger audiences, they might do this, but it’s not essential. Brosnan was already in his 40s in Goldeneye, but that film appealed to plenty of young people, including yours truly, who was the ripe age of 9 at the time and here I am pushing 40 commenting on a Bond fan page thanks to that film!

What we need is a charismatic Bond, not another pouting brute in shrink-wrapped clothing. If you build it, they will come.

edited August 2022

To explore a more thriller-style direction EON could do much worse than hiring Guy Hibbert (The United Kingdom Eye in the sky) to explore options.

Another would be David Farr. He has written "The man with the iron heart", Hannah, MacMafia and "The Night Manager".

Krysty Wilson-Cairns is my pick for BOND 26. She wrote 1917, Last Night in Soho and (the upcoming) Star Wars film with Taika Waititi. My other choices are Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Josh Singer.

Both are interesting choices.

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

EON is just waiting for Nolan’s schedule to clear.

...a brother from Sydney

I think they're waiting for a lot more than that ....

This was my opinion when I heard that production wouldn't begin till 2024. It seems that it would work with either these two guys' schedule.........

edited July 2022

Ridley Scott would've been perfect directing LTK.

Jacob Elordi does a really good English accent........Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiQZKLEAW4&t=7185s

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

Krysty Wilson-Cairns and David Farr. You couldn't go wrong with either. Why it takes EON two years (4 since NTTD wrap-up) to process these decisions, is beyond me. Obviously much to think about following the devisive in many quarters, less than favourable reaction to NTTD and popularity of MI and Top Gun Maverick.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Elordi seems like a better candidate for Bond the more we learn about him.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

Less than favourable reaction to NTTD? 🤔

Where do you get that from?

YNWA 97
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

Looks the part for sure (especially if they decide to go younger).

I wonder if his height (6'5") could be an issue?

(Please ignore the quote)

If you google images of the cast of Euphoria he's a head or a little more taller than the rest, but I don't think it's a problem. It mainly means casting taller henchmen and that shouldn't be too difficult. The way I see it his height creates more possibilities than problems. Now they can cast actresses who are close to six feet tall, something I suspect that was an issue with Craig.