Skyfall to screen in IMAX

Comments

• LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Booked my tickets to IMAX, in the gallery seating too (bar, and unlimited soft drinks and popcorn included B-) )

Only ever watched 1 film, many years ago in IMAX so v.much looking forward to Dan on a big screen -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Good news for our North American friends. The official James Bond Twitter account has tweeted that Skyfall will be released in IMAX a day early on Nov 8th.
    Thanks for the heads up I was expecting that so I already took the 8th & 9th off
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    An IMAX exclusive for US fans attending the opening night midnight shows. Those attending will receive an exclusive, limited edition print featuring Daniel Craig as James Bond. Click on the link below for a list of the participating theatres.

Skyfall 12:01 Participating Theatres
    http://www.imax.com/corporate/media-coverage/skyfall-1201-participating-theatres/

EDIT: This is what you will be getting for free.

_1350663812.jpg
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I'm confused. I keep seeing mention of the early release on Nov. 8, yet online I see listings as 12:01am Nov. 9. Is there supposed to be some places doing it at 12:01am Nov. 8?
    Mr Beech wrote:
    I'm confused. I keep seeing mention of the early release on Nov. 8, yet online I see listings as 12:01am Nov. 9. Is there supposed to be some places doing it at 12:01am Nov. 8?
    it's 1200am November 8th which is still considered Wednesday night November 7th. Fandango has it listed as Nov 7th on the droid app.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    it's 1200am November 8th which is still considered Wednesday night November 7th. Fandango has it listed as Nov 7th on the droid app.

Found it. The Fandango listing for my nearest theatre had the IMAX badge on the film tickets page, but then said there were no showings for Nov. 7 12:07 am (0:07 am is the premiere showing time at the theatres I've checked). I then did a search for SkyFall and found another listing for SkyFall as SkyFall: The IMAX Experience, which allowed ticket purchases on the Nov. 7 0:07 AM premiere and for the day of Nov. 8.

I'll be attending the IMAX showing at 1:00 pm Nov. 8, I think. Or that same showing the next day.

Which do you all think would be least crowded?
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Has anyone over in Britain seen "Skyfall" in IMAX yet? A spoiler free review of the IMAX presentations would be really nice. (Make sure you indicate whether it was Digital IMAX or 70mm film.......) -{

Over here in the States, the waiting is the hardest part (feels like everybody in GB is having a big "Skyfall" party and we weren't invited) :s :#
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    HowardB wrote:
    Has anyone over in Britain seen "Skyfall" in IMAX yet? A spoiler free review of the IMAX presentations would be really nice.

I have....it's still a bloody good movie...it was digital IMAX...and I've already done a spolier-free review of the movie...what are you expecting to be different in IMAX ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Has anyone over in Britain seen "Skyfall" in IMAX yet? A spoiler free review of the IMAX presentations would be really nice.

I have....it's still a bloody good movie...it was digital IMAX...and I've already done a spolier-free review of the movie...what are you expecting to be different in IMAX ?:)

Picture quality, sound, the different aspect ratio (2.0 to 1 v 2.35 to 1). How did the digital cinematography hold up on the extra large screen, etc. I'm aware that the consensus is that the film is great, I'm just curious as to whether the IMAX added to the experience....more film geek oriented stuff I guess.
    HowardB wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Picture quality, sound, the different aspect ratio (2.0 to 1 v 2.35 to 1). How did the digital cinematography hold up on the extra large screen, etc. I'm aware that the consensus is that the film is great, I'm just curious as to whether the IMAX added to the experience....more film geek oriented stuff I guess.

It's the first time I've ever seen a film on the IMAX screen...so I've nothing to compare it with that way....the picture held up very well...the odd blur aside...the sound was fabulous...I enjoyed the overall experience...

Like I said...first film in IMAX so I was surprised at how 'square' the screen was...the sound of the film was better than I remembered from a 'normal' screening - but I'm going again this afternoon to watch it on a 'normal' cinema screen...so I may have a better idea after that...
    YNWA 97
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the IMAX presentation. "Skyfall" was filmed in two aspect ratios, typical "scope 2.35 to 1" for regular theatrical showings and approx 2.00 to 1 to take advantage of the taller IMAX screen (the IMAX version as per Roger Deakins is not "cropped" but actually adds picture information to the top and bottom of the frame)....this probably explains the "square" looking screen.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    I'm seeing it at 9pm tonight at the London Imax at Waterloo, but does the film start at 9pm or the programme? Can you pm me?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I'm seeing it at 9pm tonight at the London Imax at Waterloo, but does the film start at 9pm or the programme? Can you pm me?

In Manchester the film time was shown as 8:30pm...but the actual film didn't start for another 15/20 mins...
    YNWA 97
    At my favorite local IMAX there is always a significant lag from the advertised starting time, even longer than regular films.
    Let's say the IMAX film is supposed to start at 9pm; first you get about three or four non-IMAX trailers, followed by the IMAX pre-show ballyhoo, followed by a couple IMAX trailers, then finally the actual film, maybe by around 9:20 or 9:25. I won't mind for "Skyfall" to me it's all part of the build-up....and then the Gun Barrel Walk (well I guess not) :s but that's another thread. :p :))
    Yeah, avoided the heavy product placement ads before the main film, unlike Odeon L Square I understand. Film started at 9.10pm they said, though it must have been 9.20. Good trailers.

In row H, bit too close. I know it's Imax, but it was too big for me, like being pressed up against a TV set. I'd advise further back in row M or N, though then you are looking down on the huge screen slightly, rather than up as in with a big cinema feeling. Then again, seats are tiered so doesn't matter if you have a tall bloke in front of you.

NB I'm talking about BFI Imax Waterloo in terms of seating!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    For seating at my local IMAX I literally sit dead center of the auditorium. Halfway back from the screen and center of the row, which puts me about eye level with the dead center of the screen and literally fits the entire width of the screen in my field of vision. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I pretty much sit in that same seat everytime....but hey, I want to get my $$$16.00 worth :D
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Why do I get the feeling I'm going to show up for the 00:07 IMAX showing a day early?

I bought tickets for the Nov.7 showing at 12:07am. So to me that means if I show up say 30minutes early it would technically still be Tuesday. And when the movie starts it will be after midnight making it Wednesday? sound right?

So what's this day early Nov.8 stuff about? Is it really Wednesday night into Thursday morning instead? I'm confused.
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    77007 wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling I'm going to show up for the 00:07 IMAX showing a day early?

I bought tickets for the Nov.7 showing at 12:07am. So to me that means if I show up say 30minutes early it would technically still be Tuesday. And when the movie starts it will be after midnight making it Wednesday? sound right?

So what's this day early Nov.8 stuff about? Is it really Wednesday night into Thursday morning instead? I'm confused.
    Was for me last night and it was outstanding! Great night/morning.

How the heck is 24 or 25 ever going to match that?
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Sitting in the IMAX theater now. Four people here so far.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Here is a Skyfall IMAX featurette with comments by Barbara Broccoli, Michael G Wilson, Sam Mendes, Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem. Also includes footage from the film.

Skyfall IMAX Featurette
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w0oKwNXQRgM#!
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Tomorrow @8pm in IMAX.......I will finally see "Skyfall" -{
    Just saw it. Looked great, and it is a marvelous film.
    Yeah, but what did the other three people think? :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Ended up being around 10 others total, which was nice in a pretty large theatre. I was the only one who stayed to the very end of the credits.

Heard a few pleased chuckles during the film, which is the kind of noise I was trying avoid by going at 12:45 PM on a Thursday. Grrr, humans.
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:

Ended up being around 10 others total, which was nice in a pretty large theatre. I was the only one who stayed to the very end of the credits.

Heard a few pleased chuckles during the film, which is the kind of noise I was trying avoid by going at 12:45 PM on a Thursday. Grrr, humans.
    Place was full when we were there at 1208am. Loved it when everyone applauded just because the DB5 appeared. Big applause at the end of the movie too.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    Place was also full for me in IMAX at 12:07 AM. I thought IMAX was great although it wasn't filmed in IMAX (says wikipedia).
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
    toutbrun wrote:
    Place was also full for me in IMAX at 12:07 AM. I thought IMAX was great although it wasn't filmed in IMAX (says wikipedia).

To be honest, I don't actually understand the benefit of filming specially in IMAX for most screening locations. From what I understand, it takes a pretty huge IMAX screen and a lack of re-mastering to make it clear to the audience that the film didn't utilize IMAX.

From what I've read, more films could offer the IMAX up-conversion and the more IMAX screen-filling 16:9-ish ratios if they felt like it. Many films, however, choose more obvious extra-wide ratios (and in the Batman films, it becomes obvious that they chose to swap back and forth between an extra-wide ratio and IMAX ratios).

As far as I understand, a film like Atonement or Cloverfield (which both are already in the 16:9 ratio but not IMAX) are certainly films that could have been set up for IMAX screening and would then have benefitted from the ratio it uses, and on home release, it would fill HDTVs fully. This sounds like a win-win to me. So why don't more films use 16:9 (even if they don't end up doing an IMAX conversion)? Why do some filmmakers make a big deal of using IMAX for their movies, when for most theaters it will not look like much more than a more screen-filling footage sequence when the IMAX scenes are spliced in, and on many IMAX screens, using that ratio and up-converting would have yielded spectacular results that are better for home release ratios as well?
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    It's mostly about image quality I think.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
    I went to see it last night at the 12am screening and again today at the 7pm screening. Both theaters were full. I am hoping that it sees similar success in the US as it did abroad!
    I actually believe that "Digital IMAX" despite the protestations of some is actually a superior medium for the presentation of "theatrical" films than 70mm film IMAX conversions. 70mm IMAX was never intended for regular theatrical films or films not photographed with actual IMAX cameras. As was pointed out by DP Roger Deakins, the Digital IMAX test footage for "Skyfall" looked fantastic while he was disappointed in the 70mm conversion which lacked resolution. Bigger is not always better as evidenced by films that were shot/formatted for either 2.35 to 1 scope ratio or 1.85 to 1 flat being blown up to an extra large horizontal 70mm film frame projected on an immense 3 stories tall screen with a 1.5 to 1 aspect ratio or even worse, on a huge domed screen.

What has given "Digital IMAX" a bad name is the marketing of a perfectly good/superior presentation medium as something it is not. The other issue that really compounds the problem is the compromise that IMAX has made regarding required screen sizes for Digital IMAX (which of course is motivated by the almighty $$$$). So that more multiplexes can convert auditoriums to IMAX, the minimum screen size required is 40' x 21' which IMO is way too small and not worth the extra ticket price.

Fortunately, my local Digital IMAX theater has a 70' x 36' screen. IMO the minimum for Digital IMAX should be 60' in width.

I am looking forward to finally seeing "Skyfall" tonight on that 70'x36' screen.