Film with Connery's best hair?

OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
I always noticed that in each Bond film he appeared, Connery's hair was a bit different. I didn't know until several years ago though that he wore a wig, which explained the change.

That being said, which one of his films from the official series was his hair the best in? I say Diamonds are Forever, actually. Looked nice and thick there.

connery_best_hair.jpg

Comments

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I liked his 'do in Dr No, the best.

large-dr-no-blu-ray8.jpg
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Dr. No easily has the best hair because Connery had the least amount of help then. As far as the full toupees go, DAF is probably the best.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    DN clearly. But YOLT had a great look IMO. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Thunderball for me, it's just simple and classy.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger for me...

IMG_2665.jpg

... although clearly Sir Sean doesn't agree :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    He managed to pull claudine auger with his tb toupee! That's a powerful hair piece right there
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    DN I would day was Connery's best hair too.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Regardless of how much was his own hair and what was a toupee I always thought his hair looked perfect in Goldfinger. Probably the best James Bond hairstyle of them all.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger. I actually don't like it in YOLT or DAF.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger for me. Bond has never looked better as he did in that film!

(M's office scene, the white tuxedo scene, the signature grey suit) His hairdoo is spot on in every single one of these scenes!

Im very happy to see the haircut style Connery had during these times is now acceptable and fashionable again in our current times. I've been rocking the modern day take on the Connery hairdoo for quite some years myself! B-) (Thanks to a great gentlemen's barber in my region and classic quality pomade !) - It sure aged so much better as those terrible haircuts Bond rocked during the 70'ies and 80'ies!
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I noticed recently on a UE DVD viewing of YOLT that Connery's hair has a brownish tinge, or rather his toupee has. I thought it strange considering how black it looks in DN-TB.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    NSNA - it was hell toupee for Connery! :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    ...And quite literally, too (pay). The hairpieces Sir Sean wore for NSNA were incredibly expensive, costing much more than all his previous ones put together.
    As an aside, the rug he was wearing in the rehearsal sequence for the elevator fight in DAF (seen in the special features) was far better than what he wore in the film itself- I'd like to know what caused the change.
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    The only problem is that in Goldfinger it looks like a toupee, but the style is great. Dr. No looks good as well of course because it is for the most part his hair.
    Oakvale wrote:
    The only problem is that in Goldfinger it looks like a toupee, but the style is great. Dr. No looks good as well of course because it is for the most part his hair.

I agree. I liked the GF look a lot for a while, but that probably was because it was the first Bond film I ever saw. Now I just don't see it as a natural look at all. At least in TB and YOLT there's no fake hairline.
    DN- own hair, proven by wet scenes eg when decontaminating
    FRWL- own hair, with some help by scalp painting + hair thickeners
    GF- toupee
    TB- different toupee, often absent due to large amount of wet scenes
    YOLT- as above , though fewer wet scenes
    DAF- worst toupee, only absent when he swims with Bambi & Thumper
    NSNA- good toupee, especially underwater!

It should be noted that Connery, unlike many actors, never made any secret of wearing a wig for certain parts (such as 007) and happily discarded the hairpiece off and frequently on screen. Indeed his Oscar-winning role didn't require one, and he's never worn a toupee off-screen.
    Barbel wrote:
    DN- own hair, proven by wet scenes eg when decontaminating
    FRWL- own hair, with some help by scalp painting + hair thickeners
    GF- toupee
    TB- different toupee, often absent due to large amount of wet scenes
    YOLT- as above , though fewer wet scenes
    DAF- worst toupee, only absent when he swims with Bambi & Thumper
    NSNA- good toupee, especially underwater!

I think there are some volcano scenes in YOLT (with Kissy) with Connery's natural hair. It's not too jarring.

Why don't you care for YOLT's toupee?
    I think you mean DAF...?
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    While I think "Goldfinger" rates at the top of Connery's Bond films the toupee he wore in that film is the worst.

However his toupee is different in the cafe/"unfinished business" part of the pre-title sequence. That rug looked better than his own hair.
    Barbel wrote:
    I think you mean DAF...?

Yes, apologies.
    Well, part of the reason is that his naturally greying hair doesn't match the artificial hair- an easy problem to solve (as was done on NSNA) but no-one bothered. The hairline presented neither matched what we had seen earlier (YOLT) nor what could have been anticipated.
    As I said earlier, the toupee worn in rehearsal would've been a better choice. Subtlety was lost. In DAF, Bond might as well have been carrying a sign saying HELLO I'M WEARING A WIG whereas in earlier films there was an element of believabity.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    As noted above I think this will always be the quintessential Bond haircut. I was perplexed that Craig only had a similar side part styled when he was in a dinner jacket in both SF and SP, wish he kept the side part the entire films like Connery.

image.png
    As noted above I think this will always be the quintessential Bond haircut. I was perplexed that Craig only had a similar side part styled when he was in a dinner jacket in both SF and SP, wish he kept the side part the entire films like Connery.

image.png

The problem with this hair is that it's just a block sitting on top of his head.
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, part of the reason is that his naturally greying hair doesn't match the artificial hair- an easy problem to solve (as was done on NSNA) but no-one bothered. The hairline presented neither matched what we had seen earlier (YOLT) nor what could have been anticipated.
    As I said earlier, the toupee worn in rehearsal would've been a better choice. Subtlety was lost. In DAF, Bond might as well have been carrying a sign saying HELLO I'M WEARING A WIG whereas in earlier films there was an element of believabity.

Ah gotcha, it's not the toupee that looks bad necessarily, but the sudden thickness and color. Especially considering Connery was appearing sans toupee on late night TV all the time.

Perhaps had that been the toupee used in Goldfinger or Thunderball it would have worked better.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    ...And quite literally, too (pay). The hairpieces Sir Sean wore for NSNA were incredibly expensive, costing much more than all his previous ones put together.

That conjurs up an imagine: a Bond toupee compiled from all his previous rugs! It reminds me of a scene in Steptoe and Son when Harold and his dad are arguing about new wallpaper for the house using a big sample catalogue, and his old man suggests sticking all the square pieces together and bunging them up. 'You would, wouldn't you?' replies Harold, appalled. 'I don't mind it looking awful when it costs nothing, it's when it looks awful and costs a fortune that I object,' replies his old man.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    :))
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I quite like the look of Connery's toup in YOLT. Actually, the only rug that really bothers me is the DAF version. What a mess! However, he recovered years later with the hair he wears in NSNA. That one suits him well.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I quite like the look of Connery's toup in YOLT. Actually, the only rug that really bothers me is the DAF version. What a mess! However, he recovered years later with the hair he wears in NSNA. That one suits him well.

What do you dislike about the DAF toup'?

The NSNA hair is very realistic.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    For me Connery's best hair was in DAF. All thick and curly. I am talking chest hair obviously ;)

Sean_Connery_and_Jill_Saint_John_DIAMONDS_ARE_FO.jpg
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    For me Connery's best hair was in DAF. All thick and curly. I am talking chest hair obviously ;)

Sean_Connery_and_Jill_Saint_John_DIAMONDS_ARE_FO.jpg

In that case you will love Zardoz!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad