Film with Connery's best hair?

Comments

• Doctor WhoDoctor Who Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Bond's hair should've thinned out a bit by YOLT.
    The part where I stopped believing it was his actual hair was in the beach scenes with Domino in TB. It is very obvious that he's wearing a hair piece.

Well, if we're talking in universe, it is clear that Bond is going slowly bald. Each wig, if you notice, the hairline gets slightly higher. By YOLT, he's no longer wearing it long on top. He's cut it short. They say when you're going bald, cutting your hair short will hide the thinness and make it look thicker than it is.

Compare:
    02de4ce0e539a06b942aee237aec5653--bond-issue-sean-connery.jpg

to

maxresdefault.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I still say YOLT had the best hair (piece). :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I did not know that Sean Connery wore the wig as James Bond until i read this!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Thunderball is the undisputed king of connerys hair pieces. Just think the abuse it had with all that water and it looks good too in fact I'm sure dc channels this look in qos
    20170810_101842.jpg
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    What interests me most is how widely known it was back in the 60's that Connery wore a wig, both as Bond and in some of his work pre-Dr.No (he's clearly using one in On the Fiddle/Operation Snafu).

Watching the Connery Bonds on TV as a kid it honestly never occurred to me until Diamonds Are Forever, at which point everyone knew anyway. IIRC there is mention of the Connery toupee in Kingsley Amis's hilarious spoof guide The Book of Bond or Every Man His Own 007 - a book I took completely seriously when I read my local library's copy when I was about ten years old!

For the record, I like Connery's hair for the first three films - from Thunderball onwards the Bond barnet starts to let the side down.
    I think in Dr No big Seans hair was all his own, I may be wrong??
    I always thought it was his actual hair in Dr.No, but then I saw some other work of Sean's from around the same time as Dr. No, in which he's clearly wearing a rug (On the Fiddle) or is starting to sport a higher hairline and comb-over (The Frightened City).
    Have a look at Barbels post# 17 of this thread.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Here he is during the time of From Russia with Love, and I don't think he's wearing a toupee:

03439dd3f30915fd0ba8598c7a21a138.jpg

With the proper haircut, proper shampoo and some scalp paint, a toupee was not needed for the effect seen in the film.

And here he is with the wrong shampoo at the time, probably after filming From Russia with Love:

sean_connery_1963_rmartinirossi.jpg
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    One things for sure, his hair went very quickly, he had a full head during the tarzan film which is 1959, but by the hill in 65 it was much thinner though still mostly there. Pictures of him in 68 show him looking very balded.
    Can't say as I agree with his assessment. Attached are a couple of pics of Connery being fitted for his Bond suits and shirts which give a better idea of his hairline when the first two movies were shot. Somehow his hair was made to look much thicker and fuller for Dr. No. We may never know exactly how - official secrets act and all that!

1549280627.jpg

160802-anthony-sinclair-mr-fish-british-large.jpg
    Chriscoop wrote:
    One things for sure, his hair went very quickly, he had a full head during the tarzan film which is 1959, but by the hill in 65 it was much thinner though still mostly there. Pictures of him in 68 show him looking very balded.

He was able to pass without a toupee in parts of YOLT.
    At least his Bond toupees were generally quite good. This one he wore in 1969's Shalako was terrible! Can't find a good still of it, but here's a couple of comparison pics of SC with and without. Thankfully he keeps his hat on for most of the film, so we're spared the dreadful wig!

Shalako_1.jpg

shalako_3.jpg
    Matt S wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

He was able to pass without a toupee in parts of YOLT.

That's remarkable!
    20170810_163927.jpg

1967 on set of yolt
    20170810_164307.jpg

1968!!

20170810_164000.jpg

All in all though it's pretty obvious he didn't wear a hair piece in Dr No
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:

I think you must just watch that to see honey all wet and soapy you dirty dog you ;)
    I think it's more likely his scalp was dyed, allowing him to wear it in a longer style.
    ? More likely than what, Ian?
    The hill 1965, and Big Sean having a haircut, which pretty much backs up that he was toupee free in Dr No
    20170810_170310.jpg
    Chriscoop wrote:

I think you must just watch that to see honey all wet and soapy you dirty dog you ;)

Not since I realised she was wearing a bathing suit! :#
    Here's Sean in 1961's The Frightened City, looking (you can tell better in the film itself) slightly more thin of hair than in Dr. No. Connery is great in this one, by the way - it's his equivalent of Daniel Craig's Layer Cake!

Frightened_City_1.png

emotionheader5807879947.png
    IanFryer wrote:
    Here's Sean in 1961's The Frightened City, looking (you can tell better in the film itself) slightly more thin of hair than in Dr. No. Connery is great in this one, by the way - it's his equivalent of Daniel Craig's Layer Cake!

Frightened_City_1.png

emotionheader5807879947.png

I'm seeing shorter hair not thinner hair.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    The hill 1965, and Big Sean having a haircut, which pretty much backs up that he was toupee free in Dr No
    20170810_170310.jpg

Looking at this and the below picture of Sean and claudine at a tb promo I'm also thinking he had limited need for hair help in tb also.
    20170810_171328.jpg
    Barbel wrote:
    ? More likely than what, Ian?

Sorry, some posts came through while I was writing my reply. My theory is that SC had his scalp dyed for Dr.No, rather than wear a toupee.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    20170810_170310.jpg

Looking at this and the below picture of Sean and claudine at a tb promo I'm also thinking he had limited need for hair help in tb also.
    20170810_171328.jpg

Cubby was old school Hollywood, where a wig was slapped on a leading man at the first sign of hair thinnage - the likes of Humphrey Bogart and James Stewart used one (each!) for large parts of their career.
    IanFryer wrote:
    My theory is that SC had his scalp dyed for Dr.No, rather than wear a toupee.

No toupee in DN. Possibly some scalp painting, agreed- definitely by FRWL.
    IanFryer wrote:
    Cubby was old school Hollywood, where a wig was slapped on a leading man at the first sign of hair thinnage - the likes of Humphrey Bogart and James Stewart used one (each!) for large parts of their career.

By the time of Goldfinger, a wig was probably a lot easier than the amount of work it took to make his hair look full.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Here he is during the time of From Russia with Love, and I don't think he's wearing a toupee:

03439dd3f30915fd0ba8598c7a21a138.jpg

With the proper haircut, proper shampoo and some scalp paint, a toupee was not needed for the effect seen in the film.

And here he is with the wrong shampoo at the time, probably after filming From Russia with Love:

sean_connery_1963_rmartinirossi.jpg

That picture of Sean grubbing on pasta is easily the funniest thing I've seen this week!
    I think his Hill hairdo is similar in length to Danny's SF cut- just trimmed slightly different.
    I actually think his Cuba toupee might have looked decent for NSNA. It was very Goldfinger in the hairline.
    He certainly had a fine pompadour in 1957, around the time he appeared in Time Lock
    sean-connery-1957-a-rather-young-looking-sean-co.jpg

sean-connery-1957-_B4_XN45.jpg
    Not looking so good in this picture from a 1957 BBC production of Requiem for a Heavyweight - the false nose doesn't help! :))
    connery.jpg