Bond Book of the Month

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Soaking in my bath earlier, I re-read "Risico". A Bond novel in miniature, which Fleming could quite easily have stretched into a full-length novel in its own right with a little effort*. Good characters (Kristatos, Colombo, Lisl) and action scenes- the chase through a minefield is one of the few Fleming story elements not as yet adapted for a film (Bond and his pursuers are on foot, not in hovercrafts :D ).

* in much the same way the film makers have done, perhaps, with Fleming short stories or story elements. Or as Horowitz is in the process of doing with unpublished material.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Reading Moonraker again this morning, just finished
    The card game with Drax -{ Wonderful stuff.
    Also received my audio book of Trigger Mortis, to add
    To my audio collection.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    I recently reread Moonraker as well. My father was a professional Bridge player, but I've always hated the game. That being said, Fleming's description of the card game is the best portrayal of Bridge I've ever read.
    -{ I love the card game section of Moonraker. Also once again, Fleming writes very strong women. Gala is a professional
    Police woman , who Bond points out could break his arm more easily than he could her's. It's she who Talks Bond out of
    A suicide mission, with a better idea, all this in 1955. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Just bought from google books the Audio book
    Of 50 years of Bond read by Roger Moore.
    Looking forward to having Roger chat with me
    About the history of 007 . -{
    Just finished "Bond on Bond" read by the late Sir Roger -{
    Not much new infomation but great fun, to simply listen
    to him relate his experiences as 007.
    In anticipation of "Forever and a Day " I've re-read Trigger Mortis. -{
    Still enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the new book.
    Colonel Sun. Up next. One of my favourite continuing
    Novels. With a brutal ending -{
    Col Sun describes some of his experiences in the Korean war, in the North. After Trigger Mortis, I could help but imagine another young villain making his way south. :D
    The torture and escape section of Col Sun is fantastic, brutal but Bond armed with
    only a knife, handing out justice is a great bit of writing. With the juxtaposition of
    Bond making certain a young lad, is put ashore before the action kicks off, as He
    doesn't want an "Innocent" involved with his profession of Death. Proving again that
    Bond is a warrior not a mindless cold blooded killer.
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    On your recommendation, I'm going to read Colonel Sun. I've got a Pan paperback from 1970 which has been sitting there for a long time.

I'm sure I read CS a very long time ago, but I can't remember much of it. I was very young at the time, so I might have been hoping for something resembling the movies. Amis was steeped in Fleming lore at that time, so I'm sure it'll be interesting.
    Forever and a Day ( SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, BIG SPOILERS. ) !!!!!

The book is well written, the first half very much in the Fleming style. A couple of twists but nothing
    the reader won't have worked out well in advance. The action sequences are extremely well done, with
    one torture sequence making your skin crawl ( Now where Have I read that chapter heading ) ;)
    The leading lady is interesting another Vesper in many ways, a similar "Hurt" back story.
    The villains are all very good and the story has a few "Odd" characters making it feel Flemingesqe.
    My only big gripes with it are .... Bond doesn't kill the main couple of villains, they are done away with either by another or nature, and the Big plot is..... well if you've seen LALD, then you already know it.
    None the less it's a great follow up to TM. Mr Horowitz has ( In my opinion ) done a brilliant job, I hope he gets another and another ...... shot at writing.
  • Alex1995Alex1995 France/GermanyPosts: 339MI6 Agent
    edited June 2018
    Hi all, do you have any comment on the re-edition of 007 Diaries?
    The book written by sir Roger on Live and let die shooting.
    1.GE 2.FRWL 3.CR 4.FYEO 5.LALD 6.TSWLM
    7.GF 8.TLD 9.TND 10.SF

"Where’s Fekkesh?” “Pyramids.” *thwap* “AHHHHHHH!”
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Alex1995 wrote:

I remember enjoying the book when I read it 30 years ago. Waiting for the rerelease to arrive next week.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    12-_Ian-_Fleming-_James-_Bond-007-_Audio-_Book.jpg
    Nice jumble sale find for £2.50. In car entertainment sorted for a while!
    edited June 2018
    Nice find -{ I enjoy the Bond audio books. Convert them on
    The laptop to get them downloaded to your phone or tablet. I
    Spend many happy hours walking the dog, with Bond in my
    Ears. ;)
    Alex1995 wrote:

I remember enjoying the book when I read it 30 years ago. Waiting for the rerelease to arrive next week.

Finally one week holiday!

No need for further activities :007)

-> DSC_1502.jpg
    7.GF 8.TLD 9.TND 10.SF

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed reading it. Have fun :007)
    edited September 2018
    Im still reading live and let die diary. A lot of fun and nice anecdotes!
    But today my wife, curious as she is, read one paragraph over my shoulder. The wrong one... 8-)

P153
    "I had a very special lady to lunch today, my daughter, Deborah, who told me that when she grows up she is going to take over from me, I could retire and she would keep me.
    I don't quite see her as 007, but she seems keen to get her screen career started. She stood hugging my hand by the side on the set and whispered up to me:
    ' Can't we go on the set and do a real movie kiss?' "

Interrogation from my wife "she is his daughter, right ?!"

Thank you Sir Roger, my wife takes me for a perv now :))
    7.GF 8.TLD 9.TND 10.SF

Caught SOLO on the BBC radio player, and enjoyed it much more
    Than reading the book :)) . I received today a collection of John
    Gardner Bond audio books and immediately started listening to
    Licence Renewed. -{
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Caught SOLO on the BBC radio player, and enjoyed it much more
    Than reading the book :)) . I received today a collection of John
    Gardner Bond audio books and immediately started listening to
    Licence Renewed. -{

It was great wasn't it. I also enjoyed it more than the book. It really came alive on the 'Wireless' Patterson Joseph got the tone spot on.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Just finished Licence Renewed ( again :)) ) and was struck
    By how many boxes Gardner ticked with his first Bond
    Novel. The larger than life villain, with dangerous henchman.
    The maiden needing to be saved, the torture/interrogation
    Scene, even Bond crashing his car. As well as all the favourite
    Bond in M's office sequences
    Now to reread one of my Favourite Gardner Bonds.....
    ... For Special Services.
    ( although technically I'm listening to it ) ;)
    For Special Services:
    This must be Gardner's " Thunderball" a huge epic criminal
    Scheme. With some great characters, and I'd love to see
    The snake cage execution in a Bond movie. -{
    I'm now re-reading Icebreaker. The start of Bond working
    As part of a team, which sadly became a recurring theme.
    Thought this might be interesting, some of the guns
    J Gardner equipped Bond with in his books.
    https://youtu.be/c2mhhJN4jKc H&K p7 from Icebreaker
    https://youtu.be/0Wq5_3rkqd8 H&K vp70 from For Special Services
    https://youtu.be/8us_bIciJ04 Browing 9mm from Licence Renewed
    https://youtu.be/-c_0I4BjOWE ASP 9mm which became
    Bond's personal weapon.
    Only noticed when re-reading Moonraker, that in Blades before the card game M orders a half
    bottle of the 34 Mouton Rothschild, which is also what Scaramanga serves to Bond in the film
    of TMWTGG or at least as Bond says " Slightly reminiscent of a 34 Mouton "
    Re-reading Goldfinger at the moment, and noticed in the early part of the story
    Bond himself says ( to himself ) " Regret is unprofessional "
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I must get back into re-reading Fleming, it's been a few years now and definitely time for me to refresh the memories.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    I must get back into re-reading Fleming, it's been a few years now and definitely time for me to refresh the memories.

That is exactly what I was thinking a few months ago Barbel, and I've been listening to a few of the Bond novels on audiobook recently. So I listened to FRWL and DN and it felt great getting back to Fleming, and as always I was reminded of details that I'd completely forgotten, or that I had completely overlooked before. One strange detail that stood out was that I had previously thought that Miss Taro was a character invented for the film of Dr No (and this is probably because the Inside Dr No documentary actually says that) but there she was in the book, where I had totally failed to notice her before. Of course they did a lot more with her character in the film, but she wasn't an invention of the screenwriters.

I've got a few other books on the go at the moment (now including Some Kind of Hero which I received yesterday after ordering it online) but in the near future I plan to listen to the audiobooks of Thunderball and On Her Majesty's Secret Service which I have already purchased on Audible.
    I'm a big fan of audio books as I don't know why but I
    Just don't seem to have the time to sit down and read
    Anymore.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Time is certainly a factor...with that in mind I would love to have an audiobook of Some Kind of Hero, but I don't think it has been recorded (unless someone can tell me differently).

Another benefit of audiobooks is that for some reason different details sometimes stand out to me and linger in my memory when I listen to an audiobook that I might gloss over when reading off the page.