26

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Higgins wrote:

But when he was offered the 7 movies deal, the pay would have been significantly better?

Yes, as Sir Miles said. above Lazenby's pay would have increased. It was a good deal.

27

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

7 lazenby movies???? Jeez.

I jokingly call the movie On Her Lazenby's Secret Service (pronouncing his name wrong).

28

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

No moore Bond actor puns to be sean at this tim.

29

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Barbel wrote:

tim.

ajb007/amazed  ajb007/amazed  ajb007/amazed

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

30

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

ajb007/lol did that pierce you?

31

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

ajb007/lol  like a sting into my balls  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

32

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

broadshoulder wrote:

Theres a scene with him charging into the room at the end and he has to glance about him. Its look left. Its look right.

Exactly that situation, but in another scene. When he enters Gumbold's  office and looks left and right, he is totally fake. Perhaps, as you point out, because from a certain point he had no direction from Hunt. It didn't help that they weren't on speaking terms. That can explain why in the day to day scenes (entering a room and the like) he's worse than in the key scenes. Luckily there's a lot of action too, and Lazenby was great at action.

33

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You can f*ck up looking left then right ?  ajb007/amazed
I'll have to watch OHMSS again to pick up
On these subtle  nuances, I've been missing.  ajb007/lol
I've read some harsh comments abut Brosnan
But honestly,  to criticize for not being able to
Look left or right,  This must be a turning point
In the world of" Film critics"   ajb007/lol or perhaps the term
Clutching at straws, might be better. If that's how far
You have to go to find fault in a movie, you REALLY
Are looking for faults!  ajb007/lol  you might add, Lazenby
Uses a different knot on his shoes for a couple of
Sequences.  ajb007/rolleyes

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

34

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

It's actually quite difficult to look left and right when facing a camera as you have to avoid looking at the camera as you're doing it, and therefore avoid looking like you're trying to avoid the camera.  Experienced actors do it naturally without making it look like they're doing it.  So much so that you don't notice at all or even consider it something that needs skill doing.  Many programmes and films actually avoid these scenes from that camera angle as it's such a difficult thing to film naturally.  I see a lot of actors now blink for longer than necessary when passing the camera area, thus avoiding looking at it.  It's an easy way to do it, but looks slightly unnatural too.

Last edited by Asp9mm (21st Dec 2014 21:12)

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

35

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Thunderpussy wrote:

You can f*ck up looking left then right ?  ajb007/amazed
I'll have to watch OHMSS again to pick up
On these subtle  nuances, I've been missing.  ajb007/lol
I've read some harse comments abut Brosnan
But honestly,  to criticize for not being able to
Look left or right,  This must be a turning point
In the world of" Film critics"   ajb007/lol or perhaps the term
Clutching at straws, might be better. If that's how far
You have to go to find fault in a movie, you REALLY
Are looking for faults!  ajb007/lol  you might add, Lazenby
Uses a different knot on his shoes for a couple of
Sequences.  ajb007/rolleyes

That is only one example TP. The devil's in the details. The nuances of a performance are key to the believability of a character, maybe more so than the big moments. That's where Lazenby fails. And rightly so, he was not a professional actor.

36

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Thunderpussy wrote:

You can f*ck up looking left then right ?  ajb007/amazed
I'll have to watch OHMSS again to pick up
On these subtle  nuances, I've been missing.  ajb007/lol
I've read some harsh comments abut Brosnan
But honestly,  to criticize for not being able to
Look left or right,  This must be a turning point
In the world of" Film critics"   ajb007/lol or perhaps the term
Clutching at straws, might be better. If that's how far
You have to go to find fault in a movie, you REALLY
Are looking for faults!  ajb007/lol  you might add, Lazenby
Uses a different knot on his shoes for a couple of
Sequences.  ajb007/rolleyes

Apologies,But the question was asked if there were any faults with this film?

This was the best we could do

ajb007/crap  ajb007/crap  ajb007/crap

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

37

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Asp9mm wrote:

It's actually quite difficult to look left and right when facing a camera, as you have to avoid looking at the camera as you're doing it.  Experienced actors do it naturally without making it look like they're avoiding the camera area.  So much so that you don't notice at all or even consider it something that needs skill doing.

+1

38

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I don't think anyone will disagree with me but I'm
Obviously a bit thick, as Lazenby for me does a terrific
Job, I personally can't fault him, for me he's perfectly
Fine.  ajb007/biggrin , I really can't see what you guys can .
( I'm NOT, saying you're wrong, just that I can't see these
Faults )  ajb007/biggrin so long as you keep watching it  ajb007/martini .
But I'll back off and leave you guys to discuss all these glaring
Faults, I'd hate to have any more pointed out to me. ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

39

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

It's just his overall perfomance we're discussing. I like it too, but I can see inconsistencies. Perfectly normal for an amateur actor with no experience.

40

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

ajb007/cheers  No problem Virgil37, I'm just counting myself lucky
That I'm so into the Bonds, that maybe, I can't see any
Faults, and my default position is to defend them.  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

41

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yep, same in the case of TLD and LTK  ajb007/rolleyes
That borders in blindness on your side  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

42

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

ajb007/insane

43

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Shouldn't you be out looking for a girlfriend ?  ajb007/tongue   ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

44

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/cheers  No problem Virgil37, I'm just counting myself lucky
That I'm so into the Bonds, that maybe, I can't see any
Faults, and my default position is to defend them.  ajb007/lol

ajb007/cheers  I perfectly understand TP. I love MR, I can't help it...

45

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

OHMSS is an absolutely superb film both enhanced and let down by Lazenby.  But the good Lazenby far outweighs the bad.  I'd take his performance of Tim, Rog and especially Brozza anyday.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

46

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

[*]This movie is said to be one of the most authentic to Fleming's writing[/*]

4/5

OHMSS was the first novel Fleming wrote after seeing Dr No. I'm guessing that he wrote it with a screen treatment in mind.

47

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

There are some points where he tries to copy Connery and in those moments, I'd rather have Connery.  But when he actually was being himself, I enjoyed his acting.

48

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Watched OHMSS last night - last viewing was Xmas 2014.

Pros:

PTS
Titles
Music
Bond - M meeting and resignation
Reminiscing in Bond's office
Romantic interlude with Armstrong song
Office break-in
M at his house
Piz Gloria and scenery
Ski Chases
Meeting Tracy at the ice rink
Proposal in the barn
Bobsleigh chase
Marriage
The Ending
Bond - Tracy - Draco - M - Moneypenny - Bunt - Blofeld

Cons:

Ruby - just cannot take to the accent (sorry Northerners  ajb007/crap ) - not a Bond type girl.
Dubbing of Lazenby.

Observations:

So the fact that Blofeld does not recognise Bond is probably the most talked about event in the movie - my take on it is that during the titles the clock face moves backwards and this shows that this movie actually takes place before YOLT.

Conclusion:

This ranked number 1 on my old list and once again attains top spot in my new updated list - I don't think that any other in the series will make me change my mind but we shall see.
The casting of this movie is superb - along with FRWL this one is definitely the strongest in that department. Irma Bunt is a fabulous character reminiscent of Klebb and Telly Savalas is without doubt the finest Blofeld of the series.
Lazenby was superb in his first (and subsequently) last outing - he bought a whole new range to the character - a Bond who is ruthless but at the same time vulnerable and sentimental - I only wish he had signed up for more and changed the course of Bondian history.
John Barry delivers his finest score ever, I can never tire at listening to the soundtrack (yes, even Christmas Trees  ajb007/biggrin ).
Peter Hunt knows his Bond - he directs with assurance and his respect for the novel is up there on the screen.
I wish they had not dubbed Lazenby at Piz Gloria that was pointless
In my opinion this is the perfect Bond movie.

CHB will return reviewing DAF soon  ajb007/biggrin

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

49

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

CoolHandBond wrote:

Ruby - just cannot take to the accent (sorry Northerners  ajb007/crap)

No problem....it's NOT a Northern accent  ajb007/lol

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

50

Re: Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Sir Miles wrote:
CoolHandBond wrote:

Ruby - just cannot take to the accent (sorry Northerners  ajb007/crap)

No problem....it's NOT a Northern accent  ajb007/lol

Indeed, it's not!  ajb007/lol

However, I agree with the sentiment that OHMSS is definitely (one of) the best film(s) of the Bond franchise.