Iron Man

arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
edited May 2008 in Off Topic Chat
The loss of Roger Michell is the principle reason why Eon/Sony have scrapped the 8th of May 2008 date but does anyone think that Jon Favreau's Iron Man film (scheduled for the 2nd of May 2008) may have had something to do with it too? Iron Man is not the most well known comic-book character (and by no means a surefire hit) but speaking personally (and much as it pains me to say it) it would probably have more appeal to me than a Daniel Craig James Bond film.

I used to love the blurb at the start of the comic: When multi-billionaire industrialist Tony stark, inventor extradordinaire, dons his solar-charged, steel-mesh armor, he becomes a high-tech warrior-the world's greatest human fighting machine! Stan Lee presents...the invincible Iron Man! I'll certainly take a peek when the film comes out.

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I'm somewhat stoked about this project but if it isn't done right in terms of casting and especially the costume, it could end up being as disappointing as Daredevil was to me.

I've never forgiven them for not staying true to DD"s costume. :(
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    Arthur, I don't know if EON is afraid of Iron Man just right now. The production is still very much a big question mark and there are very few confirmed facts when it comes to that movie. Anything's possible of course but if EON pushed back Bond because of shellhead at this early stage of development, then they're even more insecure than I thought they were.

An Iron Man movie holds much more interest than another Craig as Bond outing for me as well. I was a HUGE Iron Man fan back in the 70's; that was one of my favorite books and I have often wished it would be made into a movie. Marvel lost me during the 80's and they almost killed the whole book when they turned Stark into a villian and had him replaced by his younger self... ?:) :s :(

I don't know what to make of the new movie though. John Favreau is not the first person that comes to mind when I think about who I'd want helming an Iron Man movie. As Rogue says, it'll depend on the story, the cast, and how the suit looks. More than almost any other hero, with Iron Man the costume really does make the hero.
    I don't have alot of faith in Favreau, Tony. Certainly not my first choice for this project.

I do remember back in the 90s that Cruise wanted to do IM and even play Stark(bad move).

I collected the John Romita Jr run on this back in 78-79 when I thought the character was at his height then...not so glamorous nowadays but we'll see...

It's going to take a heck of an effort to make this standout bigtime.

I hear ya. I'm hoping for the best but also setting my expectations really, really low so as to minimize any disappointment.

I read that the Mandarin will be the villain. Now I know he one of his oldest enemies but I never really cared for the mix of technology and mysticism. I would have much preferred a more conventional foe like the Melter or Firebrand (both wouldh have allowed for some good old fashioned hand to hand carnage), and maybe have one of Stark's business rivals like Justin Hammer pull the strings behind the scenes. But the Mandarin? I just don't know. ?:)
    Mandarin would work; I just think you approach Iron Man in the Chris Nolan fashion.

I mean Stark is a tortured figure with the alcoholism and heart condition. If this film is too fantastical I'll easily be turned off. I don't want a campy redition of this.

It was rumoured that Oded Fehr would be cast; he has a striking likeness to Stark but just a tad to slight in build...I guess that wouldn't matter when you're encased in pounds of metal.

I hadn't heard the Oded Fehr rumor; I like him but I wonder if he can lose the accent?

I also read in an interview with Favreau that they won't deal with the alcoholism in the first movie. They'll show Stark enjoying his drinks but the issue will not be tackled head on until a "later film".

By the way, slightly off topic, do you remember a TV pilot movie from the late 70's called Exoman? It was about a cop who was paralyzed while on the line of duty but managed to build an exo-skeleton suit for himself that gave him super-strenght, allowed him to walk again and thus fight crime. It was for all intents and purposes a poor-man's Iron Man. Ironically enough, Tony Stark was also rendered paralyzed some years later in the comic. As a 12 year old kid, I ate it up; but I wonder how it would hold up today.
    TonyDP wrote:
    I hadn't heard the Oded Fehr rumor; I like him but I wonder if he can lose the accent?

Well more than likely he can. I mean he was the voice of Dr. Fate from the JLU cartoons. My biggest concern will be if they could mask those unusally shaped ears of his. :))

Other than that, he worked out fine in the role.
    I also read in an interview with Favreau that they won't deal with the alcoholism in the first movie. They'll show Stark enjoying his drinks but the issue will not be tackled head on until a "later film".

If this attempt doesn't tank. 8-) That lets me know that someone doesn't quite know how to weave something that associated to IM in a script. But no big deal I guess...
    By the way, slightly off topic, do you remember a TV pilot movie from the late 70's called Exoman? It was about a cop who was paralyzed while on the line of duty but managed to build an exo-skeleton suit for himself that gave him super-strenght, allowed him to walk again and thus fight crime. It was for all intents and purposes a poor-man's Iron Man. Ironically enough, Tony Stark was also rendered paralyzed some years later in the comic. As a 12 year old kid, I ate it up; but I wonder how it would hold up today.

Yes, I vaguely remember this...as well as M.A.N.T.I.S. so to speak.

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Ah! Iron Man...my favorite! A movie is well overdue, and perfectly suited for today's SFX technology. I was a big fan of the mag in the eighties (loved the 'Iron Wars' saga, even though I didn't care for the 'new' armor). The last I had heard was that Cruise wanted to make the movie, and I almost cried myself to sleep that night! :(

I like the idea of the not tackling his alcoholism right out of the gate. It's a much more interesting idea to see Stark slowly deteriorate into the mess he had become. Getting to know Stark 'the good guy' makes seeing Stark 'the alcoholic' much more tragic.

I heard one comic fan rant about how stupid Iron Man was as a hero. He couldn't accept the idea that a man who made a fortune off of manufacturing munitions and military technology would ever dawn a costume to fight crime. Good grief...it's a comic book, for a crying out loud!
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    There is an early sketch on here:

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23965
    edited September 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    I heard one comic fan rant about how stupid Iron Man was as a hero. He couldn't accept the idea that a man who made a fortune off of manufacturing munitions and military technology would ever dawn a costume to fight crime. Good grief...it's a comic book, for a crying out loud!

Never underestimate the passion of the fanboy darenhat, they'll run you into the ground over the most innocuous of perceived offenses.

I hope they get this one right too; he's a great character and deserves a good adaptation. I'm still not convinced about John Favreau's ability to pull it off; I don't think there's anything in his resume to suggest he can steer a multi-million dollar franchise building film. But if nothing else, the teaser poster at the recent Comic Con looked promising. We'll see what happens.
    There is an early sketch on here:

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23965

That's the teaser poster. Accoridng to Favreau, Stark's armor goes thru several transformations during the movie, starting off looking similar to the original grey suit and gradually becoming sleeker and more refined as the film progresses.
    edited September 2006
    That comic poster means nothing at this point. I'll consider it a small victory if they can fashion anything remotely similar to what he wears now. I just have the feeling that once again they'll come up short here.

I'm a fan of the Keron Grant version.

I'm praying that Favreau does his homework with this. I mean you can't goof this up. It would be wise to tack on a comic book afficienado to help along and keep mishaps to a minimum...

I'm honestly more excited to see Captain America return prominently to the big screen...

Which I wanted to ask without getting too far off of topic; how are people in other countries like Europe receiving Cap? Is he considered too un-PC in these dreadful times? Would he do well boxoffice -wise overseas?

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Which I wanted to ask without getting too far off of topic; how are people in other countries like Europe receiving Cap? Is he considered too un-PC in these dreadful times? Would he do well boxoffice -wise overseas?

I don't think anybody around here (at least in Hungary) would find him offensive cause he is pretty much unknown. But dressing up as an American flag is not the best way to smash the box-offices at the moment, no matter who you are or what superpowers you have...
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I don't think anybody around here (at least in Hungary) would find him offensive cause he is pretty much unknown. But dressing up as an American flag is not the best way to smash the box-offices at the moment, no matter who you are or what superpowers you have...

Just what I figured....Thanks, Cat.

That's a shame since he's such an awesome character. I think that if it was done tastefully some foriegners might forget "art imitating life" for at least a couple of hours...

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Just what I figured....Thanks, Cat.

The problem is I could say the same thing for Iron Man (sans dressing up as a flag). If it weren't for my strange obsession with Hostess Fruit Pie ads, I'd have absolutely no idea who he was.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    I've noticed in some recent issues of Iron Man (and also The Avengers, and some Spidey comics), but Tony Stark has been drawn to look remarkably like (the 1980's era) Timothy Dalton, with a moustache of course.
    Now, I'm not sure that casting the great Tim Dalton would be the best move (as unfortunately the general public haven't embraced him as much as they should) but I do think the producers should look towards casting another former 007 as Tony Stark... Pierce Brosnan.
    That is unless Pierce has already been cast as Dr Strange or Mandrake The Magician (but that's another story).
    Another thing I would like to see in the Iron Man movie is an actual suit. I've had it up to here (point's fingers at receeding hairline) with CGI action heroes, and I believe that a real life Iron Man suit could look even more amazing on screen than any CGI could (plus it would make a great collectable movie prop!).
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'm honestly more excited to see Captain America return prominently to the big screen...

I used to love reading Captain America. My only feeling about a film is that the character might seem slightly anachronistic set in the present day. In the earliest edition of Captain America I have Cap is not Steve Rogers but US Agent John Walker (anyone remember him?). I have a vague memory of watching some terrible low-budget Cap film on video with JD Salinger's son (!) as Steve Rogers.

I used to love the way they had this metal in the Marvel universe called Adamantium (sic?) which was unbreakable. So Wolverine's bones were adamantium and Cap's shield was adamantium, etc.

I think he might be a bit old for Tony Stark but I think Pierce Brosnan would have been a great Reed Richards.

I didn't know Tony Stark became a baddie :s The last thing I remember is Tony stark using an encephalo-helmet :)) to live in an Iron Man suit after mysteriously losing control of his nervous system during a fight with The Living Laser. It happens to everyone at some point.
    edited September 2006
    asio wrote:
    I've noticed in some recent issues of Iron Man (and also The Avengers, and some Spidey comics), but Tony Stark has been drawn to look remarkably like (the 1980's era) Timothy Dalton, with a moustache of course.
    Now, I'm not sure that casting the great Tim Dalton would be the best move (as unfortunately the general public haven't embraced him as much as they should) but I do think the producers should look towards casting another former 007 as Tony Stark... Pierce Brosnan.
    That is unless Pierce has already been cast as Dr Strange or Mandrake The Magician (but that's another story).
    Another thing I would like to see in the Iron Man movie is an actual suit. I've had it up to here (point's fingers at receeding hairline) with CGI action heroes, and I believe that a real life Iron Man suit could look even more amazing on screen than any CGI could (plus it would make a great collectable movie prop!).

If you've ever seen any of Alex Ross's Marvel comics paintings he always uses Timothy Dalton as his model for Tony Stark. At 60 I think Dalton is too old and unfortunately, the same goes for Brosnan. But I agree that Stark is a Bond-like character and as such, any actor who could likely appear Bondian could probably handle Tony Stark as well.
    I didn't know Tony Stark became a baddie :s The last thing I remember is Tony stark using an encephalo-helmet :)) to live in an Iron Man suit after mysteriously losing control of his nervous system during a fight with The Living Laser. It happens to everyone at some point.

I hate it when that happens. :))

This was, I believe, around the same time as the whole Spiderman / Scarlett Spider clone mess. Marvel have made some really bizarre editorial decisions over the years and some of their stunts for upping sales have been beyond belief. Definitely not a high point in Iron Man's four color career.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Did anyone else have that anniversary edition of Iron Man where he went back in time to Arthurian Britain with Dr Doom? I loved that comic (although perhaps not the best introduction to the character!).
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    This sounds like a boring movie. I mean, two hours of looking at a guy who may have lost his mind, who might be able to see or might be blind. Sheesh, can he walk at all? Or if he moves might he fall? We don't even know if he's alive or dead, or if he has thoughts within his head!

Well, maybe the movie will pick up once Iron Man kills the people he once saved. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing those heavy boots of lead filling his victims full of dread. That'll teach 'em to turn their heads!

. . .Wait: we are talking about the same Iron Man, aren't we? ?:)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    This sounds like a boring movie. I mean, two hours of looking at a guy who may have lost his mind, who might be able to see or might be blind. Sheesh, can he walk at all? Or if he moves might he fall? We don't even know if he's alive or dead, or if he has thoughts within his head!

Well, maybe the movie will pick up once Iron Man kills the people he once saved. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing those heavy boots of lead filling his victims full of dread. That'll teach 'em to turn their heads!

. . .Wait: we are talking about the same Iron Man, aren't we? ?:)
    :)) Classic. The Sabbath tune entered my head almost automatically. Which, as all guitar players my age might as well inform you - one of the first things we learn to play. (well, that and Smoke On The Water)

But back to Stark enterprises. Never really was a huge fan of Iron Man, give me the penniless underdog whose meager paycheck barely pays for his webbing cartridges anytime. Can't really relate with a billionare's problems. No offense folks, just not my type. Probably pass on this one.
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    If it weren't for my strange obsession with Hostess Fruit Pie ads, I'd have absolutely no idea who he was.

This one's for you, Cat!

ironman4.jpg
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    words wrote:
    Did anyone else have that anniversary edition of Iron Man where he went back in time to Arthurian Britain with Dr Doom? I loved that comic (although perhaps not the best introduction to the character!).

I have that one and enjoyed it very much.I only own a few runs of the Iron Man comic book but the one that most attracted me was the group written by David Michelinie and drawn by Bob Layton during the 1980s.Not only did IM go back in time,but in the course of the regular series, he later became a kind of cross between James Bond and Bruce Wayne.And he had a Bond-like villain in the ruthless Justin Hammer(a Peter Cushing lookalike).

Iron Man can be a great character, but as with every other comic book hero,it all depends on the level of interest of the creative team producing the stories.The right screenwriter could probably make him as compelling as Batman.
    The right screenwriter could probably make him as compelling as Batman.

You know I love you, W.G. but Stark can NEVER be as compelling as Bruce Wayne/Batman. :D

To be honest, although I'm an avid comic book follower, I don't even know what compelled Stark to fight crime. I mean what drove him to it? Take away the bad heart and the copious intakes of Jim Beam or Beefeater and he's rather dull...

RogueAgent wrote:
    To be honest, although I'm an avid comic book follower, I don't even know what compelled Stark to fight crime. I mean what drove him to it? Take away the bad heart and the copious intakes of Jim Beam or Beefeater and he's rather dull...

As I recall from his origin in the 60's, didn't he take a guilt trip over the death of the scientist who saved him and helped him build his suit in the first place when he was captured? I can't remember specific names and places (Korea maybe) but I seem to remember him regretting making weapons of war and then vowing to fight any despot who would subjugate innocent men...or something like that.

As for the movie, they'll probably update the locale (probably set it in the middle east) but I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation is along the same lines: guilt at being a glorified gunrunner followed by attempts at absolution. Hardly original, but can still be compelling if written correctly.
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

As I recall from his origin in the 60's, didn't he take a guilt trip over the death of the scientist who saved him and helped him build his suit in the first place when he was captured? I can't remember specific names and places (Korea maybe) but I seem to remember him regretting making weapons of war and then vowing to fight any despot who would subjugate innocent men...or something like that.

As for the movie, they'll probably update the locale (probably set it in the middle east) but I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation is along the same lines: guilt at being a glorified gunrunner followed by attempts at absolution. Hardly original, but can still be compelling if written correctly.

Thanks, Tony. To be truthful, I can't wait to see how this plays out in the production months ahead. Hopefully this will make me forget about how Marvel short-changed Daredevil cinematically...

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Wow, Darenhat, I didn't realize Iron Man was doing those old Hostess ads! Still, he can't beat ol' Supes as the biggest sellout of them all. Here's one of about half a dozen Hostess ads he did:

And what's with those aliens?  Are they from the Planet of the Kerouac-Loving Beatniks or something?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited September 2006
    WHOA! I didn't realize Hostess had such a huge brain-washing agenda! They fall just short of declaring Hostess snacks as one of the four basic food groups!
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I remember as a kid buying comics in the UK and being fascinated by those Hostess ads in Marvel & DC titles. We didn't have Hostess products in the UK at that time and the Hostess Twinkie (I think it was called) was something I was desperate to try. Probably not half as nice as they made it look...
    edited September 2006
    This film is already off to a questionable start! X-( ?:)

Robert Downey Jr. Is "Iron Man"
    Posted: Friday September 29th 2006 12:07am
    Source: Assorted Sources
    Author: Garth Franklin

Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in his first big-budget action movie - the comic book adaptation "Iron Man". Jon Favreau is directing the movie, which will be distributed by Paramount Pictures in May 2008 reports the trades.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity.

Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world. Principal photography is set to begin in February.
    Previous Article || Related News || Submit a Scoop || Ret

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060929f.php

I mean he's a good actor but not for this role; although I believe he can play up the substance abuse part required of Stark... :D

I read this myself, I'll be curious to see if it's confirmed. I'm not wild about Downey as Stark either (never really liked him as a actor). Between getting Favreau to direct and (possibly) Downey to star, this is getting more bizarre and offbeat by the day.