Iron Man

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I keep holding out hope that the '70s costume will make a comeback though... :))

Only in the video game Rogue, only in the video game. ;)
    edited January 2007
    Looks like Stan Winston will be creating the armor for the upcoming Iron Man film. Good move I think as he has a long history with practical mechanical effects. Have a read:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/755/755672p1.html

And Gwyneth Paltrow has joined the cast as Pepper Potts.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/755/755965p1.html
    edited January 2007
    I picked up Marvel's Invincible Iron Man DVD today; it's a straight to video animated movie . In light of the in-development live action movie, I thought it would be fun to see what Marvel came up with.

The plot goes something like this: Young industrialist Tony Stark undertakes a project for the Chinese government to raise an ancient sunken city. In doing so he unwittingly revives 4 Elemental warriors and sets the stage for the return of the Mandarin, an evil warlord from ancient Chinese lore who possesed great and terrible powers. While Stark is dealing with this matter his father and the board of directors at Stark Enterprises move to take control of the company away from him. Upon realizing what he as done, Stark uses his experimental exo armors to confront the Mandarin and regain control of Stark Enterprises.

We get to meet a lot of Iron Man's supporting cast including Jim Rhodes and Pepper Potts. We also see quite a few armors including one insprired by his first 4 color appearance, as well as the traditional red and gold suit and an underwater model.

The pace of the show is pretty slow (especially for an animated movie) and there are really only 4 scenes in which Stark dons his armor. The tone is also pretty dark - quite a departure from Marvel's other animated comics movies - there are even a few pretty violent deaths. A lot of Iron Man's lore like his origin, the injury to his heart, and the boardroom politicking for control of Stark Enterprises is glossed over very quickly and quite different from the books. In particular, the reason for the creation of the armors is quite different. The final confrontation with the Mandarin is also something of a letdown.

The animation is a blend of traditional hand drawn art (all the characters have that elongated look to them) and CGI enhanced scenes when Stark goes into action with the armors. His battles with the Elementals are especially well done and have a nice three-dimensional look to them. In an interesting departure from the comics, the armors are quite huge and when Stark suits up, he towers over most of his opponents and looks quite imposing. I wouldn't mind seeing the live action movie go this route with the armor design.

Overall I thought the movie was good if not great. My big problem with it was all the mystical and supernatural elements thrown into the story, which I feel don't really work particularly well given the high-tech nature of the character. Still, it's definitely worth a rental for Marvel or Ironman fans.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    I hope they tread carefully if they decide to ever go the 'Mandarin' route on the big screen---I much prefer Iron Man as a military-industrial complex story vehicle...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I hope they tread carefully if they decide to ever go the 'Mandarin' route on the big screen---I much prefer Iron Man as a military-industrial complex story vehicle...

From what I've read, the Mandarin will be the villain in the live action movie as well; and that does concern me to a certain extent. Hopefully they'll keep the character more grounded in our world. Like you, I think Iron Man works best when he's in a high-tech /quasi military-industrial environment; if you're going to add mysticism to the formula, then you may as well do a Dr. Strange movie instead.
    edited January 2007
    I suppose it would be fine if the Mandarin is simply done as a Chinese business rival, with competing combat armour, B-) as that would take it in an industrial-espionage direction, which I would much prefer...

And I share your concerns about a supernatural-meets-high tech* premise...

*My fears are multiplied, as I just typed that logline, because I just realized: "Oh my God, that's probably how it was pitched!" :o
    edited January 2007
    I suppose it would be fine if the Mandarin is simply done as a Chinese business rival, with competing combat armour, B-) as that would take it in an industrial-espionage direction, which I would much prefer...

And I share your concerns about a supernatural-meets-high tech* premise...

*And my fears are multiplied, as I just typed that logline, because I just realized: "Oh my God, that's probably how it was pitched!" :o

Well, director John Favreau said he wanted to focus on the high tech and heavy weapons; and no Mighty Morphin Power Rangers stype Kung Fu moves so I'm cautiously hopeful. Besides, any movie with Gwynyth Paltrow can't be all bad.

So, what are the chances that Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa will play the Mandarin? He seems to have a monopoly on Asian villains these days. :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    Well, director John Favreau said he wanted to focus on the high tech and heavy weapons; and no Mighty Morphin Power Rangers stype Kung Fu moves so I'm cautiously hopeful. Besides, any movie with Gwynyth Paltrow can't be all bad.

Amen to that {[] The remark by Favreau is encouraging. There's potential here for something really cool...and I'm actually happy about Robert Downey Jr's casting. He certainly has the 'natural chops,' so to speak, to play Stark as a flawed, self-haunted hero.
    edited January 2007
    Here's a largely positive review of the Iron Man animated DVD courtesy of IGN; also has plenty of stills from the feature:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/759/759049p1.html
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:

Amen to that {[] The remark by Favreau is encouraging. There's potential here for something really cool...and I'm actually happy about Robert Downey Jr's casting. He certainly has the 'natural chops,' so to speak, to play Stark as a flawed, self-haunted hero.

I'm slowly starting to agree, Loeff; Favreau,to me at least, is still a question mark.

I've seen interviews with Marvel editor Joe Quesada talking about this perhaps being the biggest film project coming from them...stating that it may even rival the established Spiderman franchise.

Now that's a HUGE leap of faith.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I've seen interviews with Marvel editor Joe Quesada talking about this perhaps being the biggest film project coming from them...stating that it may even rival the established Spiderman franchise.

Now that's a HUGE leap of faith.

I think part of the reason for all the hyperbole is that Iron Man is the first film being financed by Marvel and appearing under their Marvel Films banner. As such, they want to trumpet it as much as possible to show that they are a viable and legitimate studio in their own right.

Hopefully, they can back up the bravado because I really want this to be a good movie. On a very selfish and personal level, Iron Man was probably my favorite character when I was a little kid and I love to see them do it justice, if only for the nostalgia factor.
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I love to see them do it justice, if only for the nostalgia factor.

I'm clinging to some hope of this as well. :)

Looks like Jeff Bridges has been added to the cast as a long time confidante of Stark who plays a pivotal role in shaping the character. Not sure who he maps to in comics continuity. Looks like Favreau has assembled a really strong cast of actors for this one. Still no word on who will play the Mandarin. Tagawa or Watanabe, anyone?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/761/761733p1.html
    TonyDP wrote:
    Looks like Jeff Bridges has been added to the cast as a long time confidante of Stark who plays a pivotal role in shaping the character. Not sure who he maps to in comics continuity. Looks like Favreau has assembled a really strong cast of actors for this one. Still no word on who will play the Mandarin. Tagawa or Watanabe, anyone?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/761/761733p1.html

That's good news, Tony; thanks for posting. For me. at least, I prefer Tagawa-more menacing.

Wantanabe is too closely associated with fake Ra's. ;)

edited February 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    That's good news, Tony; thanks for posting. For me. at least, I prefer Tagawa-more menacing.

Wantanabe is too closely associated with fake Ra's. ;)

Tagawa would make a great Mandarin (ever see him as Sang Tsung in Mortal Kombat?) but I don't know if he'd fit in with this cast that Favreau is assembling. Watanabe on the other hand has the name recognition right now that would benefit a movie like this. Can't think of anyone else right off the top of my head. John Lone was very good in The Shadow but I haven't seen him in anything in years.

Still, all things considered, I'm liking how this movie is shaping up more and more. I really hope they start filming soon, if only to bring home the reality that this is actually in production.
    Cary Tagawa reminded me of Mandarin when I went to the theatre to see The Phantom years ago.

I don't know if he'd like to be typecast in such roles but he plays the villian real bada**!

"Finish him!"

There's a new article over at IGN that summarizes the state of the Iron Man movie to this point. The description of the armors sounds really good; I'm looking forward to seeing some stills soon. There is also some more info on Jeff Bridges' character and some interesting speculation on the Mandarin character (possible spoilers if it turns out to be true). Have a read:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/764/764305p1.html
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:

The main setting will be the West Coast rather than Stark's comic book homebase of New York City.

Well, maybe I'm being unfair in saying this but I don't like it. The endearing thing I've always liked about Marvel characters is the fact that they circulated mostly from NEW YORK CITY. Stark Industries, Avengers Mansion...Jarvis are all in New York. Why shun my home state? X-( At least fake the dynamic.

It's got to be an issue of costs I'll bet...

I remember going to a comic con here last year and talking to Thomas Jane who was a guest celeb and I asked him was The Punisher sequel going to be NY-based this time around. He assured us all that it would. That film was good but Castle doing his dirty work out of Florida watered it down for me so much.

edited February 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

The main setting will be the West Coast rather than Stark's comic book homebase of New York City.

Well, maybe I'm being unfair in saying this but I don't like it. The endearing thing I've always liked about Marvel characters is the fact that they circulated mostly from NEW YORK CITY. Stark Industries, Avengers Mansion...Jarvis are all in New York. Why shun my home state? X-( At least fake the dynamic.

I remember going to a comic con here last year and talking to Thomas Jane who was a guest celeb and I asked him was The Punisher sequel going to be NY-based this time around. He assured us all that it would. That film was good but Castle doing his dirty work out of Florida watered it down for me so much.

FF, Spidey and Daredevil as well...and Xavier's school, not far away in Westchester...ah well. I live in Illinois, so I've never been spoiled by having a bunch of superhero types living next to me...I have to settle for Abe Lincoln ;)

It puts a bit of variety in the Marvel films, anyway. You might be right about cost, but they can fake anything these days...

Be cool if Iron Man could make a suborbital jaunt into Asia for a faceoff B-)
    If it's any consellation, Loeff... Batman Begins films in Chicago...partly. :D

RogueAgent wrote:
    If it's any consellation, Loeff... Batman Begins films in Chicago...partly. :D

True :)) You've got to take your urban decay where you can find it...
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

As Loeffs said, I really think part of the rationale here is to differentiate IM from the other Marvel films, most of which take place in New York. Personally, I don't mind the change in locale. Anybody as filthy rich as Stark would have skyscrapers on both coasts.
    edited February 2007
    The Hulk I can see outside of the city limits because he was always deemed as a wanderer of sorts but at least make the connection with IM and NY.

Besides, there's too much "sun" out there. :))

I happened to catch Robert Downey Jr. on the Oscar telecast last night. He looked to be in quite good shape and the tux, goatee and mustache definitely gave him a Tony Stark vibe. I can definitely see him pulling this off now. He also had one of the best lines of the night, poking fun at his own past drug and alcohol issues.

Oh, and Gwyneth Paltrow didn't look too shabby either, lots of nice curves. :x
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    I happened to catch Robert Downey Jr. on the Oscar telecast last night. He looked to be in quite good shape and the tux, goatee and mustache definitely gave him a Tony Stark vibe. I can definitely see him pulling this off now. He also had one of the best lines of the night, poking fun at his own past drug and alcohol issues.

Hmmmm...how fitting.

ironmandrunk.jpg

I hate I didn't get a chance to check it out being that I was swamped in my studio room all evening long... I would've loved to have seen the dynamic.

Downey Jr's acting chops may just do a great job in this though.

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm with Tony- he looked the spitting image of Stark at the Oscars.

I preferred Penelope Cruz to Paltrow, though.
    edited February 2007
    I'm not so much worried about Downey's aptitude to pull off the role as I am the quality of Marvel-based comic films. With the exceptions of Spidey & The X-Men(give or take a sequel) flicks, the rest are poorly done...

RogueAgent wrote:
    I'm not so much worried about Downey's aptitude to pull off the role as I am the quality of Marvel-based comic films. With the exceptions of Spidey & The X-Men flicks, the rest are poorly done...

The one potential saving grace here is that this is the first movie Marvel is financing themselves. If they want to be taken seriously as a legitimate movie studio then it's in their best interest to put out a quality product right out of the gate. They've also got some major talent on board both in front of and behind the camera so the film should at least look good.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Hey, on an unrelated note, I've just ordered Marvel Civil War 1-7 on eBay. Anyone read MCW?
    Hey, on an unrelated note, I've just ordered Marvel Civil War 1-7 on eBay. Anyone read MCW?

I haven't read it but I head they made Iron Man a bad guy ... again. 8-)