Iron Man

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm looking forward to reading it. Also finally read the concluding two books of Bruce Wayne: Fugitive. Man has it taken me a long time to collect and read those.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Hey, on an unrelated note, I've just ordered Marvel Civil War 1-7 on eBay. Anyone read MCW?

I haven't read it but I head they made Iron Man a bad guy ... again. 8-)

I really don't care for Civil War and I know quite a few people who share my sentiment with this. Maybe I'm too old school. Yeah, IM is sort of a heel...again. 8-)

On a lighter note, the Marvel fanboys at work here have started up with me again on who exactly is the wealthiest of the two: Wayne or Stark. It doesn't make their day until they can win an arguement for the sake of making my DC bias look inferior. :))

I let them mount their reasons as to why Stark's pockets were fatter then I pulled this out on them courtesy of the Forbes Fictional 15:

The Forbes Fictional 15
    #7 Wayne, Bruce

Net Worth: $6.8 billion
    Source: Inheritance, Defense
    Marital Status: Single
    Hometown: Gotham City, U.S.A.

Wealthy playboy has been a cipher on the social scene this year, but fortune soared as government bought Wayne's gadgets to combat alien invasion. Gotham real-estate boom, driven by dropping crime rate, also helped. Watched parents gunned down at age 8, returned to Gotham at age 25, assumed control of Wayne Enterprises. Lives in stately Wayne Manor despite municipal worries about giant sinkholes underneath. Seems to have abandoned previous habit of dating supermodels and heiresses. Rumors continue to swirl over long-time habit of keeping teenage boys as wards. Member since 1939.

-- Matthew Herper

The Forbes Fictional 15
    #8 Tony Stark
    11.20.06, 2:00 PM ET

Net Worth: $3.0 billion
    Source: Defense
    Marital Status: Single
    Hometown: New York, N.Y.
    Education: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S.

Family-controlled Stark Industries now a top defense firm thanks to invention of indestructible alloys, repulsor rays. Armored superhero "Iron Man" is personal bodyguard and corporate mascot. Boy genius went to M.I.T. at 15; inherited family business at age 21 after parents died in car crash due to faulty brakes. Bought brake firm, fixed flaw. Has world's most advanced artificial heart, designed by self. Recovering alcoholic; incorrigible playboy. Prominent philanthropist; big donor to Republican Party. Member since 1963.

–Matthew Herper

:v Case closed...but they'll be back. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    I really haven't followed the comics closely in years but from the sound of it this Civil War thing seems be taking things a bit too far. The Superhero Registration Act sounds a lot like the Mutant Registration Act. Tony Stark's a heel again. And Spiderman reveals his secret identity - which goes against every reason he ever gave for having one in the first place. I smell a major reboot / housecleaning storyline somewhere down the road at the House of (Bad) Ideas.

As to Wayne vs. Stark, here's another argument for your fanboy friends Rogue: Tony Stark was always in danger of hostile takeovers and losing Stark Industries to his board of directors - I remember him hitting the bottle over that a few times. Bruce Wayne on the other hand has always had a majority controlling interest in Wayne Enterprises so he's never had to worry about anybody coming in and taking over. How's that for fanboy rationalization.
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    I really haven't followed the comics closely in years but from the sound of it this Civil War thing seems be taking things a bit too far. The Superhero Registration Act sounds a lot like the Mutant Registration Act. Tony Stark's a heel again. And Spiderman reveals his secret identity - which goes against every reason he ever gave for having one in the first place. I smell a major reboot / housecleaning storyline somewhere down the road at the House of (Bad) Ideas.

As to Wayne vs. Stark, here's another argument for your fanboy friends Rogue: Tony Stark was always in danger of hostile takeovers and losing Stark Industries to his board of directors - I remember him hitting the bottle over that a few times. Bruce Wayne on the other hand has always had a majority controlling interest in Wayne Enterprises so he's never had to worry about anybody coming in and taking over. How's that for fanboy rationalization.

I just told them, Tony; I don't think I need to tell you that they didn't take it well... :))

All the time with these guys. One of them has a statue of Cable on his desk...They're Marvel-entrenched. :))

RogueAgent wrote:
    I just told them, Tony; I don't think I need to tell you that they didn't take it well... :))

The truth always hurts. :))
    All the time with these guys. One of them has a statue of Cable on his desk...They're Marvel-entrenched. :))

Cable?? Is he even still around? I thought he peaked back in the 80's. And you can tell them I said that. {:)
    Cable had his own comic back in the 90s for a good while but I couldn't get into it.

I'll have to show them what you said otherwise they wouldn't believe me. :))

Just read all of MCW, it was pretty intriguing, it would have been better had I not already known all of the spoilers, but nonetheless it was pretty cool.
    There's a very short interview with Jeff Bridges over at IGN in which he confirms that he will be playing Obidiah Stane in the Iron Man movie. In the comics, Stane was one of Stark's business rivals and also once donned his own armor to combat Shellhead. It'll be intersting to see how he figures into the movie.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771762p1.html
    There's a brief article over at IGN - taken from director John Favreau's myspace page - about the first week of filming on the Iron Man movie. Apparently the start of the film is set in Afghanistan, where Tony Stark is captured and must create his first armor to escape from his captors.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/773/773860p1.html
    Here are some Iron Man desert set photos I stumbled upon. Here's the link:

http://screenrant.com/archives/iron-man-desert-set-photos-626.html

RogueAgent wrote:
    Here are some Iron Man desert set photos I stumbled upon. Here's the link:

http://screenrant.com/archives/iron-man-desert-set-photos-626.html

Thanks for the link Rogue - if nothing else, this confirms filming is underway. I'm really itchin' to see some shots of the armors; hopefully it won't be long before something starts to pop up.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Interesting that Stark Industries is apparently based in Downey, California. It's been several years since I was last there, but if I remember correctly, that's not exactly the best place to locate a multi-billion-dollar firm! (Though having weapons there would come in handy. . .)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Courtesy of IGN, here is the first glimpse of Iron Man's Mark I armor from the movie. Very, very close to the armor as it was during his first appearance back in 1963. Not particularly sleek, but then again, it's not supposed to be at this point in its evolution. I'm liking it.

iron-man-20070411114247484.jpg
    THANK you for the explanation of what this was, Tony. I thought that was supposed to be his final armor the first time I saw it! I was dreading that, but now I know it is only the prototype or so to speak.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Wow :o

They have my attention B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    THANK you for the explanation of what this was, Tony. I thought that was supposed to be his final armor the first time I saw it! I was dreading that, but now I know it is only the prototype or so to speak.

Yeah, in the comics Tony Stark cobbles his first armor together from spare parts after he is captured, so the look is very distressed and rough. Over time it evolves into the sleek red and gold version. So in that respect, this seems to be following the four color history pretty closely. Here's a pic of Randy Bowen's statue of the original gray Iron Man. As you can see, it's pretty close to what the movie gives us, right down to the slanted eye sockets.

ironman_grey_big.jpg
    Very cool! Impressive what you can do while captured...

:)) Good one.

In the comics, the warlord that captured Stark and another scientist wanted them to build him a weapon to help subjugate his enemies and, being the gullible type, supplied them with some of Stark's gear and other armaments. When the warlord figured out what his prisoners were up to the scientist (I can't remember his name) sacrificed himself to buy Stark the time he needed to finish the suit and make his escape. His guilt over causing a good man's death caused Stark to confront and defeat the warlord and the rest is, as they say, history.

I have a sneaking hunch his origin in the movie will be along these lines as well. But the important thing is that these initial photos and snippets of plot that we've gotten all look and sound very good, to me at least.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent

Indeed- you'd think he was related to the A Team in some way! :D
    In other Iron Man news, Leslie Bibb - Ricky Bobby's "smokin' hot" wife from Talladega Nights - has landed the part of a reporter. Click the link for more info and a nice glamour pose of Ms. Bibb.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/779/779725p1.html
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    Although Downey wasn't my first pick, I'm really pleased with how this is coming together. That early armor prototype is simply fantastic, and is the kind of element that only someone who wants to really be faithful to the premise would keep.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    nice this movie looks like it could be shaping up to be a real contender
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    TonyDP wrote:
    Courtesy of IGN, here is the first glimpse of Iron Man's Mark I armor from the movie. Very, very close to the armor as it was during his first appearance back in 1963. Not particularly sleek, but then again, it's not supposed to be at this point in its evolution. I'm liking it.

iron-man-20070411114247484.jpg

Looks promising- I just hope that the buck doesn't stop with this prototype for the duration of a couple of hours. Excitement for me at least is stirring on this project.

Bring on the red and gold look! B-)

edited April 2007
    Okay, now I know I'm excited... B-)

First look: Downey forges a bond with 'Iron Man' role

He is Iron Man: Robert Downey Jr.'s struggles with substance abuse echo the problems faced by the character he'll play.

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
    LOS ANGELES — Robert Downey Jr. is hardly the obvious choice to play an iconic crime fighter.
    After all, this is the guy who became a poster boy for Hollywood excess, serving a year in prison on drug and alcohol-related charges and checking in and out of rehab like it was the Four Seasons.

But it is exactly that past, says director Jon Favreau (Elf), that makes Downey the only choice to play playboy millionaire and recovering alcoholic Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, the comic-book superhero who hits multiplexes next year.

"We didn't want to just go with a safe choice," Favreau says from the set of the film, due in theaters May 2, 2008. "The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye. He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark. Robert brings a depth that goes beyond a comic-book character who is having trouble in high school, or can't get the girl. Plus, he's simply one of the best actors around."

For his part, Downey is trying to become an iron man. At 42, he lifts weights five days a week and practices martial arts to get in shape to play the hard-bodied Stark, an arms manufacturer who uses his ultimate weapon, a jet-powered, missile-launching suit of armor, to fight evil.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Paramount Pictures | Robert Downey Jr | Jon Favreau | Iron Man | Robert Downey Jr. | Avengers
    More important, Downey says, he's been working on his emotional stamina since coming out of rehab in 2002. His supporting roles in Good Night, and Good Luck and Zodiac have earned critical raves.

And anchoring a big-budget summer film such as Iron Man could go a long way toward cementing that return.

"I'm more diligent than I used to be," Downey says. "I want to show Jon he was right to have faith in me. Whatever questions might have arisen about my life weren't issues with him."

Nor with many fans, says Rob Morley of Comics2Film.com.

"Fans need the heart of the comic to be in" the movie, he says. "Tony Stark had a substance abuse problem. He was built up and torn down many times. I think when people heard Robert Downey was going to play the part, there was actually a big relief."

Downey knows a thing or two about comics, and he can get downright geeky when discussing them. He prefers Marvel to D.C. comics. He liked Iron Man, "but mainly through his appearance with Avengers." His favorite early heroes, he says, were the relatively obscure Sgt. Rock and Sgt. Fury.

It wasn't until Downey matured that he came to appreciate the man in the iron suit.

"He struggles with his lifestyle, he struggles with the drinking," Downey says of Stark. "He faces the same issues a lot of people do."

ironmanx-large.jpg

Interesting interview. I like the tone of it.

Don't understand what those 'sequins' are on Stark's muscle shirt, makes him look a bit, shall we say, flamboyant?
    darenhat wrote:
    Don't understand what those 'sequins' are on Stark's muscle shirt, makes him look a bit, shall we say, flamboyant?

I've known for years in the comics, that Tony Stark has a bad heart. Perhaps he constructed some type of pacemaker being kidnapped and away from his heart pills? Just guessing...

RogueAgent wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

I've known for years in the comics, that Tony Stark has a bad heart. Perhaps he constructed some type of pacemaker being kidnapped and away from his heart pills? Just guessing...

That's probably exactly what it is; I wouldn't even be surprised if the "sequins" are placeholders for some optical effect to be inserted later.

Everybody involved is certainly talking the talk and I'm really looking forward to this one. Favreau and Downey seem to have a good handle on the material and the pics look better and better - Downey is the epitome of Stark in that photo, right down to the moustache and goatee.

Right now, my biggest concern is that a little film called Indiana Jones IV will steal Iron Man's thunder; but I'm hoping that Iron Man will be high profile enough that it won't get lost in the shuffle.
    Iron Man Director Gives an Update!
    Source: the reel chris April 29, 2007

Iron Man director Jon Favreau has updated his MySpace Iron Man group blog with the following:

I just got back in town. The company has been on the road for many weeks. We started off in the mountains of Lone Pine which doubled for Afghanistan. We then moved to Edwards Air Force Base. We finally closed out the out of town work with Fontana, CA. Let me confirm a few things: The movie will contain both the gray suit and the gold and red. The light you see in the photo on Robert's chest in the USA Today article is the chest piece glowing through his shirt. He is in captivity and forging the mask of the Mark 1. Both suits have been built practically by Winston Studios and are busily at work as we speak.

Follow the link for more info on the suits and what Favreau’s plans are for ComiCon.

Iron Man hits theaters in 2008!

Ah! Thanks, Rogue. That explains the 'sequins'. It was just as Tony suspected. (I personally keep needing to remind myself that we live in a CGI age when it comes to filmmaking.)
    edited May 2007
    According to Entertainment Weekly, this is what the new Iron Man Mk III Armor will look like:

ironman_l.jpg

Assuming it's legit, I like it. It harkens to the classic red and gold design while still giving us a modern look. Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037509,00.html