Who Would You Like to See Sing the Theme

I'd be thrilled if my favorite singer Diana Ross did the upcoming theme. IMO her song Chain Reaction would've been a good Bond theme.

Comments

• spy009spy009 Posts: 57MI6 Agent
    Of course Shirley Bassey
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Dame Shirley Bassey would be great, but if EON felt that was a bit of a stretch too far back, then I'd go for Bassey's modern-day counterpart, Duffy.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    k.d. lang - to make up for her terrific rendition of "Surrender" being relegated to the closing tune for "Tomorrow Never Dies" instead of its rightful place as the theme song.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    I really believe Celine Dion could do a good job, she has the voice.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Ammo08 wrote:
    I really believe Celine Dion could do a good job, she has the voice.

My ears are bleeding already. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Lady Gaga...

In-fact, no.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Blackleiter Today 17:28

k.d. lang - to make up for her terrific rendition of "Surrender" being relegated to the closing tune for "Tomorrow Never Dies" instead of its rightful place as the theme song.
    I agree she has a fantastic voice I'd like to see her get an official theme song. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Dame Shirley Bassey. She's the only choice, as far as I'm concerned. No one else even comes close. Her voice has been associated with Bond themes after doing Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever (although I'm not too keen on Moonraker). I'd love to see her do another one, while she still can.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Dennis Waterman.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Dennis Waterman.

And he could write the theme thong, thing the theme thong...
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Dennis Waterman.

And he could write the theme thong, thing the theme thong...
    And of course he could star in it. The new JB with shaggy blond hair, he could be so good ................ :))
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    David Arnold himself! Just kidding :))

Knowing how title songs are a promotional tool for film/music conglomerates to showcase artists on their label, we'll have to expect someone signed on with Sony. God forbid if Britney Spears attempts to resurrect her career again this way :s
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    I personally wouldn't mind Tom Jones doing a second tune for the series. After all, Shirley did three and Tom is considered the male equivalent of her.

To be honest, I felt "Surrender" was a more triumphant tune out of the two for the film to end on. But yeah, I'd also like k.d. lang to do another one.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,794MI6 Agent
    NSNAFan wrote:
    I'd be thrilled if my favorite singer Diana Ross did the upcoming theme. IMO her song Chain Reaction would've been a good Bond theme.

Or Dame Bassey? Obviously. These are just the singers we need for a Bond now in the 1970's ...
    B
    Serioulsly, those were great. But there are splendind singers today, there is no need to overdo the nostalgia. I like Katie Melua, The Killers, Duffy, Beyonce etc.
  • FatsnbulFatsnbul Prospect, KentuckyPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Robbie Williams. Modern day Tom Jones.
    Number24 wrote:
    But there are splendind singers today

That's where I disagree. I don't think any of the modern day singers quite have the voice or the talent that Dame Shirley has, not to mention that her voice is just so perfect for a Bond theme. She has a very powerful voice that really suits the big brassy notes that I want in a Bond theme. In my opinion, none of the modern day singers are anywhere near as good as Dame Shirley Bassey.

I also think that in the interest of promoting the British music industry, a British artist should sing the song for the predominantly British institute that are James Bond films.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Tracy wrote:
    David Arnold himself! Just kidding :))

Knowing how title songs are a promotional tool for film/music conglomerates to showcase artists on their label, we'll have to expect someone signed on with Sony. God forbid if Britney Spears attempts to resurrect her career again this way :s

Not that I want to see her sing a Bond theme song, but Britney does not need to resurrect her career. Her last two albums, including Femme Fatale which was released about a month ago went right to number 1, and her last two single tracks were also at the top of the charts. Britney is doing just fine.

As for who should sing the title song, I would be happy with a more classical Bond theme song, a female with a big voice and some decent lyrics. The most recent title songs have been utter crap.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As we've had one duet with new artists, we could have a duet with two big voices from past Bonds.
    S Bassey & T Jones. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:

That's where I disagree. I don't think any of the modern day singers quite have the voice or the talent that Dame Shirley has, not to mention that her voice is just so perfect for a Bond theme. She has a very powerful voice that really suits the big brassy notes that I want in a Bond theme. In my opinion, none of the modern day singers are anywhere near as good as Dame Shirley Bassey.

If they do use Dame Shirley Bassey in a Bond movie again, I think the audience will splitt in two. Younger audiences who aren't die-hard Bond fans will wonder why they use an old woman they've never heared about to sing the theme. The ones who know (and love) her will think "Good, but not as good as the songs she sang back in the sixties." It's a loose-loose situation. No matter how brilliant the past was, it's usually a mistake to try copying it. Pure logic also says some current singers have the voice to sing just as well as Bassey, K D Lang is one example.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Number 24 - I think you summed it up quite nicely. And I'm glad to see another vote for Ms. Lang. I think she has a clear, brassy, classy voice that would fit brilliantly with a Bond theme (as she showed with "Surrender").
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

If they do use Dame Shirley Bassey in a Bond movie again, I think the audience will splitt in two. Younger audiences who aren't die-hard Bond fans will wonder why they use an old woman they've never heared about to sing the theme. The ones who know (and love) her will think "Good, but not as good as the songs she sang back in the sixties." It's a loose-loose situation. No matter how brilliant the past was, it's usually a mistake to try copying it. Pure logic also says some current singers have the voice to sing just as well as Bassey, K D Lang is one example.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Number24 wrote:
    If they do use Dame Shirley Bassey in a Bond movie again, I think the audience will splitt in two. Younger audiences who aren't die-hard Bond fans will wonder why they use an old woman they've never heared about to sing the theme. The ones who know (and love) her will think "Good, but not as good as the songs she sang back in the sixties."

I'm not sure I would agree, because it's clear that she still has the talent. Her recent album, The Performance, clearly shows she still has what it takes to sing a great Bond theme. The buck, then, stops with the writers and the composers of the new movie theme, but I think if they manage to keep a classic Bond theme tradition of the big, bold, brassy notes ... and make it sound 'Bondian' (I suppose that can't really be quantified, though), I'd be happy.

The modern movie theme songs have been no better than average (or crap, in the case of Die Another Day and Another Way to Die). In my opinion, the last great Bond movie theme was Goldeneye. Even if the Bond 23 song turns out not to be Shirley's best song, it'll still be better than Another Way to Die.

Perhaps you have an argument with the 'younger audiences who aren't die-hard Bond fans' - they probably wouldn't have heard of Dame Shirley Bassey. But I'm not convinced that it would be a turn-off. In fact, to me it would say, 'welcome to the Bond world'.
  • BJBXK007BJBXK007 N.J.Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    A well put together compilation of Barry one for the introduction and one running from the ending right through the credits
    and all instrumental would be appropriate I think.
    Number24 wrote:
    If they do use Dame Shirley Bassey in a Bond movie again, I think the audience will splitt in two. Younger audiences who aren't die-hard Bond fans will wonder why they use an old woman they've never heared about to sing the theme. The ones who know (and love) her will think "Good, but not as good as the songs she sang back in the sixties."

I'm not sure I would agree, because it's clear that she still has the talent. Her recent album, The Performance, clearly shows she still has what it takes to sing a great Bond theme. The buck, then, stops with the writers and the composers of the new movie theme, but I think if they manage to keep a classic Bond theme tradition of the big, bold, brassy notes ... and make it sound 'Bondian' (I suppose that can't really be quantified, though), I'd be happy.

I have never argued that she isn't as good as she was. My point is; nothing she does now will ever stand up to what she did in the 60's in the opinion of the audience.
  • bullitt_68bullitt_68 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Not that I want to see her sing a Bond theme song, but Britney does not need to resurrect her career. Her last two albums, including Femme Fatale which was released about a month ago went right to number 1, and her last two single tracks were also at the top of the charts. Britney is doing just fine.

As for who should sing the title song, I would be happy with a more classical Bond theme song, a female with a big voice and some decent lyrics. The most recent title songs have been utter crap.

Totally agree that recent Bond themes have been terrible! Don't think we've had a decent theme since Goldeneye!

I would probably go for someone like Leona Lewis for this theme!! I think she has got a fantastic voice, and would be perfect for a Bond theme!!

Hope thats not too controversial for my 1st post!!!
    Agreeing with me is never controversial, only smart. :))

Welcome to AJB!
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Nonsense! Chris Cornell is a great artist and did CR suitable justice. That song had everything. The others I can take or leave.

Regards,
    Wilde -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I have never argued that she isn't as good as she was. My point is; nothing she does now will ever stand up to what she did in the 60's in the opinion of the audience.

And you can speak for them all ? :s :))
    YNWA 97
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Would love to have Dame Shirley Bassey back....here's an off the wall novel idea: since it's the 50th Anniversary film I propose this as both a salute to the great John Barry and the past Bond films...how about ressurecting the unused original theme song from "Thunderball", "Mr. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" as the theme for Bond 23. Arnold could do a modern arrangement and Dame Shirley could sing it. Now back to some reality, IMO a clean and sober Amy Winehouse (and I know that's a stretch too) could do a killer classic type Bond theme....plus EON could probably get her on the cheap these days.
    HowardB wrote:
    Would love to have Dame Shirley Bassey back....here's an off the wall novel idea: since it's the 50th Anniversary film I propose this as both a salute to the great John Barry and the past Bond films...how about ressurecting the unused original theme song from "Thunderball", "Mr. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" as the theme for Bond 23. Arnold could do a modern arrangement and Dame Shirley could sing it. Now back to some reality, IMO a clean and sober Amy Winehouse (and I know that's a stretch too) could do a killer classic type Bond theme....plus EON could probably get her on the cheap these days.

Excellent idea, I love Mr. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, the only issue is Craig does not fit the image the lyrics describe, "he's tall and he's dark". Other than that, great idea.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Barry Nelson wrote Excellent idea, I love Mr. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, the only issue is Craig does not fit the image the lyrics describe, "he's tall and he's dark".

Good point....a slight update of the lyrics will be needed also.:)