Who Would You Like to See Sing the Theme

Comments

• jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    kd lang if she's given a song as good as Surrender.

Goldfrapp, of course.

Scott Walker if he's given a song that's much better than the one he was given for TWINE (and which didn't make the film)

Intriguing choice: Richard Hawley
  • FlemishFlemish CardiffPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Barrowman, would do a great Dame Shirley impression :))

He has done!
    Somewhere in this programme (I think its towards the end) he does a brilliant Bassey! :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-L8Go9xOU
  • qnqn Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Amy Winehouse
  • bullitt_68bullitt_68 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Barrowman, would do a great Dame Shirley impression :))

God, I hate Barrowman!!!! I really do!!!
  • Stand-In SpyStand-In Spy Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Leona Lewis

Pia Toscano
    the only contestant on American Idol to receive a standing o from the judges
    the only contestant on American Idol that can only do ballads
    but other than that, great vocals
  • Soji_1Soji_1 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I really want to see Hayley Williams from Paramore sing it...i think she would absolutely kill it, such a powerful voice! She'd be the best since Sheryl Crow did Tomorrow Never Dies...which is the best Bond theme, btw.
  • EvaFanEvaFan Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    edited January 2014
    Hayley Williams might do a good job, she´s got an interesting voice. Think Lady gaga could do something interesting as well.
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    Out of today's singers, I really couldn't say. I thought Another Way to Die was an okay theme. There are no modern musicians that would be good. I say hell no to the thought of that no talent dork Justin Bieber. I would like to see a classic rock band do a Bond theme. Like Styx/Dennis Deyoung or How about Dragonforce? Moonraker was my favorite of the Bassey themes.
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This has been bugging me for weeks, but shouldn't the title of this thread be "Who Would You Like to Hear Sing the Theme?"

Anyway. . .yesterday I bought Ukelele Songs, a solo effort from Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. I've always liked his voice, and I think the Bond producers could do a lot worse than get him to blast out the theme for Bond 23. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    An insane lovable man of course. I'd like to see this honour bestown on Ozzy. He's getting up there but if someone wrote a decent song I'm sure it would work. Something along the lines of "Mama I'm coming home"
    would fit in well with Bond.

It's time we mined experience and not today's youthful shill boys.

EDITED to add, Lady Gaga would also be a fine choice. She's insane, she's a great singer. Hire her.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In the Sun today. They say D Craig has asked The kings of leon three times to do a Bond theme, but so far has failed. Mabey fourth time lucky. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    I'd like The Last Shadow Puppets - The Artic Monkey's Alex Turner and Miles Kane to do a Bond tune. Their ability to convey retro sounding tunes with a modern twist would be perfect for Bond, and I know that both of them would love to do it havig heard them mention Bond in various interviews in the past.
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    Joss Stone has a good voice.
    Lady Gaga, :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    If anyone here watches the TV show Glee, I actually think Naya Rivera's (Santana) voice would be well-suited for a Bond theme.

Valerie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e2yzcbD6zA

Songbird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYlam1OyXSA
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    As a modern performing/ recording musician AND lifelong Bond fan I have to disagree with alot of the poster here who think all the recent Bond theme songs were crap. While "DAD" was horrid and "Another way to die" could have been better, I thought "You Know my name" was fantastic. As was TND. I thought Cheryl Crow nailed the Bond vibe to a T. I also Liked Garbage's TWINE. I Think it's great that the producers use music that is relevant to when the film was made. You may not like Jack Black or Alecia Keys but they are what is happening today in the music industry. I think one of the reasons that the Bond movies are going strong into year 50 is because the producers are always striving to bring new fans into the Bond universe. I think one of the best ways they do it is to keep the theme songs current to todays music scene. Most Americans under 40 have never even heard of Tom Jones ( I think Tom Jones is a great artist and I LOVE Shirley, I am just making a point ) I wonder how many Bond fans we have today because Duran Duran sang AVTAK 27 years ago. I know there must be some reason so many people are fond of AVTAK LOL
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    I think one of the best ways they do it is to keep the theme songs current to todays music scene. Most Americans under 40 have never even heard of Tom Jones ( I think Tom Jones is a great artist and I LOVE Shirley, I am just making a point ) I wonder how many Bond fans we have today because Duran Duran sang AVTAK 27 years ago. I know there must be some reason so many people are fond of AVTAK LOL

I honestly don't think that there are many fans who fall into the category you described, those who became fans because of the movie theme song. That is but a small portion of the movie. A great song won't save an average movie, so even if the song was made by a "modern" artist who are "relevant" to the times, if the movie isn't good it isn't going to win many (if at all) new fans.

I've repeatedly said here that I want Dame Shirley Bassey to sing the theme, and my position has not changed. I think Bassey's voice epitomises what a Bond theme should be - big, bold, and powerful. Even if not many people in this day and age have heard of her, rather than being a turn-off by having an artist that they've never heard of, I think it'd be a big, bold, powerful introduction to the film and a powerful statement that says "welcome to the world of James Bond". When Bassey sings the hair on the back of my neck stand up. In my opinion, apart from Tom Jones' Thunderball and Tina Turner's Goldeneye, and Bassey's three theme songs, I don't think there's another Bond movie theme that has stood out for me as being 'Bondian'. This is James Bond. Coupled with the opening gunbarrel sequence, I don't think there's a better way to introduce the film.

As an aside, it could also introduce a new generation of fans to Bassey. Who knows.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • everyman007everyman007 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Diana Krall with a Roberta Flack/Carly Simon number or The White Stripes with a Duran Duran knockoff.
    www.everyman007.com
    everyman007_logo.jpg
  • boothroyd13boothroyd13 Winchester, VAPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    All of this talk of Shirley Bassey and having a voice/song that is big, bold and powerful...I think there are some modern artists that can pull this off. Somebody mentioned Adele, which is an inspired choice. She's one of the hottest artists going right now, and I think that will continue well into next year. Lady Gaga definitely has a unique voice that given the right song, could put out a nice effort. But, my number one choice (and has been for the past few years) is Michael Buble. If they go with a big, brassy modern number, with a hint of the past greats, Buble can pull it off. If you've ever listened to "Feeling Good," you'll know what I'm talking about. I could see a song like that blasting over the credits sequence in a theater. The song has an incredible atmosphere, goes big when it needs to, and even has a Bondian guitar riff 1:30 into the song. IMO, Michael Buble would be the perfect choice for a Bond theme.
    Peter Andre with Jedward :D
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    All of this talk of Shirley Bassey and having a voice/song that is big, bold and powerful...I think there are some modern artists that can pull this off. Somebody mentioned Adele, which is an inspired choice. She's one of the hottest artists going right now, and I think that will continue well into next year. Lady Gaga definitely has a unique voice that given the right song, could put out a nice effort. But, my number one choice (and has been for the past few years) is Michael Buble. If they go with a big, brassy modern number, with a hint of the past greats, Buble can pull it off. If you've ever listened to "Feeling Good," you'll know what I'm talking about. I could see a song like that blasting over the credits sequence in a theater. The song has an incredible atmosphere, goes big when it needs to, and even has a Bondian guitar riff 1:30 into the song. IMO, Michael Buble would be the perfect choice for a Bond theme.

I'm a Bublé fan too, and I know exactly what you're talking about with his version of Feeling Good (which, incidentally, is one of my favourite songs). He has a great voice. But is he a better choice than Bassey? I'm not sure about that. I think one decisive thing in favour of Bassey is that she's done it before, and she's been doing this for more than 50 years. She isn't going to be doing this much longer, and while she still can, and while there are Bond movies made, why not let her do her fourth? From the interviews she's given, she says that she's very keen to do another one.

Michael Bublé still has many, many years left in the music industry. I agree that he has a great voice, and he's also one of my favourite singers. He'd be a perfect choice for a Bond theme as well. But for now, I'd rather see Bassey do the song for Bond 23, then let Bublé do his for Bond 24.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    Mary J Blige, fantastic voice. she could belt out a Big R&B ballad.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Long lobbied for Goldfrapp. The first album is like a Hymn to John Barry. Those old farts U2 are also still able to surprise on occasion.We will no doubt get the latest label tie in irrespective of whether it suits the movie or not, which is shame. As a real long shot how about Scott Walker ?
    Now that could be inspired. A sixties figure who has ploughed an increasingly lonely and experimental furrow, but is nonetheless revered and strangely contemporary.OH. Well I can dream...roll on Kings of Leon I suppose, a workaday meat and 2 veg 'rock band'
  • Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    wouldnt mind duran duran having another go, i feel that they are good enough to have hits in any era
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    To sing the Bond theme would be a bit silly, it has no lyrics. And it's just more royalties for Monty Norman.

You'd have someone going da-da-da-da da da da da da da da da

In which case I would like to see Angelina Jolie sing it, naked, while soaping herself in the shower. Failing that, Tory MP Louise Mensch, sexy and hates Murdoch, what's not to like?

louise_bagshawe1105.JPG
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Have any of you ever seen this young lady, she's an American. She is the lead singer for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Given the right material she could belt it out...
    Grace-Potter-and-The-Nocturnals2.jpg
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    I don't know who this young lady is, But bloody hell look at those legs :D
    I YouTube'd Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and they are indeed good. As for Ms. Potter herself, she's got a voice that's pretty well on par with Lady Gaga's--but she's actually good-looking and doesn't have to rely on Halloween outfits.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,624Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I YouTube'd Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and they are indeed good. As for Ms. Potter herself, she's got a voice that's pretty well on par with Lady Gaga's--but she's actually good-looking and doesn't have to rely on Halloween outfits.

The lengths you will go to, HB....to continually put yourself on the line like that for the rest of us mere mortals....to research every aspect like that....with no thought for yourself...you are a God among men :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

The lengths you will go to, HB....to continually put yourself on the line like that for the rest of us mere mortals....to research every aspect like that....with no thought for yourself...you are a God among men :D

SiCo should add a Facebook-ish "like" feature so I don't have to reply with :D
    Vox clamantis in deserto