Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Given the terrible Flooding in parts of England and Wales, I can't help but wonder when the first
    Celeb will decide to do a charity record.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Charity record? Bollocks!

I think instead of using the situation to peddle their wares and subject us to yet another cover with an injected key change, these 'celebrities' can be far more useful and helpful in a way that allows all of them, not just the autotune twerkers to get involved;

Simply take all the 'celebrities', mince them all up into a paste, combine with concrete et voila, your 'celeb' can now not help you build the flood defences, they can be the defences.

This scheme can be utilised with all sorts of applications, flood defences, extending heathrow's runway, filling pot holes. The list is endless!

Tbh, I should start charging for these ideas, I'm pure genius.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    :)) indeed you are MG ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,305MI6 Agent
    Jan 15th , '74 : Happy Days premiere.......
    Terrorist Anders Breivik is on hunger strike.

The reason ?

He wants PS3 instead of PS2 (not making this up) , he also wants his daily prison salary doubled so he can buy stamps to communicate with the outside world.

This was the guy who killed 77 people in Norway 3 yrs ago.....he should be lucky he's not in a US or thai jail.

It was his 35th birthday 2 days ago , I don't think he got any presents or cakes :s
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,890MI6 Agent
    Yes, we mentioned this in the rant thread. Breivik he claims he is treated "like an animal" and the conditions are "torture-like". He is BTW allowed to write letters and put stamps on them, but the wardens decide if they will be posted. He has one cell, one office and one gym. To be fair, he can't stroll from room to room whenever he pleases. He has set "office hours" and "gym hours" and is locked in and out of those rooms accordingly. I understand his contact with other inmates is restricted because they fear for his safety, but volunteers are sometimes payed to spend time with him. Only a handfull of countries would give him this good conditions (the other Scandinavian countries, perhaps a couple more), so Breivik comes accross a as a cry-baby.
    As he's such a right wing fan, perhaps the conditions of one of
    the Nazi death camps would suit him better.
    While he is very right wing, he isn't a nazi. He fantazised about escaping to Israel of Georgia (the former Soviet republic) after his terrorit attack. He has nothing against jews and sees Israel as an allied country. In his mind muslims and politicians who let them into the country are the real enemy.

When it comes to his life in prison, I hope I read in the newspaper in fourty-fifty years that Breivik has died in prison. Hopefully my first thought is "I haven't heard anything about him in decades. I almost forgot about him, but I remember his victims often."
    Point taken ;) I'd still put him in a death camp. :D
    To paraphrase Senator John McCain: -It's not about who he is, it's about who we are.
    Sorry Number 24, but in my book you shoot mad dogs. :D
    While he was murdering people, clearly the police should have shot him. But when they arrived (horribly late - this happened just outside Oslo and the police took more than an hour to stop him. Incompetence of the worst sort) he put his hands up and surrendered. While your reaction is a very human one, "eye for an eye" societies are among the worst on earth. Afghanistan and northern Pakistan "functions" like that. Do we want that?
    When it comes to law and order, I only ask one question!

What would Chuck Norris do ? :))
    Quite so. In Norway we are hit by an even greater horror than Breivik getting his hands on a PS3: We are not winning in the winter olympics! Even worse - the Swedes are winning! Being from somewhere else you my not know the ancient Norwegian saying "there are more important things in life than winning - and that's beating the Swedes!"
    He should be glad he's not in US , thai or Kongolesean prison X-(
    Number24 wrote:
    While he was murdering people, clearly the police should have shot him. But when they arrived (horribly late - this happened just outside Oslo and the police took more than an hour to stop him. Incompetence of the worst sort) he put his hands up and surrendered. While your reaction is a very human one, "eye for an eye" societies are among the worst on earth. Afghanistan and northern Pakistan "functions" like that. Do we want that?

Now don't get me wrong number24, I kind of get where you're coming from, but places like Afghanistan and Pakistan do or at least did 'function' before the western world decided to 'liberate' it.

From what I've read and heard, (and forgive me for sounding a tad racist for this little label) but the Arab world operates very differently from ours. A Muslim woman wearing a burka does so as a sign of respect to her religion and husband, whereas us westerners seem to think it's the woman being repressed. It's this form of misinterpretation that leads to prejudice and misguided judgement of other cultures.

I remember reading a book by Michael Asher called 'The Real Bravo Two Zero'. Subject matter aside, Asher explains in some detail how welcoming and hospitable his Iraqi hosts are as he retraces the route of McNab's failed patrol, and in all cases the Iraqis are very open and honest about events. News coverage and press releases would have us believe them pesky Eye-rack-ee's to be scud-peddling WMD stirring nutters.

In other parts, crime rates etc are low but the punishments are considered by many in the western world as unduly harsh, but the deterent works somewhat, no?

We can view these distant cultures as obscene, overbearing, inhumane and repressive, but these countries and cultures are what they are, that's their way of life and we must respect that.

What I'm ultimately getting at is that no one should feel they have the right to police the rest of the world. If we travel to these countries we should respect their ways of life and live by their rules so as not to cause offence to our hosts, on the flip side though, anyone visiting or choosing to live in our part of the world should pay us the same courtesy and abide by our rules and not offend us.

If everyone was a little more thoughtful of each other's views and ways of life then we might just get along a little better.

Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in some of these middle eastern countries, and we should just let them get on with their perfect lives, but there again I live in one of the most taxed countries in Europe where I've taken over a 10% pay cut in the last 5 years due to the ever increasing rise in living costs and I don't get a voice but instead I'm served in this democracy by a bunch of tax avoiding expenses fiddling drunks who simply fight over keeping their power instead of my best interests, and there again no one from Afghanistan is trying to liberate me....
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,631Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    I'm served in this democracy by a bunch of tax avoiding expenses fiddling drunks who simply fight over keeping their power instead of my best interests....

+ several thousand.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    I'm served in this democracy by a bunch of tax avoiding expenses fiddling drunks who simply fight over keeping their power instead of my best interests....

+ several thousand.

+ Several Million, after Council tax and Energy bill added.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I have a soft spot for our politicians, it's some of those flooded fields in Dorset. :))
    edited February 2014
    minigeff wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Now don't get me wrong number24, I kind of get where you're coming from, but places like Afghanistan and Pakistan do or at least did 'function' before the western world decided to 'liberate' it.

From what I've read and heard, (and forgive me for sounding a tad racist for this little label) but the Arab world operates very differently from ours. A Muslim woman wearing a burka does so as a sign of respect to her religion and husband, whereas us westerners seem to think it's the woman being repressed. It's this form of misinterpretation that leads to prejudice and misguided judgement of other cultures.

I remember reading a book by Michael Asher called 'The Real Bravo Two Zero'. Subject matter aside, Asher explains in some detail how welcoming and hospitable his Iraqi hosts are as he retraces the route of McNab's failed patrol, and in all cases the Iraqis are very open and honest about events. News coverage and press releases would have us believe them pesky Eye-rack-ee's to be scud-peddling WMD stirring nutters.

In other parts, crime rates etc are low but the punishments are considered by many in the western world as unduly harsh, but the deterent works somewhat, no?

We can view these distant cultures as obscene, overbearing, inhumane and repressive, but these countries and cultures are what they are, that's their way of life and we must respect that.

What I'm ultimately getting at is that no one should feel they have the right to police the rest of the world. If we travel to these countries we should respect their ways of life and live by their rules so as not to cause offence to our hosts, on the flip side though, anyone visiting or choosing to live in our part of the world should pay us the same courtesy and abide by our rules and not offend us.

If everyone was a little more thoughtful of each other's views and ways of life then we might just get along a little better.

Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in some of these middle eastern countries, and we should just let them get on with their perfect lives, but there again I live in one of the most taxed countries in Europe where I've taken over a 10% pay cut in the last 5 years due to the ever increasing rise in living costs and I don't get a voice but instead I'm served in this democracy by a bunch of tax avoiding expenses fiddling drunks who simply fight over keeping their power instead of my best interests, and there again no one from Afghanistan is trying to liberate me....

When did the West invade northern Pakistan? It's been a while since we invaded Somalia, Yemen, Sudan etc. Also, you mention the tradition of hospitality in this culture. True, but I remember a comment from an Afghani who now lives in Norway: "In Afghanistan we greet a stranger like he was family, or we kill him. There seems to be no middle ground." It seems to me that the western tradition of greeting strangers with measured politeness until you know him better works a lot better.

I think you will also find that western leaders are much more interested in the welfare of their voters then the leaders in the "eye-for-an-eye" states are. Western leaders are at least dependent on our votes. They can't just kill or imprison people who disagree. About taxation: Obviously, no system of taxation is perfect. But first of all you need roads, hospitals and fire departments. It is also a fact that nations where the wealth is reasonably distributed are more well-functioning and peacefull than countries with large class devides. This worries me, because western countries have let the devide between the haves and the have nots increase for the last decades.
    Number24 wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

When did the West invade northern Pakistan? It's been a while since we invaded Somalia, Yemen, Sudan etc. Also, you mention the tradition of hospitality in this culture. True, but I remember a comment from an Afghani who now lives in Norway: "In Afghanistan we greet a stranger like he was family, or we kill him. There seems to be no middle ground." It seems to me that the western tradition of greeting strangers with measured politeness until you know him better works a lot better.

For you maybe, and yeah killing a stranger does seem a tad harsh. But who has the ultimate right to start telling people how to live?

And there was a little trip the Americans made near Abbottabad that the Pakistani's got a little annoyed about recently.... :))

And before anyone puts 2 and 2 together and gets banana, I'm not condoning terrorism etc etc, come on that'd be daft, what I'm saying is let these people get on with it. If however people request help to overthrow dictatorships then fine, roll in the UN, but why it's always down to the USA and UK to do the world's bidding I'll never know.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    The Us didn't invade Abbotobad, so that's hardly relevant. Some want the west to intervene whenever there is a problem. Sometimes it works pretty well (the Balkans) other times not so well (Iraq). Now it seems the west can't afford it, just look at Syria. But what this discussion started out with, was a revenge-based society vs a more humane society. Any opinions?
    How about a humane revenge society? :))
    polar-bear-facepalm-e1309364417710.jpg
    Face palm
    Number24 wrote:
    The Us didn't invade Abbotobad, so that's hardly relevant. Some want the west to intervene whenever there is a problem. Sometimes it works pretty well (the Balkans) other times not so well (Iraq). Now it seems the west can't afford it, just look at Syria. But what this discussion started out with, was a revenge-based society vs a more humane society. Any opinions?

Ok, so the Osama raid wasn't classed as an invasion, but it was an example of US forces operating in Pakistan, without the Pakistani goverment's approval or knowledge.

You say that some want the west to intervene, and I agree, sometimes they do. But I've seen quite a few examples where an afghan local is asking why did the west turn up, they were getting on ok in their corner of Afgahnistan before the war started. Sometimes military intervention isn't what's required.

To sit back and think that the good old western world is the saviour of everyone else on the planet is pure folly. Sometimes the 'good guys' aren't all they seem, ask the family of Dr David Kelly for instance......

It also strikes me that the Afghan people apparently needed saving from the tyranny of the Taliban and that the 'liberation' of Afgahnistan also had a double whammy of fighting the Taliban and getting revenge (hang on isn't it them a-rabs who only go in for revenge tactics?) for the 9/11 attack.

Now if you're trying to convince anyone that the liberation of Iraq both times and the liberation of Afghanistan was all about a humanitarian mission to give people democracy and freedom, then tell me why we havn't liberated other countries in the eastern bloc, or North Korea, or China or South Africa, or Peckham?

Funny how the humanitarian efforts seem to be prioritised on the amount of oil in the ground.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Good points well made. I'm just reading a very good article written by David Fisk in The Guardian about the "Drone War". Here it is:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/civilians-are-dying-campaigners-are-being-kidnapped-the-world-cannot-turn-a-blind-eye-to-americas-drone-attacks-in-pakistan-9132184.html
    They could make a scene in Bond 24 where Bond goes in and does old fashioned secret agent work when the powers that be wants to just send a drone to bomb the problem.
    ..... as in the PTS of TND. :))
    There are simularities, but its not not the same. X-(

Imagine there is a suspected terrorist in a city, and the CIA wants to kill him by drone. Bond wants go into the city and find out more. 007 discovers the target was forced to commit a crime because the terrorists threatened to kill his family. Thats only one scenario.