Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    No, but I'm sure someone nominated him. The Nobel comitee has made a small number of mistakes in more than a hundred years, but there's a reason why it's still the most prestigous peace prize in the world. Most laurates are chosen wisely and a few were exellent.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    No, but I'm sure someone nominated him. The Nobel comitee has made a small number of mistakes in more than a hundred years, but there's a reason why it's still the most prestigous peace prize in the world. Most laurates are chosen wisely and a few were exellent.
    I'm only joking 24 I hold the Nobel commity in regard.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Aung San Suu Kyi still has her peace prize.... in my
    Opinion this diminishes the award :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Can they be rebuked?
    I knew you were joking, Chriscoop. But many are serious about this, so I replied seriously. What many misunderstand is that people don't get the peace prize for being perfect, neither before or after getting the award. They get the award far a spesific thing mentioned when the name of the winner is made public. It could be for a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt, working for the rights of people regardless of their race, working against climate change etc. If you only give the peace prize to people who never have or will do bad things you're most likely give it to people with little influence on world events.The public expect Nobel laurates to behave well and that creates a pressure to do so. Good. But it's an award for doing something good, not for being a saint.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Can they be rebuked?

It's never been done. I guess there is a limit to everything, but we can all see that it would take a lot of wrong doing for this to happen.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Revoked, you mean.

On a lighter note, how many of those new Star Wars movies have there been? I thought there had been three, but is the one shortly to arrive in the cinemas only the second one? Y'know, first one has the trailer with Harrison F going, Chewy we're home... No spoilers, I'm looking to catch up on 'em. I've looked on imdb and its seems the new film coming out is only the second one of these new, improved (over the prequels) sequels.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Another terrorist attack in NYC, no fatalities fortunately.
    I saw an interesting documentary on TV last night. Remember the Christmas songs from the 20th century, non-religious songs such as "White Christmas", "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire", "Rudolf the red nosed-reindeer", "Rockin' around the Christmas three" etc.?
    Most of them were composition by American jews!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Revoked, you mean.

On a lighter note, how many of those new Star Wars movies have there been? I thought there had been three, but is the one shortly to arrive in the cinemas only the second one? Y'know, first one has the trailer with Harrison F going, Chewy we're home... No spoilers, I'm looking to catch up on 'em. I've looked on imdb and its seems the new film coming out is only the second one of these new, improved (over the prequels) sequels.

The upcoming Last Jedi (Ep. 8) is the third of the latest bunch.

Lately, we have The Force Awakens (Ep 7), then Rogue One, which a standalone story about the commando mission to steal the Death Star plans (which - timeline-wise - happens between the maligned prequel trilogy and the acclaimed second trilogy). Next comes this month's Last Jedi.

Rogue One is just a great commando flick that happens to take place in the Star Wars Universe.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Revoked, you mean.

Lately, we have The Force Awakens (Ep 7), then Rogue One, which a standalone story about the commando mission to steal the Death Star plans (which - timeline-wise - happens between the maligned prequel trilogy and the acclaimed second trilogy). Next comes this month's Last Jedi.

Rogue One is just a great commando flick that happens to take place in the Star Wars Universe.

And today they've announced an obi wan kenobi trilogy.
    I see many schools in Britain are closed because of the cold. The coldest place in Britain is -13C (8.6F) today, and I feel very sorry for you :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Another terrorist attack in NYC, no fatalities fortunately.
    I’ve booked a weeks holiday in February in the big Apple ,but this won’t put me off ,we need to shoulder to shoulder to defeat this problem ,I’ve been twice before in February ,and even the brass monkeys complain how cold it is
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Number24 wrote:
    I see many schools in Britain are closed because of the cold. The coldest place in Britain is -13C (8.6F) today, and I feel very sorry for you :D
    Yes it's remarkable how utterly badly we cope with a bit of snow and some cold temperature :#
    Revoked, you mean.

Ah, right, got you. Yes, I thought there was another one in there but it doesn't seem to get mentioned much in the current press. Maybe a London cinema will show the other two back to back and I can catch up.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Right now the leders of ICAN (The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear weapons) are given the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo. Congratulations! :)

Conflict of interest!!! Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. Dynamite is in direct competition with nuclear weapons, so of course old Al would want nuclear weapons abolished as they take sales away from him.

Conflict of interest!!!

:v
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

I watched the existing eight Star Wars movies again over the last couple weeks.
    you know how the original film was such a pastiche of older cinema genres? I think the subsequent films instead just used the original film as their inspiration, never really going outside for ideas again. The Force Awakens especially being more like a direct remake disguised as a sequel.
    but Rogue One I thought once again creatively synthesised various different classic film plots.
    I even spotted Hitchcock's Notorious: the lead character is the daughter of an infamous collaborator, and the rebels basically blackmail her into helping their cause by exploiting her family connections.

also the droid in this film is the Anti-Threepio
    Number24 wrote:
    Right now the leders of ICAN (The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear weapons) are given the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo. Congratulations! :)

Conflict of interest!!! Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. Dynamite is in direct competition with nuclear weapons, so of course old Al would want nuclear weapons abolished as they take sales away from him.

Conflict of interest!!!

:v

:))
    You've found the perfect Christmas present for Higgins {[]
    Erm, surely he pre-deceased nuclear weapons by a long time... The story goes someone printed Nobel's obit by mistake, confusing him with his dead brother, and it slammed him for his role in creating dynamite. Nobel had a change of heart upon reading it and began campaigning for peace.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I have to share my Hanukkah bush. I decided to decorate it with David Bowie and various things from the movie "The Life Aquatic."

IMG_20171213_211933.jpg
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Well it’s christmas again , the tv shows and radio stations are pumping out “the most wonderfull time of the year” over indulgence, special food etc etc , It may be for most of us ,but I know (due to my police service) it’s the worst time of the year , Children are expecting presents because their chums are getting them , and parent (s) can just manage eo feed their families at normal times of the year . There are many an old person alone ,due to geography ,their children’s work patterns , it seems now more and more people are working later and later .Some companies proudly boast on tv adverts ,”we are open up till 10 pm on Xmas eve . We are open Boxing Day , you can order by phone on Christmas Day
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent
    Tropical Storm Urduja has devastated the neighbouring island of Leyte where many of Mrs CHB's family live. We were only there last week delivering Christmas presents. Their homes have been flooded out but we have got all of them safely into hotels. We are due to fly to England tomorrow night but not sure what is happening now - the main thing is they are all safe but there are several deaths reported.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Terrible news, I'm certain everyone's thoughts are with you.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Good luck to CHB and all his family and friends in the Phillipines.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    You've found the perfect Christmas present for Higgins {[]
    If he doesn't want it, I wouldn't mind it.

I don't even like WimpMaster or whatever... :v ;)
    a reasonable rate of return
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent
    Thank you TP and N24 your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Just to update the situation the entire province of Leyte has been placed under a state of calamity. There is widespread waist high flooding and landslides with power lines down. Lots of people are reported as missing let's hope they are all found safe and well.

Fortunately I have been able to secure hotel accommodation for all Mrs CHB's family until after the Christmas period so after the floodwaters recede they can get back home and salvage what they can.

We are catching our flight later tonight as planned as there is nothing else we can do here. The next time I post will be from London.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    Best wishes, CHB.
    edited December 2017
    While a dozen countries around the world (including the US and UK) still have a telegraph service, this service isgetting more and more absolete. At the end of this year Belgium will end their telegraph service. Here are some famous telegrams to pay tribute:

Dr Crippen, an American-born homeopath, was one of the first criminals to be convicted with the help of the telegram. Following the murder of his wife Cora at their home in London in January 1910, Dr Crippen and his lover escaped on a ferry to Canada but were spotted by the ship's captain, who sent a telegram to Scotland Yard just before the ship lost reception. A police officer took a faster ship to Canada, and arrested Dr Crippen on arrival. He was hanged at Pentonville Prison on November 23 1910.

Samuel Morse sent what is thought to be the first telegram, on May 24 1844. Morse sent a message from Washington to Baltimore saying:
    WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT?

When American author Mark Twain heard that his obituary had been published, he sent a telegram from London in 1897 saying:
    THE REPORTS OF MY DEATH ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED.

Mark Twain, like most writers, found it easier to write long than short. He received this telegram from a publisher:

NEED 2-PAGE SHORT STORY TWO DAYS.
    Twain replied:
    NO CAN DO 2 PAGES TWO DAYS. CAN DO 30 PAGES 2 DAYS. NEED 30 DAYS TO DO 2 PAGES.

The shortest telegram in the English language was from the Irish writer Oscar Wilde. He was living in Paris and he cabled his publisher in Britain to see how his new book was doing. The message read: “?” The publisher cabled back: “!”

The first successful flight, by the Wright brothers, was announced by telegram from North Carolina in 1903.
    SUCCESSFUL FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING

SOS SOS CQD CQD TITANIC STOP WE ARE SINKING FAST STOP PASSENGERS ARE BEING PUT INTO BOATS STOP TITANIC

America was spurred to join the First World War after the interception of the Zimmermann Telegram. Berlin sent the telegram on January 17 1917 to Mexico, urging the Mexicans to join the war as Germany's ally against the USA. President Wilson, who had previously wanted to keep America out of the war, then used the telegram to gain support for American intervention.

American journalist Robert Benchley sent a celebrated telegram to his editor at the New Yorker, Harold Ross, upon arriving in Venice for the first time.
    STREETS FULL OF WATER STOP PLEASE ADVISE

Perhaps one of the most famous historical telegrams is one sent by the head of the Navy on September 3 1939. It read simply:
    WINSTON IS BACK

Physicist Edward Teller sent a telegram in 1952 to colleagues at Los Alamos about the first hydrogen bomb detonation, saying:
    ITS A BOY

A longish telegram was sent in 1950 to President Harry Truman from Senator Joseph McCarthy, repeating his assertions that "I have in my possession the names of 57 communists who are in the state department at present" and challenging Truman to account to Congress. The presidents drafted a telegraph response, but apparently did not send it.

IT SHOWS CONCLUSIVELY THAT YOU ARE NOT EVEN FIT TO HAVE A HAND IN THE OPERATION OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES. I AM VERY SURE THAT THE PEOPLE OF WISCONSIN ARE EXTREMELY SORRY THAT THEY ARE REPRESENTED BY A PERSON WHO HAS AS LITTLE SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY AS YOU HAVE.

Both Mark Twain and Arthur Conan Doyle supposedly sent similar telegrams to a dozen prominent men, all of whom packed up and left town immediately.
    FLEE AT ONCE -- ALL IS DISCOVERED.

From Robert Ford to the governor of Missouri right after killing Jesse James:
    I HAVE GOT MY MAN

General Sir Charles James Napier captured the province Sindh in India. The story is he sendt this telegram in Latin just after:
    PECCAVI
    (Peccavi means "I have sinned")