Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Japanese Railways informs the public how sorry they'll are after one of their train left the station 20 seconds early yesterday :o :#
    Now we know how Bond could live so large :007)

MI6's secret multi-million pound Cold War slush fund
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42012380
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I've just seen a documentation about the ALDI empire and it's owners, the Albrecht brothers.

There is one anecdote that shows their way of thinking.

So on an official occasion, Mr. Albrecht is meeting the owner of a german clothing company.
    Mr. Albrecht boasts about a tea that they carry which is really good and says that he'll send him a sample

In the following days, the clothing guy receives a letter from Aldi that contains

- one teabag :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Reminds me of going to dinner once we three friends. One earned more than the remaining three of us combined. When the bill came he left a 25p tip for the waitress. The rest of us all quietly chipped in to compensate for his tightness so that the waitress would get the tip she deserved...and we never invited him out to dinner again.
    did he pay for his dinner alone or for all of you?

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Reminds me of going to dinner once we three friends. One earned more than the remaining three of us combined. When the bill came he left a 25p tip for the waitress. The rest of us all quietly chipped in to compensate for his tightness so that the waitress would get the tip she deserved...and we never invited him out to dinner again.
    I had a similar acquaintance who would scoop up the cash we had all paid ( and rounded up) then pay with his credit card. After the 3rd time he pulled this stunt I called him on it.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Higgins wrote:
    did he pay for his dinner alone or for all of you?

We each paid for our own dinner...and then chipped in to cover his absent tip (without him knowing).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Well alright but it reminds me of the Tommy Cooper gag to a railway porter, here, have a a drink on me (handing him a small envelope...) inside is a tea bag. :))

Higgins, what do you mean a tea that they carry? Is your wording right? ?:)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The tree that's going to Trafalgar Square was cut yesterday :)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The tree that's going to Trafalgar Square was cut yesterday :)

Lovely ...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/norway-clearly-hates-london-trafalgar-square-christmas-tree-comes-under-fire-after-unveiling-a3410271.html

There was a bit of controversy over last years tree .... personally I think it was the dire decorations that made it look like a cucumber ... this is what happens when you ditch tinsel :))
    Is it true that once the Christmas season is over, the trees are taken up to Scotland and allowed to run wild again?

Higgins, what do you mean a tea that they carry? Is your wording right? ?:)

The tea was available in Aldi stores.

edited November 2017
    Happy thanksgiving day to all our American cousins -{
    Enjoy the pumpkin pie.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    It's actually Thanksgiving but I join CC in sending good wishes -{
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    It's actually Thanksgiving but I join CC in sending good wishes -{
    Not sure what happened there! :)) but sorted now.
    Happy Thanksgiving -{
    edited November 2017
    (just to be clear from the start: this post is not intended to start a political discussion, even though it may look that way.....)
    The journalist Luke Harding may be best know for publishing a book about the (alleged) relations between Trump and Russia. He and his wife lived in Russia for some time, where he wrote critical news reports about Russia and Putin. The Hardings experienced several suspicious break-ins, so Harding asked around at the British embasy about this. It's probably the FSB bugging your house, they said. "Cameras too?" asked Harding. "Probably", was the reply.
    Some time later the couple found a sex manual in Russian on their bed. It was ear-marked on Page 127, at the start of the chapter about orgasms.... :o :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    41_E34_E48-0_DA0-4155-_A1_ED-1_DAD9_B05_A3_F4.jpg. Happy thanks giving you all
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I'm happy to here the chennai 6 are to be released after 4 years imprisonment for seemingly breaking no laws whatsoever. I followed this story back in 2013 as I have worked in similar circumstances, for those who aren't familier with what I'm talking about its basically 6 former British servicemen who worked as security aboard cargo ships as protection against pirates, these guys were arrested and prosecuted on weapons charges after entering Indian waters and imprisoned in chennai central prison, the law the security aboard such ships is based around floating armouries and international maritime law, the Indian authorities didn't understand this allegedly!?!? Reading between the lines this was a political move by India.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree, this is Politics !..... I can't see the problem with people hired to do a security
    job. Basically doing what they have been paid for by a shipping company.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well for some reason the Indian authorities ( actually called q branch!! :))) took the line that these boys were illegally in possession of weapons as they didn't have the correct paper work, which if that was the case the royal navy would also be breaking the law as they don't obtain Indian permits for their weapons while in territorial waters. It's just an absolute travesty these boys were locked up! I personally think they've been used as leverage for reasons of political gain, maybe even as a way of manipulating the British stance on Sri Lanka?
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    November '72

Bruce Lee signs contract with WB :D

Celebrates his final birthday on the 27th :(
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    My wife bought some ham today - on the pack it said wafer thin?now I’m sure if you applied this term to other products : no one would buy it . For sale car tyres wafer thin tread ,house for sale wafer thin walls
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Well for some reason the Indian authorities ( actually called q branch!! :))) took the line that these boys were illegally in possession of weapons as they didn't have the correct paper work, which if that was the case the royal navy would also be breaking the law as they don't obtain Indian permits for their weapons while in territorial waters. It's just an absolute travesty these boys were locked up! I personally think they've been used as leverage for reasons of political gain, maybe even as a way of manipulating the British stance on Sri Lanka?

There was another case with two Italian marines who were stationed on an Italian oil tanker some years ago. There are conflicting accounts of what happened, but probably the shortest version was that the marines opened fire on an Indian fishing boat that approached too closely to the tanker (this happened shortly after a Greek tanker had been attacked by pirates close by). Two Indian fishermen were killed in the attack and India arrested the two marines. They were held in an Indian jail for 2 and 4 years respectively without formal charges being laid. There's a lot more to it than that, but there are similarities between the two cases.
    Andreas Hollstein, the major of Altena - a little town in Germany has been stabbed yesterday while being at a take-away restaurant.

1945767943-pk-andreas-hollstein-buergermeister-von-altena-GSg6OpGj1a7.jpg

Hollstein has been one of the few, who accepted more refugees in his town than he was officially obliged. He was under constant bombardment from the political right wing.

He was stabbed by a 56 year old, who accused him to let 200 strangers into town while he was dying of thirst. The man later was found out to be heavily drunk.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42149444

Chriscoop wrote:

There was another case with two Italian marines who were stationed on an Italian oil tanker some years ago. There are conflicting accounts of what happened, but probably the shortest version was that the marines opened fire on an Indian fishing boat that approached too closely to the tanker (this happened shortly after a Greek tanker had been attacked by pirates close by). Two Indian fishermen were killed in the attack and India arrested the two marines. They were held in an Indian jail for 2 and 4 years respectively without formal charges being laid. There's a lot more to it than that, but there are similarities between the two cases.

I havnt heard that story, I'll have to look it up, I'm surprised the chennai 6 hasn't had more mention in the UK, as far as I'm aware since it very first happened it's only today that it's hit national news level. India seem to have a strange way of dealing with these things, of course the Italian incident is semi understandable as two Indians were unlawfully killed and if the boat was in territorial waters they have jurisdiction. International waters are a whole different matter though. what India have done with the 6 British guys should have been a diplomatic storm. Particularly as they actually did have all the correct paperwork according to international maritime law and as such have genuinely done nothing wrong. Were the Italian marines a bit over zealous I wonder.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm surprised the chennai 6 hasn't had more mention in the UK, as far as I'm aware since it very first happened it's only today that it's hit national news level.

I think none of them came from London or the S/E, so the BBC and Fleet Street would have little interest.
    Barbel wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm surprised the chennai 6 hasn't had more mention in the UK, as far as I'm aware since it very first happened it's only today that it's hit national news level.

I think none of them came from London or the S/E, so the BBC and Fleet Street would have little interest.

Unfortunately that is very true :# a few of them were from the Yorkshire Regiment and a couple were Paras one of which is familier to me as in we've moved in the same circles. So I have caught occasional bits on radio York that I sometimes listen to.
    Interestingly the only time the national press cover anything national it's when the word snow starts being touted about. "UK to freeze under blanket of snow" " UK blasted by Arctic freeze and 4 inches or snow" correct translation being the normal parts of Scotland that are cold and get snow will be cold and get snow..... And maybe some high ground in Northern England.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Funny how the Pope didn't mention the mass killings
    Happening in Myanmar. So much for religious leaders
    Standing up for the innocent!
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."