Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,407Chief of Staff

๐Ÿ‘ I thought so, just wanted to check.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent

Some parts of the world see few natural disasters (Norway pretty much gets a hurricane now and then), others are not so fortunate. I'm afraid the Phillipines is in the second group. I hope the thousands of people affected get their regular lives back soon.

The Orkney council is looking into a proposal to re-joining Norway: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66066448

Finally! Empire again! What will be next? Special military operations (very small ones) to bring the Isle of Man or Iceland back to the motherland? I can't wait!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent

It sounds like the beginnings of the plot of the next James Bond film. Bond versus neo-Vikings would certainly be an original idea.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Yes, this is the obvious way to go forward. Bond fights an epic battle for the last remains of the empire, I mean United Kingdoms, against the evil Roar Normann on his long oil ship off the coast of the Orkneys!

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent

'What can you tell me about the Orkney's, 007?'

'F- all.'

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

edited July 2023

In some places in Norway there are mountains with large cracks that are slowly expanding.

(not me in the picture)

These parts of mountains will at some point fall off and crash into the landscape below.

These cracks are constanly monitored.

This happened today near Aurland (video):

An excelent movie about the subject is The Wave (2015)

The film's basic premise is not fictional. The mountain is in constant motion and will fall, sooner or later. Director Roar Uthaug: "This will actually happen there one day. There is this crack in the mountainside out in the fjord, and it keeps expanding each year and at some point it will cause a huge rockslide into the fjord and they will have 10 minutes before the wave reaches Geiranger. So we wanted to stay true to the facts - to what geologists think will be the facts one day."

Trailer:

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent

That gives me a bit of an AVTAK vibe there. Are there any microchip processing plants nearby? ๐Ÿ˜‰

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited July 2023

The British government now say they will never allow the Orkneys to leave the UK in favour of Norway. Everyone in Norway knows the British have been bullying and bombing the poor children in the Orkneys for years, killing 50 000 kids out of a total population of 22 400. As a result we plan ..... I mean it's likely there will be a popular uprising on the islands spear-headed by thousands of Orkney men that just happen to wear Norwegian military uniforms without any insignia. They only speak English with a Norwegian accent because they've seen a lot of our excellent TV programs. If the British occupiers of the Orkneys resist these heroic freedom fighters from the islands the Norwegian military will be forced to start a special military operation. This means sending our entire army (we need all of them to defend the territory of the Orkneys) to protect the oppressed masses there. We will then organize a referendum if the Orkneys asking them if they wish to become a county of Norway, but for simplicity all the voting forms will only have one option. This is of course not our plan, it's just what I predict will happen.

edited July 2023

How hard is it to floating in a wind tunnel like Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenkoo did for QoS? I haven't tried myself, but Ivar Kristoffersen (102) has. Ivar is a veteran of guerilla fighter from the Bjørn West resistance base near Bergen, and was probably instructed by Special Operations Executive agents. The resistance fighters fought the Germans on several occations, including nazi combat divers (Marine Einzats Kommando).

Bjørn West guerillas in occupied Norway:

Just a few observations: the four hottest days globally since mankind started monitoring temperatures all over the world is today, yesterday, the day before and four days ago. Antartica has plus degrees Celsius.

The hot, hot days of the new Cold War. ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿฅต

edited July 2023

All the actors in the USA who are members of SAG are on strike for the first time in 63 years! I wonder what movies will be impacted?

I can think of one that won't. ๐Ÿ™

Me too. If the strike lasts long enough to impact Bond26 that means Hollywood is already bankrupt!

A web site has this headline today: "The all-time best TV-characters from the 90's, ranked".

Sigh .... if it's only from the 1990's it's not all-time, is it? ๐Ÿ˜‚

There are so many of that sort of headline around, unfortunately. Just ignore them, I suggest. They're rife on YouTube.

edited July 2023

It reminds me of this recent Billy Bragg song which was inspired by just such an example of clickbait.

Casually watching YouTube this morning and up came a Christmas advert. Christmas? It's July!!!

edited September 2023

I suppose that Santa has to get his order in early! ๐Ÿ˜€

I agree that it is ridiculous though.

It's almost as if Christmas is getting commercialized....

edited July 2023

I'm afraid that happened a long time ago but it's definitely worse nowadays. I know that in retail they had to put their Christmas stock order in during the month of July so that may explain a few things about the adverts.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,283MI6 Agent

@Silhouette Man what's a Christmas stick ? Something Santa uses to make the elves work faster? I know a few retail establishments that need a few of those...

I'm afraid that is what is known as a typo. Sometimes my phone corrects things it shouldn't and that is the result if I don't proof read the post well enough. Yes, young retail workers now are awful - glad I've moved out of that line of work!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,283MI6 Agent

I'm glad I am not the only one who struggles with typos due to an over zealous computer / mobile system or an over excited finger

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,276MI6 Agent

We’ve had friends from the UK staying with us for the past week on their trip exploring the Far East, Australia and New Zealand. When I went to the airport to pick them up this shop had opened since my last visit to the airport…

It’s nice to see another British company expanding out Into Cebu along with the likes of M&S etc…

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,276MI6 Agent

It starts in earnest here in September…๐Ÿ˜ณ

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Yes, if they ever write my biography it'll be called The King of Typos as opposed to The King of Torts.