Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,340MI6 Agent

That’s excellent! Will have to do some posting there, soon 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent

That's good. Glad to hear it. It'd be good to get that thread going again.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,170MI6 Agent
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent

It seems that Irma Bunt's plans to release giant rats in the Australian desert are finally coming to fruition. πŸ˜‰

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent

I'm entertained by @CoolHandBond 's posts. The murder of an American and it later leads to 'a great day out'! I too visited the Texas book depository on a gap year in 1989, of course years before Stone's JFK thriller.

My favourite theory is the more benign - that a secret service agent went running after the first bullet hit and accidentally let his gun go off, taking out the President. The cover up would be to save his and the security services' blushes - doesn't explain why Lee Harvey Oswald had to be taken out by Jack Ruby of course. A recent Channel 5 documentary explored the way the local doctors were superseded and shut down and the body tampered with to make the exit wound at the back of the head look smaller, thus encouraging the view he was shot from behind, the idea vaguely put about in tape recordings by LBJ is that if some rogue Russian did it and it came out it could trigger off a world war so in both cases the cover up might be deemed necessary.

More conspiracy stuff - of course Broccoli wanted Thunderball to be shown, as Lois Maxwell quoted him as saying I think, if they're going to release NSNA we'll have the younger better looking Connery showing in TB nearby so people can compare! Wish I'd known, I'd have loved to gone up to London to see TB on the big screen, they weren't shown that often then. As it was, it got shown on ITV that Christmas anyway.

I'd caution against a conspiracy theory thread though, it attracts all sorts. Mumsnet does one from time to time, very entertaining admittedly.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I’m not sure I meant it that way but it did make me laugh!

I hadn’t thought about TB being shown to mark Connery’s age but it makes good sense.

I don’t know what Mumsnet is but should you be going on there? 😁

I’ll post my JFK theory on @Silhouette Man thread when I can get round to it.

This is from an 1963 edition of saucy magazine Parade,…I think lovely Vickie is our own Margaret Nolan?

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,501Chief of Staff

Yes, that's her I - I dink so, anyway.

Mumsnet is a brilliant website - not just for women or mums. I stay away from stuff on relationships and babies and so on, I first got onto it when someone was bitching about Checkatrade and I wanted to join in and point out a few things, but the entire world is on that site, I mean you want discussion on Elderly Parents or paint colours for the hall, it's all there, it's just built up over time.

I have a book on Conspiracy Theories on my shelf, among other books. What marks this one out is that it gives an 'Alert Rating' at the end of each chapter, which really means 'How credible is this?' It casts a discerning eye over them, some it claims are plausible and others just rubbish. What made me laugh - and at the end of a long day I have to be careful how I phrase this - is that one chapter deals with those who say the Holocaust never happened. Another chapter deals with the claim that the Nazis built an operational moon base during the Second World War (something parodied in the B-movie comedy Iron Sky). The first one - the idea that the Holocaust was made up - merits a big fat zero on the Alert Rating - in other words, it's rubbish. Fair enough. But the Nazis building a base on the moon? That got a 1 or a 2 out of 10. Now, erm, at the risk of sounding like I'm in favour of Holocaust denial - and I'm not - I would generally think that the chances of the Nazis somehow building a base on the moon was at least as equally implausible as the idea the Nazi genocide never happened... or even more so. I suppose any politician who said that would be open to it being misconstrued, however, like Corbyn referring to 'our friend from Hamas' during a meeting.

It is also rather dismissive of the influence of a freemasons - was the book funded by them, one wonders!! But cites Opus Dei as a big mover and shaker.

It's a rabbit hole, however - the equivalent of believing in ghosts or fairies in the 1800s, perhaps. You never really get there, never really get the truth.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

There are a few YouTube videos (aren't there always?) about Nazi bases on the moon, in Antarctica, or other unlikely places. I did watch one, wasn't impressed.

edited November 2023

That's interesting about Mumsnet. I always just assumed it was for women and Mums in particular. It's good to hear that it's diversified from its original more narrow remit. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised at that as AJB has many off-topic general discussion threads too. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Talking of Nazi bases on the moon that reminds me of an old friend I met in the public library over a decade ago called Olaf. He believed in the Inner Earth theory and that there was an "inner sun" inside the Earth. He believed that some Nazis had escaped in there in UFOs near the end of the war. It's all rather far-fetched and about as credible as Hitler's Death Ray and other supposed super weapons that he desperately hoped would turn back the tide of the war. It's fascinating stuff to discuss, as long as one of course doesn't get carried away with it all.

Although we don't have a conspiracy theory thread here per se my "Strange and Bizarre" Mysterious World Thread should suffice as a place to talk about such things. The only conspiracy theory I slightly buy into is surrounding the 1963 Kennedy assassination. I'm not sure that we've heard the final truth on that one and I suspect there was Mob involvement there - Jack Ruby who shot Harvey Oswald two days after the assassination had Mob links for instance. There was also talk that President Kennedy and his brother Bobby Kennedy, the Attorney General, were going to crack down on the Mafia and that was the motive for the assassination.

I don't mind posting on your thread @Silhouette Man save for one snag - 'Strange and Bizarre' Mysterious World thread sounds a bit 'roll up! roll up!' a bit hokey for posts that often cover quite dark and depressing material. I mean, a recent one is the events surrounding the Lockerbie disaster which marks its anniversary this last week. Scot Jim Swire is a father of a young woman who died in the disaster and he has spent decades trying to uncover the truth - it really looks like the guy who got jailed for it was framed by the US. An earlier documentary has quotes from the residents on the ground touching on the fact that certain things they observed on the ground have not been allowed to see the light of day, and I don't think they were referring to grisly sights, more FBI activity. It's been said there's been a D-notice slapped on the tragedy, which means the press can't run anything. Anyway, my point is, it doesn't really fit the bill of the title of that thread!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2023

@Napoleon Plural - I'm perfectly happy to change the thread title to something more appropriate. I'm open to suggestions from yourself or other members and I'll gladly make the change. When I created that thread back in 2013 I was inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's TV series title and a comedy skit I once saw on Irish TV where two scientist characters were talking and one said "strange and bizarre" in a funny voice. I kind of melded the two ideas together but I agree it's not perfect as a thread title.

How about Silhouette Man’s Unexplained Mysterious World Thread?

I used to love that ACC series,

edited November 2023

Thanks for the title suggestion, @CoolHandBond. I've now changed the title of my thread. Hopefully this will be more suitable for the subject matter within.

The Paranormal and Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Thread:

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/40626/the-paranormal-and-unexplained-mysteries-discussion-thread

Hopefully this is an acceptable title for everyone but, if not, I'm still open to other suggestions from interested members.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,840MI6 Agent

Maybe this photo belongs in SM's new thread? it's from the town of Steinskjer near Trondheim last night. Obviously many people desperately needed Batman, but the meterologists had another way to explain it. "Pillars are formed because of little wind and ice chrystails in the air are formed as small, horisontal plates".

But he's explained it. It's not Unexplained.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2023

Good point. We'll scrap that idea then.

Do you like the new thread title or would you like to suggest an alternative title?

Current thread title: The Paranormal and Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Thread

'Discussion Thread' might be an unnecessary couple of words.

How about:

The Paranormal, Unexplained Mysteries and Cover-Ups

But that's if you think you want this thread to be about cover-ups and conspiracies, because in the main these do have a different flavour to the Indiana Jones stuff you seem to be promoting with your heading, I'm not sure they're quite the same.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2023

That sounds fine to me. I don't mind creating a separate thread under that title if you feel that would be better? Then the older thread could revert to its original title. Mind you, the Paranormal part of the title would fit OK with the original remit of the thread so it should be OK to expand it a little. Looking back at the OP in that 2013 thread I notice I did include "crazy or credible conspiracy theories" as part of the discussion.

The more things change the more they stay the same…this article was published in 1965…

I'd like to invite everybody to read the story I've posted in the "Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations" thread. it involves an unconventional MI6 agent , a truly evil Gestapo commander, the battleship Tirpitz and espionage in the far north.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/51043/real-stories-from-the-world-of-espionage-and-special-operations#latest

Three pictures of behind the scenes on LALD…hard to believe these are 50 years old.

I hadn't seen the third one and it's always nice to see the lovely Madeleine. Thanks CHB!

edited December 2023

Someone took this photo in the region around Stavanger. As sunsets go it's not too bad.

That's a beautiful sunset. Not too shabby at all. Living in Norway and enduring the cold has its compensations, I see. πŸ™‚

You're thinking of the welfare state, of course... 😁

I wasn't but glad to know you have one over there too.

I know. The views are all right too. I've had some positive comments for this photo I took today. Hopefully it will help members get into the Christmas spirit. 😊