Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent

I'm the honorary president! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

edited August 2023

A US soldier stationed in South-Korea was about to be sent home because of a fight he was involved in. But instead he managed to infiltrate a group of tourists visiting the border to the workers 'paradise to the north. There he suddenly ran across the border while shouting "Hahahaha!". Interesting choice. The soldier in question hasn't been seen since.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I can't find somewhere to post this so I though here would be as good.

I bought a hard back copy of Trigger Mortis on the very day it was first in the shops. I can't remember how long ago that was but I have not read it yet!

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,459Chief of Staff

You should give it a go, Joshua, and if you like it he wrote 2 more afterwards.

edited August 2023

There's a flood in the inland region North of Oslo (floods and extreme drought seems to happen a lot around the world lately. It's probably a coincidence and nothing to worry about .... ). An elderly woman was interviewed on TV. "I don't think I'll evacuate. My plan is to move to the second bedroom nearest the road. If the river gets any bigger it probably won't take more than half the house.

I'm not easily scared, no. Why do you ask?" ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters

I recommend all 3 Anthony Horowitz Bond novels Joshua, and in my opinion Trigger Mortis was the best of them all. I hope you enjoy the read. I don't know if you've read the Fleming books or not, but Horowitz's books are meant to belong in the same timeframe as the originals.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,319MI6 Agent

There seems to be a spate of people racking up large restaurant bills and then doing a runner in the UK. Shops are also being advised to shut the doors when shoplifting raids are planned on social media. What is it with people who think it’s perfectly acceptable to steal? It’s the present trend of entitlement - they think that working to earn money to spend is beneath them. These raids are nothing more than looting so shoot the f%@&#$¥!, that will stop them!

I suffered from shoplifters at my bookstore at times - it’s bloody annoying. Once, one of my regulars, a wiry, very tough Scot, spotted one and had a “talk” with him down an alley nearby. Never saw him again ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

There are more upsides to the system CHB suggests. A hot-headed and frugal shop-owner could shoot customers who don't tip or even are rude to the staff and just claim the customer was shop-lifting. Imagine how much better customers the place will get after a while! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,306MI6 Agent
    edited September 2023

This week, along with the pleasure of a new Rolling Stones single dropping, and an Indian summer, we have had this gem of a silly season story, albeit in name only as Parliament resumed too, usually such stories occur in summer recess.

Now, by the time you read this, this escaped prisoner from Wandworth Jail might have been captured but everything about this story so far fills me with joy. A 'suspected terrorist' - so he's banged up but not an actual terrorist - accused of planting 'fake bombs' - FAKE bombs? What a disgrace, calls himself a terrorist! - getting a job as a prison chef - putting one in mind of Godber in the 70s sitcom Porridge - and going out in his chef's uniform, not to mention he looks like a hot felon who wants his selfie to be seen on national TV, the gormless response of the Met officer interviewed on the day, the police's hot new info, that he was seen departing the van he escaped under - well, that's it then, they've got him cornered, and the latest story. that the prison porter was mistaken by the police for Daniel Khalife himself.

All on top of the usual Tory Party ineptitude via cost-cutting as concrete buildings threaten to fall on kids in classrooms, as BBC4 re-shows The Thick of It alongside Some Mothers Do Ave Em, aptly enough.

It compares with the year's other silly season story - the anonymous BBC presenter said to have sent nude photos to a teenager, a real whodunnit, impossible (for me, anyway) to find out via any search engine who it was, just when you think - omg it's Clive Myrie! he pops up on telly, no, not him then, it's Graham Norton, or maybe Nicky Campbell, of course like the main suspect getting bumped off in a Christie thriller, you are forced to reconsider until the culprit is eventually unveiled - Huw Edwards! After announcing the Queen's death too! And week's before the King's Coronation! Not quite on a par with being unable to show those editions of Top of the Pops with Jimmy Savile or Dave Lee Travis presenting, but not great either.

What times we live in.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

A chieftain's burial mound from the 3d or 4th century AD. The park next to my sister's house has about fourty of them.

@Number24 That looks very peaceful, but at night is there any cinematic style poltergeist activity? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I rarely visit the park at night, but it seems likely ...

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,698MI6 Agent
    edited September 2023

I see someone's been having some fun on (the otherwise very serious) LinkedIn:

Sir Hugo Drax - TU Berlin - San Diego, California, United States | LinkedIn

๐Ÿ˜€

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,302MI6 Agent

I should tap to follow...

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,306MI6 Agent

Looks like Sir Michael Caine really has retired from acting - unless it's a ruse to drum up more business for his film The Great Escaper, currently in cinemas.

Probably a reason for Christoper Nolan to not do the Bond film, given his usual talisman or lucky charm will not be available!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Planning to go see that movie on Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

I’m hoping it’s going to be in the cinemas here but I doubt it will be commercial enough for the Philippine market, I will have to wait until it turns up on my streaming service.

edited October 2023

Prince Christian of Denmark celebrated his 18th birthday in Christiansborg castle last Sunday. Prince Christian is sitting on the right in this picture:

After the party a single shoe was found without an owner. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Link to a picture of the high-heeled shoe on the Danish royal family's instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/CydeENrNum2/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d4cb6e64-a6d0-4ccc-9d85-5fa812fb4a2a

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,698MI6 Agent

This morning I heard the racehorse General Medrano mentioned on the sports news on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme. A nice little reference to the villainous character in Quantum of Solace (2008) which made me smile. More details on the horse here:

https://www.elitesyndicates.co.uk/Home/ShareInfo/?PID=ihzflzzaysseuzozeclctbaufobbzchitmhsbaoh

https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/3448753/general-medrano/form

Take that horse back to the stable and give it a kiss!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited November 2023

Believe it or not: Some of the steel from the German battle ship Tirpitz (sunk by British bombers in northern Norway in 1944) was cut up to be used as plowshares! "Swords" to plowshares.

This farm still uses a plow made from Tirpitz steel:

Steel from the battleship is still used to repairs holes in roads:

Anyone remember these adverts in the American comics back in the 60’s. Talk about misrepresentation ๐Ÿ˜‚

The seaside variety show is long dead and gone, unfortunately, a whole nights entertainment and best seats only 75p !!

I remember! And at the moment my granddaughters have what I think are these. They don't appear very exciting.

Did anyone on here go and see this triple bill? I did. My memory is vague of where it was, I think it may have been at the Empire, Leicester Square, it was in 1983 a few days before the release of NSNA, clearly done to try and put a spoke into Connery’s return, but showing TB was odd, I would have thought they would have ran another Roger film. Only time I’ve ever been to a cinema with three Bonds being shown. But I was at a Bond Fan Convention in the 80’s where three were shown during the whole day but with long breaks in between.

I think we know by now that Autocorrect has a sense of humor. Just an hour ago a friend texted me and asked if silencers are legal in war. It is, but the reply my friend got was "silencers are lively in war" (legal and lively only differ with one letter in Norwegian). ๐Ÿคฃ

22 November. 60 years ago today, JFK was assassinated. I remember it all over the TV that night. First time I had heard of him, as a 7 year-old, but I have become fascinated by this event ever since. Even went to the grassy knoll and book depository in the early 90’s which was turned into a museum. Lots of people selling magazines and books around Dealey Plaza, lots of conspiracy theory stuff, a great day out.

It's been the low hanging fruit for conspiracy theorists ever since. Books, movies, TV "documentaries", and more recently YouTube videos by the hundred.

It didn't take long to overtake the then most common conspiracy theory, ie that Hitler was still alive and hiding in South America. That one was over time superseded by him being cryogenically frozen or having children ready to take over the world.

And running almost equal with the JFK theories are of course the moon landing ones.

So we have a conspiracy theory thread? Is there demand for one if we don't?

Definite ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป for a conspiracy theory thread.

We sure do have a conspiracy theory thread, authored by yours truly:

Silhouette Man's "Strange and Bizarre" Mysterious World Thread — ajb007

๐Ÿ™‚