The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    Asylum Of The Daleks

What an amazing episode to launch the new series. Easily the best Dalek episode since 'Dalek' because of the engaging story attached to it. I always found that the Tennant era Dalek episodes put too much emphasis on the spectacle. With Asylum, we got the best of both worlds. That is, an action packed Dalek episode with a really engrossing story complete with a couple of plot twists, one of which may concern a future companion.

Gone are the days where the Daleks can be scary since there's only so many things that they can say or do in their iconic appearance. It's really more of a question as to whether we can take them seriously. After watching Asylum, it was the best treatment of the Daleks since the Eccleston story, 'Dalek' because we got a much better sense of why they're a threat. The CGI was minimal which meant that, generally, the less is more approach was taken rather than having millions of Daleks flying through the air only to be defeated by the flip of a lever as seen in the two part finale of series 2. In Asylum, that sense of threat and danger was brought back where it had been absent for their last few appearances.

5 out of 5
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    Just seen the first new episode. Disappointment there wasn't much Classic Dalek action aside, this one was okay. Liked the references made to the planets in where the Daleks who survived the Doctor were on and the lack of Disney music when Rory was on his own with the Daleks. Seeing JLC earlier than planned in this series was certainly a shock and the revelation that she was a Dalek was also a nice surprise. Let us hope that Moffat doesn't botch this one up like he usually does when it comes to this sort of thing. Smith's acting in this one was excellent; certainly better than when he's given a script and director which has him acting like a CBBC presenter. Shame he might have to go back to doing just that with the next episode. The divorce sub-plot does seem tacked on, as already pointed out. Why couldn't they just pass that one up? Plus, the "Doctor Who?" scene at the end, although if it was just mentioned by the Daleks would've been okay due to their obession to repeat themselves, was also annoying due to it constantly being mentioned by the Doctor after the TARDIS left the Dalek ship. Still, nice idea to wipe the Daleks' memory of him due to his attempt to keep a low profile following the last series.

So, on that note, I'm giving this one a 7/10.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Have seen quite a lot of fans pointing out that there WERE classic Daleks in it, and then pointing to a few seconds in a linked clip "and if you peer into the darkened corner..." For me, it felt like a bit of a cheat when they had built it up so much. Not happy that we're back to RTD era gold Daleks either. Tbh, I was happier with the new brightly coloured ones and feel that the Daleks need a proper colour update after 7 years.

I struggled to buy into the plot - the regular Daleks just didn't seem mean enough. The asylum Daleks were appropriately menacing though. I'm not too sure how well wiping the Daleks memory will turn out, despite initially thinking it was a good idea. The Doctor has got too cocky whenever he sees them now, he knows he can defeat them and I worry that wiping their memory's won't make any difference.

Oh and the divorce thing is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Interested to see where the JLC character thing goes.

Despite my problems with it, it wasn't too bad an episode I guess. Plenty of action, decent dialogue and scary asylum Daleks. But for an opening episode it just wasn't strong enough. Let's Kill Hitler was a terrible opener last Autumn IMO and I didn't really like most of the last season. I loved all of Steven Moffat's contributions before he took over and I loved Series 5 but apart from a few episodes, I found Series 6 weak and this series seems to be heading in the same direction already.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{

Despite my problems with it, it wasn't too bad an episode I guess. Plenty of action, decent dialogue and scary asylum Daleks. But for an opening episode it just wasn't strong enough. Let's Kill Hitler was a terrible opener last Autumn IMO and I didn't really like most of the last season. I loved all of Steven Moffat's contributions before he took over and I loved Series 5 but apart from a few episodes, I found Series 6 weak and this series seems to be heading in the same direction already.

Series 6 was a real mixed bag. The first half, episode for episode, was amongst some of the best ever. But after the mid-year break, the second was just completely lacking.
    edited September 2012
    Dinosaurs On A Spaceship

image.jpg

I wasn't optimistic about this episode. Truthfully, I didn't like it too much, though there was a little more substance to the story than the title, but that isn't saying a lot. I found that a lot of noise, CGI and the vivacious score playing over the episode stood in the way of what could have been an interesting episode, but overall it got a little cartoonish. To the episode's credit, Matt's more subdued take on his character has (surprisingly) continued. It was especially surprising to see the Doctor leave David's character to die so coldly, it was very 007. I liked that. David Bradley gave a wonderful performance as a villain though the script could have provided some more menace for David to chew on given how expertly he handled the material provided.

Meanwhile, Queen Nefertiti was annoying and plot filler just like the failed, turgid attempts at humour (the golf balls line comes to mind). Then, we have David Mitchell and Robert Webb, arguably two of Britain's finest contemporary comedians read lines that frankly could have been delivered by any actor with a background in voice over work. Their comedic genius was nowhere near utilised. Overall, unremarkable but hasn't left any scars to speak of, ala Love and Monsters.

2.5 out of 5
    I rather enjoyed last night's ep. I think this was possibly down to having such low expectations that it wasn't going to have to do much to impress me :)) I spent a lot of time oggling Rupert Graves so didn't pay much attention to what was going on in his scenes ;%
    I felt it was an improvement on last week's ep, although I still don't think the series is at its best so far.

Meanwhile... I'm selling my classic series Doctor Who videos on eBay. Pick up only as there are so many. I just don't have room for them any more I'm afraid. It's hard to part with certain ones but like I say, no room and I'm a poor student so I'd appreciate people's money :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Doctor-Who-Videos-Hartnell-Troughton-Pertwee-Baker-Davison-Dr-VHS-Video-/180970454065?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Videos&hash=item2a22adfc31#ht_758wt_1271
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    I now have BBC America, and it's strange to actually get new Doctor Who episodes the same day they air in the UK--well, minus five hours or so. Interesting how modern and up-to-date the show is, with CG dinosaurs and multi-ethnic companions. . .but still we've got people running around chasing triceratops and the Hogwarts maintenance man inside a spaceship that's about to be missiled by Indians, making you wonder just what the writer was smoking while drafting the script. Yep, it's just like old times! Still, knowing how knowledgeable kids today are about dinosaurs, you have to wonder how they can get away with calling pteranodons "pterodactyls." Really. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    Joel wrote:

Series 6 was a real mixed bag. The first half, episode for episode, was amongst some of the best ever. But after the mid-year break, the second was just completely lacking.

I feel that way but in reverse.
    A Town Called Mercy

I would easily put this one amongst one of Matt Smith's top ten, it was flawless and one of my favourite episodes every in every possible way. Terrific set design, costumes, a straight forward story that suits the western and sci-fi hybrid they were going for plus generally a really well paced episode. Matt's performance was also one of his best and possibly one of his darkest and most relentless. I think this is the watershed season for his Doctor where we'll start to see some of his more mercurial qualities surface, a little bit like Sylvester McCoy's Doctor in 1989.

It also gave me a genuine laugh out loud moment when the Doctor walked into the bar and asked for tea requesting that she "leave the bag in" which I thought was a funny homage to those old westerns where the protagonist would ask the barman to "...leave the bottle..."

Outstanding, one of my favourite ever episodes of Doctor Who.

6 out of 5
    Hmm, well, I couldn't help but think the episode was inspired by Dan Craig's ill-fated Cowboys and Aliens. What's more, the Gunslinger (the name of Yul Brynner's robot character in Westworld--which hunts down modern people in a western town) is a dead-ringer for Next Generation's Borg. So, low marks for originality, but an entertaining episode nonetheless. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,763Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Hmm, well, I couldn't help but think the episode was inspired by Dan Craig's ill-fated Cowboys and Aliens. What's more, the Gunslinger (the name of Yul Brynner's robot character in Westworld--which hunts down modern people in a western town) is a dead-ringer for Next Generation's Borg. So, low marks for originality, but an entertaining episode nonetheless. . .

They said that this episode was "loosely based" on Westworld....

I have to say the last two episodes haven't been that good....rather disappointing infact...especially after the great opening to the series with Asylum Of The Daleks...but then Moffat wrote that one, but not the next two...
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Yeh, I thought the same thing... and good call with the Borg lookylikey :D

Loved the one liners... the one about the phone charger, and the horse called Susan :)) Although I had to explain both to my 7 year old... still not sure he understood though :(
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    The Power Of Three

This episode more than makes up for Chibnall's last writing contribution, Dinosaurs On A Spaceship. Although it wasn't the best of the season, it's definitely an episode of high praise. I felt that the looming threat of the elusive, inert cubes was almost as intelligent a plot device as the weeping angels. I say almost because despite the tension surrounding them and the gradual build up to the big reveal, it just turned out to be the driving force of yet another cardboard cut-out alien wanting to destroy humanity. It was at this point I felt let down because the cubes had me really intrigued given how "lifeless" they were yet how threatening they seemed, like The Angels. From this oversimplified plot device followed a sudden, flick of the switch type resolution that saw everyone live happily ever after.

But there was too much stuff that I enjoyed in this episode for it to be ruined by just that. It's a shame that we won't get to see more of Rory's Dad because he is a great character. The feel of the episode was overall pretty good because of the "domestic" feel to it. Then there's Brigadier's daughter. As a fan of the now late character, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, this was definitely a surprise and it was tastefully handled because they avoided "he used to tell me about this mission" or "do you remember when you and him..." Instead, they just gave us a character of great personality and substance. This is after all what we remembered Brigadier for.

Though a little patchy toward the end, an overall redeeming effort by Chibnall.

4 out of 5
    It was an interesting episode, and I enjoyed it. During the episode I kept asking myself, "Who's playing the wrinkly villain? I'll kick myself when I discover who it is!" Indeed I did want to kick myself when I saw his name in the closing credits: Steven Berkoff, General Orlov himself! Good to see him still causing trouble. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

The Angels Take Manhattan

Ok, I have to retract a recent review. A Town Called Mercy is 5 out of 5, this one deserves the 6! To me, this episode exemplified the saying, "brevity is the soul of wit." I don't know if a two-parter will ever be suspenseful again because this 44 minute episode packed more pace, intellect and emotional punch than any two-parter i've seen. It was the story that deserved a happy ending, but we ended up getting both. Hands down, Moffat's best writing yet, just when I thought he had his best work behind him. Although Rory could have done with a little bit more closure, I really felt this was the pair at their very best and ultimately, further evidence of Matt's development in the role.

The episode even provided what I felt was one of the most chilling and genuinely nail-biting moments of the series - the ledge. Perfectly scripted, performed and timed. This episode alone makes Matt a stronger Doctor to me than David was. I actually hope he sticks around another year or two more, his best is clearly yet to come.

Just for fun:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1385&d=1349001135

6 out of 5
    I thoroughly agree, Joel.

It was brilliant and I couldn't have asked for more. I don't think I will ever be able to watch it again though, as I spent about the last 20 minutes crying!
    I love the angels and I felt they worked really well here. I think Moffat has produced a wonderful story and there was plenty there for every character.
    I agree with you that I'd like Matt Smith to stick around for a while longer. This half a series seems like his best yet and I'd really love to see what else he could bring to the role.

Something that hit me during this ep was the realisation that River might not be sticking around that much longer, which really saddened me. When she said that she was a professor now, it was another step towards what we know as her death. I do hope she stays in it for some time to come though!

Something that hit me during this ep was the realisation that River might not be sticking around that much longer, which really saddened me. When she said that she was a professor now, it was another step towards what we know as her death. I do hope she stays in it for some time to come though!

To be honest, I stopped being a Riversong fan after the last series because we didn't learn anything new. With the promise of a new revelation each time she visited or a dark impending day, it never really delivered and it felt all the same. That said, this episode really gave some substance to the character and is a fitting episode to see her off (apart from Matt's future regeneration episode).

If I really had to nit-pick, I would have cut the scene with Amy and Rory in the cemetery because the outcome was exactly the same in the end. Instead, have their final moment on the ledge and then cut to the Doctor looking to their headstones and then reading the afterward in the noir novel. It just would have made the closure that bit tighter, especially since Rory's true grand finale was on the ledge.
    Trailer for the Christmas Special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KVpvEUTns
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Here is the poster for this years Christmas Special.

Doctor Who Christmas special - The Snowmen poster unveiled
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/20507050

_64399790_1ae5fced-d6da-4b5d-a128-eb70319f6837.jpg
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    This year's Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Snowmen, premieres in the UK on BBC One at 5.15pm, Christmas Day. The US premiere is on BBC America at 8pm/c, Christmas Day.

BBC UK
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/

BBC America
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/guide/specials/the-snowmen/
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    This year's Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Snowmen, premieres in the UK on BBC One at 5.15pm, Christmas Day. The US premiere is on BBC America at 8pm/c, Christmas Day.

BBC UK
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/

BBC America
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/guide/specials/the-snowmen/

You are a star..my son and I are off to Canada this Christmas...Oliver SUPER excited, although he has said the only downside about going is that he won't be able to watch Dr Who...but no fear! My parents are subscribers to BBC America, so he can now enjoy it.

My son thanks you for posting this :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    You are a star..my son and I are off to Canada this Christmas...Oliver SUPER excited, although he has said the only downside about going is that he won't be able to watch Dr Who...but no fear! My parents are subscribers to BBC America, so he can now enjoy it.

My son thanks you for posting this :D

Pass on my best wishes to your son Oliver. I wish you both a safe trip and hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)
  • NeverSayDieNeverSayDie Posts: 495MI6 Agent
    I have a full size replica of the David Tennant TARDIS in my living room.
    It was decorated yesterday in time for Christmas.
    This years Christmas Special will feature a revamped theme tune and opening title sequence. Fans of the famous Doctor Who theme tune need not worry as the new arrangement remains true to the original. Also featured in the Christmas Special is a new look interior of the Tardis.

Revamped Theme Tune and Opening Title Sequence
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Revamped-Theme-Tune-and-Opening-Title-Sequence

New Look TARDIS Materialises at Christmas!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/New-Look-TARDIS-Materialises-at-Christmas

p0124h58.jpg
    A prequel to Christmas Special episode, The Snowmen. Madame Vastra is called upon to investigate a Victorian murder mystery. But where is the Doctor?

Doctor Who: The Snowmen Prequel: Vastra Investigates: Christmas Special
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rirju6is4Sw
    A US based Doctor Who fan has built a model of the Tardis designed to look bigger on the inside than its outside. Rather than circumvent the laws of physics Greg Kumparak has relied on augmented reality. The actual interior of his wooden model features a zebra-striped fabric. But when a smartphone is held in front of it running an augmented reality app, it appears to show a spacious interior modelled on the ninth and tenth Doctors' time machine.

The FULL article + video.
    DIY Tardis looks bigger on inside with augmented reality
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20836747
    edited December 2012
    To mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who in 2013, the Royal Mail is to release a set of stamps in March. All eleven TV Doctor's will feature on their own first class stamp, while four of the most notorious villains, including the Daleks and Cybermen, feature on the second class set. Andrew Hammond of the Royal Mail said the commemorative selection "pays tribute to the brilliant actors that have played the Doctor over the years, as well as the adversaries that helped to make the show so popular."

The FULL article.
    Royal Mail reveals Doctor Who stamps
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20838728

_64935546_64935545.jpg

_64936187_64936186.jpg
    Stars of Doctor Who, including Matt Smith, are hosting special talks next year as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations. British Film Institute bosses are planning a series of events for the 'Doctor Who at 50' tribute, to be held at the BFI Southbank in London throughout 2013. Stars of the show will chat with fans at monthly question and answer sessions, rare footage will be screened, and a preview of Mark Gatiss' new drama 'An Adventure In Space And Time' will also be unveiled.

DOCTOR WHO ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS SET FOR 2013
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/367302/Doctor-Who-anniversary-celebrations-set-for-2013
    The BBC has released a trailer for the second half of season seven that is due to be broadcast next April.

DOCTOR WHO Coming Soon Teaser 2013 - BBC America
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqXZepqgMQ
    To commemorate the 50th anniversary, plans to release a new series of short stories have been announced. Released monthly, the eleven "eshorts" will each be written by a different acclaimed children's author and will feature one of the Doctor's regenerations, starting with William Hartnell who appeared between 1963 - 1966. The author of the first book is due to be revealed on the Doctor Who Facebook page on Monday 7 January, with their story to be published on Wednesday 23 January.

The FULL article.
    Series of Doctor Who short stories announced to celebrate 50th anniversary
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-03/series-of-doctor-who-short-stories-announced-to-celebrate-50th-anniversary