The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent

" 'thunderously racist' for its failure to cast black and Asian characters"

Oh for goodness sake, have people really said that!? How childish.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    IMHO Dr Who has made great strides over the years to include many different actors from all races.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    The BBC have confirmed that Matt Smith will make his final appearance as the Doctor in the 2013 Christmas special....which is a great shame...
    YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Not exactly his last appearance. That will be in August next year ;)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:

Hasn't that been filmed already though ? :p
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Nope.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Nope.

Really ? I've seen pics of them filming it in the papers...
    YNWA 97
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Perfect timing.

Now, the hard part - casting the replacement.

Wouldn't mind an older, wiser lead this time. Something the post-2005 (and, dare I say i,t post 1989, even) audience haven't seen.
    Perfect timing.

Now, the hard part - casting the replacement.

Wouldn't mind an older, wiser lead this time. Something the post-2005 (and, dare I say i,t post 1989, even) audience haven't seen.

Mmmm...don't think that will happen....I think they will still go young-ish...it's been said they already know whom will take over - which makes sense....unless they go for a MUCH-older established actor...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Nope.

No, they've not got any scripts or anything ready for next years series yet, so they won't start filming until late this year, early next. They're still working on the 50th and Christmas Specials.
    edited June 2013
    Sir Miles wrote:
    it's been said they already know whom will take over - which makes sense....

Yes, that would be most prudent, considering the current worldwide value of the DW marque. (Any info, Aspy? :)) ;) )

Would like to see someone without the Tennant/Smith tics and twiches and mugging. Someone with a bit more solid grivatas and confidence, perhaps?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Nope.

No, they've not got any scripts or anything ready for next years series yet, so they won't start filming until late this year, early next. They're still working on the 50th and Christmas Specials.

But Matt won't be in the next series....so I'm sure that will be his last appearance ;)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yes, that would be most prudent, considering the current worldwide value of the DW marque. (Any info, Aspy? :)) ;) )

Would like to see someone without the Tennant/Smith tics and twiches. Someone with a bit more solid grivatas and confidence, perhaps?

I know Russell Tovey has long been admired by them to take over....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

But Matt won't be in the next series....so I'm sure that will be his last appearance ;)

He is, briefly. Which is why I said that the Christmas Episode won't be his last screen appearance as the Doc.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Would like to see someone without the Tennant/Smith tics and twiches. Someone with a bit more solid grivatas and confidence, perhaps?

I know Russell Tovey has long been admired by them to take over....

Mm. Not really what I had in mind as a departure from the Tennant/Smith mould.... ;)

I can do without my Time Lord going through emotional crisis every episode.

Give me a DW of the Sean Bean variety. I want to see a Dalek **** itself when he knows the Doc is coming :p
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

He is, briefly. Which is why I said that the Christmas Episode won't be his last screen appearance as the Doc.

Is that the 50th anniversary special ? I know a lot of that has been filmed...and it has do with regenerations....
    YNWA 97
    The 50th is out in November. This obviously introduces a new Doctor with John Hurt and is all about the Time War and regenerations.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The 50th is out in November. This obviously introduces a new Doctor with John Hurt and is all about the Time War and regenerations.

Ah right, November....the story has been leaked, didn't know when it was out though :)) this 'new' 9th Doctor means that he only has one regeneration left...but it was said that the BBC decided to 'ignore' that piece of lore some time ago...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Ah right, November....the story has been leaked, didn't know when it was out though :)) this 'new' 9th Doctor means that he only has one regeneration left...but it was said that the BBC decided to 'ignore' that piece of lore some time ago...

I'm pretty sure the Beeb willl actually address the 13 regenerations anomaly in the Anniversary show. Aspy, anything on that?
    The whole 13 regeneration limit is addressed in the Special.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The whole 13 regeneration limit is addressed in the Special.

That is what Moffat is supposed to have said...but some Who fan sites reported that the BBC had decided to ignore it...I'm glad its the former...
    YNWA 97
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Rory Kinnear is the favourite to replace Matt Smith as the Doctor. Ben Whishaw may be too high profile for the role according to insiders. Other potential successors include Russell Tovey, Stephen Mangan and Tom Hiddleston. Fan favourite Benedict Cumberbatch has apparently ruled himself out.

Actor Rory Kinnear is favourite to replace current Doctor Who star Matt Smith
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/actor-rory-kinnear-favourite-replace-1928557
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Moore Than wrote:
    Rory Kinnear is the favourite to replace Matt Smith as the Doctor. Ben Whishaw may be too high profile for the role according to insiders. Other potential successors include Russell Tovey, Stephen Mangan and Tom Hiddleston. Fan favourite Benedict Cumberbatch has apparently ruled himself out.

Actor Rory Kinnear is favourite to replace current Doctor Who star Matt Smith
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/actor-rory-kinnear-favourite-replace-1928557

Obviously, they couldn't get Hugh Bonneville then? ;)
    I see Idris Elba getting a mention as a new Dr Who, which means if he takes it
    He will not be available to play Bond. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Matt Smith's successor as the Doctor will be revealed this Sunday (4th August) live on BBC One at 7pm.

Who Will Be The Next Doctor?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dlmj4
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/capaldi-tipped-tardis-helm-164015198.html

Capaldi tipped to take Tardis helm,Bookmakers have suspended betting on the new Doctor Who because they are convinced Peter Capaldi has got the job.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/capaldi-tipped-tardis-helm-164015198.html

Capaldi tipped to take Tardis helm,Bookmakers have suspended betting on the new Doctor Who because they are convinced Peter Capaldi has got the job.

And he has :D

Interesting casting....will have to wait and see -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Hmmm. . .interesting that the Doctor will leap from about 30 to 55! Have to admit, I hadn't heard the name Peter Capaldi before (then again, I hadn't heard of Matt Smith either), but I've actually seen a few of the things he's been in. As Lexi says, we'll have to wait and see. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    He's an absolutely brilliant actor. Great choice to bring the series back on track.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    He's an absolutely brilliant actor. Great choice to bring the series back on track.

I think Matt Smith has been brilliant....I was just disappointed with the majority of the writing for the last series...
    YNWA 97