The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    I guess we were all expecting to be underwhelmed after all the hype, right?

But I do think crucially Moff took a shotgun aim at his foot and pulled the trigger in casting McGann (albeit very briefly) and Hurt, far more capable, interesting and charismatic performers than Tennant with his mugging and Smith looning about (though at their own level they were funny joking about together).

And I know old Tom was only there for the "fans" but were they hoping he'd die while filming?
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Well I for one thoroughly enjoyed it!
    I found it both funny and moving and as a Tennant fan was really glad to see him back one more time (though admittedly he looked a bit podgier than when last in the role, which made those lines from Matt Smith about him being "stick thin" inappropriate, especially when Smith looked even thinner!)

All in all though I thought it an excellent episode worthy of the 50th anniversary.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Has anyone else noticed the coma of hair that falls over his right eye ?
    As Fleming described with Bond. :D forgot to point out it's Matt Smith.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    'Doctor Who' screening stuns at Monday box office, No. 2 after 'Catching Fire' - Entertainment Weekly
    http://tinyurl.com/ky7f4y4
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Doctor Who beats Olympics on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25203441
    Doctor Who: how Matt Smith handed over to Peter Capaldi with just a big hug - Herald Scotland
    http://tinyurl.com/pqhnyox
    Doctor Who: Why Matt Smith is the best Doctor ever - Metro
    http://tinyurl.com/nahhlyr
    Doctor Who's Orla Brady: 'I'm good at secrets' - BBC News
    http://tinyurl.com/o9mpez4
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    And WHAT about the Doctor is "average?"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Very true :)) but I'd guess His shoe size. :D
    Doctor Who change tops TV ratings http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25518352
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,606Chief of Staff

But it lost out to Mrs Brown's Boys for overall viewing figures....I have both recorded...looking forward to watching them...
    YNWA 97
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    Didn't watch Dr who but did watch Mrs Brown's boys, very funny.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    Doctor Who Christmas Special The Time Of The Doctor Breaks BBC America ... - Entertainmentwise
    http://tinyurl.com/ng84jmo
    So what did everyone think of the Christmas special and our first glimpse of Capaldi in the role?

I must confess, as a rather more casual viewer, I found this episode a bit of a struggle to keep up with at times - lots of references back to earlier episodes that I prob didn't pick up. All the same though, it was enjoyable.

Matt Smith's regeneration was considerably quicker than Tennant's a few years back but was every bit as poignant (I especially liked the removal of the bow tie) and then we had Capaldi! As usual too soon to tell if I'll warm to him in the role (as with Matt Smith at the time) but left me waiting for more.

I understand that it's back in about 9 months?
    Capaldi's first appearance reminded me a bit of Colin Baker's. . .confused and disoriented. Still, I liked his lines: "I can't tell the color of my kidneys!" and especially, at the helm of the TARDIS, "Do you know how to fly this?"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I agree Capaldi's Dr seemed confused, I suppose they would say it was because of this being an odd
    Regeneration. I've read many are not happy about Capaldi being cast due to his age. While I think he's
    a great actor and expect him to become one of the best Doctors.
    The Christmas episode was fun and moving ( as always) , I thought after D Tennant they'd have a
    hard job finding a replacement but ( IMHO)Matt Smith did a wonderful job.
    Recently I watched many Colin Baker shows and have to say I was really warming to his Doctor
    Just as they got rid if him.
    It certainly jars suddenly seeing this gaunt, wisened old bloke standing in Smith's place; I think this will be a challenge for Capaldi as a performer to overcome and, I suspect, there will be a certain unease among the production team until they are vindicated; for the first time since new Who, they have cast against the preferred unattractive-attractative man-boy type that seems so vogue in popular entertainment.

The shows rather than this glimpse, though, will prove that either way.
    :)) I happy to have a Doctor who, is older than me, I can go on pretending I'm still
    just a youngster, ;) . I do think he's a brilliant actor and will prove himself over time.
    Personally, I'm tired of the Doctor's companions being in love with him and with the Doctor actively pursuing romantic relationships: bring back the asexual father- (or grandfather-) figure!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Maybe with this Doctor they might be trying to get back to that father figure. I too was never
    a fan of the romantic connection of recent series.
    I think all of us of "a certain age" have had enough of the new Docs's companions falling head-over for him - though Jo Grant and Sarah Jane did, they were never part of a conveyor belt of lust that began with McGann and the rather lovely Grace Holloway and has continued a-pace as a matter of course since.

Indeed, one of the most interesting elements going forward is how Clara - a major gusher - is extrapolated from the older Capaldi Doc.

As noted before, though, I hope the Who-buying public - the yooof - agree with my views.
    I think all of us of "a certain age" have had enough of the new Docs's companions falling head-over for him - though Jo Grant and Sarah Jane did, they were never part of a conveyor belt of lust that began with McGann and the rather lovely Grace Holloway and has continued a-pace as a matter of course since.

Indeed, one of the most interesting elements going forward is how Clara - a major gusher - is extrapolated from the older Capaldi Doc.

As noted before, though, I hope the Who-buying public - the yooof - agree with my views.

Yes, these are valid observations. I remember the outcry from Who fans when McGann kissed Grace in the 90s, but the "love element"seems to be par the course nowadays. The modern Who has made the character accessible to all (unlike some of the incredibly self indulgent stories of the old Who) but with that unfortunately a pandering to the section of the new viewing demographic, ie teenage girls who fancied Tennant/Smith.

Reading some initial responses to Capaldi's unveiling it's unlikely they'll hold him in the same regard and I only hope that the writers don't try and characterise Capaldi's doctor this way a la "just because he's older doesn't mean he's not sexy etc"...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25921603

BBC put up the first picture of Dr Who's new look. I think it looks very good. -{
    Rest of the outfit looks really good, but never liked the seeing a top button fastened without a tie.

Particularly, on an older bloke. :D ;)
    I'm hoping he gets a tie of some sort, as I too think the shirt done up without a tie
    Looks very odd. :))
    It looks a bit "off," which I think is the point. I like it.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Peter Capaldi's new Doctor Who 'more like classic series' - Digital Spy UK
    http://tinyurl.com/nlxa46c