The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Peter Capaldi's new Doctor Who 'more like classic series' - Digital Spy UK
    http://tinyurl.com/nlxa46c

Is this 'cos he don't fit the yoof demographics of his immediate predecessors?

Or is it just another thing we've been promised which we're never going to get?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Ah promises. I recently watched loads of the C Eccleston shows and would hope
    they go back th that kind of " classic " style.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Personally, I'm fascinated by how they're going to re-write the Doc-Clara relationship.

Consider, she had a major gush on for Matty, who was/looked a similar age. Now Pete looks like her granddad, knacked and weedy...

Bit perv? Leslie Phillips in the Tardis? Just me?
    For me it just a novelty to have a Dr who's older than me again. They are
    going to have to make him a father figure again or yes it's going to feel
    very uncomfortable watching.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yup, the father-figure it has to be. Can see a cracking grandfather-granddaughter relationship working (Jenna does look VERRYY young, really - Dave, you're showing your age too!!!! :o ;) )

How you get there, however, is the difficult bit, what with the starting point and contemporary audience expectations...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,606Chief of Staff
    I took them to mean more of a grandfather/granddaughter dynamic when they said they would return to a "more like classic series" feel....as was the original series with Hartnell....guess I go back a bit further than both of you :)) :#
    YNWA 97
    ... well, I always wondered why they never pursued the Susan character.

Nearly 50 years, all the other classic tropes that have been resurrected, and yet Susan doesn't even warrant a mention??? And the plotlines are endless.

Or is the Doc's granddaughter the Beeb's equivalent of James Bond's bastard child? ;) :)
    As a kid I do remember Jon Pertwee ( the giant maggots, scared the life out of me ) :))
    Although I do count Tom Baker as my Doctor. -{ .
    Yup, as a kid I remember Pertwee and Unit and all those poor sods on earth being attacked every week. Terror on your doorstep! Brilliantly frightening!

Was really annoyed when Pertwee became Tom, and Tom become an irritation to me because he stayed on too long...

And as a kid I never even appreciated how cool Pertwee was!!!!
    Yup, as a kid I remember Pertwee and Unit and all those poor sods on earth being attacked every week. Terror on your doorstep! Brilliantly frightening!

Most of Pertwee's stories were set on Earth just to keep the budget costs down :))

Pertwee was (and still is) my favourite Doctor....but both Eccleston and Smith have been terrific....I'm looking forward to see what Capaldi brings...especially as he's been a lifelong fan of the show...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Pertwee was (and still is) my favourite Doctor....but both Eccleston and Smith have been terrific....I'm looking forward to see what Capaldi brings...especially as he's been a lifelong fan of the show...

Once a George Lazenby fan, always a Paul McGann fan. ;) :)

Fatally flawed to support the underdog. :#
    I'm not impressed with the tv film for McGann....way too 'Americanised' all round, not just in location....his very brief return in 'Night of the Doctor' showed FAR more promise....

Oh...I love Lazenby too....far better than people give him credit for -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I'm not impressed with the tv film for McGann....way too 'Americanised' all round, not just in location....his very brief return in 'Night of the Doctor' showed FAR more promise....

Oh...I love Lazenby too....far better than people give him credit for -{

Lazenby, obviously, was his own worst enemy.

McGann the victim of lousy marketing of his film, and AGAIN of Moff's insistence on the stunt casting of John Hurt after Chris Eccleston refused the 50th Anniv part. Should have let McGann do it having seen what he could do with "NIGHT OF...."

Doc #8. Royally shafted twice. Quite an achievement.
    McGann the victim of lousy marketing of his film, and AGAIN of Moff's insistence on the stunt casting of John Hurt after Chris Eccleston refused the 50th Anniv part. Should have let McGann do it having seen what he could do with "NIGHT OF...."

Doc #8. Royally shafted twice. Quite an achievement.

Hmmmm....the 50th Anniversary story needed a 'rogue' Doctor....one that he tried to forget....but it could have been 'shown' that McGann's Doctor filled that brief...that would have been an interesting road to go down....at least he stays as Doctor #8 - the rest all get bumped up one :))
    YNWA 97
    I too would've preferred McCann as the rogue Dr. From watching the special features
    on the Dr Who DVDs, I never knew how much J Per twee loved action, apparently when
    a mini hovercraft was used he bought one same with a mini speedboat they used. :))
    He did indeed...I think he liked tech too...and didn't he have a big roll to play in getting, what became known as the Whomobile, in the show...and all that Vesuvian karate :D
    YNWA 97
    I too would've preferred McCann as the rogue Dr.

Well, if they'd gone with McGann as they should, it would have been a great opportunity of a play-off between "classic" Who (which I guess we can consider McG represents) and the relaunch in the form of Tennant and Smith. Some nice riffs there, I think.

Great opportunity missed, IMO
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Just found this quote from Moffat, speaking to Doctor Who magazine about Capaldi's portrayal;

"There would be little point in making as radical a change as we’ve made unless you’re going to go quite different with the Doctor. Our vague idea is … the last two Doctors have been brilliant, and have been your ‘good boyfriend’ Doctors. But the Doctor isn’t always like that. There is the sort of Tom Baker, Christopher Eccelston end of the spectrum, where he is mad and dangerous and difficult. In a world with which you are familiar, you can make the Doctor more of a stranger again ... I think it was time for the show to flip around a bit"

This is very encouraging!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    -{ sounds great. :D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26320817

Samuel Anderson to join Dr Who as a companion.
    Taking pressure off any misunderstanding of the Olde Doc-Clara relationship? :o
    :)) yes, she can lust after him and leave the doc alone. :D
    http://home.bt.com/entertainment/tv/tvnews/doctor-who-banks-on-keeley-hawes-11363884461849
    Doctor Who banks on Keeley Hawes
    Keeley Hawes is to play a mysterious villain in the next series of Doctor Who.
    Doctor Who director Martinus dies http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26789825
    Just found out that Matt Smith is to be in the next Terminator film.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    did notice on the side of one of our wonderful London buses ,
    a poster advertising ,the horror channel for an episode of DR WHO, the two didnt seem quite to go together to me
    Price, Cushing , Lee, Karlof maybe :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Yes the Horror channel is showing some old Dr Who episodes from
    the start. ( I have loads on DVD ) :))
    Watching " The Green Death " ( Dr Who, on the horror channel ), I remember
    This one from my childhood, it's the one with the giant maggots :D they
    Scared the hell out of me as a kid. {[]
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Isn't that the one set in Wales and where Pertwee dresses as a milkman?
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Yes, he even dresses as a cleaning woman at one point. :D